PDA

View Full Version : Shaq's Top 5 centers list

SsKSpurs21
06-03-2011, 10:18 AM
A larger-then-life personality, O'Neal retires with career averages of 23.7 points, 10.9 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 2.3 blocks per game on 58.2 percent shooting, but his numbers jumped to 27 points, 11.8 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 2.5 blocks in 514 regular season games played in LA.

One of the game's greatest centers considers Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to be the best to play the position. And, excluding himself from the conversation, he considers Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Hakeem Olajuwon and David Robinson to be the top five centers of all time.

"Just to have my name mentioned next to those guys is a blessing," O'Neal said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6622124

Harry Callahan
06-03-2011, 10:56 AM
I totally agree with Shaq on his list. I saw them all play outside of Russell. Most of them I saw a bunch.

FromWayDowntown
06-03-2011, 11:01 AM
During the interview, he said his list was "Kareem . . . Mr. Russell . . . Mr. Chamberlain . . . Mr. Olajuwon . . . and Mr. Robinson."

He also said that he considers them all to have been among his favorite players.

Dex
06-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Robinson over Duncan? Interesting....particularly coming from Shaq.

Dex
06-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Oh, that's right....Duncan's a PF. :stirpot:

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Nice compliment for Robinson. Guess the Admiral finally got around to giving him an autograph.

ambchang
06-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Wow, given the amount of hate he had for Robinson, I found this to be shocking ...

While I am sure if Robinson was put in a situation with the right teammates (a PG who could actually shoot for once, and couple of three point shooters, and maybe a PF who isn't crazy), he could have won multiple championships as the centrepiece, I still have to be realistic and deal with what actually happened.

I probably would put the top 5 as Jabbar, Wilt, Russell, Hakeem, Moses. Then Shaq (reluctantly), and Robinson, Walton, Reed, Thurmond.

Sean Cagney
06-03-2011, 02:55 PM
He never hated David, he used to play around and use things for motivation and some took it too serious! Shaq was playing around talking crap alot of times.

Spurs da champs
06-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Oh, that's right....Duncan's a PF. :stirpot:

Tim is a CF he created a whole new position IMO.

"Center Forward"

Bukefal
06-03-2011, 05:13 PM
He never hated David, he used to play around and use things for motivation and some took it too serious! Shaq was playing around talking crap alot of times.

exactly.

He did not hate him. Its just good old sports rivalry, in the heat of games and talking smack. He also punched Barkley, but I think they are actually, I wouldn't say friends, but cool now. He does not hate Barkley

Budkin
06-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Damn... surprised he put Robinson in there.

outmap
06-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Pretty good list, I'd say he's right.

ohmwrecker
06-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Damn... surprised he put Robinson in there.

I'm not surprised at all. Shaq never would have hyped the rivalry if he didn't respect Dave. Also, Robinson put heartbreaking bookends on Shaq's 3peat so, he earned the respect.

wildbill2u
06-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Once old warriors get to a certain age they begin to respect their adversaries more.

If for no other reason than to enhance their own image. After all, if their opponents were no damn good, what does it say for their perfomances and records?

Sean Cagney
06-03-2011, 08:57 PM
you are wrong in so many ways the incident happened while shaq was sill in high school

shaq genuinely hated david

O'Neal also wrote that he wanted to dominate Robinson on the court ''because I got tired of the goody-two-shoes image he was throwing out there.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0903/nba.shaq.speaks.his.mind/content.4.html#ixzz1OGVyQjPc

Didn't David Robinson say one time Shaq Wrote a book? What was it in crayon? I swear he said that but can't find it right now :lmao:lmao

TwelveGs210
06-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Didn't David Robinson say one time Shaq Wrote a book? What was it in crayon? I swear he said that but can't find it right now :lmao:lmao no, a newscaster was walking with him asking if he was aware Shaq wrote a book, in it dissing him.. Robinsons exact response was a look of shock, and asked "what is it, a picture book?". Funny shit..

florige
06-03-2011, 11:02 PM
you are wrong in so many ways the incident happened while shaq was sill in high school

O'Neal also wrote that he wanted to dominate Robinson on the court ''because I got tired of the goody-two-shoes image he was throwing out there.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0903/nba.shaq.speaks.his.mind/content.4.html#ixzz1OGVyQjPc

Lol, that still doesn't mean he hated Robinson. Thats just your opinion. He probably disliked his game more after Robinson posted that 71 and beat him out for the scoring title in 95, but other than that I seriously doubt as arrogant as Shaq is would put a guy he hated personally as a top 5 center of all time. He could had just as easily put Ewing's name there over Robinson. And for the record I was shocked to see him mention David Robinson.

Sean Cagney
06-03-2011, 11:07 PM
no, a newscaster was walking with him asking if he was aware Shaq wrote a book, in it dissing him.. Robinsons exact response was a look of shock, and asked "what is it, a picture book?". Funny shit..

:wow:rollin:rollin

taps
06-04-2011, 01:29 AM
While I am sure if Robinson was put in a situation with the right teammates (a PG who could actually shoot for once, and couple of three point shooters, and maybe a PF who isn't crazy), he could have won

Not to mention a coach who was basically the prequel to Isaiah Thomas.

- I always dismissed the Robinson smack if for no other reason than the compliment he gave to Dave's defense a long time ago, saying [paraphrase] nobody defended him as well/straight up as Robinson did.
Besides, Shaq has always considered Timmy an untouchable legend, even giving him his one and only nickname (sorry "groundhog day" -blecch.) Yet he was constantly clowning the Spurs during the 2001-2002 8-1 skunking.

If you've been watching the last 20 years ya might have noticed O'Neal tends to talk out of both sides of his mouth. Just his idea of gamesmanship.

ohmwrecker
06-04-2011, 01:10 PM
You guys know that story about Robinson dissing Shaq when he was going to high school in SA isn't true, right?

Bukefal
06-04-2011, 01:21 PM

lol this doesnt say anything though.

But hey, im wrong in so many ways. you must be right then :lol

DMC
06-04-2011, 02:36 PM
DRob never dissed anyone. I've seen it personally where he would give an unknown kid his time, even as a rookie in the league, with no cameras or anyone around to point out what a great person David was. Of course I saw it, but it was eaves dropping, not an event. I've seen him on multiple occasions go out of his way to talk to people who he met about things, and he's still like that.

Andrew Cunanan
06-04-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm convinced Spurfan would rather see their mothers raped than have to listen to people shame D-Rob's name.

SenorSpur
06-04-2011, 04:55 PM
IMO, Robinson doesn't get mentioned enough for being the great player, and dominant defensive presence that he was. So it was shocking to hear Shaq give Big Dave his just due.

Calispursfan11
06-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Pretty good list, I'd say he's right.

Where did you get that mugshot of Manu. Hilarious!

DMC
06-04-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm convinced Spurfan would rather see their mothers raped than have to listen to people shame D-Rob's name.
Spurs = class

Sean Cagney
06-04-2011, 09:16 PM
You guys know that story about Robinson dissing Shaq when he was going to high school in SA isn't true, right?

I know it, he made that up for motivation IMO.

Ghazi
06-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Dy-0RWbbzd8

Axe Murderer
06-04-2011, 09:51 PM
crucify 'em Ghaz.

Don't you fucking dare think about letting them off the tree of woe!!

Ghazi
06-04-2011, 09:52 PM
:)

GSH
06-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Wow, given the amount of hate he had for Robinson, I found this to be shocking ...

I think people will finally begin to realize that there was always a lot of P.T. Barnum to Shaq. He said a lot of outrageous stuff, and he got rich doing it. I never thought he meant half of the things he said.

LkrFan
06-07-2011, 04:05 PM

I think I read somewhere that he made up a story about Robinson not signing an autograph for him when he was a teenager. He used that false story for motivation. :lol