PDA

View Full Version : 1st quarter, Detroit is up 17-4 what were u thinkin?

nkdlunch
06-10-2005, 08:54 AM
I was freakin scared. And when I saw Pop putting in Dbrown and big dogg, I was like, WTF?? But I knew somehow Spurs were gona pull it off. All I know is a mere 10 point lead is a huuuge lead in this series.

ambchang
06-10-2005, 08:57 AM
I was worried and frustrated that the Spurs are playing bad basketball. They underestimated the Piston's defense, which led to bad shots and turnovers. But then, the Spurs came back ever so quietly. I was surprised when the first quarter ended that they were only down by 3, and realized that if the Spurs played this bad and is only down by 3, they can probably take this game.

Jimcs50
06-10-2005, 08:57 AM
I knew the Spurs would shake off the rust by the 2nd Q...I was not worried at all.

MI21
06-10-2005, 09:01 AM
I was disturbed with the ease that Rasheed was shooting over Timmy and generally just the way the Spurs were executing offensively. I knew they weren't going to get blown out the whole game, but the way they were getting beat was dissapointing.

samikeyp
06-10-2005, 09:06 AM
I was thinking...."yep...looks like a team that has been off for eight days!"

gay abc
06-10-2005, 09:08 AM
where the hell my xanax was :lol

MadDog73
06-10-2005, 09:08 AM
I was thinking, "oh crap, it's last years Finals all over again!" (Pistons win Game 1 in LA, and then sweep their homecourt).

But that's why I'm a Bandwagon Fan!

(after the game I told my family I knew the Spurs would win all along. They all went "Shut Up!" :lol )

spursupporter
06-10-2005, 09:11 AM
relaxing on my sofa. i alway knew the spurs won't go down like that

sa_butta
I was scared but never gave up. I knew they would fight through, that was too early to give up. The Spurs are not just going to lay down and die. These are not the same Spurs that once they are down they are screwed, these guys can get back in the game at anytime. At the same token I was still worried in the fourth cause I know how quickly Detroit could have came back.

nkdlunch
relaxing on my sofa. i alway knew the spurs won't go down like that

liar!! :)

spur219
06-10-2005, 09:14 AM
I was a little worried but not too worried. I knew it was just a little rust and that they would shake it off. Spurs did a good job last night in not giving up and they came out with the victory.

SWC Bonfire
06-10-2005, 09:18 AM
"The spurs are getting their asses whooped."

Then they finally got something going, made a couple of baskets and I knew that everything would be better. But I did know that it would be harder to spot them a big lead; this ain't Phoenix's defense.

By halftime I was not in doubt of the game's outcome.

Useruser666
06-10-2005, 09:20 AM
I always knew they would win. The first quarter pissed me off because I knew it would take longer to get a big lead on them. I said at the break, that the Spurs would score more during the second half.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-10-2005, 09:31 AM
I didn't know shit, I was cursing my ass off! LOL, Then I calmed down a bit and in the second quarter the Spurs rebounded. They were playing like crap before the second quarter

duncan_21
06-10-2005, 09:39 AM
Before the game I expected the spurs to be rusty. I didn't expect the pistons would play that well. If it would've been last years team I would have been worried. I knew det has a lousy offense and that they would get tired because the spurs would where them down.

Plus this year unlike any other year we have two bona fide studs in the back court who can get their own shots. Expect game 2 to start offensively for the spurs like when they came back from that det barrage in the 1st quarter.

Tobias
06-10-2005, 09:40 AM
"The Spurs will shake it off in the 2nd"

TDMVPDPOY
06-10-2005, 09:46 AM
To tell you the truth i had an exam before the game, i had to rush home and catch the game on live stats and when the score was 17-4 and ur eyes are fucked and feelin sleepy there was only one thing todo goto sleep and dream the spurs sum how wins this game. woke up a few hours layter didnt felt condifence to turn the comp on to check the scores to my suprise we won the game....

HULKAROCK
06-10-2005, 09:49 AM
What it is about the Spurs and their fans that make them think this is going to be a cake walk is beyond me.. Arrogance, I guess.. All I've been hearing is "Sweep", "Who's going to be the Spurs MVP?", "3 rings".. It's that mentality that will lead to the demise of your team. Gm 1, Spurs win. You should win gm 1. Pistons played Piston basketball the first half and played terrible the second. I didin't see a stellar Spurs team out on that court. I'm dissapointed that we didn't pull together a better second half, because the Stones have met some great teams and we should have stole one last night. Spurs will need to bring more than that if they expect to win again.
BTW- I loved the Chauncy fake.. Now that was hilarious.. :lol

pjjrfan
06-10-2005, 09:49 AM
I knew they would struggle, 8 days is a long time between games, but I felt if they could keep from going down by 20 or more, they could catch up. At that point, 17-4, I thought damn, they're not going to make it, it's going to be a struggle, but they came back to outscore them 13-3, the rest of the way, I thought Horry, Parker and Duncan were key in stepping up their defensive intensity and getting some stops.

nkdlunch
06-10-2005, 09:53 AM
What it is about the Spurs and their fans that make them think this is going to be a cake walk is beyond me.. Arrogance, I guess.. All I've been hearing is "Sweep", "Who's going to be the Spurs MVP?", "3 rings".. It's that mentality that will lead to the demise of your team. Gm 1, Spurs win. You should win gm 1. Pistons played Piston basketball the first half and played terrible the second. I didin't see a stellar Spurs team out on that court. I'm dissapointed that we didn't pull together a better second half, because the Stones have met some great teams and we should have stole one last night. Spurs will need to bring more than that if they expect to win again.

only a few fools around here have been talking sweep. Most of us know this is the toughest series and 1st half of game 1 proved it. game 1 was for the pistons to steal, but u failed. What did u see in game 1 that gives u hope in this series? seriously

LoveMySpurs
06-10-2005, 09:57 AM
Started off ugly, but wasn't overly surprised. After 7 days off it was to be expected. I was just glad it was the first quarter not the fourth quarter, but still to be down 17-4 is a nerve wracking way to begin the Finals!!

Clandestino
06-10-2005, 10:26 AM
we start the game 13 down and then win by 15? yes sir, spurs in 5!

duncan_21
06-10-2005, 10:32 AM

That's only a few idiots here. Although I think denver was the toughest team we faced in the playoffs. I think the spurs will win in 5, 6 if they blow a game which I'm counting on.

No way is this the hardest series in the playoffs. Believe me the spurs can play alot better. The reason det didn't play well in the 2nd was because of the lack of depth and short rest issue. ust my opinion and everyone's got one, I'll dredge up this thread or another if I'm wrong and eat crow. I want to say more but that is for another thread.

boutons
06-10-2005, 10:36 AM
I'll enjoy the first quarter more today when they replay the game on NBATV. :)

It was NO FUN last night. I was wondering if the Spurs would get double figures by the end of the 1st. They had about 4 pts after 6 minutes.

spurster
06-10-2005, 10:40 AM
I thought the Spurs were playing like crap and likely use up too much energy coming back to win the game at the end.

DDS4
06-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Not worried really....why?

1) Way too early in the game
2) Detroit's offense isn't explosive enough to put us away
3) Our defense would get us back into the game
4) Manu was playing horribly the first quarter, not gonna happen all game.

ChumpDumper
06-10-2005, 10:52 AM
I was thinking the pick and roll had been taken out of the playbook.

tlongII
I was thinking "I can't wait to rip those guys a new one on SpursTalk.com tomorrow!"

duncan_21
If it was phoenix I would be a little worried but 13 points early in the 1st quarter isn't a big deal with the offensive team the spurs have.

HULKAROCK
06-10-2005, 11:49 AM
only a few fools around here have been talking sweep. Most of us know this is the toughest series and 1st half of game 1 proved it. game 1 was for the pistons to steal, but u failed. What did u see in game 1 that gives u hope in this series? seriously

This is the talk that I'm speaking about. It will be a war. You're indicating that the Spurs have it wrapped up and put under trhe tree already. What gives me hope? The Pistons are the Champs... They didn't get there by folding after a loss on the road. What gives you confidence in your victory? Spurs looked horrible the first half and vice/versa.. I know you want your team to win but be realistic. You talk nonsense. If I watched last night's gm and said "who we are outmatched" I would admit it. I didn't see that. Speak with facts, not emotion.

samikeyp
06-10-2005, 11:50 AM
I know you want your team to win but be realistic.

I think the Spurs winning is realistic. :)

nkdlunch
06-10-2005, 11:53 AM
This is the talk that I'm speaking about. It will be a war. You're indicating that the Spurs have it wrapped up and put under trhe tree already. What gives me hope? The Pistons are the Champs... They didn't get there by folding after a loss on the road. What gives you confidence in your victory? Spurs looked horrible the first half and vice/versa.. I know you want your team to win but be realistic. You talk nonsense. If I watched last night's gm and said "who we are outmatched" I would admit it. I didn't see that. Speak with facts, not emotion.

I asked u a fair question but u avoided it. Am I convinced we gonna win? u bet. :)

Spurs in 6!

duncan_21
06-10-2005, 11:56 AM

What gives me confidence:

1. The pistons beat weak, short handed ind/mia team in prolonged series.
2. That defending champion thing doesn't work with me. Half of the lakers were hurt
3. The spurs were rusty the first half and still blew out det
4. det was really working and gettin nothing in their offense
5. the spurs have home court advantage
6. the spurs have a better front court match up
7. the spurs have the 2 best players in the finals
8. the spurs can limit your best player to < 40% fg
9. our best player scored 20+ pts with the supposed best defender guarding him
10 the det offense is mediocre at best, unless you play against the weak east

Dre_7
06-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Dude you cant lump all Spurs fans in w/ a few idiots. If thats the case, then... "Whats with all them Piston fans that throw cups and run all over the court?!?!??!?!!" :lol

Dre_7
06-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Oh and BTW, I was thinkin, crap, I knew they were gonna be rusty. They will make a run and win this game. It will be close, but they will win it. Well they did win, but it was not as close as I thought. I honestly didnt think anyone would score 80! :lol

Extra Stout
06-10-2005, 12:32 PM
I was thinking, "this was about what I expected at the start of Game 1."

I was surprised the Spurs climbed back in it so quickly. I figured they would have to scrap all second half to get close again.

TwoHandJam
06-10-2005, 01:14 PM
I was thinking "fuck, this isn't good". I wasn't worried about our lack of offense so much as our lack of defense. I knew once we started playing defense the offense would flow but I was genuinely concerned that we would dig ourselves too deep a hole to get out of against a defensive club like the Pistons. Being down 13 points against the Pistons is like being down 25 points against most other clubs.

baseline bum
06-10-2005, 02:00 PM
I just said they had to find a way to get through that first quarter without blowing the game, although I was worried that it was starting to look like last year's game 1.

MiNuS
06-10-2005, 02:08 PM
I was thinking the Spurs were TOO RUSTY. Where is Manu?Where is Tony?
Is the ball too slippery?Where's the defense?
As far as the Pistons,I was thinking: damn they got an awsome defense.Damn they don't miss shots.Damn,damn,damn!

I was thinking W40!

mavsfan1000
06-10-2005, 02:46 PM
When will fatigue set in for Detroit? You can't win a championship without a bench. Arrojo and Hunter were playing horrible and Mcdyess is inconsistent.

Boykins
06-10-2005, 03:08 PM
i was nervouse at first... when i was seeing popavich playing the players that haven't played all season...i didn't know what he was doing...they came through though....when they started coming up i felt reasurred....theyy kept comiing go spurs go

desflood
06-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Yesterday I bet my parents (who live in Michigan, by the way) that the Spurs would win in six, or they could have my daughter. So, I was thinking, "Man, I'll have to send an extra large package of diapers with her!" :lol

bigbendbruisebrother
06-10-2005, 03:24 PM
I was freakin scared. And when I saw Pop putting in Dbrown and big dogg, I was like, WTF?? But I knew somehow Spurs were gona pull it off. All I know is a mere 10 point lead is a huuuge lead in this series.

My immediate reaction was remembering what someone on the forum had said last week about rust, and how he thought we'd come out and struggle initially. I also fell back on the old standby of cursing at Tony Parker for not being more agressive (he only tried one floater in the first quarter!). Mostly, I was horrified as if I had somehow misjudged my team all season. Then, like they always do, this team collected themselves and fed the thing that always works--defense--until they'd clawed themselves back into it.

I knew when Horry and Big Dog stripped hunter for the break and dunk that we would win. One big burst from the crowd is all the food Manu Ginobili needs.

mavsfan1000
06-10-2005, 03:27 PM
Hunter freaking sucks. He shouldn't be playing at all in my opinion.

Budkin
06-10-2005, 03:32 PM
I was really upset at the way the game started. I couldn't believe that the Spurs would come out that flat in Game 1 of the Finals at home. Not only did they look rusty, but they looked completely intimidated by the Pistons D. But then I became greatful that we were playing the Pistons, who often go on worse offensive droughts than we do. I knew that if we just started matching their defensive intensity, we could claw our way back in, and we did. Once Timmy and then Manu got going, I felt pretty good that we would win.