PDA

View Full Version : What if Mavs Played Spurs?

mavsfan1000
06-05-2011, 01:24 AM
I can't help but think the Spurs guards really expose the Mavs. We got Chandler but everything else is close to the same. What do you think would have happened?

Ditty
06-05-2011, 01:40 AM
Both teams matched up well, and how that last regular season game went it looked like Manu, and Parker were attacking the basket easily, and getting alot of layups. Spurs have done a good job against Terry lately since Hill has arrived oddly(Hill would have to have a great series again for the spurs to win).

If Caron Butler was healthy, it would of been a toss up.

If not Spurs would of won with a healthy Ginobili.

Dyess did an decent job on Dirk, and the same for Chandler on Duncan.

Crazymaddopeyo
06-05-2011, 01:41 AM
This is not a put down or anything, because the Mavs are a really good team but I just think the Spurs might have been able to take them. Maybe not. Does this season seem like it was more about match ups than anything else to anybody else?

MR.SILVER&BLack
06-05-2011, 01:45 AM
3's dropping from everywhere. TP would take advantage of kidd and dirk would take advantage of mcdyess/bonner. not to sound like a homer but i think spurs in 7. its the same mavs team plus chandler vs a much better spurs team than the year before.

baseline bum
06-05-2011, 01:59 AM
I don't think the Spurs would have had much of a chance. The team fell apart in March and never looked good again.

TE
06-05-2011, 02:13 AM
I don't think the Spurs would have had much of a chance. The team fell apart in March and never looked good again.

This.

jjktkk
06-05-2011, 02:14 AM
The Spurs matchup with the Mavs pretty well. Both teams know each other so well, it would be a tossup, with the Maves having the edge, due to their improved defense.

xellos88330
06-05-2011, 02:24 AM

100% correct IMO.

justinandimcool
06-05-2011, 02:45 AM
This team can't get stops on demand. With the way the Mavs have been playing, Dallas would make all the clutch shots in the 4th.

Tony/Manu/Neal keep us in the running. Dyess and Tim can contain Dirk but he still gets 25 easily.

Defensively, lolz, the Spurs let the Mavs get all the 3's they want, and see how that turned out for the Lakers.

The Mavs haven't closed out well on the 3 either, so there will be heavy reliance on that.

At the end of the day this Spurs team is just plain awful defensively. Manu and Tony would get theirs, but Barea and Terry would play well also. Tim has a small advantage over Chandler but we can't ride that every game. Bonner will have one good game and 3 choker games. Their shooters show up because they're not him. Mavs in 6.

quentin_compson
06-05-2011, 03:04 AM
3's dropping from everywhere. TP would take advantage of kidd and dirk would take advantage of mcdyess/bonner. not to sound like a homer but i think spurs in 7. its the same mavs team plus chandler vs a much better spurs team than the year before.

Not the 2011 playoffs TP.

Xevious
06-05-2011, 03:19 AM

Yeah. Pop fucking with the starting lineup and a few timely injuries completely derailed this team heading into the playoffs. Their rhythm was shot. I don't think it really mattered who they played. The spurs were primed for an upset.

DesignatedT
06-05-2011, 03:50 AM
I think Dallas would have ultimately won the series tbh.

jimo2305
06-05-2011, 04:16 AM
you mean if our squad outside of manu, tim, antonio and gary actually gave a shit about the game right? unlike the grizzlies game?

Giuseppe
06-05-2011, 04:42 AM
At least 8 wouldn't a happened.

100%duncan
06-05-2011, 05:50 AM
TBH, the way the mavs are playing they would beat the Spurs in a 7 game series

TDMVPDPOY
06-05-2011, 06:00 AM
if spurs played the mavs, it be a 4 game sweep mavs win

Venti Quattro
06-05-2011, 07:03 AM
dallas will ass-rape san antonio

Jace
06-05-2011, 08:11 AM
They would win in 5, it would be a sweep but the Spurs do have heart

Venti Quattro
06-05-2011, 08:43 AM

And class.

George Gervin's Afro
06-05-2011, 08:51 AM
mavs in 5. thier role players have stepped up all postseason long while the spurs role players wilted.

Pistons < Spurs
06-05-2011, 09:25 AM
I don't think it would have been all that competitive. Spurs would have shown flashes, but ultimately would have gone down in 4 or 5 games.

Tiago Splitter
06-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Spurs would've got swept. Duncan is barely a shell of himself and Parker looked like shit.

Tiago Splitter
06-05-2011, 09:48 AM

Where was this heart during the second round series with the Suns?

Axe Murderer
06-05-2011, 10:32 AM
i think it would be a very close series with the Mavs ultimately taking it with the way Dirk has played these playoffs.

The Spurs know the Mavs as well as anybody and I think they would've been Dallas' toughest challenge imho

Axe Murderer
06-05-2011, 10:37 AM

Assuming both teams would've had the same seeds they had in these playoffs, I don't think their late season meltdown would matter.

Both teams would've faced off in the WCF so they would've both had momentum going into the series

Leetonidas
06-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Doesn't matter how they looked in the season, if these teams played each other in the playoffs both teams are going balls to the wall. I think given all the same circumstances the Spurs would lose due to Ginobili not being 100%. We're not going anywhere if that dude isn't completely healthy. Now, if both teams were completely healthy on top of their games, like they were early in the season...it's a wash imo.

rascal
06-05-2011, 10:44 AM
The spurs would not have beaten Dallas, Lakers or OKC and we know what happend with memphis.

rascal
06-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Doesn't matter how they looked in the season, if these teams played each other in the playoffs both teams are going balls to the wall. I think given all the same circumstances the Spurs would lose due to Ginobili not being 100%. We're not going anywhere if that dude isn't completely healthy. Now, if both teams were completely healthy on top of their games, like they were early in the season...it's a wash imo.

What did you expect manu to average 30 points a game? he wasn't going to play much better than what he did in the playoffs.

rascal
06-05-2011, 10:51 AM
The spurs were a flawed team as constructed and that falls on management not any one player or injury.

jjktkk
06-05-2011, 02:27 PM
And class.

And ass hurt Laker fans

TAMUK Drop-out
06-05-2011, 02:37 PM
And ass hurt Laker fans

OMG what a sick burn :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Blake's couch
06-05-2011, 02:40 PM
And ass hurt Laker fans

Hey bud.

Uh oh, why the long face? Accidentally got another 12 pack of Pepsi? Getting kicked out of the house again?

It's alright, I've got plenty of room for both you and master tonight :toast

jjktkk
06-05-2011, 02:47 PM
OMG I pray that my fellow Mavkrew buds can have a victorious circlejerk if the Mavs can finally win a championship.

TD 21
06-05-2011, 06:18 PM
It would have been 50/50. I still feel like the Spurs are the better team, but they wouldn't have met until the Conference Finals. By that point, the Mavs confidence was at an all-time high. After years of playoff failures, it's difficult to see them being denied one round shy of the Finals. However, I feel like both teams could return largely the same rosters next season and the Spurs would probably win.

People say "the Spurs are a flawed team", which is true. But the problems the Grizzlies caused the Spurs, the Mavs are incapable of causing. It's no different than why the Spurs always used to beat the Suns. Sure, the Suns were flawed, but their flaws were only exposed because the Spurs were perfectly suited to exposing them.

The thing the Spurs struggled with most all season was big, bruising, skilled post players. The Grizzlies just so happened to have two, something no other team has. On sheer mass alone, the Spurs physically couldn't guard them.

The Spurs still should have beaten them. But that's the thing about the playoffs. Generally, you can't go into them playing your worst ball of the season. And you definitely can't have your two best players not at 100%, particularly when you're a non tax paying team.

Ghazi
06-05-2011, 06:30 PM
It would have been 50/50. I still feel like the Spurs are the better team, but they wouldn't have met until the Conference Finals. By that point, the Mavs confidence was at an all-time high. After years of playoff failures, it's difficult to see them being denied one round shy of the Finals. However, I feel like both teams could return largely the same rosters next season and the Spurs would probably win.

People say "the Spurs are a flawed team", which is true. But the problems the Grizzlies caused the Spurs, the Mavs are incapable of causing. It's no different than why the Spurs always used to beat the Suns. Sure, the Suns were flawed, but their flaws were only exposed because the Spurs were perfectly suited to exposing them.

The thing the Spurs struggled with most all season was big, bruising, skilled post players. The Grizzlies just so happened to have two, something no other team has. On sheer mass alone, the Spurs physically couldn't guard them.

The Spurs still should have beaten them. But that's the thing about the playoffs. Generally, you can't go into them playing your worst ball of the season. And you definitely can't have your two best players not at 100%, particularly when you're a non tax paying team.
:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

DeadlyDynasty
06-05-2011, 06:35 PM
You'd think Spur fans would've crashed back down to reality after the First-round beatdown, but apparently not.

TD 21
06-05-2011, 06:52 PM
You'd think Spur fans would've crashed back down to reality after the First-round beatdown, but apparently not.

The Mavs lost to the Spurs in the 1st round last season. They added Chandler and Stojakovic and subtracted Butler and Beaubois from the rotation and they're in the Finals. The '09 Suns didn't make the playoffs. They added Frye in the off season and made the Conference Finals in '10. It's not out of the question that the Spurs could make one move, for a non star and go on a deep playoff run next season. The playoffs are largely about match-ups and peaking at the right time.

Kool Bob Love
06-05-2011, 06:53 PM
:downspin:

Leetonidas
06-05-2011, 11:17 PM
What did you expect manu to average 30 points a game? he wasn't going to play much better than what he did in the playoffs.

He more or less had his way with one of the better defenders in the league with one arm. His jumper was off from the perimeter but he still put up more than his season averages. It's only logical to expect better play from him if he his healthy.

Horse
06-06-2011, 12:25 PM
This is not a put down or anything, because the Mavs are a really good team but I just think the Spurs might have been able to take them. Maybe not. Does this season seem like it was more about match ups than anything else to anybody else?
No doubt! I believe we would've beaten okc and dallas, and although memphis lost to okc, they were an even worse matchup for dallas than they were for us.

Horse
06-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Like you did any better, beating a beatup and injured hornets team who gave you all you could handle and then being swept by the choke-city mavs.

Nick Manning
06-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Like you did any better, beating a beatup and injured hornets team who gave you all you could handle and then being swept by the choke-city mavs.

The difference is Laker fans don't have delusions of grandeur about the situation. They're not playing the "what-if" game like some (not all) spurfans are doing. Your team was fool's gold all year and you still haven't accepted that fact, despite getting your shit pushed in by an 8th seed.

MR.SILVER&BLack
06-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Not the 2011 playoffs TP.

kidd is slower than conley. speed is the only advantage parker has over most PG in the nba. kidd wouldnt be able to keep up with tp the whole game. barea is another story.

MR.SILVER&BLack
06-06-2011, 07:52 PM
lol the playoffs are about matchups. just because we got our ass handed to us by memphis it doesnt mean dallas would have done the same. dallas doesnt have 2 big bodys banging in the post. it would be an amazing 7 game series tho.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
06-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Dallas would have won

dbestpro
06-07-2011, 03:20 PM
With bonner and RJ getting regular minutes, Pop going small and no Tiago as usual it would be Mavs in 4-5 games.

baseline bum
06-07-2011, 03:34 PM
I think the only teams the Spurs would have beaten were New Orleans (for sure) and probably Denver.

DAF86
06-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Last season basically this same Spurs team (minus Neal and Splitter) beat basically this same Mavs team (minus Chandler and plus Butler). Why are people saying that the Spurs would lose easily? Memphis presented a matchup problem that the Mavs do not. I say it's a 50/50 series.

rascal
06-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Last season basically this same Spurs team (minus Neal and Splitter) beat basically this same Mavs team (minus Chandler and plus Butler). Why are people saying that the Spurs would lose easily? Memphis presented a matchup problem that the Mavs do not. I say it's a 50/50 series.

Many still not accepting the Spurs were just not very good when matched up with the top teams in the league. The spurs fattened up on the weak teams in the league and caught many schedule breaks early in the season with playing teams missing players. In the 2nd half that began to turn when the spurs had to deal with the injury to Duncan and teams starting to play better gearing up for the playoffs.

One look at the roster and you should have known this spurs team was not a championship contender. They brought back the same core team that got swept by Phoenix.

DeadlyDynasty
06-07-2011, 05:40 PM
I think the only teams the Spurs would have beaten were New Orleans (for sure) and probably Denver.

DAF86
06-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Many still not accepting the Spurs were just not very good when matched up with the top teams in the league. The spurs fattened up on the weak teams in the league and caught many schedule breaks early in the season with playing teams missing players. In the 2nd half that began to turn when the spurs had to deal with the injury to Duncan and teams starting to play better gearing up for the playoffs.

One look at the roster and you should have known this spurs team was not a championship contender. They brought back the same core team that got swept by Phoenix.

They also brought the same core that beat Dallas without HCA last season. The Spurs may haven't been as good as their record, but I'm sure they could have presented a fight against Dallas and even beat them.

Ghazi
06-07-2011, 07:21 PM
:lol DAF 86
:lol "same Mavs team"
:lol Manu > Dirk
:lol DAF

Ghazi
06-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Duncan wasn't a tired old shitbag last year