PDA

View Full Version : God Bless Dirk Son

Amarelooms
06-05-2011, 10:57 PM
What a great player and person. Just listening to him at press conference....good dude no doubt.

Sucks that he's going against 3 other star players with basically no help....Mavs are Dirk and a bunch of scrubs

:elephant

TinTin
06-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Jason Terry is not a star player

ElNono
06-05-2011, 11:00 PM
I thought the 'no-help' line was dropped after round 2?

Ghazi
06-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Dirk's teammates are not scrubs.

You quit on this team in January so be quiet

However, Dirk was great tonight... just came up a few plays short.

InRareForm
06-05-2011, 11:01 PM
regression to the mean mavs (not named dirk) fg%

Giuseppe
06-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Dirk's teammates are not scrubs.

You quit on this team in January so be quiet

However, Dirk was great tonight... just came up a few plays short.

I'd shush ya, but, I imagine you ain't in the mood.

tee, hee.

pass1st
06-05-2011, 11:03 PM
He's had help, but his help isn't always there.

TD 21
06-05-2011, 11:07 PM
I thought the 'no-help' line was dropped after round 2?

No, it reappears every time they lose. It doesn't matter whether a bunch of them play well or not, if they lose, it's all their fault. If they win, it's all him. Number two option on a contending team or not, they've got a $90 million dollar payroll and he's got plenty of solid, useful pieces surrounding him.

Rightly or wrongly, standard procedure in these situations is to blame the star. No one cared when James put up monster numbers the past two playoffs. Why? Because he lost. So it was all his fault. Just like it was McGrady's in the early-mid aughts, even though he was putting up some of the greatest playoff numbers of all time. If it was their fault then, it's his fault now.

Ghazi
06-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Sorry TD 21 (:lol Spurs)... tonight was not Dirk's fault at all.

endrity
06-05-2011, 11:16 PM
No, it reappears every time they lose. It doesn't matter whether a bunch of them play well or not, if they lose, it's all their fault. If they win, it's all him. Number two option on a contending team or not, they've got a $90 million dollar payroll and he's got plenty of solid, useful pieces surrounding him.

Rightly or wrongly, standard procedure in these situations is to blame the star. No one cared when James put up monster numbers the past two playoffs. Why? Because he lost. So it was all his fault. Just like it was McGrady's in the early-mid aughts, even though he was putting up some of the greatest playoff numbers of all time. If it was their fault then, it's his fault now.

honestly, you are one of the best trolls around

TD 21
06-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Sorry TD 21 (:lol Spurs)... tonight was not Dirk's fault at all.

You're not comprehending what I'm saying. I'm saying, if James, McGrady and myriad others were held to a standard of win or it's your fault (no matter how well you play), then so too should Nowitzki.

frodo
06-05-2011, 11:17 PM
terrible strategy imho it's all RC's fault. dat phillibeaner clearly be the smarter coach tonight tbqh

Ghazi
06-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Dirk's supporting cast shot 29% tonight.. :(

Dirk was +12 in 42 minutes.

Ghazi
06-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Dirk's supporting cast shot 29% tonight.. :(

Dirk was +12 in 42 minutes.

TD 21
06-05-2011, 11:23 PM
You're so sensitive and defensive (typical Mavs fan), that you're too blind to comprehend the simple point I'm making. I'm not saying he legitimately deserves blame. What I'm saying is, if this were James, McGrady, etc., in the same position, they'd be getting blamed. We know this because they were once in this same position and guess what? They got blamed. So why should Nowitzki get a pass?

Nathan89
06-05-2011, 11:29 PM

Due to injury 17mil didn't even touch the court tonight and 10mil hasn't all playoffs. So stop mentioning 90mil like that means anything.

To me James did better than probably anyone else could with the talent he had. McGrady shouldn't even be in the conversation if your great you should be able to get out of the first round.

Nathan89
06-05-2011, 11:35 PM
honestly, you are one of the best trolls around

It's because he almost seems serious.

TD 21
06-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Due to injury 17mil didn't even touch the court tonight and 10mil hasn't all playoffs. So stop mentioning 90mil like that means anything.

To me James did better than probably anyone else could with the talent he had. McGrady shouldn't even be in the conversation if your great you should be able to get out of the first round.

Why are you still pretending to be a Spurs fan?

It means a lot. It doesn't insure success, but it sure helps. Even talking Butler out, $80 million. A good $10 million over the tax.

You're evading the question. They were also considered elite players (James obviously still is), without a second star and they put up monster numbers. The difference is, when their teams lost, they got all the blame. Just like Robinson and many others through the years. When Nowitzki loses, it's "poor Dirk".

endrity
06-05-2011, 11:40 PM
It's because he almost seems serious.

This. The SpursDynasty-type trolls are becoming old here. People are so used to them that they barely respond anymore. Now it's all about the logical troll.

TD 21
06-05-2011, 11:48 PM
This. The SpursDynasty-type trolls are becoming old here. People are so used to them that they barely respond anymore. Now it's all about the logical troll.

How am I a troll? That's code for you Mavs fans conceding, because you know I'm right. You guys are ultra defensive and sensitive.

I've said plenty of complimentary things about Nowitzki (fifth best PF ever, should have started over Anthony in the All-Star game, had a case for 1st team all NBA) and it all get's ignored, because I don't overrate his one dimensional game, by saying ridiculous things like "he's the second best player in the league".

Ginobili2Duncan
06-06-2011, 12:05 AM

The reason why Nowitzki is looked at more as a "tragic hero" rather than a "choker" is because he is a high character and straight laced guy. Him being white doesn't hurt either tbh. After all, that's the demographic that is buying the majority of the suites and the front-row seats.

I remember when Webber and Robinson used to get scrutinized for their late game failures. Yet, Nowitzki gets sympathy.

Dex
06-06-2011, 12:06 AM
lol 90 million dollars

DMC
06-06-2011, 12:07 AM
If you cannot tell the trolls from the posters here, you are fucking retarded.

Kai
06-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Dirk should sign with the Heat.

TD 21
06-06-2011, 12:16 AM
The reason why Nowitzki is looked at more as a "tragic hero" rather than a "choker" is because he is a high character and straight laced guy. Him being white doesn't hurt either tbh. After all, that's the demographic that is buying the majority of the suites and the front-row seats.

I remember when Webber and Robinson used to get scrutinized for their late game failures. Yet, Nowitzki gets sympathy.

Who's higher character than Robinson? But when he was a lead player and his team lost, he was supposedly "soft" and "didn't really love the game". No one cared that he was putting up historical all around numbers or that he didn't have a second star.

It's not about whether Nowitzki genuinely deserves criticism or not. It's about how the standard has always been and how it doesn't apply to him, or Nash, for that matter. When they lose, they're portrayed differently than others.

DMC
06-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Who's higher character than Robinson? But when he was a lead player and his team lost, he was supposedly "soft" and "didn't really love the game". No one cared that he was putting up dominant all around numbers or that he didn't have a second star.

It's not about whether Nowitzki genuinely deserves criticism or not. It's about how the standard has always been and how it doesn't apply to him, or Nash, for that matter. They're portrayed differently than others.

You have to accept that it comes later, not while the Finals are in progress. It's all "good game, he's a beast" right now. Later it will be a character assassination by his own fans.

jjktkk
06-06-2011, 12:22 AM
A great question would be if the Mavs lose this series, is it on Dirk, or Cuban, for not surrounding Dirk with better teammmates?

Ginobili2Duncan
06-06-2011, 12:27 AM
A great question would be if the Mavs lose this series, is it on Dirk, or Cuban, for not surrounding Dirk with better teammmates?

The Mavs organization gloated about their depth all postseason long. So Nowitzki's lack of a supporting cast shouldn't used as an excuse.

DMC
06-06-2011, 12:32 AM

Neither. It's on the Heat for stacking the deck. The Mavs swept the defending champs and went through the rest of the West like butter. Can't do much better than that. They just ran into a "buzzsaw". That's how it will be played out.

TD 21
06-06-2011, 12:34 AM
You have to accept that it comes later, not while the Finals are in progress. It's all "good game, he's a beast" right now. Later it will be a character assassination by his own fans.

Can't see it. Nowitzki is equal to Bryant when it comes to fan base protection. And from a fans perspective, I understand why they would in this case. But he won't get any criticism from the national media and that's wrong, based on how the standards have always been. Instead, he'll be portrayed as a hero.

As any rational person can see, this is not a criticism of Nowitzki. It's a criticism of how there's different standards for different people.

G2D, good point. People can't have it both ways. Either they're the so called "deepest team in the league" or they're not. But it shouldn't change based on the result just to fit a predetermined storyline.

jjktkk
06-06-2011, 12:39 AM
Neither. It's on the Heat for stacking the deck. The Mavs swept the defending champs and went through the rest of the West like butter. Can't do much better than that. They just ran into a "buzzsaw". That's how it will be played out.

Your statement is true, but if the Mavs do not win this series and Dirk never gets a ring, what will be the perception of Dirk?

DazedAndConfused
06-06-2011, 12:45 AM
I honestly think there were two Miami Heat runs that cost the Mavericks the game. The one that was midway through the 2nd quarter and the other one to start the 3rd quarter. When you're essentially battling back and trying to cut down the lead the entire game it just wears on your mentally.

Dallas needs to show me that they can take control of a game from start to finish against the Heat in order for me to believe they can actually win this series.

Cry Havoc
06-06-2011, 12:51 AM

Their second best scorer has been hurt most of the year with an injury. Dirk literally dragged this team to the Finals almost by himself. Dallas sans Dirk right now... would they even be a playoff team? He's beasting, doing all he can. The Mavs just don't have the weapons. Kidd, Terry, and Marion is NOT a great set of teammates to make a title run. The fact that they're so competitive is a testament to Dirk, not a detraction.

jjktkk
06-06-2011, 01:17 AM
Their second best scorer has been hurt most of the year with an injury. Dirk literally dragged this team to the Finals almost by himself. Dallas sans Dirk right now... would they even be a playoff team? He's beasting, doing all he can. The Mavs just don't have the weapons. Kidd, Terry, and Marion is NOT a great set of teammates to make a title run. The fact that they're so competitive is a testament to Dirk, not a detraction.

Agree. But my point, is if Dirk does not win this series, or never wins a ring, the perception by some would be, Dirk was a great shooter, scorer, etc., but he wasn't good enough to carry his team to a championship. That would be a unfair perception imo, but there would be people out there who would think that Dirk wasn't a great player, just a great scorer.

Amaso
06-06-2011, 02:00 AM

I wouldn't necessarily say he carried them by himself, the only good team out of the West was the Lakers, and he had peja/barea and the rest of the crew play great throughout the entire series. Had his supporting cast not played amazing all 4 games that series then we wouldn't even be talking about the Mavs in the finals.