PDA

View Full Version : 18-wheeler carrying explosive charges overturns; I-35 shut down

Clandestino
06-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Web Posted: 06/10/2005 11:04 AM CDT

MySanAntonio.com, KENS 5 Eyewitness News, San Antonio Express-News

An 18-wheeler carrying explosive charges has rolled over this morning on Interstate 35 in the Windcrest area of Northeast San Antonio.

The truck driver was northbound on Interstate 35 and taking the exit to Loop 410 West when the accident occurred on the hairpin turn.

I-35 is shut down in both directions near the Loop 410 exit.

Authorities have evacuated businesses and residences within a half-mile of the accident scene, which is northbound I-35 at the Loop 410 exit.

The incident occurred at 7:15 this morning, and evacuations began at around 8.

Fire Department spokesman Randy Jenkins said the truck was carrying 3,200 pounds of shaped charge material used to initiate explosives. A second container on the truck was carrying nuts and bolts.

Authorities initially believed the truck may have been carrying ammonium nitrate but have since determined it was not.

Officials called the evacuations, which are expected to affect about 2,000 people at residences and businesses, a precautionary measure and do not think the material is unstable or in any danger of exploding.

"We don't feel that citizens need to worry about an explosion, but we did evacuate the area," Jenkins said.The city's bomb squad was preparing to inspect the cargo. Officials believe it will take several hours to upright the rig and clear the area.

"It's probably going to take quite a lot of time," Jenkins said.

Jenkins asked that area residents be patient and stay away from the area.

Meanwhile, authorities were relocating 167 residents of the nursing home Trisun Care Center by VIA bus to Windcrest Elementary.

Authorities later added that about 2,000 people have been evacuated from the area.

Officials said the 18-wheeler was traveling northbound on I-35 and preparing to take Loop 410 West exit when the driver lost control and overturned on a sharp turn. The truck's driver was not injured, and officials were interviewing him. The passenger was taken to Northeast Baptist Hospital.

Eyewitness Tom Reed told KENS 5 that the driver wasn’t moving too fast but that the truck's load must have shifted.

Reed went to help along with a few other drivers at the scene.

"The driver seemed to be OK, although livid about turning the truck," he said, adding that the passenger in the truck was in the sleeper cab and was having trouble breathiong after the accident.

The Police Department bomb squad and a Fire Department hazardous materials team are on the scene. An elderly care center near the scene is being evacuated to nearby schools.

Bob Howard with Red Cross said shelters are being set up at MacArthur High School and Krueger Middle School. Summer school students within the evacuation area are being taken to those schools.

The Texas Department of Transportation says all northbound lanes of I-35 are closed at Walzem, and traffic is exiting at Binz Engleman.

All southbound lanes of I-35 are closed at Weidner, and traffic is exiting at Randolph.

Eastbound Loop 410 is closed at Perrin Beitel, where traffic is exiting.

Average daily traffic through 410 and I-35 is about 226,500 cars, according to Dale Picha, District Traffic Engineer at Transguide.

The accident took place adjacent to San Antonio's immigration office on Four Winds Drive. As a result, like many other nearby buildings, employees were evacuated and the office, which serves hundreds of immigrants everyday seeking benefits and services, was closed. Scheduled appointments will have to be rescheduled.

The accident is near the VIA Park and Ride at Randolph and I-35. VIA officials closed the facility at 7:30 this morning until further notice.

VIA Metropolitan Transit set up a temporary transfer center at Roosevelt High School for the 11 bus lines that run through the Randolph Boulevard Park & Ride, said agency spokesman Andy Scheidt.

Bus riders who parked cars at the park & ride prior to an evacuation will have to wait until officials reopen the area.

A Union Pacific line that was closed near the accident is not affecting operations because trains are being rerouted to another track about two miles away, said company spokesman John Bromley.

The accident occurred on a section of freeway that is part of the city's hazardous cargo route.

sa_butta
06-10-2005, 11:15 AM
been watching that all morning at work looks pretty bad on the highway, thank god I dont have to go through there to get to work. They said it will be closed for like 16 hours for clean up.

SpursWoman
06-10-2005, 11:16 AM
been watching that all morning at work looks pretty bad on the highway, thank god I dont have to go through there to get to work. They said it will be closed for like 16 hours for clean up.

I'm glad no one was critically injured.....but 410 in that area is my quickest way home from work, and after last night I was going to go home and take a power nap for lunch....

:( :sleep

CrazyOne
06-10-2005, 12:21 PM
It took me about an hour to get to work.. I had to take Wurzbach Parkway all the way to Nacogdoches to get to 410. Perrin Beitel was a slow-motion parking lot.