PDA

View Full Version : Parker backs off comments that Spurs are finished

ducks
06-07-2011, 02:27 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AjD0ApgradMFoNeDrAbBOmK8vLYF?slug=ap-spurs-parker

dbreiden83080
06-07-2011, 02:28 PM
We're finished with him at point.. He can get traded anytime for all i care..

mariners
06-07-2011, 02:32 PM
parker will be a superstar with the lakers, derek fisher will be a decent role player with the spurs

TimmehC
06-07-2011, 02:35 PM
I don't think he "backed off" of anything, just said the French media blew his comments out of proportion. And he shouldn't back off, tbh. Not like he said anything that isn't true.

lefty
06-07-2011, 02:41 PM
We all know why he changed his stance:

Pop: " Get on AIM, dawg ! "

spursfan09
06-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Well I feel better now. Now Tony Parker believes, so Spurs will be right back at it again next year competing for that championship!

O wait you don't feel the same way now that even Tony Parker has "Backed off" his comments?

That's probably because deep down you knew he was right, and the Spurs' chances of winning anything next year is very low.

Next time hopefully Tony Parker doesn't speak his mind or truth and says what we as fans want to hear instead of the truth. We'll be much happier. No more "Tony Parker doesn't believe!!! He can't lead our team!!! He hurt my feelings!!!! :cry:cry:cry"

Spurs Brazil
06-07-2011, 03:21 PM
TP still thinks Spurs can win NBA title with current cast
Posted on June 7, 2011 at 12:16 pm by Tim Griffin

Spurs point guard Tony Parker says he remained committed to the team and denied making controversial comments about the team’s future.

While appearing at the Spurs’ annual summer basketball clinic at Incarnate Word University Tuesday morning, Parker said he thinks the Spurs still can contend for a title as long as he, Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan are involved.

“First of all, I didn’t say that,” Parker said about his pessimistic earlier comments where he said the team, as constituted, can’t contend for an NBA championship. ”But you know that newspapers need stories and need to talk about stuff.

Keep reading: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/06/07/tp-still-thinks-spurs-can-win-nba-title-with-current-cast/

Spurs Brazil
06-07-2011, 03:22 PM
TP won’t play in European championships without insurance
Posted on June 7, 2011 at 1:19 pm by Tim Griffin
Without affordable insurance, Parker said he would not play.

“Hopefully, they’ll find something to let us play because obviously if they don’t, it will be hard to take a risk,” Parker said. “If there’s no insurance, obviously the Spurs are my priority.

Keep reading: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/06/07/tp-wont-play-in-european-championships-without-insurance/

cantthinkofanything
06-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Keep reading: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/06/07/tp-wont-play-in-european-championships-without-insurance/

I can't find the part where the Spurs trade him.

Mel_13
06-07-2011, 03:52 PM
:sleep

cantthinkofanything
06-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Ernest Goes to Camp -

Some may remember Jim Varney from his work in the Braum's commercials in the early 80's, playing the loveable klutz, Ernest P. Worrell. However, most know him from his trilogy saga based on the same character.
EDIT - there turned out to be a lot more than three Ernest movies. But the DVD only had Ernest Goes To Camp, Ernest Goes to Jail, and Ernest Scared Stupid.

Last night I took some time to revisit the first of these movies, Ernest Goes To Camp.

I geuss I wouldn't be a good critic. Not very motivated anymore. Thought I had more to write than this. Anyway, it's not a great movie but probably entertaining for 10 and younger. Even adults will find something to laugh at, wheter intended by the director or not.

However, there is one sequence that had me crying with laughter.

It's the one where the "bad" kids with the help of Ernest have to save the camp from an evil mining compay who swindled an American Indian to sign over the campgrounds to them to mine.

Anyway, they build this big ass vehicle with a catapult and other kinds of weapons out of trees and stuff found around the camp. They also steal some explosives from the mining compay. It had to have been partially inspired by the A-Team.

So, they launch their attack on the evil mining workers. First they shoot a barrage of lit arrrows which sets a tent on fire and also hits a box of explosives. However, it doesn't blow up. But the tent fire scatteres the 30 or so workers. Then they shoot some lemons at them which don't do much other than pin them down. Also, the kitchen cooks have built a machine that takes stuff in one end and combines it into some kind of mush that then can be shot out the other side.

But the best minute or two is when they launch a bunch of turtles with parachutes and they start to land on the workers, biting their noses and ears.

You would think this would be enough. A funny end to a harmless batttle.

But then they start launching rockets made from gas lamps. One of the lamps hits a pickup truck and destroys it in a fiery explosion. They they launch a toilet filled with some kind of explosives and it blows up a building. There's some other stuff but at this point, the fight is viturally over. (aside from Lyle Alzedo going nuts on a bulldozer and trying to run over the good guys).

But to watch the escalation from parachuting turtles to wild ass rockets blowing up cars was worth the hour and half run time.

In the end, all is right with the world and they let the camp stay with the Indian and also let Ernest be a camp counsler. Which was what his goal was from the opening movie.

Here's the turtle/rocket scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw_8j3MwfZo

cantthinkofanything
06-07-2011, 04:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw_8j3MwfZo

Wow. They took out the rocket launch part. All of a sudden it goes from the turtles to some burning stuff. I'll see if I can find the full thing.

cantthinkofanything
06-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Wow. They took out the rocket launch part. All of a sudden it goes from the turtles to some burning stuff. I'll see if I can find the full thing.

Don't know why someone took the time to edit that out. Maybe it was too violent. Anyway, here's the full scene.

The first 2 1/2 minutes are the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKLhfWlZd48&feature=related

dallasmaverickslose
06-07-2011, 04:25 PM
http://media.onsugar.com/files/2011/05/18/1/1621/16210977/07/cool_story_bro_2.jpg

ploto
06-07-2011, 05:53 PM
TP won’t play in European championships without insurance

Without affordable insurance, Parker said he would not play.

It is that way every summer for everyone. This is not news.

Bruno
06-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Parker should STFU instead of saying that lame BS.

TDMVPDPOY
06-07-2011, 06:35 PM
he pulled a kobe last season to make sure the players know its his team

so now he comes i believe shit, gtfo

NRHector
06-07-2011, 06:55 PM
He's back in the States so is obvious he was going to change his story but once he goes back to France he'll let his true feelings out

benefactor
06-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Parker: Spurs are done.
Holt: You want to be traded before the CBA even get's in place?
Parker: Spurs are not done.

Knoxxx
06-07-2011, 07:13 PM
I love TP, but he didn't step up in the playoffs he got poned by Conley instead. If we had the finals MVP TP we would still be playing but we didn't get anything very close to that.

ducks
06-07-2011, 07:15 PM
I love TP, but he didn't step up in the playoffs he got poned by Conley instead. If we had the finals MVP TP we would still be playing but we didn't get anything very close to that.

duncan could have done more
three point shooting killed the spurs
duncan can tp did not have lots of room because booner,hill,rj sucked from downtown

NRHector
06-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Manu would never said anything like that he's loyal to his team

ducks
06-07-2011, 07:21 PM

yeah so loyal he gets hurt last game of the regular season breaks his legs

goes overseas plays for his country when he is older and has a hard time playing lots of minutes(even though he gets paid well enough that he should be able to play 35 + a night)

NRHector
06-07-2011, 07:28 PM
yeah so loyal he gets hurt last game of the regular season breaks his legs

goes overseas plays for his country when he is older and has a hard time playing lots of minutes(even though he gets paid well enough that he should be able to play 35 + a night)I never mention which team he was loyal to, it can be his national team or Spurs but still loyal and Manu never lost hope about the Spurs

ducks
06-07-2011, 07:30 PM
it is pop's fault
all he says to the spurs players is without manu you are useless can not win

Spursfan092120
06-07-2011, 07:41 PM

Great f'ing movie :tu

baseline bum
06-07-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm fine with Tony telling the truth; I wish he hadn't backed off his quote like a politician though.

timtonymanu
06-07-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm fine with Tony telling the truth; I wish he hadn't backed off his quote like a politician though.

THIS

And then we see the exact same core brought back next year and more disappointments.

ducks
06-07-2011, 11:59 PM

I wonder if it was him or the spurs front office....

jimo2305
06-08-2011, 12:30 AM
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/3023/coolstoryy.png

TD 21
06-08-2011, 12:36 AM
Who does he think he's fooling? I'm too lazy to go and find the exact quotes, but he said all this on media day I believe. I'm fairly sure he also said it in some random interview during the season. It's not like this is the first time he's said it, to where he can play the "they took it out of context/it got lost in translation" card.

Maybe this is just his way of putting pressure on the front office to make something happen and not stand pat? He's not an idiot. He knows they're trying to avoid the tax and he knows they've got ten guarantees (nine, but Neal will obviously be on the team) and are two deep at every position. So conceivably, they don't have to really change much if they don't want to.

venitian navigator
06-08-2011, 02:15 AM
Who does he think he's fooling? I'm too lazy to go and find the exact quotes, but he said all this on media day I believe. I'm fairly sure he also said it in some random interview during the season. It's not like this is the first time he's said it, to where he can play the "they took it out of context/it got lost in translation" card.

Maybe this is just his way of putting pressure on the front office to make something happen and not stand pat? He's not an idiot. He knows they're trying to avoid the tax and he knows they've got ten guarantees (nine, but Neal will obviously be on the team) and are two deep at every position. So conceivably, they don't have to really change much if they don't want to.

That could be a point...
For sure, his play off performance hasn't been good, but he's probably thinking that part of it is due to poor to none offensive alternatives...and probably, the only way to make people (Pop ?) re-thinking about what to do is to play the aggressive card (...I've no more hope with you and I'm ready to be traded card).
As you said, it's true we are two deep at every position...

Parker-Hill
Manu - Neal
Rj- x (Butler ? Green?)
Blair-Bonner
TD - Splitter

With the only piece missing being, on paper, a good small forward .... (the famous long three?), But true is we're not only missing that...

For havin at least a small hope of contending again nexct year we need at least :

1) a real second option at play making/slashing caming from the pine (a la Claxton...that kind of player could be had via Free agency or at least with our 29 choice)

2) yes, the famous long three (probably only via free agency - for example Prince)

3) more than all a second big that can be paired with Splitter and Tim (Dice is retiring and however he's been decent but never a starting option) and is a defensive force + a decent offensive option

How to get n° 3 ? I really don't know...but probably Parker is thinking that the only way is pushing the F.O. to explore any possible route...

Proxy
06-08-2011, 03:51 AM
duncan can tp did not have lots of room because booner,hill,rj sucked from downtown

You have to be one of the dumbest people on this board

lcroock
06-08-2011, 04:01 AM
TP-Jefferson-Hill
for
Nelson-Hedo-Reddick

tmtcsc
06-08-2011, 09:49 AM
http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww141/jakbanana/backpedaling.gif Too funny. Tony is going with the Jedi mind trick routine.

Tony: "You didn't hear me say the Spurs were finished as a contender."

SA Media: " We didn't hear you say the Spurs were finished as a contender."

Tony: "I don't have to justify my comments to you."

SA Media: "You don't need to justify your comments to us."

Tony: " I love the Spurs."

SA Media: "You love the Spurs."

Tony: "You have no further questions. I can go on my way now."

SA Media: "We have no further questions. You can go on your way now."

:lol

stxspurs
06-08-2011, 10:35 AM
TP-Jefferson-Hill
for
Nelson-Hedo-Reddick
:lmao

Cane
06-08-2011, 10:39 AM
TP-Jefferson-Hill
for
Nelson-Hedo-Reddick

Is that you Otis Smith? :downspin:

tdunk21
06-08-2011, 10:47 AM
tony speaks to media

http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/110608_parker_interview

ALVAREZ6
06-08-2011, 12:07 PM

No, Duncan couldn't have done more as the only true big getting playing time having to carry the load vs. the twin monsters the Grizz have.

No, getting dominating by a bunch of nobodies like Conley and Arthur killed the Spurs.

SenorSpur
06-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Personally, I don't have an issue with what Parker said, because I believe it was the truth. I don't see how or where it could've been taken out of context, but one never knows. Of course, his comments would've carried more weight had he not had such a dismal playoff performance in the Memphis series.

All in all, Parker can see the future and, as the youngest member of the Spurs Big Three and as someone who has had to play without one or both at various times, he obviously knows how hard it would be for him to have to carry the load, as TD and Manu get older.

Despite his new pledge of allegiance to the franchise, I only wonder whether or not Parker's comments now make him an expendable piece in the eyes of Pop and RC? Even though he's the Spurs best trade asset, there are others ahead of him (RJ,. Bonner, Hill) whose usefulness has either expired or who should be sacrificed to upgrade the talent level.

TD 21
06-08-2011, 06:43 PM
That could be a point...
For sure, his play off performance hasn't been good, but he's probably thinking that part of it is due to poor to none offensive alternatives...and probably, the only way to make people (Pop ?) re-thinking about what to do is to play the aggressive card (...I've no more hope with you and I'm ready to be traded card).
As you said, it's true we are two deep at every position...

Parker-Hill
Manu - Neal
Rj- x (Butler ? Green?)
Blair-Bonner
TD - Splitter

With the only piece missing being, on paper, a good small forward .... (the famous long three?), But true is we're not only missing that...

For havin at least a small hope of contending again nexct year we need at least :

1) a real second option at play making/slashing caming from the pine (a la Claxton...that kind of player could be had via Free agency or at least with our 29 choice)

2) yes, the famous long three (probably only via free agency - for example Prince)

3) more than all a second big that can be paired with Splitter and Tim (Dice is retiring and however he's been decent but never a starting option) and is a defensive force + a decent offensive option

How to get n° 3 ? I really don't know...but probably Parker is thinking that the only way is pushing the F.O. to explore any possible route...

Barring a trade, Anderson will be the primary backup three. I expect one of Butler or Green to make the team. If Butler is back to pre-injury form, he'll more than likely get the spot.

1) The Spurs are more than fine in terms of bench scoring. Hill and Neal are one of the two best scoring backup back court in the league (Terry and Barea, being the other).

2) The long, defensive three, is a definite need. But it'll only happen if they're able to rid themselves of Jefferson. If they're unsuccessful, I can't see them blocking Anderson and spending what little money they have on a three.

3) It's going to be extremely difficult to acquire a solid, two-way, starting caliber big, without gutting the team.

SenorSpur
06-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Barring a trade, Anderson will be the primary backup three. I expect one of Butler or Green to make the team. If Butler is back to pre-injury form, he'll more than likely get the spot.

1) The Spurs are more than fine in terms of bench scoring. Hill and Neal are one of the two best scoring backup back court in the league (Terry and Barea, being the other).

2) The long, defensive three, is a definite need. But it'll only happen if they're able to rid themselves of Jefferson. If they're unsuccessful, I can't see them blocking Anderson and spending what little money they have on a three.

3) It's going to be extremely difficult to acquire a solid, two-way, starting caliber big, without gutting the team.

If the Spurs are to somehow rid themselves of RJ, they could conceivably open up the starting SF position. I believe a rotation of Anderson, Green and Butler could be very productive - provided of course, they are able to shore up the frontcourt. And if they can shore up the frontcourt via trade, this may allow them to nab a young, defensive-minded SF in the draft - assuming they still have a 1st round pick, when the dust settles.

DMC
06-08-2011, 07:14 PM
poned?

Mel_13
06-08-2011, 08:25 PM

A brutally depressing summary of where the Spurs stand right now.

ElNono
06-08-2011, 08:43 PM

SenorSpur
06-08-2011, 09:42 PM

Yeah, he should've stuck with his guns.

Ice009
06-08-2011, 09:55 PM

Actually Manu said numerous times during the regular season that we're not good enough to win the Championship with the way we are playing, that we need to improve. It's not the same as what TP said, but it's not like he hasn't said something similar and it's also what a lot of us fans knew with the no defense style of ball we were playing.

What TP said is correct, but it comes off worse because a lot of us are disappointed in his individual play during the playoffs. I think a rookie TP played better than TP did this season in the playoffs. He really did not bring it the way he should have.

Vic Petro
06-09-2011, 01:14 PM
And now Pop's reply.

“You think I care what Tony Parker says?” Popovich told Harris in the snippet from the interview, which is available here. “You think Tony Parker is gonna coach when he quits? Why would I listen to Tony Parker?”

When reminded by Harris that Parker already owns a team in France, Popovich went further.

“He can own but he can’t coach,” Popovich said. “Get your –– out there and play, Tony. Tie the score. But talk about basketball, I don’t need Tony for that.”

http://bit.ly/k0IzaP

TJastal
06-09-2011, 01:42 PM
And now Pop's reply.

http://bit.ly/k0IzaP

lmao

Pop seems to be a tad sensitive to criticism it appears. No wonder the team is so fucked up. Nobody can talk to the guy or even drop hints about things of concern. Pop's carefully cultivated public image of a lovable awesome coach who the players can communicate with and vice versa is starting to crumble big-time.

I'm sure however all the popsuckers will be fist pumping and semi-erect when they read this.

ChumpDumper
06-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Dumb response to a dumb response, considering people will interpret it however they want.

This thread is the perfect illustration.

spursfan09
06-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Maybe Pop wouldn't have to defend himself or the way the team is going if TP's comments were true.

spursfan09
06-09-2011, 02:21 PM
So like when a team loses in the first round to a number 8 seed as the first seed, or chokes hard in the playoffs. Isn't the coach the first one to get blamed, fired etc? Pop gets off too easy.

Ross Parrot
06-09-2011, 02:23 PM
lmao
Pop's carefully cultivated public image of a lovable awesome coach who the players can communicate with and vice versa is starting to crumble big-time.

What? :lmao

mariners
06-09-2011, 02:24 PM
where did my thread go?

Strike
06-09-2011, 02:29 PM
I have no problem with what Tony said. At least he didn't give a cookie-cutter rose colored glasses view of the Spurs chances.

cantthinkofanything
06-09-2011, 02:37 PM
where did my thread go?

In your boyfriend's butt.

mariners
06-09-2011, 02:52 PM
In your boyfriend's butt.
i highly doubt its in your butt

cantthinkofanything
06-09-2011, 02:57 PM
i highly doubt its in your butt

your thread can't handle my butt

yavozerb
06-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Wow, not sure if this is posted yet, but Pop not having a good summer it sounds like..
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/06/09/pop-says-he-doesnt-care-what-tp-says-about-spurs/

4>0rings
01-10-2012, 10:32 PM
:lmao

He's playing just like he thinks, it's over.

GSH
01-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Steve Nash won't make a comment like that about Phoenix, as bad as they are. Tony was out of fucking line, whether he was "correct" or not. Doesn't matter. Once you've said something like that, I'm not sure where you go with it.

Now that I think about it, THAT'S what he's playing like. A guy who thinks there's no chance to win it all. He's not so old that he can't keep up. Hell, Chauncy Billups is 6 years older and coming off a groin injury, and he is playing with more fire than Tony. He looks like someone going through the motions.