PDA

View Full Version : If Kidd wins a ring does he become 4th best PG ever?

nkdlunch
06-08-2011, 09:17 AM
1. Magic
2. Oscar
3. Thomas
4. Kidd
5. Stockton

???

in2deep
06-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Why not? I would not rank Stockton over him.

endrity
06-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Bob Cousy? Earl The Pearl?

Just saying to be honest, I am not really sure either. But Cousy should be somewhere in there. He was the first ballhandling magician in the league, and he won a lot as well.

I am sure CP3 will be in that conversation too

resistanze
06-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Kidd >> Stockton

ambchang
06-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Stockton has #3 locked. Can't blame him for having a choker pedophile as his best teammate.

Giuseppe
06-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Stockton has #3 locked. Can't blame him for having a choker pedophile as his best teammate.

Stockton was a selfish stat hog. He was given grace because of his skin pigment.

resistanze
06-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Giuseppe

CavsSuperFan
06-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Count the rings...Get real...
1- D Fisher
2- Magic

ALVAREZ6
06-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Count the rings...Get real...
1- D Fisher
2- Magic

Fisher and Magic both have 5 rings.

1.a. Magic
1.b. Fisher

jjktkk
06-08-2011, 11:51 AM
At this stage of his career, Kidd, while still a solid player, is not impacting a game like earlier in his career, so I don't think winning a ring this late in his career will change his legacy.

Phillip
06-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Pretty damn good list. Nash is pretty deserving of being in the top 5 as well.

I would also say Nash is the most offensively skilled PG in NBA history. Dude is just an offensive machine.

It would really be hard to rank the next 5 after Magic, out of Robertson, Kidd, Nash, Stockton, and Zeke. Depends a lot on what your team needs are. Nash or Stockton if you need offensive floor generals that can score if needed. Zeke if you want a shoot-first type of PG that creates assists with his scoring ability as opposed to vision, discipline and IQ like Nash/Stockton. Kidd and Robertson are probably the most adaptable, while not quite as skilled offensively as Nash, Stockton, or Zeke.

People might bash me a bit on being hesitant on Robertson, but there is no questioning that he was the Wilt Chamberlain of guards... simply came way ahead of his time, and dominated in an era that was not equipped to defend him. Great player, no question, but I strongly doubt he averages 30/10/10 in the league from the 80s onward. Also people don't realize how many minutes a game he played, ranging from 42-45 every year for a long time, while its uncommon these days to find superstars who play 40+ a night for a whole season. Very easy to rack up more stats with the extra 5-7 minutes a night.

Phillip
06-08-2011, 11:54 AM
At this stage of his career, Kidd, while still a solid player, is not impacting a game like earlier in his career, so I don't think winning a ring this late in his career will change his legacy.

Hes not the #1 guy, but he is still a VERY important part of this team. He has done a great job of guarding guys like Kobe, Durant, Wade, and Lebron in late game situations, helps create easy buckets for teammates to take pressure off of Dirk, grabs key rebounds, and hits shots when it matters most. The fact that he is this old, and is finding ways to get the job done, especially in defending guys like Kobe and Wade late, is very impressive and should speak volumes as to what kind of a player Kidd is. IMO, while less flashy and noticable, its arguably every bit as impressive as what he was doing in NJ.

Muser
06-08-2011, 12:00 PM

I would also say Nash is the most offensively skilled PG in NBA history. Dude is just an offensive machine.

It would really be hard to rank the next 5 after Magic, out of Robertson, Kidd, Nash, Stockton, and Zeke. Depends a lot on what your team needs are. Nash or Stockton if you need offensive floor generals that can score if needed. Zeke if you want a shoot-first type of PG that creates assists with his scoring ability as opposed to vision, discipline and IQ like Nash/Stockton. Kidd and Robertson are probably the most adaptable, while not quite as skilled offensively as Nash, Stockton, or Zeke.

People might bash me a bit on being hesitant on Robertson, but there is no questioning that he was the Wilt Chamberlain of guards... simply came way ahead of his time, and dominated in an era that was not equipped to defend him. Great player, no question, but I strongly doubt he averages 30/10/10 in the league from the 80s onward. Also people don't realize how many minutes a game he played, ranging from 42-45 every year for a long time, while its uncommon these days to find superstars who play 40+ a night for a whole season. Very easy to rack up more stats with the extra 5-7 minutes a night.

Edit: My bad, good post :tu

jjktkk
06-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Hes not the #1 guy, but he is still a VERY important part of this team. He has done a great job of guarding guys like Kobe, Durant, Wade, and Lebron in late game situations, helps create easy buckets for teammates to take pressure off of Dirk, grabs key rebounds, and hits shots when it matters most. The fact that he is this old, and is finding ways to get the job done, especially in defending guys like Kobe and Wade late, is very impressive and should speak volumes as to what kind of a player Kidd is. IMO, while less flashy and noticable, its arguably every bit as impressive as what he was doing in NJ.

Agree. What I was trying to get across, was Kidd's age preventing him from impacting a game like earlier in his career. One thing that I have been impressed with Kidd, was his ability to develop his jumper late in his career. I can't recall a NBA player being able to do that like Kidd has been able to.

Dex
06-08-2011, 12:26 PM
You forgot about Parker. :lol

Phillip
06-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Agree. What I was trying to get across, was Kidd's age preventing him from impacting a game like earlier in his career. One thing that I have been impressed with Kidd, was his ability to develop his jumper late in his career. I can't recall a NBA player being able to do that like Kidd has been able to.

MJ developed a much more consistent jumper late in his career, but yeah, not too many have been able to do so like Kidd has.

Brazil
06-08-2011, 01:03 PM
You forgot about Parker. :lol

not part of the discussion but dude deserves the respect for what he has achieved

ambchang
06-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Stockton was a selfish stat hog. He was given grace because of his skin pigment.

You are talking about him like a white Marbury.

Stockton's assist totals were skeptical at best (those stat keepers, I tell you), but he was willing to do whatever it takes to win, and his defense is probably the best out of the bunch.

TJastal
06-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Jason Kidd can still defend and rebound incredibly well for his size and age, although Wade chewed him up and spit him out in game 3 (Wade is pretty much doing that to everybody atm though)

I was impressed with his defense on LeRobin last night, about as good as can be expected.

hater
06-08-2011, 03:14 PM
no way Stockton was a better defender than Kidd

Phillip
06-08-2011, 03:17 PM
no way Stockton was a better defender than Kidd

+1

i was wondering what possessed him to say Stockton > Kidd on defense

maybe the only better defensive PG ever was Gary Payton.

hater
06-08-2011, 03:19 PM
probably the same reason ppl say CP3 is better defender than Kidd. # of steals * @ of flops + referee help :rolleyes

Payton could guard quick guys but Kidd can guard big guys

ElNono
06-08-2011, 04:36 PM
I have him 5th:

1. Magic
2. Manu
3. Oscar
4. Thomas
5. Kidd

TJastal
06-08-2011, 04:38 PM
I have him 5th:

1. Magic
2. Manu
3. Oscar
4. Thomas
5. Kidd

Did you have a brain fart in there somewhere, El Nono?

ElNono
06-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Did you have a brain fart in there somewhere, El Nono?

Why?

TJastal
06-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Why?

Manu has always played shooting guard, why rate him amongst point guards?

ElNono
06-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Manu has always played shooting guard, why rate him amongst point guards?

He's been our official backup PG for a while... heck, he's been running the offense at end of games since basically '05 onwards.

Guys like him or Magic don't really have a fixed position. Calling them a PG or SG is more a formality than anything. Obviously Magic was the more complete player.

I think the top 3 picks in the list are pretty solid. You could talk me into switching Thomas for Payton/Stockton, and whether Kidd overall is better than Nash overall. Debatable, tbh.

Sportstudi
06-08-2011, 04:53 PM
He's been our official backup PG for a while... heck, he's been running the offense at end of games since basically '05 onwards.

Guys like him or Magic don't really have a fixed position. Calling them a PG or SG is more a formality than anything. Obviously Magic was the more complete player.

I think the top 3 picks in the list are pretty solid. You could talk me into switching Thomas for Payton/Stockton, and whether Kidd overall is better than Nash overall. Debatable, tbh.

So, in your opinion Manu was a better "PG" than Oscar, Thomas, Stockton, Kidd or Nash? Seriously???
In his prime he was a very good SG, I don't deny that, but in terms of a PG he wasn't anywhere near these guys.

badfish22
06-08-2011, 04:54 PM
When spurfan tries to troll, they just wind up trolling other spurfans.

This is gnsf.

rayjayjohnson
06-08-2011, 04:54 PM
I have him 5th:

1. Magic
2. Manu
3. Oscar
4. Thomas
5. Kidd

:lmao manu better than stockton.

:lmao manu on that list to begin with.

ElNono
06-08-2011, 04:55 PM

This is gnsf.

:lol

ElNono
06-08-2011, 04:56 PM
So, in your opinion Manu is a better "PG" than Oscar, Thomas, Stockton, Kidd or Nash? Seriously???
In his prime he was a very good SG, I don't deny that, but in terms of a PG he wasn't anywhere near these guys.

I don't know about seriously. But yes, that's what I said.

ElNono
06-08-2011, 04:56 PM

sup ray... how's the irrelevant summer going?

Sportstudi
06-08-2011, 04:58 PM
I don't know about seriously. But yes, that's what I said.

Good to know :lol

Got me for a second :toast

Brazil
06-08-2011, 05:21 PM

:lmao 2502 posts and not getting it

endrity
06-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Yo, for real, there is very little love for Bob Cousy on this thread.

rayjayjohnson
06-08-2011, 06:04 PM
sup ray... how's the irrelevant summer going?

not bad. yours?

bounced by wc finalist > bounced by 8 seed.

rayjayjohnson
06-08-2011, 06:05 PM
lol @ spurs done as a franchise

Dex
06-08-2011, 06:06 PM
lol @ spurs done as a franchise

lol @ nuggets never even got started

rayjayjohnson
06-08-2011, 06:09 PM
lol u mad?

we got youth moving forward.

you got an athritis-riddled zombie, and slimey frenchman, a balding argo and a soft-as-shit brazillian.

Dex
06-08-2011, 06:11 PM
lol u mad?

we got youth moving forward.

you got an athritis-riddled zombie, and slimey frenchman, a balding argo and a soft-as-shit brazillian.

we got 4 rings. :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

rayjayjohnson
06-08-2011, 06:27 PM
3 and a half. everyone knows 1999 doesn't matter

dunkman
06-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Magic, Oscar, Isaiah, Stock and perhaps Frazier would still be better.

ElNono
06-08-2011, 08:21 PM
not bad. yours?

pretty good, actually, tbh.

Spursfan092120
06-08-2011, 09:27 PM
3 and a half. everyone knows 1999 doesn't matter

Looks like it matters here...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Spurs-trophies20090312.jpg

nevitt_&_smrek
06-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Don't forget Cousy, Frazier, Cheeks, Archibald. Maybe even Mark Jackson.

Kidd is one of the most overrated players ever.

dirk4mvp
06-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Don't forget Cousy, Frazier, Cheeks, Archibald. Maybe even Mark Jackson :lmao.

great post.

Giuseppe
06-08-2011, 09:42 PM

But, when the end came for him, he reinvented his game to where he had to be dealt with again, in a sustained & different way. Then this playoff season he mentally prepared himself in a dispassionate way that has enabled him to lead that team thru 3+ playoff sessions.

He's totally lost in the game. I think he's wonderful.

dirk4mvp
06-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Giuseppe

nevitt_&_smrek
06-08-2011, 09:50 PM
great post.

Kidd sucks. I've never understood the media hype surrounding this guy. It's really a shame trash like this have to tag along and steal any of Dirk's glory if the Mavs win.

DAF86
06-08-2011, 09:54 PM

This is gnsf.

It's easier to troll Spursfans in a Spurs forum, tbh.

I'm pretty sure I could generate 5+ pages of responses with only one comment on that crappy Mavs forum.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-08-2011, 10:14 PM
The muthafuckin goods tbh

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Yo, for real, there is very little love for Bob Cousy on this thread.
That's because he'd be a D-leaguer in today's NBA

badfish22
06-08-2011, 10:29 PM
It's easier to troll Spursfans in a Spurs forum, tbh.

I'm pretty sure I could generate 5+ pages of responses with only one comment on that crappy Mavs forum.

:cry Could you really?

DAF86
06-08-2011, 10:33 PM
:cry Could you really?

I don't know, I may get banned.

jdiggy0424
06-08-2011, 10:34 PM
That's because he'd be a D-leaguer in today's NBA

lol cousy being a d leaguer. You're delusional.

jdiggy0424
06-08-2011, 10:39 PM

I have to disagree about Isiah Thomas. Next to Magic and Payton he's one of the most complete point guards ever, with Paul cracking this list in the next 5 years or so. If i wanted to build a team, my ranking of pg's would be Magic, Isiah, Robertson, Payton and Stockton in that order, although Chris Paul's play in the playoffs has me reconsidering Stockton on the list.

rayjayjohnson
06-09-2011, 03:20 AM
pretty good, actually, tbh.

:lol same actually

resistanze
06-09-2011, 07:38 AM
The muthafuckin goods tbh

Elbowing people in the gut and passing up layups for assists doesn't impress you?

ambchang
06-09-2011, 07:58 AM
probably the same reason ppl say CP3 is better defender than Kidd. # of steals * @ of flops + referee help :rolleyes

Payton could guard quick guys but Kidd can guard big guys

Not really, it's because back in the days of Stockton, there weren't that many "big" PGs. Magic was pretty much the only one.

Stockton had the wits (some say dirtiness) to keep up with most PGs, he was most definitely a better defender than Magic and Zeke, I don't know about Robertson because nobody played defense back in the day, and Kidd is just from a different era.

cheguevara
06-09-2011, 08:42 AM

Mark Jackson? don't be a retard. oh wait, you're a laker fan. the damage is done.

Kidd raises the IQ level of the team he is in like nobody in that list except for Magic and Zeke.

Reggie Williams
06-09-2011, 10:05 AM
1. Tony Parker
2. Tony Parker
3. Tony Parker
4. Tony Parker
5. DPG aka DA POINT GUARD