PDA

View Full Version : Cop fired after helping fellow officers in distress

Blake
06-08-2011, 11:05 AM
It was a Saturday on campus when David Sedmak, a Rice University police officer, heard "Officer down, officer down!" on his scanner: Two members of the Houston Police Department had been shot downtown. Sedmak rushed to the scene to help his fellow officers.

But Rice didn't see Sedmak as a hero. Instead, the university fired him, citing "dereliction of duty."......

more

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110607/us_yblog_thelookout/cop-fired-after-helping-fellow-officers-in-distress?bouchon=623,tx

apparently no good deed goes unpunished at Rice.

no problem with the firing though.

ididnotnothat
06-08-2011, 11:10 AM
I would appeal.

coyotes_geek
06-08-2011, 11:14 AM
He definitely should have notified the university police dispatcher of his whereabouts, but firing seems a bit harsh though. Seems like a reprimand, fine or suspension would have been adequate.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-08-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm with CG. I get the need for discipline, clearly a violation of policy but unless this guy's got a spotty service record already I don't understand the firing.

Blake
06-08-2011, 11:55 AM
He definitely should have notified the university police dispatcher of his whereabouts, but firing seems a bit harsh though. Seems like a reprimand, fine or suspension would have been adequate.

after further review, considering that Rice even admitted that it's cops often assist other law enforcement agencies when the need arises, then it does seem that the firing was way too excessive.

mrsmaalox
06-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Well maybe he can land a better gig with the Houston PD.

PM5K
06-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Yup too excessive.

DMC
06-09-2011, 12:17 AM
There's more to it obviously. Responding to an officer down as a campus police, strange jurisdictional territory should gun play ensue. Also a cop is missing for an hour, possibly not responding to dispatch or the fellow officer.

Still, there had to be something else going on, like he said something and pissed off the wrong person at the school.

BlackSwordsMan
06-09-2011, 12:45 AM
I don't think SAC has campus police.

ploto
06-10-2011, 12:26 AM
I am still a little perplexed by the story. How did a guy from on-campus at Rice get to the bus station downtown before any Houston Police Department Officer assigned to the area could? Also, in the time it would take for him to get there, how did he never have any clue to notify the Rice Police dispatcher of what was going on and where he was headed, especially if he has 17 years experience? I can not help but wonder if this guy who has been a Galveston Police Officer has had a pattern of being a little too "eager" for someone who works for the University Police at a private university.

thispego
06-10-2011, 01:58 AM
lol helping 'his fellow officers'

ima have to go with ploto on this one...

" I can not help but wonder if this guy who has been a Galveston Police Officer has had a pattern of being a little too "eager" for someone who works for the University Police at a private university."