PDA

View Full Version : Here's the problem with saying we're losing...

Yonivore
09-21-2004, 09:02 PM
...the war on terrorism, or that we're losing in Iraq, for that matter:

London's left-wing Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/afghanistan/story/0,1284,1302282,00.html) reports on a group of American oldsters vacationing in Afghanistan:

"The tourists have encountered only generosity from ordinary Afghans. 'We make quite a stir wherever we go,' said Dick Bogart, a retired computer salesman from San Francisco and grandfather of 10. 'It's been very touching.'"
But, elsewhere in the article:

"'My main object in life is to get Bush out of the White House,' said Connie Pencall, a retired teacher. 'He is a terrible, terrible man. We are not welcomed anywhere any more.'"
If Americans "are not welcomed anywhere any more," how is it that the American tour group has "encountered only generosity from ordinary Afghans"? Is this one of those "fake but accurate" assertions?

It wobbles the mind.

SpursWoman
09-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Question. Are we supposed to feel sorry for them should they be kidnapped and given the Marie Antoinette treatment by terrorist groups?

WTF are they thinking?

Yonivore
09-21-2004, 09:07 PM
No, we're not.

exstatic
09-21-2004, 10:35 PM
Question. Are we supposed to feel sorry for them should they be kidnapped and given the Marie Antoinette treatment by terrorist groups?

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Good one, SW. I think this was one lucky fucking group that accidentally stayed in the 200 or so sq. miles that the US actually controls in Afghanistan.

Yonivore
09-21-2004, 10:38 PM
According to the story they toured most of the country.

xrayzebra
09-21-2004, 10:40 PM
Exstatic, if you had a brain you would take it out and
play with it, like everything else.

SpursWoman
09-21-2004, 10:51 PM
I'm serious. They're cruising through Baghdad in their Winnebago's and the next thing you know they are being broadcast live on Iraqi web sites. What's wrong with like, the Grand Canyon or Missouri if you're looking for a little adventure?

Of course I would feel terrible if anything like that happened...but WTF? Some things just completely boggle my mind.

Nbadan
09-22-2004, 05:59 AM
Most Euro's know that there is a difference between the will of the American people and the will of the American government. It is not the American people that everyone is pissed at, well, except for maybe the French, but members of the American Government, and namely, officials in the * administration.

Tommy Duncan
09-22-2004, 07:03 AM
Good for them.

IcemanCometh
09-22-2004, 10:14 AM
feh tourists

spurster
09-22-2004, 10:34 AM
Most people can go in and out of a crimeridden district without being robbed, but that doesn't make it safe or smart to go there in the first place.

Joe Chalupa
09-22-2004, 11:30 AM
We are not losing.
We could clean house in a minute.