PDA

View Full Version : Looks like a good chance of Bye Bye to Obambam care

Wild Cobra
06-08-2011, 10:20 PM
U.S. judges seem receptive to health care challenge (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jun/8/us-judges-seem-receptive-health-care-challenge/)

As for Bamm Bamm...

I'm thinking of how Obambam breaks things!

Y8s42X8mrvY

Am I dating myself with this 1963 episode?

ChumpDumper
06-08-2011, 10:28 PM
No, you're just making yourself look like more of an idiot calling him that name.

ElNono
06-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Did this hit the Supreme Court yet? yawn...

boutons_deux
06-09-2011, 06:21 AM
I don't know about this court, but until recently, every Repug judge ruled against ACA, while every Dem judge ruled for ACA. Lady Justice really is (mythically) blind.

TheProfessor
06-09-2011, 07:21 AM
This is a three-person panel from the Eleventh Circuit, whose decision would be nonbinding on any other appellate circuit in the country (though they could still enter injunctive relief, they would likely stay while waiting for appeal). Even if they delivered an adverse ruling, the Eleventh Circuit could still review en banc (the entire appellate court rather than a panel). And I hate to tell you this, but it's very likely this law will be upheld, regardless of political affiliation, when it arrives at the Supreme Court. The Roberts Court is very deferential to executive and legislative judgment, and I do not believe it will fall along partisan lines as you have seen in the lower courts.

TheInternets
06-09-2011, 07:59 AM
It's amazing how much kicking and screaming people do when you try to improve the general quality of life for all citizens.

boutons_deux
06-09-2011, 08:11 AM
right-wingers are racist, elitist psychopaths

fyatuk
06-09-2011, 08:43 AM
It's amazing how much kicking and screaming people do when you try to improve the general quality of life for all citizens.

Debatable. Would significantly lower my quality of life.

cheguevara
06-09-2011, 08:46 AM

you work for the insurance companies huh?

TheInternets
06-09-2011, 08:47 AM

Significantly? As in, well now I own two cars and three pets but if that bill passes I'm going to have to give away Rover and sell my Mustang?

Also, I'm fairly certain that no bill introduced can possibly have a positive affect on every citizen. So of course I'm speaking in a general sense when I say improved quality of life, but the point remains. The US is the worst country in the world as far as providing decent health care among wealthy nations. Do you really think it's a coincidence that we are the only one still clinging to privatized health care?

boutons_deux
06-09-2011, 08:51 AM
All taxpayers' lives would be "significantly" higher if the US terminated its policy of MANDATING all taxpayer-financed medical services to treat any uninsured person, just let them bleed, squirm, scream, rot to death. Nowhere in the Constitution is government medical service mandated.

jack sommerset
06-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Lets hope

clambake
06-09-2011, 09:10 AM
can't wait to pay for wc's healthcare.

fyatuk
06-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Significantly? As in, well now I own two cars and three pets but if that bill passes I'm going to have to give away Rover and sell my Mustang?

As in the added cost might cause me to have to sell my house and move into a rathole apartment. Make too much to qualify for significant help, but have a lot of debt (from helping out my brother so he and my niece didn't starve in the streets) so can't afford to add any expenses. At the very least I'm going to have to kill some non-essential services, and cut my food costs.

Also, I'm fairly certain that no bill introduced can possibly have a positive affect on every citizen. So of course I'm speaking in a general sense when I say improved quality of life, but the point remains. The US is the worst country in the world as far as providing decent health care among wealthy nations. Do you really think it's a coincidence that we are the only one still clinging to privatized health care?

Quite true. But, I have 2 problems with the bill.

1) Individual Mandate. If it worked like car insurance (covered costs above the deductible, etc) I'd be fine with it. But medical insurance is a managed health plan, not a real insurance plan. Mandating that is crap.

2) Focuses on increasing the use of private insurance and not reducing base costs. Not only that, it tries to completely define the way private companies operate, restricting their income, expense, and revenue models to eliminate differentiation in the marketplace. There's basically going to be very little in the way of options, because every company is going to offer nearly identical plans and nearly identical prices.

There are so many better options for improving healthcare than what was done (which I don't think will do much except increase the amount of money spent on healthcare by quite a bit), but unfortunately the healthcare insurance lobby has too much clout.

And yes, I was for a public option as long as it wasn't mandatory. I do not like mandates.

TeyshaBlue
06-09-2011, 10:01 AM
right-wingers are racist, elitist psychopaths

http://www.audioandanarchy.com/images/smilies/fack.png

TeyshaBlue
06-09-2011, 10:02 AM
It's amazing how much kicking and screaming people do when you try to improve the general quality of life for all insurance companies.

fify

Wild Cobra
06-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Fyatuk, you forget one thing about comparing it to mandatory car insurance.

A car is not required. How do you not require someone to live?

It's a slippery slope. If we require people to buy this service that some don't want, what else are we opening up for government to dictate to us to buy?

ChumpDumper
06-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Eh, conservative Republicans thought it up. I'll give it a chance.

fyatuk
06-09-2011, 12:57 PM

I wasn't comparing mandate for car insurance to a mandate for catastrophic cost health insurance. I was using auto insurance as an example of the type of health insurance policy I would accept as a mandate. That's just an opinion.

I feel a mandate (though preferably at the state level) for catatrophic cost coverage is reasonable, considering ER's cannot legally deny necessary care. That's my opinion. And you can get a decent catstrophic cost policy for a small fraction of the cost of a managed health policy.

clambake
06-09-2011, 01:02 PM
I wasn't comparing mandate for car insurance to a mandate for catastrophic cost health insurance. I was using auto insurance as an example of the type of health insurance policy I would accept as a mandate. That's just an opinion.

I feel a mandate (though preferably at the state level) for catatrophic cost coverage is reasonable, considering ER's cannot legally deny necessary care. That's my opinion. And you can get a decent catstrophic cost policy for a small fraction of the cost of a managed health policy.

wc refuses to buy any healthcare. he's still nanny stating us.

fyatuk
06-09-2011, 01:05 PM

I have not had health insurance in 9 years and have been to the doctor 3 times in the last 20 (all paid out of pocket).

I don't like managed health policies and admittedly am resently the government wants to force me to buy one. I also think a large portion of our population are complete wusses who go to the doctor for things that it's just not necessary for.

George Gervin's Afro
06-09-2011, 01:06 PM

It's a slippery slope. If we require people to buy this service that some don't want, what else are we opening up for government to dictate to us to buy?

mr slippery slope,

Didn't you just state in another thread that you would restrict someone's right to repoduce legislatively if they couldn't afford it?

and then complain that people don't read your words?

clambake
06-09-2011, 01:07 PM
I have not had health insurance in 9 years and have been to the doctor 3 times in the last 20 (all paid out of pocket).

I don't like managed health policies and admittedly am resently the government wants to force me to buy one. I also think a large portion of our population are complete wusses who go to the doctor for things that it's just not necessary for.

nobody is worried about the cost of office visits.

fyatuk
06-09-2011, 01:32 PM
nobody is worried about the cost of office visits.

No, I mean I know a lot of people who have gone to the emergency room for things I wouldn't even miss work for. A lot of which would be better off going to someplace like Texas MedClinic for (mild sprains, non-life threatening flus, etc).

Like I said, I'm fairly biased, though. Before my generation, my family was raised on farms without easy access to medical care. We do for ourselves as best we can.

Wild Cobra
06-09-2011, 03:18 PM
I wish you would stop your slanderous lies.

I do pay for health care insurance. Statements I made before that said I wouldn't buy it were what I would choose to do under other different circumstance.

You make up lies more than anyone else here.

How does anyone live with you?

Agloco
06-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Why can't we allow folks to decide if they want to buy up front. For those that decline and need care later, mandatory enrollment at the time of care with retroactive wage garnishing and a hold on any tax returns until said bill is paid in full.

If the incentive is there even without the mandate it should compel folks to pony up. I'd probably buy in if faced with those scenarios.

Am I being too simplistic in my thinking here?

Wild Cobra
06-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Why can't we allow folks to decide if they want to buy up front. For those that decline and need care later, mandatory enrollment at the time of care with retroactive wage garnishing and a hold on any tax returns until said bill is paid in full.

If the incentive is there even without the mandate it should compel folks to pony up. I'd probably buy in if faced with those scenarios.

Am I being too simplistic in my thinking here?
I have no problem with enticing people to buy insurance, but the way this law is written is out of line in my view.

I pay out of pocket when I don't have insurance. One time, my ex had to go to the emergency room. The bill was in excess of $2k, but we paid it over time. I know, expenses can exceed that, but I would choose to have a cheap insurance with a $5k deductible or more. I see the whole idea of forcing me to but a product I do not want as absolutely unconstitutional.

DarkReign
06-10-2011, 10:04 AM
My plan has a $5800 deductible. Its the way to go.

Capt Bringdown
06-10-2011, 10:14 AM
One way capitalism can make health care worse and more expensive
(http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/06/health-reform)
What do we expect from a system in which, as ProPublica reports today, body imaging companies hire telemarketers to sell random people CT scans over the phone?

clambake
06-10-2011, 10:34 AM

I wish you would stop your slanderous lies.

I do pay for health care insurance. Statements I made before that said I wouldn't buy it were what I would choose to do under other different circumstance.

You make up lies more than anyone else here.

How does anyone live with you?

i bumped a post for you in the newt thread. you're welcome.

Stringer_Bell
06-10-2011, 11:50 AM
It's about damn time they revoke that bill!

I'm tired of parents calling into insurance companies to put their 18-26 adult children on their coverage plans. Total bullshit, those ne'er-do-wells need to put in 90 days at a job and get their own plans like everyone else. It's real simple...if you work, you have. Case closed!

Agloco
06-10-2011, 03:39 PM
One way capitalism can make health care worse and more expensive
(http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/06/health-reform)
What do we expect from a system in which, as ProPublica reports today, body imaging companies hire telemarketers to sell random people CT scans over the phone?

Wow. :wow

There needs to be a much tighter noose in this area of medicine. The CARE Act is aimed at this.