PDA

View Full Version : Dirk Is The Same Old Dirk

PM5K
06-09-2011, 03:50 PM
I keep hearing all of these people all over Dirks nuts, but honestly I see the same guy I always hated to see when we played the Mavs. The guy has always been a terrific player, I think the biggest praise we should be hearing about is how they went from being the allas Mavericks, to the Dallas Mavericks.

That change, and some of the other talent around him is why things are different, but to me that's the same old Dirk.

mavsfan1000
06-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Haslem is always the same Haslem. Making Dirk shoot under 40%.

PM5K
06-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Honestly, for me it's rare to see someone actually make him miss, he seems to miss or make shots regardless. Haslem might as well be an assistant coach with an upside down broom in his hand, it really makes no difference.

mavsfan1000
06-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Honestly, for me it's rare to see someone actually make him miss, he seems to miss or make shots regardless. Haslem might as well be an assistant coach with an upside down broom in his hand, it really makes no difference.
Have you been watching this series? Haslem has been all over Dirk and is by far the most effective player on Dirk. Dirk owns anyone else that tries to guard him but Haslem plays very physical.

stretch
06-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Have you been watching this series? Haslem has been all over Dirk and is by far the most effective player on Dirk. Dirk owns anyone else that tries to guard him but Haslem plays very physical.

People (including you) overrate Haslem's defense on Dirk. Its good, but not nearly as good as you make it out to be.

IMO Collison defended Dirk better than Haslem. In this series, Dirk has missed a lot of shots he normally makes, and when being guarded straight up, was forced to work a lot harder against Collison. What is making things tough in this series, is more so because of the traps and timely doubles that they shoot at Dirk, combined with Miamis ability to close out really quick on the perimeter. Normally, Dirk gets doubled, and easily kicks it out to an open shooter on the perimter. Did it all series against the Thunder and Lakers. But the Heat are making that harder with their committment to the perimeter, and the Mavs need to make them pay by using more backdoor and baseline cuts. As the series has gone on, they have utilized those more and been very effective. They need to use it more.

JamStone
06-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Haslem is doing similar things that Collison did. Bodying him up, playing physical, and getting away with little hand checks and grabs. Haslem was on him on that late game 4 lay-up too. Didn't stop him there. People praised Haslem for the end of game 3, but to me, Dirk just missed the jumper. Perhaps Haslem helped for him to take the jumper, but to me, it's more about how ready the defense was to collapse on a drive. Same thing with the end of game 4 and Dirk's lay-up. Miami's defense got caught off guard because they didn't expect Dirk to go so early. There was a lane, Dirk drove, and Haslem's defense didn't stop it.

Playing Dirk physically will yield some results. But I agree that it's more or less about Dirk and whether he's hitting his shots. You can't really stop him from taking his midrange jumpers. I liked how that ESPN Sports Science segment said that even if a defender was as tall as Yao Ming and had Derrick Rose's vertical, he still wouldn't be able to block Dirk's one legged fade-away.

Ghazi
06-09-2011, 04:14 PM
:lol bullsfan1000

:lol Josh Howard > Dirk
:lol Devin Harris
:lol Dirk is not a superstar

cheguevara
06-09-2011, 04:16 PM
This Dirk we spursfans know he has been beasting us since Bowen retired. But he wasn't like this vs. other teams. Now he is.

he's on a mission and he's the great white hope

mavsfan1000
06-09-2011, 04:17 PM
:lol bullsfan1000

:lol Josh Howard > Dirk
:lol Devin Harris
:lol Dirk is not a superstar
Josh Howard was unbelievable at one point. Even you had to be impressed. He played on both sides of the court amazingly well. Nonetheless, he totally dropped off soon after shockingly. :wow Anyways Dirk shot terribly in the NBA Finals against the Heat in 2006 and once again is shooting poorly against Haslem but the starters aren't as much of a problem for Dirk. If Miami is smart, they play Haslem more minutes.

dirk4mvp
06-09-2011, 04:19 PM
This Dirk we spursfans know he has been beasting us since Bowen retired. But he wasn't like this vs. other teams. Now he is.

:lol what was Dirk's numbers in the 06 series when Bowen was guarding him?

stretch

he beasted on the spurs even when they still had bowen, dumbshit

mavsfan1000
haslem plays decent D on dirk, but saying josh howard was at any point ever comparable in talent to dirk makes me want to slap the shit out of you.
Howard was having comparable stats to Dirk and was our defensive stopper as well. Yes I agree that it looks stupid now but Howard was looking like a superstar. Don't know what the fuck happened to him. I guess injuries and weed.

dirk4mvp
06-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Howard was having comparable stats to Dirk and was our defensive stopper as well. Yes I agree that it looks stupid now but Howard was looking like a superstar. Don't know what the fuck happened to him. I guess injuries and weed.

Howard was at one time a really good player but never even close to looking like a superstar.

stretch
06-09-2011, 04:20 PM
comparable stats? lol he never even broke 20ppg at any point

stretch
06-09-2011, 04:22 PM
but I will agree, Howard had talent and skills of a superstar player, but never had the mentality. he was one of the most well rounded players I have ever seen, but would have too many mental lapses for him to ever fully develop, and then went completely bonkers after Harris was traded away, like bullfan1000 did

mavsfan1000
06-09-2011, 04:26 PM
comparable stats? lol he never even broke 20ppg at any point
There was a point where when Dallas was winning, Howard was the leading scorer more often than Dirk. And Howard played great defense to go along with leading the team in scoring. You act like it didn't happen. Dirk didn't have to score a lot. He was cruising basically while Dallas was dominating the league. I believe that was their 67 win season.

Jodelo
06-09-2011, 04:39 PM
bullsfan1000 showing his knowledge.

If Dirk misses he just missed, ask Collison or Odom that Defense has nothing to do with him missing a shot!

stretch
06-09-2011, 04:45 PM
There was a point where when Dallas was winning, Howard was the leading scorer more often than Dirk. And Howard played great defense to go along with leading the team in scoring. You act like it didn't happen. Dirk didn't have to score a lot. He was cruising basically while Dallas was dominating the league. I believe that was their 67 win season.

It was the beginning of 2007-2008 season, the year Harris got traded.

I remember because I was frustrated with Dirk playing like crap, while Howard was carrying the team. But that only lasted a couple months. Make no mistake, Howard was impressive during that run, but Dirk was still without question, the best player. That was evident by Howard's implosion after the Harris trade, and in the playoffs against New Orleans. Although Dallas was not neccesarily dominating the league as you suggest, probably with the intent to try to pump up Harris' nads.

Having a nice 2-3 month run, as opposed to an entire career of beastly numbers and great performances of leadership, is not in any way, shape, or form comparable.

mariners
06-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Dirk missed a ton of open looks in game 4 that he makes 70% of the time on Haslem, he will make those shots tonight, he is healthy now.

badfish22
06-09-2011, 04:54 PM
bullsfan takin the DAF "remember for that two weeks period when J-ho was awesome!!!" approach. Nice.

DAF86
06-09-2011, 04:57 PM
bullsfan takin the DAF "remember for that two weeks period when J-ho was awesome!!!" approach. Nice.

My approach was "lol Mavsfans saying Howard > Dirk" that's a lot worst than Ginobili > Dirk, tbh.

Ghazi
06-09-2011, 04:59 PM
:lol Manu > Dirk

DAF86
06-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Do you trade cards with 10 years old?

stretch
06-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Do you trade cards with 10 years old?

http://uvtblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/english-do-you-speak-it-demotivational-poster.jpg

DAF86
06-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Yes, as my second language.

Ghazi
06-09-2011, 05:28 PM
:lol Manu > Dirk

LakerHater
06-09-2011, 05:58 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/631433/dirk_medium.jpg

DPG21920
06-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Stretch uses too much hyperbole.

Ghazi
06-09-2011, 06:17 PM
get on AIM bro!!

DPG21920
06-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Can't. Out of town for work and no aim on my work comp sons. My prediction: Mavs win.

frodo
06-09-2011, 06:33 PM
scoring turns harder fo dirk in this series due to Heat's ######ball thats more of the team's rather than haslem's own effort imho, it ain't like the ryan bowen situation where dirk got completely locked down. marion plays awesome D on lebron and makes him suck 3 games however haslem's D is by no means near that standard imho