PDA

View Full Version : post a better solo.....

mouse
06-09-2011, 08:49 PM
go to the 1037 of 1006 portion of this film before you try to post a better solo...

VnnQFLoCbWw

silverblk mystix
06-09-2011, 09:19 PM
1037 ...of 1006....?

You already failed at this last time mouse...

still tryin' to get votes for Shenker?
:lol

BobKnight
06-11-2011, 02:55 AM
Most rock solos can't hold a candle to jazz solos.
Any idiot can learn a pentatonic scale and run shit all over it over some cheesy ass simple rock power chords. Soloing over jazz changes takes serious skills and knowledge of music theory. There's more being told in a jazz solo. Rock solos tends to be a bunch of fast shredding muscle memory finger running more style over substance crap. I am generalizing btw.

symple19
06-11-2011, 03:48 AM
http://www.myfreewallpapers.net/starwars/wallpapers/han-solo.jpg

greyforest
06-11-2011, 04:52 AM
im gonna go with david gilmour on time. a lot of people would say comfortably numb instead, but the solo on time melts my face quite a bit more.

another really good contender is at 1:45 here:
u-_AaWq-f5w

silverblk mystix
06-11-2011, 05:51 AM
Most rock solos can't hold a candle to jazz solos.
Any idiot can learn a pentatonic scale and run shit all over it over some cheesy ass simple rock power chords. Soloing over jazz changes takes serious skills and knowledge of music theory. There's more being told in a jazz solo. Rock solos tends to be a bunch of fast shredding muscle memory finger running more style over substance crap. I am generalizing btw.

Maybe...

Jazz musicians are among the best musicians in music-but sometimes it is not only about knowledge of theory or sophisticated chords...

A solo could be many things to many different people...

A Jazz solo could be brilliant--yet not move anyone emotionally. It could also do both.

A rock solo could be simple but yet move you to tears. It could also be boring.

The blues is considered simple music but many famous guitarists have played some of the best solos on a simple 12 bar blues progression.

The listener may not care about brilliant theory skills and/or complex chords...but may prefer some speed, tone, passion, fluidity,etc...

In music it may not always be about knowledge but about connecting with an audience.

Just my .02 cents.

mojorizen7
06-11-2011, 06:51 AM
Fuck off ya'll...:hat
3:30 thru....
Sit down. Buckle up. Call in sic.,,,then take a nap.
lK92W2RzbjE

BobKnight
06-11-2011, 07:03 AM
The listener may not care about brilliant theory skills and/or complex chords...but may prefer some speed, tone, passion, fluidity,etc...

In music it may not always be about knowledge but about connecting with an audience.

Just my .02 cents.

Fair enough.

mojorizen7
06-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Repost:
A select few of my favorites.
#1 Bar none, Jimi Hendrix "Machine Gun" w/Band of Gypsies live at the Filmore. Like Lenny Kravitz once said in an interview when asked about that performance..."After listening to Machine Gun i have to take a nap."
Played with a blend of soul,fire,soaring beauty, pure rawness and aggression. The first note of the lead is sick.....and it hangs there....forever.....until he's about to let you off the hook and no,same note again. Sick. The middle section where Jimi is obviously playing in his own world(probably in another solar system)is like listening to a chorus of dying souls poured out thru a piece of wood & 6 strings....played by a man. Unbelievable. The use of feedback in tiny spots here & there is flawless(live performance). Even Jimi's mastery of having to re-tune his guitar towards the end after sucking the life out of it is a treat to behold.
It's also worth mentioning that this song(and performance)was performed with Jimi & Billie tuned a whole step down to D....and because this tune is played in the low end E configuration , tuning a whole step down gives it that dark,meaty, eerie quality.
Here's a youtube cut of this performance but the experience of this song & performance should only be heard & not seen IMO. Plus the audio quality here is crap. You can't even hear the groove of the bass & drum work going on behind Jimi's guitar.
Get the CD if you don't already own it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV74PsUo1dc

The rest not in any particular order....
Eric Johnson "Desert Rose" The king of tone finds melody over a fairly unmelodic chord progression and at the same time get's meaty.

Toto ""Hold the Line" Pop shredding at it's best....Steve Lukather.

Pink Floyd "Hey You" Gimour still my favorite living guitar player. The sweet build thru octaves is mesmerizing along with his signature bends.

U2 "Even Better than the Real Thing" I love the erotic sound of the slide here. I almost listed "The Fly" but my nod goes to "Real Thing."

ZZ Top "I need You Tonight" Blues drenched in echo/delay and soul baby.

Rush "Digital Man" On an album where Lifeson's guitar work took a backseat, he tears it up as if unleashed here.

Supertramp "Goodbye Stranger" I always hated that when this tune was played on radio that 9 times outta 10 they'd do a fade out right as the guitar lead was just getting started for time constraints. An unorthodox solo but very moving.

Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing" Someone else mentioned this one. Duh? So tasty.

I could name a dozen or so more from Hendrix,Gilmour,EJ,Lifeson...and i left out several from Satriani,SRV etc...but WTF.

Whatever moves you beyond the vocals,drums or backbeat is golden....:toast