PDA

View Full Version : 80-52 and other thoughts from last nights game.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Here are some observations, thoughts from the game last night:

80-52. That’s what the Spurs v. Pistons score was after the Spurs shook off the 4-17 early deficit. The media and a lot of fans have said the Spurs started slow because of the rust from their layoff. I saw something else. I saw a team that started the game thinking they were still playing the defenseless Phoenix Suns. In that series the Spurs traded basket for basket with ease until the end of the 4th quarter when San Antonio would go into “lockdown” mode just long enough to win. It took the Spurs a little while to realize they were playing a truly great defensive team. I kept shouting “this isn’t Phoenix, guys!” I’m so glad they heard me! Once the Spurs started playing Pistons basketball they were much better at it than Detroit was.

Detroit’s bigs are good. That is actually good for the Spurs. The Sonics and Nuggets slowed down the Spurs by throwing useless post man after useless post man into the game to rough up TD, Parker, Ginobili and company. If one bozo fouled out there was an even bigger bozo to come in and burn a quick six. Detroit needs their big men to produce for them and can’t afford to let the Wallace boys and Atonio McDyess get into foul trouble. Detroit is good enough to stop the Spurs without being “thugs” but they aren’t deep enough to afford to lose any guys for making an “impression” on the Spurs.

Duncan’s quick attack of the basket was effective. I noticed Tim did a great job of posting down low and going quickly to the hoop as soon as the ball was fed in. Nazr should learn from Tim because Mohamed’s hesitation in the lane allowed Detroit to react on him several times, but TD was too darn quick to the basket last night. I’d expect Detroit to try to front Duncan a lot better in game 2, and I don’t expect much single coverage anymore. Bowen’s man will likely become the cheat double-teamer similar to the Seattle series.

Pop coached a great game. I love how Pop seems to coach better each and every year, and like his team he seems to gain some confidence as the playoffs progress. He used his bench better than Brown, and made the better in-game adjustments. Now coach Brown will definitely come back with changes of his own for game 2 and the test for Pop will be if he can continue to adjust as the series goes on. I think this year he’s proven he can do that well. Part of it is having more tools at his disposal, and part of it is his maturing as a premier coach in this league. My criticism of him last season was that he didn’t do enough adjustments in the Lakers series once Phil figured out how to stop Parker. I don’t see Brown making any changes in this series that Pop won’t figure out how to counter.

Stephen A. Smith is an idiot. Not new news, merely confirmation. He kept knocking the Detroit bigs in the post-game, but in my opinion they all played extremely well. I didn’t see the final blocked shot stats but I’d guess there were a couple of dozen Spurs shots that were either blocked or altered by those guys. As for the lack of offense in the Pistons post, Duncan, Nazr and Horry are all taller than the Pistons bigs and play pretty good D themselves. The Pistons guards weren’t able to get their post guys the ball in places to score. Combine those reasons as to why the Pistons bigs had low offensive production, but don’t knock their effort Stephanie A. Smith. . .you freaking tool!

Anyway, that’s all I have. . .Spurs in 6.

SPAM!!

SpursWoman
06-10-2005, 02:39 PM
I kept shouting “this isn’t Phoenix, guys!” I’m so glad they heard me!

:lol :makeout

samikeyp
06-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Fear the power of the Chopper! :)

desflood
06-10-2005, 02:44 PM
We love ya Chopper :lol

SpursChampsIII
06-10-2005, 02:44 PM
:tu :tu :tu

80-52. That’s what the Spurs v. Pistons score was after the Spurs shook off the 4-17 early deficit. The media and a lot of fans have said the Spurs started slow because of the rust from their layoff. I saw something else. I saw a team that started the game thinking they were still playing the defenseless Phoenix Suns. In that series the Spurs traded basket for basket with ease until the end of the 4th quarter when San Antonio would go into “lockdown” mode just long enough to win. It took the Spurs a little while to realize they were playing a truly great defensive team. I kept shouting “this isn’t Phoenix, guys!” I’m so glad they heard me! Once the Spurs started playing Pistons basketball they were much better at it than Detroit was.

Detroit’s bigs are good. That is actually good for the Spurs. The Sonics and Nuggets slowed down the Spurs by throwing useless post man after useless post man into the game to rough up TD, Parker, Ginobili and company. If one bozo fouled out there was an even bigger bozo to come in and burn a quick six. Detroit needs their big men to produce for them and can’t afford to let the Wallace boys and Atonio McDyess get into foul trouble. Detroit is good enough to stop the Spurs without being “thugs” but they aren’t deep enough to afford to lose any guys for making an “impression” on the Spurs.

Duncan’s quick attack of the basket was effective. I noticed Tim did a great job of posting down low and going quickly to the hoop as soon as the ball was fed in. Nazr should learn from Tim because Mohamed’s hesitation in the lane allowed Detroit to react on him several times, but TD was too darn quick to the basket last night. I’d expect Detroit to try to front Duncan a lot better in game 2, and I don’t expect much single coverage anymore. Bowen’s man will likely become the cheat double-teamer similar to the Seattle series.

Pop coached a great game. I love how Pop seems to coach better each and every year, and like his team he seems to gain some confidence as the playoffs progress. He used his bench better than Brown, and made the better in-game adjustments. Now coach Brown will definitely come back with changes of his own for game 2 and the test for Pop will be if he can continue to adjust as the series goes on. I think this year he’s proven he can do that well. Part of it is having more tools at his disposal, and part of it is his maturing as a premier coach in this league. My criticism of him last season was that he didn’t do enough adjustments in the Lakers series once Phil figured out how to stop Parker. I don’t see Brown making any changes in this series that Pop won’t figure out how to counter.

Stephen A. Smith is an idiot. Not new news, merely confirmation. He kept knocking the Detroit bigs in the post-game, but in my opinion they all played extremely well. I didn’t see the final blocked shot stats but I’d guess there were a couple of dozen Spurs shots that were either blocked or altered by those guys. As for the lack of offense in the Pistons post, Duncan, Nazr and Horry are all taller than the Pistons bigs and play pretty good D themselves. The Pistons guards weren’t able to get their post guys the ball in places to score. Combine those reasons as to why the Pistons bigs had low offensive production, but don’t knock their effort Stephanie A. Smith. . .you freaking tool!

SPAM!!

CaptainLate
06-10-2005, 02:48 PM

Nazr's hesitation under the basket has been unnerving to me. Being around for years, I'm surprised no one has worked with him on it. I think during the offseason the Spurs definitely will, and with a full training camp under his belt with Timmy D, I think he's going to be around a long time (which is why I think Rasho will be traded).

I thought Spurs in 6, too. But after seeing the 80-52 output (after the slow start), I think if Spurs win Game 2 they will either sweep or win in 5 to show the world the Pistons were a fluke and that last year we were rigged out of defending our belt by an impossible 0.4 second catch-turn-and shoot jumper.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Nazr's hesitation under the basket has been unnerving to me. Being around for years, I'm surprised no one has worked with him on it. I think during the offseason the Spurs definitely will, and with a full training camp under his belt with Timmy D, I think he's going to be around a long time (which is why I think Rasho will be traded).

You know, he had gotten a lot better at that. I can't remember him pump faking once in Phoenix or Seattle. I think all of Detroit's blocks must have helped him revert. I bet they'll have some fun with that in the film session today. Hopefully, he'll continue to improve. The guy has so much potential.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-10-2005, 03:21 PM
You know, he had gotten a lot better at that. I can't remember him pump faking once in Phoenix or Seattle. I think all of Detroit's blocks must have helped him revert. I bet they'll have some fun with that in the film session today. Hopefully, he'll continue to improve. The guy has so much potential.

I agree. He did a lot of great things last night and I think his potential is huge.

Sometimes, if I really squint looking at the TV, he looks a little like David Robinson.

But that could be because I don't have High-Def. :lol

T Park
06-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Next year,

if healthy.

Nazr Mohammed will be a 14 and 10 a game guy, and will be on the all star team.

Mark it down.

The guy has so much potential, and so much talent, that with this coaching staff he will really flourish.

I hope the lockout doesnt last long, so that Nazr can get a good summer workout with guys like Newman, Pop, Budenholzer, and others.

Spurs_Fan_Nineteen
06-10-2005, 03:34 PM

SPAM!!

President Bush publicly addressed the nation today, announcing that he had to make note of several important facts in the country today. Bush presented several topics that his cabinet had discussed, and completed the address by announcing that, "Ginobili kicks hardcore ass" and "Stephen A. Smith is a loud, obnoxious idiot."

God bless America

spvrs
06-10-2005, 03:37 PM
quality post, great observations

I love how Pop seems to coach better each and every year

remember when pop used to be so proud of not making adjustments... I still remember losing all those games to the Lakers that we up by 5 points with like 2 minutes to go and hear him say in the post game '... we're just going to keep doing the same thing...' (Although I don't remember it specifically I'm sure he added 'they just played a heckuva game').

Now he runs a different defense after time outs and has loads of sweet plays. the guy is outstanding...

MiNuS
06-10-2005, 03:51 PM
80-52

domination.

Solid D
06-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Hey, I think someone has been working with Nazr on going up quicker. He is still Mr. Diplodocus but he's a more effective Diplodocus.

http://www.revista.unam.mx/vol.2/num4/sabias1/imagenes/diplodocus.jpg

ShoogarBear
06-10-2005, 04:29 PM
My flight was late so I missed the first quarter.

After I arrived, all was well.

I expect a full playoff share.

boutons
06-10-2005, 04:42 PM
"The guy has so much potential, and so much talent, that with this coaching staff he will really flourish."

huh? after 4 years at KY and 7 years in NBA, I'm pretty damn sure the Nazr you see today is the Nazr you'll see next season. I've never heard that the Spurs' individual skills development programs can work magic or make obvious improvementsl, or if that is even a major effort of Pop's system.

Ignoring his newness and screw-ups in the Spurs' system, I see his most glaring weaknesses as lack of individual skills like being able to finish under the basket, not blocking out, not getting good RB position, not hustling, not getting his hands up, butter fingers, etc.

He's an NBA career "7 and 6" guy, and while I love what he adds beyond Rasho (easy to do), I can't see him increasing his numbers by 50% after a couple months with Bud or whomever else tries to help him. Averaging a small double-double for a season would put him in very elite company at the top of he NBA. I'd love to see it, but I don't think he's good enough at this point in his career. If he was in his first 3 years as an NBA center, ok, but he's 4 years past that and I bet he's hit his personal plateau.

grjr
06-10-2005, 04:44 PM
I agree. He did a lot of great things last night and I think his potential is huge.

Sometimes, if I really squint looking at the TV, he looks a little like David Robinson.

Nazr has Dave's free throw arc. Reminds me of Dave everytime he shoots them.

zedman
06-10-2005, 04:46 PM

But that could be because I don't have High-Def. :lol

:lol

Don't worry Ed, I saw it in HD and that *was* Nazr! :)

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-10-2005, 04:51 PM
I really wonder why people were so upset about trading Malik for him. If you squint I think it really looks like Malik out there. Hustling for the boards, coming up with solid D, fouling people when they really should just let it go, pump faking 15 times under the rim...

Mr. Body
06-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Duncan, Nazr and Horry are all taller than the Pistons bigs and play pretty good D themselves.

I saw a number of series previews talking about how the Detroit post men were too big and athletic for San Antonio. I swore I saw this many times and it confused me. Well, it didn't confuse me, since I knew they were wrong. You're exactly right - the Spurs paint players are taller, man for man, than the Pistons. Maybe even rangier.

That's one reason why they killed the Pistons on the boards (49 to 35). Ben Wallace, who's short but powerful, isn't quite the rebounder when he has to go against two slightly sub-7 footers who are gunning for every rebound. Of course this will change and Wallace will charge himself up. But I never understood why people weren't recognizing San Antonio's height advantage.

Hell, our bench center, Rasho Nesterovic, is bigger than anyone on their team. Their equivalent is Elden Campbell and I'd take Rasho any day between the two.