PDA

View Full Version : Plus/Minus, Game 1 NBA Finals: Spurs 84, Pistons 69

FromWayDowntown
06-10-2005, 02:47 PM
I thought these were interesting numbers that said quite a bit about where the Spurs made pushes in last night's game -- evidence of some nice contributions (Big Dog, in particular) that have been noted today. I also think the Pistons' numbers are interesting; fairly good number for Rasheed, terrible numbers for Prince and Big Ben.

Spurs
+17 --Ginobili
+15 --Parker
+12 --Horry
+11 --Robinson
+11 --Duncan
+6 --Bowen
+4 --Mohammed
+3 --Nesterovic
EVEN -- Udrih
-2 -- Brown
-2 -- Barry

Pistons
-1 -- R. Wallace
-1 -- Dupree
-1 -- Ham
-3 -- Arroyo
-6 -- Billups
-9 -- Hunter
-9 -- McDyess
-12 -- Hamilton
-14 -- Prince
-19 -- B. Wallace

bigbendbruisebrother
06-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Wow! So the Pistons would be better off if their entire box score listed DNP-CD

timvp
06-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Awesome, thanks FWD. This should be proof enough that Glenn Robinson should take Brent Barry's minutes in this series. Barry reverted back to his scared self now that the Spurs are playing a defensive team. Robinson stepped up to the challenge and played very well.

T Park
06-10-2005, 08:06 PM
exactly right Timvp, Brent Barry was running around and threw the ball away as fast as he could again.

Sit the chicken shit down and play Glenn Robinson.

BTW, how does Rasho get a +3 and never played???

Kori Ellis
06-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Rasho played the last few seconds and the Spurs hit a 3.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-10-2005, 08:08 PM
Awesome, thanks FWD. This should be proof enough that Glenn Robinson should take Brent Barry's minutes in this series. Barry reverted back to his scared self now that the Spurs are playing a defensive team. Robinson stepped up to the challenge and played very well.
Everybody run for cover, Whottt alert imminent! Save yourselves!

T Park
06-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Rasho played the last few seconds and the Spurs hit a 3.

damn Robert Horry coattailer lol.

I still find it hilarious now that its official.

Rasho Nesterovic has played in more Finals games than Kevin Garnett.

Whatta ya think of that fuckface?!?!?

MaNuMaNiAc
06-10-2005, 08:11 PM
damn Robert Horry coattailer lol.

I still find it hilarious now that its official.

Rasho Nesterovic has played in more Finals games than Kevin Garnett.

Whatta ya think of that fuckface?!?!?
I hope you're calling Garnett fuckface, and not who it seems you are!

Solid D
06-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Sadly, Devin always seems to have the lowest +/-...even when he's healthy.

Guru of Nothing
06-10-2005, 09:16 PM
I want to see Big Doggy hit a couple of midrange shots early on. That will open up the floodgates.

1Parker1
06-10-2005, 11:12 PM
I don't understand. How can every Piston player have a (-)? Including Billups--he was actually what kept them in the game till the end.

...Maybe I am just misinterpreting it.

FromWayDowntown
06-10-2005, 11:31 PM
I don't understand. How can every Piston player have a (-)? Including Billups--he was actually what kept them in the game till the end.

...Maybe I am just misinterpreting it.

The statistic measures the difference in the points scored by a team while a particular player is on the floor and the points allowed by that team. I don't have a specific example, but say that Player A started last night's game for the Spurs and left when the score was Detroit 17, Spurs 4. During the time that player was on the floor for the Spurs, he was -13 (4 minus 17 = -3). Now, say that Player A also played during the Spurs 19-4 run in the 4th Quarter. During that segment, Player A would be +15 (19 minus 4 = 15). When you aggregate the numbers, you get Player A at -3 and +15, so Player A is +12 for the game.

The Pistons' numbers prove, essentially, that the players who were on the floor when the Pistons built their big early lead were primarily on the floor when the Spurs made their comeback. The Pistons' numbers will pretty closely resemble the final score differential, because Larry plays his starters together for long stretches, and doesn't use his bench that much. The numbers for the SPurs are a bit more spread out, because Pop uses a lot of different combinations and rarely plays guys more than 37-40 minutes in a game.

Hope that helps some.