PDA

View Full Version : Manu's answer to press today about pre-draft 1999

Solid D
06-10-2005, 04:23 PM
A reporter asked Manu if he knew the Spurs or any other NBA teams were interested in him, prior to the draft in 1999. He said "no". He said he remembers checking one of the websites that "guesses" who will be drafted and he didn't see his name listed. Nobody gave him any indication he would be drafted and he said he figured he would go back to playing in Brazil or somewhere. He never knew he would be drafted until he was notified of it afterward. :lol

timvp
06-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Yeah, when he was drafted nobody knew who he was. I remember that the TNT people were stumped.

Little did they know ...

:smokin

ALVAREZ6
06-10-2005, 04:31 PM
That was such a great pick. A late 2nd round European player....who would have thought that he would become the all-star that he is...

Mijo
06-10-2005, 04:36 PM
I don't know about stats but he was pretty much doing the same thing overseas and for the Argentinian team no? I guess a lot of people figured he could never translate his game over to the NBA. I am pleasantly surprised.

whottt
06-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Yeah, when he was drafted nobody knew who he was. I remember that the TNT people were stumped.

Little did they know ...

:smokin

I read 2 weeks ago that Mike D'antoni was briefly a scout for the Spurs in 98 or 99 and it was he that first brought Manu to the Spurs attention...there was some article on it when we played the Suns...If that's true than D'antoni knew who he was and what he could potentially become.

TMTTRIO
06-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Hey I found this old article on Manu saying something like that. It's interesting to go back and read on.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/Emanuel_Ginobili__Meet_Manu-64526-70.html

Emanuel Ginobili – Meet Manu

Like many players who seem to have enjoyed “overnight success,” Emanuel Ginobili’s road to the NBA actually began many years before he hit the North American hardwood.
“Manu” (as he is known to his teammates and fans around the globe), began his journey before he could barely hold a basketball in his hand, much less shoot one from beyond the far reaches of the key.

A native of Bahia Blanca, Argentina, Ginobili, 25, says he grew up in a family for which basketball was an obsession. For a man whose home country’s men’s soccer team is currently ranked number two in the world, one would think that the game the rest of the world knows as “football” would be the rage, but the 6-6, 210-pound shooting guard says that basketball was the sport of choice for his family. His father was president of a local team, his two brothers played professionally, and a basketball club was a mere 200 feet from the family’s front porch.

“We are a very ‘sports’ family,” Ginobili says. “My father has always been a crazy fan of basketball. He loves the game so much. He’s been president of a really small team. Now that he’s retired, he’s in the club six hours a day.

“Since I was born, I spent a lot of time in the club with a basketball in my hand,” he continues. “It was natural … playing basketball.” Ginobili explains that in Argentina, the youth sports system is structured differently than in the United States.

“It’s not like here where kids learn by playing in school or at a university,” he says. “In Argentina, there are clubs for the various sports. In the morning, the kids go to school and in the evening, they go to the clubs to play basketball or whatever.”

Ginobili shot hoops with his brothers, 32-year-old Leandro, who spent the last five seasons playing in Argentina, and 30-year-old Sebastian, who played five seasons in Argentina before signing in Spain for the 2002-03 season. The little brother, Manu, outgrew his siblings by several inches and made his pro debut in Argentina in 1995-96.

After playing for Argentina’s Estudiantes Bahia Blanca in 1996-97 and 1997-98, Ginobili moved to Italy where he spent two seasons with Basket Viola Reggio Calabria before joining Virtus Bologna for the 2000-01 season.

It was during the 1998-99 season in Italy that Ginobili caught the eye of Spurs General Manager R.C. Buford and Head Scout Sam Schuler. That season, Ginobili averaged 16.9 points, 2.8 rebounds and 1.5 assists in 29 games. He shot .601 from the field, .336 from three-point-land and .758 from the free-throw line – numbers that are impressive in any league.

Coming on the heels of their first NBA Championship, the Spurs drafted Ginobili in the second round of the 1999 NBA Draft with their own 57th pick. “I first saw this guy in Australia at the World Championships,” Buford says. “At that time, I began an infatuation with him as a person and as a player. Over the course of time, it was great to see him grow through the Olympic Qualifier, playing against the “Dream Team,” and watching him perform so well at a young age. The next summer, we were able to draft him.”

The news of being drafted was a shock to Ginobili. “It was great!” he says. “I had a different feeling than what others might have. Many players, when they get drafted in the last positions, they are disappointed because they were expecting to be in the first round, whatever. But I didn’t expect to be drafted. I didn’t even know that the Draft was that day. :lol “The day after, when they woke me up with that news, I couldn’t even believe it. I was really happy.”

Ginobili adds that he did not expect to play in the NBA but, “since that moment, as the dream came closer, I began working even harder to reach this goal.” He made the very best of his time in Europe. During the 1999-2000 campaign, Manu continued to develop and improve. The following season, 2000-01, Ginobili played for Virtus Bologna of the Italian A1 League and was named MVP of both the Italian League and the Euroleague Finals as Bologna captured the title in both leagues. Still, the numbers tell of Manu’s improvement. He appeared in all 34 games, averaging 17.1 points, 4.4 rebounds, 2.6 assists and 2.82 steals in 28.9 minutes per game. He shot .621 from the field, .380 from behind the arc and .740 from the line, while leading Bologna to the Italian National Cup and the Italian Championship.

In 2001-02, Ginobili repeated as Italian League MVP, was named to his third straight Italian League All-Star Game and helped lead his Argentinean National Team (of which he has been a member since 1998) to a silver medal in the 2002 World Championships. And, how did it feel for his team to beat the highly rated U.S. squad? Surprisingly, Ginobili chooses to focus more on the positive aspects of how the game continues to improve in his native homeland than to gloat over the defeat of the United States team. “Basketball has always been important in Argentina,” he explains. “In the last few years, it’s gotten even better because many of us have gone on to play in Europe and we now have the opportunity to compete with better players. There’s always been talent in Argentina, but we didn’t have the possibility to make it explode to a higher level. In the last five or six years, Argentina basketball has grown a lot, and we’ve shown it at the World Championships – not only by beating the U.S. team, but by playing a good game and playing like a team. I’m very happy about this.”

Ginobili went down hard during the World Championships, wrenching an ankle which he nursed throughout Spurs training camp. But, he eagerly made the adjustment to basketball in the United States – both on the court and off.

The court’s logistics aside, Ginobili says he is trying to adapt to the American way of life – specifically, the American way of eating. “The food is pretty different than in Italy,” he says. “Here it is all ‘fast food.’ In Italy, having lunch and dinner is something really important. They take a lot of time for that … it’s a critical part of the day. Here, it’s lunch – 20 minutes – that’s it.”

Ginobili describes the European dining experience as “culture.” “In Europe, when you have dinner, you’re going to stay there two and a half hours,” he explains. “First, with the entrees – first dish, second dish – then the sweets, the coffee, the liqueurs. It’s culture. It’s dining.”

Ginobili says he also enjoys the same types of things most guys his age like to do, like “hanging out with my friends, being with my girl (Marianela, also from Argentina), listening to music and watching movies … those types of things.

”He counts Tom Hanks, Al Pacino, Bruce Willis and Robert DeNiro among his favorite performers, but says that he likes all genres of movies. “I don’t enjoy a specific kind of movie,” he says. “I like watching them all … from the romantic ones with my girl, because she likes those, to the action ones.”

Ginobili says that his main hobby, though, is the Internet. “I love it,” he says. “I use it a lot to communicate with my family and friends in Argentina, since they are really far away. From the first moment I went to Europe, the Internet has helped me keep in contact with my hometown and my family. So, here, it will be the same, I’m sure.” Check out Manu’s website: www.manuginobili.com.

Ginobili adds that in addition to having the support of his friends and family, his Spurs teammates have been helping him adapt to his new role and the new culture.

In turn, Ginobili wants to make a meaningful contribution to the team. “My hopes…there are so many,” he says. “First of all, I want to be an important player for this team. I want to make the coach and my teammates confident in me and I want to help the team win. I think that’s the main goal for every player.”

According to R.C. Buford, Ginobili is well on his way. “I think his time is now, and I am very thankful that he was ready to come play in the NBA. I believe this is a great opportunity for him. He fits our team, our organization and our city.”

boutons
06-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Manu's story in the NBA is very special, uncommon story.
Couldn't happen to a "nicer" guy.
We are goddam fucking lucky to have him.

To be repetitive, it's a wonderful epoch for the Spurs and Spurs fans, and for real basketball fans anywhere.

Let's do again next year ... and next year ... and next year ... and next year ....

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-10-2005, 04:49 PM
”He counts Tom Hanks, Al Pacino, Bruce Willis and Robert DeNiro among his favorite performers

There you go Pistons Fans, blame those four on Manu flopping.

timvp
06-10-2005, 06:28 PM
I read 2 weeks ago that Mike D'antoni was briefly a scout for the Spurs in 98 or 99 and it was he that first brought Manu to the Spurs attention...there was some article on it when we played the Suns...If that's true than D'antoni knew who he was and what he could potentially become.

Not true. What you read was D'Antoni saying Manu was good in Europe when he was playing against his teams. That was a couple years after he was drafted.

timvp
06-10-2005, 06:29 PM
I don't know about stats but he was pretty much doing the same thing overseas and for the Argentinian team no? I guess a lot of people figured he could never translate his game over to the NBA. I am pleasantly surprised.

He was drafted before he played in Europe, IIRC. He also wasn't anything too special on the Argentina national team. In fact, a couple months after he got drafted, he went 1-11 against the US.

whottt
06-10-2005, 06:39 PM
Not true. What you read was D'Antoni saying Manu was good in Europe when he was playing against his teams. That was a couple years after he was drafted.

No seriously...the article I read said D'antoni was a scout for the Spurs briefly the year we drafted Manu and it was he that noticed him...maybe I am getting D'antoni confused with someone with a similar name or something...but it should be pretty easy to find out...was D'antoni ever a scout for the Spurs in the late 90's?

I was suprised when I read it too...but I think the article was posted here in this forum...during the Suns series.

I am gonna google it.

Kori Ellis
06-10-2005, 06:42 PM
D'Antoni was a scout for the Spurs the season AFTER they drafted Ginobili.

Forward thinking: D'Antoni helped scout for the Spurs during the 1999-2000 season.

The Spurs had just drafted Ginobili and Gordan Giricek in the second round and were debating who they would eventually bring over.

D'Antoni knew the Italian League, where Ginobili was playing.

"Ginobili was the guy," D'Antoni said. "Giricek is a good player and everyone likes him, but Ginobili is special."

whottt
06-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Ok got it...so he was a scout for the Spurs and he did scout Manu in the late 90's...only it was to decide between Manu and Giricek...I knew I read he was a scout for us in the late 90's and it surprised me.

I was also surprised to find out D'antoni actually played for the Spurs during his playing career(briefly, like 2 games).

But yeah I guess he's still RC's baby...but I'll give Mike a little less hate in the future for his small role in Giricek VS Manu.

Dre_7
06-10-2005, 06:57 PM
In fact, a couple months after he got drafted, he went 1-11 against the US.

Didnt he have a sprained ankle or something though??

T Park
06-10-2005, 06:58 PM
so he was a scout for the Spurs and he did scout Manu in the late 90's

He was a scout in 99 00

thats AFTER.

timvp
06-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I thought Mike D'Antoni being a scout for the Spurs was common knowledge. They talked about it in pretty much every Spurs vs. Suns article.

so he was a scout for the Spurs and he did scout Manu in the late 90's

Still wrong. He was a scout for the Spurs in 1999-2000. He later went on to coach in Eurpoe, where he saw Ginobili and Giricek play. That quote is in regards to that, not in regards to the debate on who the Spurs should bring over.

The one year he was a scout for the Spurs was after Manu was drafted and before Manu was a big name in Europe. Also, it was way before the Spurs even had to start thinking about the Giricek vs. Ginobili issue.

timvp
06-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Didnt he have a sprained ankle or something though??

No, this was in 1999. I watched the game and Manu didn't look too special. His jumper looked funky and he couldn't finish against the NBA players.

It's AMAZING how he gets better and better each year.

1Parker1
06-10-2005, 07:07 PM
I still can't believe Manu was the 57th pick in the NBA. How many times has the NBA had an ALL-STAR that was originally picked in the second round? Spurs are very luck and very smart, it's amazing how other teams haven't caught on and tried to copy.

spurschick
06-10-2005, 07:15 PM
I still can't believe Manu was the 57th pick in the NBA. How many times has the NBA had an ALL-STAR that was originally picked in the second round? Spurs are very luck and very smart, it's amazing how other teams haven't caught on and tried to copy.

I'm sure they're trying to figure out a way to bug RC's office.

picnroll
06-10-2005, 07:19 PM
One thing I remember was in his first NBA season Manu was using that behind the back, in the lane change of direction dribble and getting stripped alot. He's obviously learned when and how to use it better.

whottt
06-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I thought Mike D'Antoni being a scout for the Spurs was common knowledge. They talked about it in pretty much every Spurs vs. Suns article.

That was the only article I noticed in...The coaching was mentioned often...

Still wrong. He was a scout for the Spurs in 1999-2000.

late nineties

[/hairsplit]

The one year he was a scout for the Spurs was after Manu was drafted and before Manu was a big name in Europe. Also, it was way before the Spurs even had to start thinking about the Giricek vs. Ginobili issue.

D'Antoni helped scout for the Spurs during the 1999-2000 season.

The Spurs had just drafted Ginobili and Gordan Giricek in the second round and were debating who they would eventually bring over.

[/hairsplit2]

Hey I already admitted I was wrooooo about the discovery thing...there are no bonus wrongs in there...

whottt
06-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Come to think of it...I didn't claim for certain that I knew it was true...

Observe the initial comment...

...If that's true

Therefore I don't think this should be counted as total wrong...it's a weak one at best and only someone desperate to best me would claim otherwise...

Looks like you'll just have to keep trying old boy.

timvp
06-10-2005, 07:33 PM
:lol

I wasn't trying to prove that you weren't right. I was just correcting it for people who were interested.

Whottt can't admit to ever being wrong for some reason. If he could, he'd be one of the better posters in Internet history. But because of this flaw, he's prone to disappearing after being found wrong.

Solid D
06-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Hey I already admitted I was wrooooo about the discovery thing...there are no bonus wrongs in there...

Bwhahahaha! :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

'made me guffaw.