InRareForm
06-13-2011, 12:13 AM
C-

Venti Quattro
06-13-2011, 12:13 AM
C

davethedope
06-13-2011, 12:14 AM
C is too harsh. He got 'em to the finals and managed massive egos and bullshit. B+

ElNono
B

I think he overachieved by getting to the Finals... I thought his ineptitude would destroy that team before they got there.

Giuseppe
Though it must be difficult to play Charlie McCarthy to Riley's Edgar Bergen.

Riley must stand the gaffe for this collosal defeat shoulder-to-shoulder with Spo, Wade & James.

NewJerSpur
06-13-2011, 12:15 AM
-Incomplete

He got sucked into the hype and relied on LeBron to heavily, needed a backup....now if the backup failed it'd be a different story.

davethedope
06-13-2011, 12:17 AM
It's not his fault LeBron failed. He's supposed to rely on him and put the ball in
his hands. LeBron just passed it.

dirk4mvp
06-13-2011, 12:17 AM
F; there is nothing else. You ring or you don't. Ask a winner, like Giuseppe.

lefty
06-13-2011, 12:18 AM
Still a young coach

People forget how he got the most of the pre-Heatles squad

And all of sudden, he has to coach Wade, Lebron and Bosh

Not an easy task for a young coach

And give him credit for handling all the pressure when the medias and Heat fans were calling for his head.

He will improve, and so will his team.

Killakobe81
06-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Still a young coach

People forget how he got the most of the pre-Heatles squad

And all of sudden, he has to coach Wade, Lebron and Bosh

Not an easy task for a young coach

And give him credit for handling all the pressure when the medias and Heat fans were calling for his head.

He will improve, and so will his team.

Fair points ...plsu heat win he would of gotten ZERO credit so why should he deserve a lion's share of the blame? I would blame Lebron for performing under par mostly and wade choked a bit the past 2 games ...

EIC
06-13-2011, 12:21 AM
C-

It completely felt like the Heat were playing without a coach in this series. How do you choke away big leads in the fourth quarter like that? It starts with leadership. Lebron and Wade are fairly immature and young. The team doesn't have any real veteran leadership (e.g., a Jason Kidd). That problem is compounded by the fact that Spo has zero ability to command respect.

Heat must replace him to get to the next level, IMO.

baseline bum
06-13-2011, 12:22 AM
D+ -- Ainge's idiotic trade won them the east. A better coach would have found a way for Wade's clutch abilities to rub off on LeBron instead of letting James' stench of choke infect and take over Wade's game.

ElNono
06-13-2011, 12:23 AM
Odds Riley or Jeff Van Gundy take over next season (whenever that might be)?

NewJerSpur
06-13-2011, 12:23 AM
D+ -- Ainge's idiotic trade won them the east. A better coach would have found a way for Wade's clutch abilities to rub off on LeBron instead of letting James' stench of choke infect and take over Wade's game.

Baseline Bum doing work!!

davethedope
06-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Van Gundy? Gimme a break. If Riles doesn't take this team, just for his own selfish
reasons, they're not winning shit, unless somehow PJ shows up.
And he'd probably never hire PJ

baseline bum
06-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Still, not that that's any excuse for LeBron's ridiculous disappearing act. Not to deny credit to the Mavericks, as they certainly deserve all the credit in the world for their defensive effort, but a Hall of Famer in his prime should NEVER get shut down like that every game.

pass1st
D

Wasn't a player's coach, didn't motivate any of the players and was disrespected by his players.

Wasn't a good defensive or offensive coach, just 2 superstars and a good PF doing what they know how to do.

He gets credit for not doing something blatantly stupid like Pop.

lefty
Riley is not going back to coaching

davethedope
06-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Then he's just being lazy

DirkDoesWork
06-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Paul Westhead

Killakobe81
Still, not that that's any excuse for LeBron's ridiculous disappearing act. Not to deny credit to the Mavericks, as they certainly deserve all the credit in the world for their defensive effort, but a Hall of Famer in his prime should NEVER get shut down like that every game.

amen Bum, amen.

baseline bum
I think they sign Adelman. Surely he'll be able to run a real offense with the level of talent they have.

ElNono
06-13-2011, 12:29 AM
I mentioned Van Gundy because he was still slobbering all over the Heat even after they were done.

baseline bum
06-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Oh man, Van Gundy would be a nightmare with that team. The creativity on offense would drop by a factor of about 3.

baseline bum
06-13-2011, 12:30 AM
The only way they could do worse than JVG would be to sign Fratello.

NewJerSpur
06-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Riley is not going back to coaching

I don't think so either and the Heat are no slam dunk to win anything moving forward (i.e. It's not a given even the most credible coach will simply tip the scale). As I've been saying for some time, Wade can get what he wants no matter what a defense throws at him, LeBron can be stopped with a solid double team and good officiating which limits what they can do in the halfcourt. They NEED transition buckets off the TO's to ignite the offense.

EIC
06-13-2011, 12:32 AM
I think they sign Adelman. Surely he'll be able to run a real offense with the level of talent they have.

I second this. Said the same thing to my buddy the other day.

davethedope
06-13-2011, 12:33 AM
I mentioned Van Gundy because he was still slobbering all over the Heat even after they were done.

He and Mark Jackson did seem peculiarly butthurt at the end.

baseline bum
06-13-2011, 12:38 AM
I don't think so either and the Heat are no slam dunk to win anything moving forward (i.e. It's not a given even the most credible coach will simply tip the scale). As I've been saying for some time, Wade can get what he wants no matter what a defense throws at him, LeBron can be stopped with a solid double team and good officiating which limits what they can do in the halfcourt. They NEED transition buckets off the TO's to ignite the offense.

I think it's a sure a thing as there is that they ring a couple of times in the next 4-5 seasons. No way they don't win titles with that level of talent, even if they keep Spoelstra. You could tell they thought it would be easy with that ridiculous press conference promising 7+ titles, but now they know it never is. I think you see a pissed off and focused Heat team next season that lives up to its talent; especially if they land a better coach and a serviceable center. I have to think LeBron is embarrassed as hell, and that he'll try to have a jumpshot for whenever we see NBA basketball again also.

davethedope
06-13-2011, 12:42 AM
I couldn't disagree more. This Heat team probably won't ring, let alone, a couple times
in the next few years. They need more help, and even then, I don't see it.

NewJerSpur
06-13-2011, 12:44 AM
I think it's a sure a thing as there is that they ring a couple of times in the next 4-5 seasons. No way they don't win titles with that level of talent, even if they keep Spoelstra. You could tell they thought it would be easy with that ridiculous press conference promising 7+ titles, but now they know it never is. I think you see a pissed off and focused Heat team next season that lives up to its talent; especially if they land a better coach and a serviceable center. I have to think LeBron is embarrassed as hell, and that he'll try to have a jumpshot for whenever we see NBA basketball again also.

He had a perfect opportunity to ring this year which flew out the window in large part due to his play in the 4th quarter of Game 2. He put pressure on himself after Game 4 and still came up short in the 4th quarter of Game 5. Other teams will improve around the Heat and they will throw more doubles at him in the halfcourt and either force him to pass or try to fight through the doubles and force up contested shots in hopes of drawing a foul.

They had a relatively easy path to the title but dropped the ball and I don't expect with another year it's goingto get easier. LeBron should still get his numbers overall, that's just how it works and what he's been doing with the way he's been officiated, but I'll believe it when I see it in terms of a ring especially after getting owned by JET and the Matrix of all people.

ElNono
06-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Does the East have the two teams with the most over-the-top talent and the worst coaches? (Spo in Miami, D'Antoni in NY)

JoeTait75
06-13-2011, 12:49 AM
I think it's a sure a thing as there is that they ring a couple of times in the next 4-5 seasons.

Never a sure thing. Might be injuries, might be chemistry issues, some other team might just be plain better.

You never know how long the window will stay open in sports.

mavsfan1000
06-13-2011, 12:51 AM
Starting Chalmers should've been done once Barea got the start.

NewJerSpur
06-13-2011, 12:54 AM
Starting Chalmers should've been done once Barea got the start.

Chalmers showed more heart than LeBron, but JJ was not to be denied.....especially once he and Dirk got the PnR going. Miami forgot how to defend it and looked like every other team that fell prey to the Mavs.

baseline bum
06-13-2011, 01:05 AM
Never a sure thing. Might be injuries, might be chemistry issues, some other team might just be plain better.

You never know how long the window will stay open in sports.

Of course injuries could derail them, but 2 first-ballot HOFers in their prime is as sure as it gets. I think it would take something extraordinary happening for that core to never win a title.

baseline bum
06-13-2011, 01:08 AM
He had a perfect opportunity to ring this year which flew out the window in large part due to his play in the 4th quarter of Game 2. He put pressure on himself after Game 4 and still came up short in the 4th quarter of Game 5. Other teams will improve around the Heat and they will throw more doubles at him in the halfcourt and either force him to pass or try to fight through the doubles and force up contested shots in hopes of drawing a foul.

They had a relatively easy path to the title but dropped the ball and I don't expect with another year it's goingto get easier. LeBron should still get his numbers overall, that's just how it works and what he's been doing with the way he's been officiated, but I'll believe it when I see it in terms of a ring especially after getting owned by JET and the Matrix of all people.

That was in no way an easy path, considering Dallas was at the end of it. The Mavericks murdered the two-time defending champions and toyed with a very good Oklahoma City team. It's not like they got hot and just stole a series. As crazy as it seems on paper, this 2011 Mavericks team is one of the most impressive champions I have seen in a while.

Killakobe81
06-13-2011, 01:12 AM
That was in no way an easy path, considering Dallas was at the end of it. The Mavericks murdered the two-time defending champions and toyed with a very good Oklahoma City team. It's not like they got hot and just stole a series. As crazy as it seems on paper, this 2011 Mavericks team is one of the most impressive champions I have seen in a while.

Offensively I agree whol heartedly defensively theye were good but when Miami moved the ball especially against man2 man they got what they wanted ...

Best passing team since 80's Celts or Lakers plus they won minus: Caron, roddy B ...and haywood most of this series. Haywood takes Ian's mins. Caron takes Peja and Marion gets more rest ... Roddy B spells Kidd they could be even better next year but as Tait says you never know ...

NewJerSpur
06-13-2011, 01:14 AM

Mavs had a great run, no doubt, but the east was Miami's for the taking with:

1) A young, inexperienced team in Philly under a new coach
2) An injured Boston Celtic's team with chemistry issues
3) A Chicago Bulls team with no balance on offense and Carlos Boozer as a
2nd option

They had a 15-point lead midway through the 4th against Dallas in Game 2 and pulled an OKC in that they stopped running offense (and consistently putting the balls in Wade's hands) when the Mavs were still reeling and started started chucking. I give the Mavs props for stemming the tide, but Heat blew the lead and gave Dallas confidence going home where they'd only lost once in this year's playoffs, not to mention injuries and bad play shorted Carlisle's roatation. I just don't think overall you're going to get an easier path to the trophy, especially with a Hard Cap being a real possibility under the new CBA.

baseline bum
06-13-2011, 01:26 AM
Mavs had a great run, no doubt, but the east was Miami's for the taking with:

1) A young, inexperienced team in Philly under a new coach
2) An injured Boston Celtic's team with chemistry issues
3) A Chicago Bulls team with no balance on offense and Carlos Boozer as a
2nd option

They had a 15-point lead midway through the 4th against Dallas in Game 2 and pulled an OKC in that they stopped running offense (and consistently putting the balls in Wade's hands) when the Mavs were still reeling and started started chucking. I give the Mavs props for stemming the tide, but Heat blew the lead and gave Dallas confidence going home where they'd only lost once in this year's playoffs, not to mention injuries and bad play shorted Carlisle's roatation. I just don't think overall you're going to get an easier path to the trophy, especially with a Hard Cap being a real possibility under the new CBA.

Nah, an easy path to the Finals would be the ones the Nets took in the early 2000s or the ones the Lakers took in the 80s. Chicago was a flawed team for sure, but they won 62 games and were incredible closers until that series. I think people are overreacting with Miami. James reminds me a lot of a young Shaq; immature player with ridiculous physical talent who relies too much on size and athleticism and has therefore paid for it against really good teams. If he can develop his jumpshot the way Shaq improved his footwork and hook shot I think he can have that same level of success. I believe James when he says he's really committed to winning, and there can be no illusions this time around: he knows he has to diversify his game. He can't blame Mo Williams or Danny Ferry now.

NewJerSpur
06-13-2011, 01:37 AM
Nah, an easy path to the Finals would be the ones the Nets took in the early 2000s or the ones the Lakers took in the 80s. Chicago was a flawed team for sure, but they won 62 games and were incredible closers until that series. I think people are overreacting with Miami. James reminds me a lot of a young Shaq; immature player with ridiculous physical talent who relies too much on size and athleticism and has therefore paid for it against really good teams. If he can develop his jumpshot the way Shaq improved his footwork and hook shot I think he can have that same level of success. I believe James when he says he's really committed to winning, and there can be no illusions this time around: he knows he has to diversify his game. He can't blame Mo Williams or Danny Ferry now.

I've learned more and more to never believe anything James says, even when it comes to himself :lol. Once the Bulls met a team that played comparable defense to themselves, it came down to the play on the other end, in which case Chicago didn't have enough bullets in the chamber imo....that should change in the offseason and though I will admit the East back in 2000 was much weaker the level of competition could strengthen moving forward in the conference. The Knicks played Miami tough post-the Melo trade with little chemistry.

Shaq was always going to be taking relatively high percentage shots and always going to be tough to offciate because of his size and the nature of his position. As you mentioned, LeBron has to develop a consitent midrange game on the largest of stages which is going to be challenging because of his reliance so much on his physicality. Couple that with him realizing this is still Wade's team, meaning he has to learn what his role is (which may never be clearly defined) and the Heat have some challenges ahead of them imo.