PDA

View Full Version : Mavs fans - what do you think of the SPURS now?

jsandiego
06-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Congrats :lobt2:

Winning a title is HARD. Glad Dirk, Kidd, and Co. made it to the top. If it wasn't our SPURS, this is the next best option b/c it took you years of hard work and perseverance to get there.

I know what I saw with my own eyes these 2011 Playoffs. When BSPN and the media will talk about the Heat choking, I'll remember the Mavs winning on the road, uncanny behind the 3pt line, Marion & Kidd turning back the time and playing unbelievable defense, dominating a back-to-back Laker team, Dirk dominating the playoffs, and the Mavs being a stone-cold-lock in the 4th Quarter.

Now that you've joined the club, do you think the attitude of your fan base changes with respect to the SPURS, knowing the road to the title is a difficult journey? Or is the hate still there? Or maybe the hate left after Bowen did LOL. Curious what you MFFLers think.

windboy226
06-13-2011, 11:53 AM

Winning a title is HARD. Glad Dirk, Kidd, and Co. made it to the top. If it wasn't our SPURS, this is the next best option b/c it took you years of hard work and perseverance to get there.

I know what I saw with my own eyes these 2011 Playoffs. When BSPN and the media will talk about the Heat choking, I'll remember the Mavs winning on the road, uncanny behind the 3pt line, Marion & Kidd turning back the time and playing unbelievable defense, dominating a back-to-back Laker team, Dirk dominating the playoffs, and the Mavs being a stone-cold-lock in the 4th Quarter.

Now that you've joined the club, do you think the attitude of your fan base changes with respect to the SPURS, knowing the road to the title is a difficult journey? Or is the hate still there? Or maybe the hate left after Bowen did LOL. Curious what you MFFLers think.

Honestly? I've never hated the Spurs. Loved the playoff rivalry though. Miami was the first team in the NBA I've ever really disliked because of 2006 and the Lebron hoopla before the season started. I guess I'm one of those Mavs fans that like the other Texas teams. A lot of it has to do with the culture of the organizations. The superstars on all the Texas teams seem to be genuinely good people( Duncan, Dirk, and even Yao Ming when he's healthy).

So happy Dirk got his championship..that's pretty much all that matters for me. I'll never be as attached to another player like him. He's our Tim(minus 3 rings of course:king).

Findog
06-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Always respected the Spurs

fitzgerald
06-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Have that much more respect for the Spurs. Winning one is a great feeling. Winning 4 is unimaginable. Spurs did it with class. Kudos to the franchise.

Horse
06-13-2011, 12:19 PM
You guys seem alright, so I don't wanna be insulting. But my true feeling is that only a lebron led team could choke this series away to dallas, losing a series, that seemed like a lock just a week ago.

jsandiego
06-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Honestly? I've never hated the Spurs. Loved the playoff rivalry though. Miami was the first team in the NBA I've ever really disliked because of 2006 and the Lebron hoopla before the season started. I guess I'm one of those Mavs fans that like the other Texas teams. A lot of it has to do with the culture of the organizations. The superstars on all the Texas teams seem to be genuinely good people (Duncan, Dirk, and even Yao Ming when he's healthy).

So happy Dirk got his championship..that's pretty much all that matters for me. I'll never be as attached to another player like him. He's our Tim(minus 3 rings of course:king).
Cool, thanks for the perspective. I live in DFW, and it seems like the views are split -- those that respect the Spurs & love the playoff rivalry, as opposed to the other half that hates the Spurs and tries to discredit any of their success. Or maybe I've been reading too many troll threads :rollin

:flag::lobt2:
(congrats mavs) :lobt2:

adrienne
06-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Never hated the Spurs. The Spurs were always the big brother who knocked you around a little, who you weren't quite living up to. That is what made Mavs fans so glad when we could beat San Antonio. Any antagonism came from a place of fear, unadmitted admiration, and yeah, a little jealousy. I, for one, was always on the Spurs bandwagon those years Dallas was out early. Keep it in Texas.

I can't believe after so much heartache, we got it.:lobt2:

davidbowie
06-13-2011, 01:29 PM
love the good vibes in here yall. REPPIN TEXAS.

congrats mavs

rmt
06-13-2011, 01:38 PM
You guys seem alright, so I don't wanna be insulting. But my true feeling is that only a lebron led team could choke this series away to dallas, losing a series, that seemed like a lock just a week ago.

My feeling is that the Mavs won the series, not that the Heat choked it away. Really enjoyed all the 4th quarter come backs. Mavs had team chemistry, perseverance and Dirk was magnificent in the clutch.

InTheCrust
06-13-2011, 02:28 PM
wow.... mavs-spurs mutual respect.... just like that.

:lmao... congrats mavfan. rest assured, we will always be competitively gunning for that ass... :lol

dav4463
06-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I still hate all of you mavs fans!:lol

cheney212
06-13-2011, 02:53 PM
since when do the mavs and spurs fans respect each other!? i guess a title can do that

GSH
06-13-2011, 02:53 PM
My feeling is that the Mavs won the series, not that the Heat choked it away. Really enjoyed all the 4th quarter come backs. Mavs had team chemistry, perseverance and Dirk was magnificent in the clutch.

The Mavs kicked ass - give credit where it's due. Their guys stepped up when they needed to, they won on the road, they overcame a bad loss, and they played all 48 minutes of every game. I understand rivalries and all that, but if you love the game you have to appreciate that they played great ball through a nasty road to the Championship.

Mavs fans, your team earned this one.:toast Come next season, screw all of you. I'm sure you wouldn't have it any other way.

peacemaker885
06-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Congratulations to all of the Mav's fans! :toast

Here's to Dirk and Jason Kidd..alright Jason Terry too. Special mention to JJ. Man you guys deserve this. Cheers.

I. Hustle
06-13-2011, 03:22 PM
As much as I hate Terry how badass is it to get the LO tatt BEFORE the season started? Congrats to the Wavs for playing team ball and getting shit done.

dbestpro
06-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Okay, okay give the Mavs a little noogie to the head, but you know come next year you still are gonna have to get ready for that ass whoopin.

WildcardManu
06-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Glad Dirk and Jkidd got theirs. Glad Lebron failed once more.

arles
06-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Well done, Mavs

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Any Mavericks fan with half a shred of sense after last night has to appreciate how incredible and arduous it has been for the Spurs franchise to win not one, but 4 titles.

Of course, Mavs fans probably appreciated that fact already once the 2006 Finals ended.

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-13-2011, 06:34 PM
I'd still give the Spurs a slight edge in any DAL-SAS matchup.

kskonn
06-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Lebron is never going to step foot in Texas without having Nightmares. He has been unclutch and owned by Texas teams in both his final appearances. I bet for therapy his doc is going to make him drive up and down Ih-35 between Dallas and San Antonio. It will be the only to get over his fear of driving the lane while in Texas.

Sean Cagney
06-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Lebron is never going to step foot in Texas without having Nightmares. He has been unclutch and owned by Texas teams in both his final appearances. I bet for therapy his doc is going to make him drive up and down Ih-35 between Dallas and San Antonio. It will be the only to get over his fear of driving the lane while in Texas.

:lol:lol:lol

DirkDoesWork
06-14-2011, 01:37 AM
Honestly? I've never hated the Spurs. Loved the playoff rivalry though. Miami was the first team in the NBA I've ever really disliked because of 2006 and the Lebron hoopla before the season started. I guess I'm one of those Mavs fans that like the other Texas teams. A lot of it has to do with the culture of the organizations. The superstars on all the Texas teams seem to be genuinely good people( Duncan, Dirk, and even Yao Ming when he's healthy).

You're not alone. I wouldn't say I "like" the Spurs, but I do respect what they've done an the classy way they've run their organization. There's no way I root for LeBrick, Wheel Chair Wade and the Miami cHeat over the Spurs.

Cessation
06-14-2011, 01:50 AM
Quality thread, tbh. I still hate the mavs, maybe slightly less than I did before, but only because I love the competitiveness of a heated rivalry.

baseline bum
06-14-2011, 02:14 AM

Too bad Houston is such dogshit; that would be hilarious to see James trashed by the Texas Triangle. Maybe they can get Hakeem out of retirement or something.

Cessation
06-14-2011, 02:25 AM
Too bad Houston is such dogshit; that would be hilarious to see James trashed by the Texas Triangle. Maybe they can get Hakeem out of retirement or something.

Great idea bro, that would put him in the torture chamber, as sean would say.

DirkDoesWork
06-14-2011, 02:30 AM
I'd like to third that. LeBron being trifecta'd by the state of Texas would be hilarious.

outmap
06-14-2011, 03:12 AM
I never looked at it as hatred in the first place, more like intense competitive rivalry between cousins. Same goes with PHO.
What/Who I hate though are Garnett(BOS), James(MIA), and Bryant(LAL).

sribb43
06-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Hated them bc they were so damn good but as a fan of BBall I respect the hell out of them. Beating them in 2006 felt like a championship in itself.

Spursfan092120
06-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Much love Mavs fans..much respect. To see that emotion in Dirk's eyes and on his face after they won that game, just reminded me of the look on David's face in '99, and it gave me even more respect than I already had for him. Dirk is one of the top 3 players in the game right now, and nobody deserved a ring more than him. So here's to ya, Mavs...great job. Enjoy the parade, and the offseason. Next season? Come in and get ready to play.

Findog
06-14-2011, 05:07 PM
I see Spurs-Mavs as akin to Longhorns-Aggies. Root like hell against them head to head, but when they are representing our state, you root for them. Miami or the Lakers would be like OU in this analogy. In the nineties when the Spurs were playing into May and the Mavs were done, I'd root for the Spurs.

I would never root for Miami or LA over San Antonio. It's more of a sibling rivalry at this point than true loathing. And yes, 4 >1 means the Spurs are still the big brother.

Axe Murderer
06-14-2011, 05:08 PM
spurs still=class

InTheCrust
06-14-2011, 05:27 PM
I see Spurs-Mavs as akin to Longhorns-Aggies. Root like hell against them head to head, but when they are representing our state, you root for them. Miami or the Lakers would be like OU in this analogy. In the nineties when the Spurs were playing into May and the Mavs were done, I'd root for the Spurs.

I would never root for Miami or LA over San Antonio. It's more of a sibling rivalry at this point than true loathing. And yes, 4 >1 means the Spurs are still the big brother.

but yet again, it's now 4>1. You deserve to talk inordinant amounts of digestive bile and shit. And perhaps marinate in it for 15 month... :lol

Spursfan092120
06-14-2011, 06:04 PM
spurs still=class

Love that pic in the sig..is that the $90,000 bottle?

bubsdaddy
06-14-2011, 06:21 PM
I also never hated the Spurs. The only time i rooted against the Spurs was after the Horry cheap shot that tarnished a very good series. I was so disappointed as Horry was such a respected player. Even then, after the Phoenix series was over I liked the Spurs in the finals.

Spursfan092120
06-14-2011, 06:29 PM
The only time i rooted against the Spurs was after the Horry cheap shot that tarnished a very good series. I was so disappointed as Horry was such a respected player.

You do know that Nash admitted to flopping on that one, right?

mariners
06-14-2011, 06:33 PM
only player on SA core I really don't have respect for is Ginobli

bubsdaddy
06-14-2011, 06:38 PM

No. Link?

bubsdaddy
06-14-2011, 06:38 PM

No. Link?

endrity
06-14-2011, 07:49 PM
This is what I wrote in the other thread:

Thanks to all of you. It shows that you (well most) truly have the class you often talk about having.

I am not from Texas so I don't feel the intra-Texas rivarly at all. I always feared the Spurs but never really hated them or anything like that. That spot is mostly reserved for the Lakers (due to their fans more than the players) and since 06 for the Heat (I can't stand the entire organization/city/fans).

------------------

So yeah, there it is. The Spurs are very much the gold standard the Mavs tried to emulate for all these years. I don't root for you guys, but I have never ever felt bad or anything like that when you won one of your rings. Maybe a bit in 07, but only because I felt like Mavs-Spurs should have been the true final that year.

EasyD
06-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Duncan is the most likeable superstar next to Dirk, humble and pure class.

mariners
06-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Duncan is the most likeable superstar next to Dirk, humble and pure class.
durant is up there too

Spursfan092120
06-14-2011, 10:43 PM
No. Link?

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2010/6/25/1537688/steve-nash-finally-admits-to

balldontlie
06-15-2011, 03:34 AM
i've always had respect for the spurs, and was happy as hell when they got their first, happy that a Texas team got it back. now all 3 franchises have won a ring. lets keep the trophy in texas.

spursfan09
06-15-2011, 12:58 PM
To be honest wear and tear has caught up with the Spurs and Lakers. I think Mavs deserve the ring but they definitly took advantage of thier opporunity.
Hopefully Spurs will bounce back, Lakers will bounce back thanks to Stern. :)

jsandiego
06-15-2011, 01:17 PM
only player on SA core I really don't have respect for is Ginobli
Ginobili is the greatest winner in basketball history this side of Bill Russell and perhaps Magic Johnson, who won at every level that he played. The level of respect he deserves is insanely higher than the praise he gets.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/pro-basketball/320439-simmons-nba-players-winning-percentage.html

Also, I gotta admit -- it makes it a lot easier to root for the Mavs b/c they didn't beat the Spurs on their way to the title. 2006 was an entirely different story. JET nut-punching, horrible officiating early in the series, Duncan hobbled by injury. But 4 LOBs make it easier to let bygones be bygones.
:lobt::lobt2::lobt2::lobt:

41times
06-15-2011, 01:21 PM

Dude I like the Spurs and have always respected them. I always rotted for them when Dallas got knocked out.

and you are right man. It is Freaking HARD to win a title. It seemed as if the whole ABC crew and analysist were against the Mavs. The all loves them some C-HEAT!

I have waited 31 years for sunday night. I watched the game from the AAC with my wife and we both cried like babies during the last 60 seconds. Best sports day in my life.

jsandiego
06-15-2011, 01:33 PM
To be honest wear and tear has caught up with the Spurs and Lakers. I think Mavs deserve the ring but they definitly took advantage of thier opporunity.
Hopefully Spurs will bounce back, Lakers will bounce back thanks to Stern. :)

That's what the continuum of the NBA is all about though.

Jordan took advantage of Isaiah, Bird, and Magic getting old.
Lakers took advantage of Isaiah getting injured in Game 6 of 1988 Finals to win in Game 7. That's how close we were to the Pistons winning 3 in a row. My how history would've been written different if that happened.
Wasn't Byron Scott injured in their 1989 loss to the Pistons?
Spurs & Lakers easily beat weak Eastern Conference teams in the early 2000s.
Hakeem won 2 titles when Jordan was playing baseball.
Spurs beat a young LeBron in 2007, and an injured Knicks team in 1999.

Injuries happen; and at some point, one superstar's prime declines while another's starts to peak. All you can do is take advantage of the circumstances.