PDA

View Full Version : Who in the hell is the old guy...

SpursChampsIII
06-10-2005, 11:28 PM
...with the hat, long gray hair, and weird outfit who sits in one of the floor seats across from the player benches? I've seen him for several playoff game...have also seen him at other sites at games not involving the Spurs. If that wasn't enough, the damn blue hair was in the media room after the games while the players were being interviewed, again on the first row of seats!

MaNuMaNiAc
06-10-2005, 11:31 PM
He's a ghost!:devil

Solid D
06-10-2005, 11:39 PM
Jimmy Goldstein

http://www.nba.com/media/allaccess/goldstein_120x160_040613.jpg

http://www.jamesfgoldstein.com/basketball_startribune.html

Flair follows this fan
(May 6, 2004)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goldstein a regular at NBA games around the U.S.

By Patrick Reusse / Star Tribune
Sam Cassell was getting into civilian clothes in the visitors' locker room at Pepsi Center in Denver. Forty minutes earlier, the Timberwolves had escaped with an 84-82 victory over Denver in the pivotal fourth game of the first round playoff series.
A gentleman was sitting on a chair next to Cassell. He wore a summer-weight Stetson hat, snakeskin boots, a bolero jacket and pants (both suede), a ventilated T-shirt of rich material -- and all topped off with a scarf.
What do you call this fashion style? Maybe Gucci cowboy.
The man with the long gray hair flowing from under the Stetson was Jimmy Goldstein, a front-row occupant at both Lakers' and Clippers' games in Los Angeles.
He has become a buddy to nearly every player, coach or broadcaster who has come through the NBA for more than a few minutes over the past 30-plus years.
Goldstein was late in a 10-game, 11-day journey across the NBA playoff map when he stopped to see the Wolves and the Nuggets last week.
"I came in from Memphis after seeing my old friend Hubie get the coach of the year award," Goldstein said. "Sam and I go back to those championship seasons [1994 and 1995] in Houston.
"Michael Olowokandi is a very good friend. I know him from the Clippers, of course, and we also have happened to run into each other in the South of France the past couple of summers."
[B]Goldstein moved to Los Angeles in 1962 to attend college. He soon discovered the value of investing in real estate in Southern California. He has been described in various articles as a billionaire.
Goldstein only smirks when asked about his wealth. "Just say that I was able to make some good investments," he said.
The most famous investment is his spectacular home in Beverly Hills. It overlooks Benedectine Canyon and the Los Angeles skyline. It was created by John Lautner, a Frank Lloyd Wright disciple, in 1963. Goldstein bought it in 1989.
His business card reads "architecture, basketball and fashion." His home has been used in several films, music videos and fashion shoots.
"The Big Lebowski was filmed in my home," Goldstein said, referring to the party scene in which the main character (Jeff Bridges) visits Jackie Treehorn (Ben Gazzara) and winds up in a bad way.
People who have observed Goldstein in his prime seats at NBA games might think they are seeing the same clothes over and over. He was mildly offended when a reporter made such a suggestion.
"These are the very latest in fashion . . . cutting edge," Goldstein said. "I make two or three trips a year to Paris and Milano to update my wardrobe."
Jerry Sichting, a Wolves' assistant, was in a group of players visiting Goldstein's house a few years back.
"He has this amazing glass house," Sichting said. "You walk in what looks like an ordinary closet and it's a big area, with one of those pulley system like at a laundry. He has hundreds of jackets, slacks -- the wardrobe that he wears -- and endless pairs of boots."
Goldstein started sitting at courtside for Lakers' games in the mid-'60s, when the price for such a ticket at the L.A. Sports Arena was $15.
"The prices in the front row for the Lakers' playoff games are now $2,200 in the first round, $2,400 in the second, $2,600 for the third and $2,800 if they reach the finals," Goldstein said.
What distinguishes Goldstein from Jack Nicholson and the other front-row occupants at Staples Center is that Jimmy wants to see the Lakers lose, no matter the opponent.
"Mostly, I go to NBA games to see good basketball," Goldstein said. "With the Lakers, I'm there hoping that they lose. It really bothers Shaq [O'Neal] . . . to have me there in the front row, rooting against the Lakers.
"Why does anyone root for certain teams and against others? There was something about the Lakers that I didn't like years ago, and it has stayed with me, even through the championship seasons."The Rockets of the mid-'90s embraced Goldstein as a valuable fan. He traveled with the team at playoff time for a few years, including during those back-to-back championships.
Goldstein still relishes a moment in 1996, when the Lakers and the Rockets were playing a first-round series.
"The Lakers were coming out to Houston's practice facility for a workout," Goldstein said. "They walked in and I was the only person there -- all alone on the floor, shooting baskets.
"The Lakers couldn't believe it: 'He's in the front row at our games, rooting against us, and now this?' "
Goldstein probably will make an appearance at the Kings-Timberwolves series when it moves to Sacramento next week. It probably would have to go to Game 7 for him to make it to Minneapolis.
For now, Jimmy can only offer these encouraging -- if improbable sounding words -- in support of Olowokandi, his fellow traveler in the summer.
"Three years ago, Michael was playing so well for the Clippers that I thought he was the second best center in the NBA behind Shaq," Goldstein said. "He will get back to where he was. The fans in Minnesota will be happy to have Michael."
Jimmy's promise for this included no timetable -- such as for Saturday night's Game 2 of the Sacramento series.

Solid D
06-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Anyone who goes to Lakers games and spends 2 bills to see them lose is either.....
1) eccentric and wealthy
2) our kind of guy :lol

Sonia_TX
06-11-2005, 12:11 AM
I've been wondering who this guy is for months now. The mystery is solved.

SpursChampsIII
06-12-2005, 01:23 AM
Thanks, D!

Kori Ellis
06-12-2005, 01:34 AM
California multimillionaire's hooked on hoops
Web Posted: 06/12/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA061205.3B.NBA_superfan.3054fbdf3.html

Amy Dorsett
Express-News Staff Writer

With his flair for dressing in colorful designer duds and his wiry gray hair, wide-brimmed hats and courtside seat, it's hard to miss multimillionaire Jim Goldstein, who spends hundreds of thousands of dollars each year chasing NBA teams across the country.

League Commissioner David Stern isn't quite sure when he first met him. And he can't say when the enigmatic Goldstein, from California, began being labeled as the league's super fan — an unofficial title he alone holds.

"Haven't I always known him?" Stern asked rhetorically. "He sort of just leapt into the NBA's consciousness because he's at all of our games."

There is one thing Stern can say, with confidence, about Goldstein — he knows him when he sees him.

So will all of San Antonio when he takes his seat tonight at the SBC Center for Game 2 of the NBA Finals. It will be Goldstein's 32nd playoff game — of this season.

The sold-out game, which pits the Spurs against Detroit, is set to tip off at 8 p.m. and will be televised by ABC. The Spurs lead the best-of-seven series 1-0.

Before Thursday night's game, Goldstein, who manages to have access unlike any other fan, strode around the court, greeting players, members of the media and Stern — who said hello with a warm hug.

Though he lives in Los Angeles, home to two NBA teams, Goldstein pledges allegiance to no franchise.

"I consider myself an NBA fan," Goldstein said. "I follow every team in the league."

He used to divide his time between several sports. Though tennis still captures some of his attention, he now concentrates on basketball.

"I find it to be so much more exciting," he said. "The degree of athleticism required for basketball far exceeds football and baseball."

He also appreciates the smaller, more intimate venues of basketball.

Goldstein isn't shy — he promotes himself through his Web site, jamesfgoldstein.com — but he won't answer all of a prying reporter's questions, such as his age, or the source of his money.

He will divulge that the first time he attended a Finals game was in 1957, when the Hawks played the Celtics.

Goldstein's family did have some money, but he is largely a self-made man, making wise real estate investments. Architecture is another of his passions, and he helped design much of his modern home in the Hollywood Hills, which has been featured in magazines.

He also is mum about how much he spent to get his Finals courtside seats next to the broadcaster's table at the SBC Center.

"It's too embarrassing," he said

He was able to buy the tickets through the Spurs and said he also made a charitable donation for the privilege.

But unlike other fans who paid through the nose for a good seat, Goldstein had a special accessory hanging around his neck — a league-issued pass, allowing him access to nearly all the arena.

"He's gotten to know the NBA family very well," Stern said when asked how Goldstein achieved such access. "There are very intense fans in every city, but there's nobody that has made the geographic, emotional and economic commitment that he has."

Goldstein, who never married or had children, knows the league so well he considers them family.He would have to be regarded as a very colorful relative. On Thursday, he wore a red and khaki Roberto Cavalli outfit. Not exactly understated, the tight-fitting duds were accessorized by python boots, scarf and, of course, a wide-brimmed hat, which he's never without.

He replaces his entire wardrobe twice a year. His used clothes aren't sold or donated to charity.

"I keep them all. I've run out of space, but I'm building some new closet space," he said. "It's a collection — it's like collecting art."

For all his flashy extravagances, there is one area of conservative budgeting in Goldstein's life. He travels on commercial flights, in coach.

He won't say which team he's pulling for in the Finals, but does admit he's a fan of the Western Conference and that the Spurs have an edge because of home court advantage.

Either way, whether it's Detroit or the Spurs that ends up with the gold trophy, Goldstein will have a ball.

orhe
06-12-2005, 01:35 AM
hmm cool guy w/ lots of dough!
lol

bigbendbruisebrother
06-12-2005, 08:00 AM
My friend Tim Duncan and I can't stand name droppers.

harleypiper
04-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Jimmy Goldstein
hes in trouble with the los angeles city council.
he tried to make all the senior citizens in his trailer park that he owns pay nearly double their monthly rents.
hes disliked for flaunting his lifestyle and considered one wierd mofo
I'm an advocate for seniors ,especially when I hear someone like him plays dirty.Hes really just living off their social security checks!

http://www.nba.com/media/allaccess/goldstein_120x160_040613.jpg

http://www.jamesfgoldstein.com/basketball_startribune.html

Flair follows this fan
(May 6, 2004)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goldstein a regular at NBA games around the U.S.

By Patrick Reusse / Star Tribune
Sam Cassell was getting into civilian clothes in the visitors' locker room at Pepsi Center in Denver. Forty minutes earlier, the Timberwolves had escaped with an 84-82 victory over Denver in the pivotal fourth game of the first round playoff series.
A gentleman was sitting on a chair next to Cassell. He wore a summer-weight Stetson hat, snakeskin boots, a bolero jacket and pants (both suede), a ventilated T-shirt of rich material -- and all topped off with a scarf.
What do you call this fashion style? Maybe Gucci cowboy.
The man with the long gray hair flowing from under the Stetson was Jimmy Goldstein, a front-row occupant at both Lakers' and Clippers' games in Los Angeles.
He has become a buddy to nearly every player, coach or broadcaster who has come through the NBA for more than a few minutes over the past 30-plus years.
Goldstein was late in a 10-game, 11-day journey across the NBA playoff map when he stopped to see the Wolves and the Nuggets last week.
"I came in from Memphis after seeing my old friend Hubie get the coach of the year award," Goldstein said. "Sam and I go back to those championship seasons [1994 and 1995] in Houston.
"Michael Olowokandi is a very good friend. I know him from the Clippers, of course, and we also have happened to run into each other in the South of France the past couple of summers."
[B]Goldstein moved to Los Angeles in 1962 to attend college. He soon discovered the value of investing in real estate in Southern California. He has been described in various articles as a billionaire.
Goldstein only smirks when asked about his wealth. "Just say that I was able to make some good investments," he said.
The most famous investment is his spectacular home in Beverly Hills. It overlooks Benedectine Canyon and the Los Angeles skyline. It was created by John Lautner, a Frank Lloyd Wright disciple, in 1963. Goldstein bought it in 1989.
His business card reads "architecture, basketball and fashion." His home has been used in several films, music videos and fashion shoots.
"The Big Lebowski was filmed in my home," Goldstein said, referring to the party scene in which the main character (Jeff Bridges) visits Jackie Treehorn (Ben Gazzara) and winds up in a bad way.
People who have observed Goldstein in his prime seats at NBA games might think they are seeing the same clothes over and over. He was mildly offended when a reporter made such a suggestion.
"These are the very latest in fashion . . . cutting edge," Goldstein said. "I make two or three trips a year to Paris and Milano to update my wardrobe."
Jerry Sichting, a Wolves' assistant, was in a group of players visiting Goldstein's house a few years back.
"He has this amazing glass house," Sichting said. "You walk in what looks like an ordinary closet and it's a big area, with one of those pulley system like at a laundry. He has hundreds of jackets, slacks -- the wardrobe that he wears -- and endless pairs of boots."
Goldstein started sitting at courtside for Lakers' games in the mid-'60s, when the price for such a ticket at the L.A. Sports Arena was $15.
"The prices in the front row for the Lakers' playoff games are now $2,200 in the first round, $2,400 in the second, $2,600 for the third and $2,800 if they reach the finals," Goldstein said.
What distinguishes Goldstein from Jack Nicholson and the other front-row occupants at Staples Center is that Jimmy wants to see the Lakers lose, no matter the opponent.
"Mostly, I go to NBA games to see good basketball," Goldstein said. "With the Lakers, I'm there hoping that they lose. It really bothers Shaq [O'Neal] . . . to have me there in the front row, rooting against the Lakers.
"Why does anyone root for certain teams and against others? There was something about the Lakers that I didn't like years ago, and it has stayed with me, even through the championship seasons."The Rockets of the mid-'90s embraced Goldstein as a valuable fan. He traveled with the team at playoff time for a few years, including during those back-to-back championships.
Goldstein still relishes a moment in 1996, when the Lakers and the Rockets were playing a first-round series.
"The Lakers were coming out to Houston's practice facility for a workout," Goldstein said. "They walked in and I was the only person there -- all alone on the floor, shooting baskets.
"The Lakers couldn't believe it: 'He's in the front row at our games, rooting against us, and now this?' "
Goldstein probably will make an appearance at the Kings-Timberwolves series when it moves to Sacramento next week. It probably would have to go to Game 7 for him to make it to Minneapolis.
For now, Jimmy can only offer these encouraging -- if improbable sounding words -- in support of Olowokandi, his fellow traveler in the summer.
"Three years ago, Michael was playing so well for the Clippers that I thought he was the second best center in the NBA behind Shaq," Goldstein said. "He will get back to where he was. The fans in Minnesota will be happy to have Michael."
Jimmy's promise for this included no timetable -- such as for Saturday night's Game 2 of the Sacramento series.

SenorSpur
04-24-2009, 08:46 PM
If you're able to watch the many post-game press conference during the playoffs and the NBA Finals, you may see him pop up in some of those. I remember seeing him in a post-game press conference in Detroit, after on of the Spurs/Pistons games. He knows a fair amount of players. At times, I've seen some acknowledge him during press conference. Dude gets around.

spursfan1000
04-24-2009, 08:51 PM

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Anyone who goes to Lakers games and spends 2 bills to see them lose is either.....
1) eccentric and wealthy
2) our kind of guy

:lol

...yeah, and the guy was even involved in one of my favourite movies of all time, The Big Lebowski. What a life!

Here's to you, Jimmy! :toast

Spursone
04-24-2009, 10:11 PM
:wakeup

Yeah i say him last week at the corner of S. Zarzamora and Frio City rd. here in San Antonio. He was selling newspapers and looked down on his luck, so I bought a newspaper from him and gave him a bean and cheese breakfast taco. Who would have known he was a big shot!

GO FIGURE! :lmao

Trainwreck2100
04-24-2009, 11:04 PM
wtf is with the 4 year bump, did he die or something

Russ
04-24-2009, 11:27 PM
Jim Goldstein is a Clippers fan who also has Laker season tickets. I'd call that eccentric. I've seen him at games I attended in LA, Phoenix ('05 WCF) and SA. He literally travels cross-country day after day to catch as many playoff games as possible.

The bigger question is who is the pony-tailed geriatric Mavs fan who has been at all of the playoff games so far. He sits courtside and every time the Mavs do anything he jumps up like a jack-in-the-box and waves these red handclapper thingies. He seemed to sit in the exact same place in both SA and Dallas.

Goldstein is one of the game's great characters. This other guy is just obnoxious.

nkdlunch
04-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Dude reminds me of the old man from poltergeist. Scares the shit out of me.

the team of the devil

http://criticalmass.blogs.citypaper.net/blogs/mu/files/2008/04/rainkane2.jpg

lefty
04-25-2009, 12:41 AM
...with the hat, long gray hair, and weird outfit who sits in one of the floor seats across from the player benches? I've seen him for several playoff game...have also seen him at other sites at games not involving the Spurs. If that wasn't enough, the damn blue hair was in the media room after the games while the players were being interviewed, again on the first row of seats!

That guy ?

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/4793/pophobo.jpg

shelshor
04-25-2009, 01:23 AM
And if you'll notice Goldstein refuses to either stand or remove his hat during the National Anthem

Flux451
04-25-2009, 01:26 AM
Ric Flair

duncan228
04-25-2009, 02:18 AM
The bigger question is who is the pony-tailed geriatric Mavs fan who has been at all of the playoff games so far. He sits courtside and every time the Mavs do anything he jumps up like a jack-in-the-box and waves these red handclapper thingies. He seemed to sit in the exact same place in both SA and Dallas.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123714

Spurs 21+20+9=50
04-25-2009, 10:39 AM
I met Jimmy Goldstein last Saturday night at a convenience store after the Spurs / Mavs game 1. He was headed back to LA for Lakers / Jazz game 1 on Sunday afternoon, but could not get a flight out of San Antonio early enough on Sunday morning to make it to the Lakers game, so he was driving up to Austin to catch a flight there on Sunday morning that would allow him to make the Lakers game on time. He walked into the Shell station that I had stopped at after the game. Talked to him for a few minutes, very very interesting guy. He said he thinks the Spurs / Mavs series will be a great one and will go 6 or 7 games.

Spork KIller
04-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Just Die already!

Russ
04-25-2009, 01:32 PM
I met Goldstein once in the LA airport waiting to get on a Southwest flight to SA for Game 1 of the '07 Finals against Cleveland. He was just sitting alone in the waiting area in his whole leather outfit, hat and all.

I was a Clipper season ticket holder (at the time) and had seen him at virtually every Clipper game I ever went to. So I bravely went up to talk to him.

Goldstein was upset (as was I) that the plane was late and we might miss the opening tip (we actually got there in plenty of time).

He told me his favorite team after the Clipppers was the Suns.

Then he asked me a question he was certain I wouldn't know the answer to. He said, "I know you're a Spurs fan but I bet you don't know about an Argentinian guy who's really good that the Spurs have the rights to and haven't brought over yet" (referring to Scola, of course).

At that point, my lifelong inability to ingratiate myself with power reared its ugly head. I could have said, "Oh really, who?" and he could have told me and felt more knowledgeable than me and I would have curried favor with a billionaire.

Instead I said, with a knowing chuckle, "You mean Luis Scola?"

He looked at me slightly taken aback and replied "Yes" like I'd just stepped on his leather hat.

Then I compounded the mistake by further showing off. "Have you heard of another Spurs overseas player, Robertas Javtokas?" I asked.

"No" he said and he seemed to cool to the coversation at that point.

Anyway, I told him that I wasn't renewing my Clippers tickets because they were raising the prices by 40% after a terrible year. Goldstein said that the ticket price hike was all Mike Dunleavy's doing and that he'd had some run ins with Dunlreavy and didn't care for him.

We were still talking when they called for boarding and Goldstein looked at me like I had dropped the ball by even allowing the possiblity that the plane would leave without him. He looked at me as if to say, "What kind of a flunkie are you, anyway?"

All in all, it was interesting. He was on his cell phone to his "advance team" in SA coordinating his pick up and whom he would play tennis with on the off day (he was carrying a racket and is a big tennis player).

I'd give anything to be on another plane to a Finals game in SA. :toast

angel_luv
04-25-2009, 01:37 PM
My friend Tim Duncan and I can't stand name droppers.

:lol :lol

MFILF
04-25-2009, 01:40 PM
You guys are just as informed about fans as you are about basketball in general. :lmao

His name is Don Knobler.

http://friends.mavs.com/profiles/blogs/super-fan

Russ
04-25-2009, 02:58 PM
You guys are just as informed about fans as you are about basketball in general. :lmao

His name is Don Knobler.

:rollin Get a clue.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123714

TampaDude
04-27-2009, 12:58 PM

His name is Don Knobler.

That's not who we're talking about...and you're four years late...YOU FAIL! :lol

Gervin44Silas13
04-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Joto!!!!!!!

FromWayDowntown
04-27-2009, 02:00 PM
I met Jimmy Goldstein after Game 2 of the 2007 Finals as we were each walking out of the AT&T Center. I said "Jimmy!" and he looked at me as if to say "Who in the hell are you?" but caught himself, asked my name, shook my hand, told me how great the Spurs were, and thanked me for my time.

mrs.purss
04-27-2009, 02:33 PM
But have any of yall shook his hand? I have........

41times
04-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Jimmy has been going to NBA games for many years. He always sits first row usually under the basket area. He is a wild looking dude with a bunch of money.

The Mavs have a guy just like him who sits first row usually accross from the Mavs bench. His name is Don Knobler. He always has his pink clappers and he wears the wildest clothes just like Jimmy. He's a good fan!