PDA

View Full Version : Bank Reccomndations

MannyIsGod
06-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Who do you guys bank with? Bank Of America has pissed me off enough, and I'm ready to switch. I just want to go somewhere that I will have good service and not recieve fees for no reason.

Oh, and don't bother reccomending Wells Fargo, they're on my shit list too.

bigzak25
06-10-2005, 11:48 PM
stay away from compass....even though i haven't cancelled the account yet...i can't reccomend them...i've wanted to drive by at night and throw bricks through the windows for the underhanded overdraft fees they've charged me in the past....

i like firstmark bank. they have one off of isom and 281 and i don't know where else...

ZStomp
Ssfcu?

Guru of Nothing
Jefferson State Bank was the bank for me, back in the day.

Guru of Nothing
06-10-2005, 11:50 PM
How about the First National Bank of WalMart?

MannyIsGod
06-10-2005, 11:57 PM
I haven't had any problems with BoA as far as fee's are concerned for the most part. My beef with them has dealt with keeping my account secure. So far it's been a major pain in the ass!

They also don't always allow my debit card to work properly. I can use it one second, then be declined the next even though I have plenty of money in the account. And then follow up being declined with being able to use the card again, sometimes for a larger amount.

bigzak25
06-11-2005, 12:00 AM
then there was that time at the compass drive up atm when i withdrew a hundred buck from my account....but alas, no money. it was a fantastic experience, it only took them 2 weeks and two trips to the bank to deposit the hundred back into my account recognizing it as bank error.

Duff McCartney
06-11-2005, 12:24 AM
Manny, every corporation is on your shit list, why don't you just give your money to some Jewish guy?

MannyIsGod
06-11-2005, 12:37 AM
Manny, every corporation is on your shit list, why don't you just give your money to some Jewish guy?
Why don't you just go give your money to some dentist in College Station?

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-11-2005, 12:38 AM

Sometimes you just make it too easy.

Anyways, I can't stand Firstmark (formerly Teachers Credit Union). They had so many fees, only allowed some transactions to be done once or twice a month, etc.

Bank of America has been great with me - so much so that it's one of the only places in which I've had such good service, I went into the branch after just going through the drive-thru.

Ginofan
06-11-2005, 12:43 AM
BoA rules. Sorry they are just racist against you Manny.

MannyIsGod
06-11-2005, 12:43 AM
The fucked up thing is how it varries from person to person. Some people love BoA, others hate them. I do love that they have so many branches and ATMs. I may ride it out a bit longer, but I may open up a second account at another bank as well.

Kori Ellis
06-11-2005, 12:49 AM
One time when I live in Los Angeles, our business deposited a $17K check inside the branch, got the receipt, everything was fine. The next day, our account was off by $34K because they somehow entered it as a debit instead of a deposit (even though our receipt said deposit). I brought in the receipt, went to the branch manager and she told me that we would have to wait 10 business days while they investigated. :wtf It was a nightmare.

Victor Newman
06-11-2005, 12:54 AM
I know Frank and Jerry Frost, I used to work for him in the 80s at the Plaza club.

when the Savings and loan scam broke out in the 80s? FDIC only paid 50% on the dollar, many banks did not have it, But Not Mr Frost .He paid 100% on the dollar,out of his own pocket, That was the day I fell in love with him, he is a Billionare ,and he is the real reason San Antonio never died,

Your money is safe, now bounce a check? that's another story, I remember back in 1985 when Broadway bank would call you at your job to tell you you have a check with ISF , and would you an over draft, to cover the check, remember the days you could write a check to Krogers get 50 dollars over, and have until tuesday to get the 50 in your account? those where the days, man how time has changed,

but what WTF do I know? I don't even have a job :lmao

timvp
06-11-2005, 12:54 AM
We use Bank of America but yeah they pretty much suck. I once went in there trying to deposit a $10K check and they wouldn't accept it. I didn't want any money back or anything, just deposit it. They said they couldn't validate the check in the system or some BS and to bring it back a couple days later and try again. I was like WTF what kind of bank doesn't accept a deposit? They said it was to protect against fraud. I told them again that I didn't want to withdraw any money but they insisted.

I went back a couple days later and they deposited it and took out their charges faster than a mofo. I had to give the manager there a wave goodbye :flipoff

Nbadan
06-11-2005, 12:56 AM
Banks suck, and BoA is no exception, but I have heard good things about the new Washington Mutuals opening up around town. I keep my money in local-friendly credit Unions.

Victor Newman
06-11-2005, 01:00 AM
Banks suck, and BoA is no exception, but I have heard good things about the new Washington Mutuals opening up around town. I keep my money in local-friendly credit Unions.

The credit unions? have you ever bounced a check? they make a living off your ass. I was part of Security fedral credit union and I know folks who use the teachers credit union, it's a scam,

MannyIsGod
06-11-2005, 01:04 AM
I don't write checks. I'm not worried about bouncing them.

Nbadan
06-11-2005, 01:09 AM
The credit unions? have you ever bounced a check? they make a living off your ass. I was part of Security fedral credit union and I know folks who use the teachers credit union, it's a scam,

I don't bounch checks either, but BoA charges like $28 per bounced check. So pick your poison. What I like about SACU is they credit my deposits immediately. No 3 day wait while some rich banker makes interest off my ass(ets). I could deposit a check in the drive-thru and walk up to a SACU ATM and withdraw my money for no fee.

Solid D
06-11-2005, 01:17 AM
One practical note: notice ATMs in your daily routine driving path. Whose are they? The biggest problem with most people is the impulse need for cash, regardless of the reasons. The fees can really get you if the ATM is not for your bank.

mouse
06-11-2005, 01:30 AM
I don't write checks.

You don't have to tell me, I see it every day when that red bike you said you wanted is still on my porch :smokin

I'm not worried about bouncing them.

it must be nice to be young, Trust me after you turn 40? your tits will bounce just like mine. :lmao

mouse
06-11-2005, 01:32 AM
So pick your poison.

Sincerly the 2008 Elections :lmao

scott
06-11-2005, 02:42 AM
Credit Unions or Mutual Owned Federal Savings and Loans are the way to go. Place like BofA are public traded corporations, and have shareholders to answer to. Credit Unions and Mutuals are owned by the deposit holders. Do the math - they serve the deposit holders through lower asset-liability spreads.

I've been with SSFCU for about 10 years, and I have no complaints.

Clandestino
06-11-2005, 02:43 AM
contrary to popular belief, USAA federal savings bank can be used by anyone... they are the best bank i've ever had.. i had foreign banks and domestic.. the best... they practically pay you to bank with them... the only thing USAA can't do to non-military members is write insurance or one other thing.. check them out manny, you will be impressed...

scott
06-11-2005, 02:47 AM
USAA is a good FSB, very well run - I use to regulate them in a former career. One great thing for the consumer is they reimburse all ATM fees - so basically any ATM is your ATM. They are a wholly owned subsidiary of the USAA corporate umbrella, but USAA (the main entity) is a mutually owned insurance company, so you get the benefits of a Mutual/Credit Union, although a little watered down.

maxpower
06-11-2005, 03:32 AM
Simple, don't bounce checks.

Brodels
06-11-2005, 08:14 AM
I'm a big fan of credit unions. Anyone can join the one I belong to as long as you live in my particular county.

I'm not sure if it's the same there, but in my state, credit unions offer a lot of things that other banks can't match. With shared branching, I can do my banking at most of the credit unions in the state. That means I can deposit money and do most of whatever else I need to do in just about any town. I know that shared branching has been used in some cases to apply for loans, but I'm not sure if that's the norm.

I also have access to surcharge-free ATMs all over the state. All of the credit unions here participate in SURF - a program that allows any credit union member to use any credit union ATM in the state without paying surcharges.

The only thing I don't like about credit unions is that most of them have hours that coincide with when most people work. Many banks (especially in the city) are open at night or on Sundays. But since I need to go to the branch office only rarely, it doesn't matter much to me.

Overall, I'm happy I left my ripoff bank for my credit union. At least I know that making shareholder rich is not the primary goal of my credit union.

SpursWoman
06-11-2005, 08:16 AM
I've been at Broadway Bank for about 15 years, and they've always been really good to me, their fees are lower than most banks I've seen, too. :)

Gatita
06-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Bank of America has my car note, has given me a unsecure credit card, and am a preferred customer, so I am happy with them. :) You can't beat all the available bank and ATM locations.

samikeyp
06-11-2005, 09:23 AM
notice ATMs in your daily routine driving path

that is why I chose BoA. Their customer service has always been good too. Sorry Manny that you have had so many issues.

Clandestino
06-11-2005, 09:27 AM
usaa, free online bill payment with direct deposit... you can use any atm worldwide and they will reimburse you for all the atm fees up to $15 bux a month. if you happen to have any checks you need to deposit, they will send you self-addressed stamped envelopes to mail them in... they always have low aprs for loans too... fees? i can't think of any... and you even get a rebate for using your debit card if you use the pin and not like the credit card...

gophergeorge
06-11-2005, 09:27 AM
I want to join Frost Bank because of that commercial with the kid promising to eat more chicken fried steak.... :)

Clandestino
06-11-2005, 09:28 AM
BOA pisses me off as well... my brother has them.. he moved out months ago and boa still sends shit to my house even though he's changed his address like 50x!

Shelly
06-11-2005, 10:40 AM
I've been with BofA since some of y'all were knee high to a grasshopper! :lol

Seriously, I've never had a problem with them and what's nice is that every state I lived in has one, so no problem finding an ATM. Both of us are on direct deposit so the only time we go to the bank is to get cash out of the ATM. Also, they are one of the few banks that hasn't been bought out. The bank we use for work has been bought out twice. It finally ended up being Citibank.

However, the one thing that sucked about them is that if you move to a new state, you really need to open an account with the local branch. When we moved from AZ to TX, it totally confused the TX branch. I had to always tell them it was an AZ account number. We finally ended up closing that one and opening a new one.

MannyIsGod
06-11-2005, 10:43 AM
I'm actually thinking about using Valero FCU because my mother works at Valero so I can open an account there. I understand you can use BofA atms in Diamond Shamrocks for no charge, so I may go ahead and do that. But having only one branch really does blow.

Mark in Austin
06-11-2005, 11:13 AM
I'm so happy w/ SSFCU I still use them even though there isn't a branch in Austin.

desflood
06-11-2005, 11:22 AM
We've been with SSFCU for many years and have never had any problems or complaints. We even used them in Germany and California.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Manny, go with USAA. Free checking, free online bill pay, access to financial planners for free (if you're into that kind of thing), highest rate of return on your savings account that I've found shopping around, no fees on checking or savings.

I just made the switch from Wells Fargo (its where I had my student loans for college at so I just kinda went with them when I got to Dallas), been really happy with them so far.

Clandestino
06-11-2005, 05:42 PM
yeah, if you have usaa... ANY atm is your atm! it is free to you! whether you are overseas or in san antonio...

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-11-2005, 05:52 PM
yeah, if you have usaa... ANY atm is your atm! it is free to you! whether you are overseas or in san antonio...

I didn't know that anybody could join. I might just have to open an account there.

Thanks.

Vashner
06-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Frost is the best.

King
06-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Manny, go with USAA. Free checking, free online bill pay, access to financial planners for free (if you're into that kind of thing), highest rate of return on your savings account that I've found shopping around, no fees on checking or savings.

I just made the switch from Wells Fargo (its where I had my student loans for college at so I just kinda went with them when I got to Dallas), been really happy with them so far.

I'm with BoA, and haven't had any problems with them. Just recently opened car insurance with USAA and the guy was telling me about their banking. Supposedly, on every debit purchase you make, you get .5% back into your account, so you make money. Not a big amount, but no other bank offers that that I know of. I might make a switch to USAA...only problem is the convenience. I'd pass eight BoA's before I got to USAA.

Clandestino
06-11-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm with BoA, and haven't had any problems with them. Just recently opened car insurance with USAA and the guy was telling me about their banking. Supposedly, on every debit purchase you make, you get .5% back into your account, so you make money. Not a big amount, but no other bank offers that that I know of. I might make a switch to USAA...only problem is the convenience. I'd pass eight BoA's before I got to USAA.

what do you have to go to the bank for?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-11-2005, 06:14 PM
What convenience is it that you're looking for?

You get cash back on your debits, and you can make an ATM transaction anywhere and they're reimburse you for any charges you get stuck with.

If you need to deposit checks and you're nowhere near USAA (I'm in Dallas), they'll send you a self addressed envelope to send back.

You can pay all your bills online with no fees, so no more checks being written for them.

Not sure what else you're looking for.

King
06-11-2005, 06:21 PM
It was mainly the occassional deposit. Maybe twice a month, I'll deposit some cash. But, twice a month I can do. I have direct deposit, so paychecks are no problem.

The only convenience is the geography. My BoA is literally a half mile from the house, where as USAA is off 10. Whenever I've had to make a trip to the bank, it's right up the street. But, trips are so few and far between that it'd be ridiculous to make that my deciding factor.

MannyIsGod
06-11-2005, 06:26 PM
USAA sounds pretty awesome. I will go by there on Monday and look into opening an account there.

Last night, I got denied on a 3.27 debit card transaction. Today, no problems with the card even though it had plenty of money both times. So strange.

Babu
06-11-2005, 06:37 PM
IBC Bank has been very good to me....very good to me.
Free checking and MC Debit Card.
Overdraft protection.
Online Banking.
It is the sheet!!

spurschick
06-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Manny - sounds like you're going with USAA, but if you wanted to scout around some more, I suggest SSFCU or Lone Star Capital Bank.

Mr. Ash
06-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Supposedly, on every debit purchase you make, you get .5% back into your account, so you make money. Not a big amount, but no other bank offers that that I know of.

There's actually three credits applied to your checking account each month. A refund of any ATM fees (up to $15 or so), the .5% rebate you mentioned, and it's an interest bearing checking account. It's not much, but better than nothing. I've banked with them for 17 years and not had a single problem.

ididnotnothat
06-12-2005, 04:17 PM
I bank with IBC and have never had any problems.
I like the fact that they are open on the weekends too.

Faccia di Angelo
06-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Firstmark Credit Union! I've been with them for a few years now and I'm very satisfied. Except that they didn't want to give me a loan but that was not their fault :lol

JoeChalupa
06-12-2005, 08:42 PM
BOA just sent me a coupon for $50 if I go direct deposit with them.
Right now we bank w/HEB FCU or IBC.
http://www.ada.com.tr/~modabasi/fender.jpg

atlfan25
06-12-2005, 09:43 PM
i find broadway bank to be a good and very friendly bank. i have had zero problems with them.

IX_Equilibrium
06-13-2005, 08:28 AM
I've been pleased with Frost

mookie2001
06-13-2005, 10:23 AM
manny ask some of the neocons which bank is shows your statements and financial activity to government agencies the fastest, or is that not what youre looking for?

MannyIsGod
09-28-2005, 12:28 PM
I went with Frost. I've been with them for about 3 months now, and it has gone very very well. They've actually called me to check up on things! Very awesome!

tlongII
09-28-2005, 12:32 PM
I use BoA. They're okay.

Spurfect
09-28-2005, 01:06 PM
I've been with Washington Mutual for years now and have been very happy with them. free ATMS anywhere and I get free Money Orders

TheTruth
09-28-2005, 01:20 PM
SSFCU has never done me wrong. But they are sooooo damn busy all the time.

Trainwreck2100
09-28-2005, 01:25 PM
BOA gave me 120 dollars in overdraft, over four purchases with a combined total of less than $12. I still use them to make sure I never do that again.

Ocotillo
09-28-2005, 02:21 PM
USAA FSB is my bank and I have to give them the nod. For what you do Manny, they would be good and I am sure Frost will be fine as well. Bricks and mortar (branches) are getting less and less important with internet banking and debit cards.

I did leave USAA briefly because BankOne (now Chase) had a branch close by and they are national so I could use their ATMs without being surcharged. There were problems with the accounting of my account and guess what, they don't have branches in places like Carrizo Springs or Johnston, Iowa. USAA reimburses the surcharge if you use an ATM anywhere....up to $ 15.00 a month.

Your debit card issues with BOA could be a number of things that are a problem. Perhaps they have your daily w/d limit set too low. Maybe they are down sometimes and the "stand in" authorization doesn't allow you to get your cash or purchase.

The big guys like Wells Fargo, BOA, Chase, Wachovia (who bought SouthTrust), and Washington Mutual are huge and often have high tech features and low fees and sorry customer service. The local banks are high on service but often low tech and higher on fees. Credit Unions usually have low fees but are hit and miss on service.

With USAA, I get the advantages of a locally based bank, high tech features, great service....... I think it's a win/win.

cherylsteele
09-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Anyways, I can't stand Firstmark (formerly Teachers Credit Union). They had so many fees, only allowed some transactions to be done once or twice a month, etc.

Firstmark??? I have a checking and savings account there and have had no problems with them.
What fees are you talking about anyways? If you are talking about ONLINE transactions, there is a federal law that allows only so many per month...I think it is 6. If you want more transactions then you must actually go to the lobby.

There overdraft fees are not worse than many other banks. ($30). Actually where they kill you ion iverdraft fees is not always your bank, but the bank where the business you wrote does its banking, they pass that fee in to you, plus your bank charging the overdraft fee.

Vashner
09-28-2005, 03:27 PM
What I like about Frost.. they are more of the handshake type of company. Founded on principles of customer service. It's night and day compared to some of these peppermill banks that like to do a lot of slick talking on the phone...

Developing relationships with Texans is exactly what Thomas Claiborne Frost had in mind when he founded Frost Bank. Born in Jackson County, Alabama in 1833, T.C. Frost arrived in Texas after graduating from college to take a job as a professor. He then studied law, his license being signed by Judge R.E.B. Baylor for whom Baylor University was named. Later he was appointed as a Texas Ranger. He became immersed in Texas business and state affairs, serving as a postmaster, a real estate professional, a lawyer and a county district attorney. During the Civil War, Frost served in the Confederate Army, first as a captain, then a colonel-- a title that would stay with him all his life.

After the war, Frost joined his brother and a third partner operating Fitch, Frost and Bro., a mercantile and auction business on San Antonio's Main Plaza.

Within a few years of its beginning in 1868, the company expanded into the wool commission business. The Colonel provided credit until wool prices rose, which cemented his business relationships. And, Frost Bank was born. For nearly 20 years, Frost operated the private bank, financing his customers' wool goods. Then, in 1899, he obtained a national charter for his $1.3 million bank.

Building a Texas Legacy

That move paved the way for Frost Bank to become one of the major financial forces behind the economic growth of both San Antonio and Texas. Over the next 25 years, prosperity abounded-- both locally and nationally. Col. Frost died in 1903, leaving behind a strong bank with deep roots in the state and a commitment to Texas values. As the economic boom boosted construction, real estate, and investment in the stock market, Frost Bank supported the growth through loans, investments and community involvement. By 1922, the bank built a 12-story skyscraper on Main Plaza where the original business once stood. And in 1928, under the guidance of the Frost family, the bank merged with San Antonio's oldest bank, Lockwood National Bank.

With new size and strength, Frost was solid enough to weather the Great Depression. Through major depositor runs on banks and 5,000 nationwide bank failures, Frost kept its doors open. The reason: Frost had built its relationships with Texans-- lending based on their character first and foremost, not on their projects alone.

For the next 30 years-- well into the 1960s-- Frost Bank helped San Antonians obtain new housing, start new businesses and expand the old ones.

Expanding for Tomorrow

With 100 years of experience behind it, Frost Bank entered the 1970s positioned for growth and expansion. In 1977, the bank merged with Cullen Bankers of Houston, creating the holding company Cullen/Frost Bankers and marking the bank's entrance into Houston and Dallas. The bank also was listed on the NASDAQ and began adding technological advances to meet the needs of its growing customer base.

Much of that exuberance for expansion came to a temporary halt in the 1980s when the price of oil dropped, the real estate market crashed and the savings and loan industry crumpled. Hundreds of banks, burdened by large portfolios of non-performing commercial and real estate loans, either sought federal assistance or failed and were sold to out-of-state institutions. Frost Bank hunkered down and became the only one of the major Texas bank holding companies to survive the downturn without federal assistance or a merger. Together, the bank and its longtime Texas customers weathered the financial storm once again.

Frost Bank emerged ready to take on the last decade of the 20th century-facing fierce competition from out-of-state banks.

Restless for financial relationships with a bank that understood Texans and their values, customer demand facilitated Frost Bank's expansion into Austin, McAllen, Harlingen, the Hill Country, Corpus Christi, Fort Worth and Dallas. It also grew significantly in its headquarters city, San Antonio, and in Houston, as well as affiliating with United States National Bank in Galveston.

blah blah you get the idea..

They had open money during the great depression and the 80's crash...

Proven performance..

MiNuS
09-28-2005, 03:35 PM
I have 4 bank accounts.

IBC is the best IMO. It all depends where you live and how long you've done business with that particular bank.

I also have Wells Fargo. The worse service!

batman2883
09-28-2005, 03:36 PM
SSFCU is the shiznit

Vashner
09-28-2005, 03:37 PM
A bank is a lot more than a name. You have to look at how they invest. How they hire etc. Remember there was an S&L crash once.. it could happen again..

I would rather drive to the bank and my money BE THERE than a closed sign when the SHTF.

MannyIsGod
09-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Firstmark??? I have a checking and savings account there and have had no problems with them.
What fees are you talking about anyways? If you are talking about ONLINE transactions, there is a federal law that allows only so many per month...I think it is 6. If you want more transactions then you must actually go to the lobby.

There overdraft fees are not worse than many other banks. ($30). Actually where they kill you ion iverdraft fees is not always your bank, but the bank where the business you wrote does its banking, they pass that fee in to you, plus your bank charging the overdraft fee.
The six transaction rule only applies to savings accounts.

MannyIsGod
09-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with Frost so far.

I still have that BOA account open, but I haven't used it for much of anything lately.

Vashner
09-28-2005, 03:40 PM
Yea or some basic checking.. depends on the bank policy no?

MannyIsGod
09-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Well, the law is only regarding savings accounts. Bank policies are their own business.

Vashner
09-28-2005, 03:45 PM
Have you tried Frost online? I use the billpay it rules.. no stamps.
A lot of the good banks have it now...

cherylsteele
09-28-2005, 04:43 PM
The six transaction rule only applies to savings accounts.
That's right...thanks.
That was the only "problem". I don't make more than 2/month. I have had no problems at all with Firstmark.

Not sure of what "fees" the other poster was referring to though.

SWC Bonfire
09-28-2005, 04:44 PM
I reccomend that you just bury your savings in a canning jar in the backyard.

Vashner
09-28-2005, 04:47 PM
I reccomend that you just bury your savings in a canning jar in the backyard.

Err.. Pelican case...

MannyIsGod
09-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Have you tried Frost online? I use the billpay it rules.. no stamps.
A lot of the good banks have it now...
Yeah, I dig it. My only beef with it is that it goes down in the wee hours of the morning. I'm usually up at that time, and I've tried to check on things but the server is down. They update things and keep track of things very well though, and overall I like the online service better than the one BoA has.

timvp
04-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Bank of America strikes again. Someone in a land far, far away buys a fridge with my debit card. BoA says they can reverse it ... but I have to cancel that debit card and wait seven business days to get a new one. Problem is I have hundreds of things associated with that card and it's a huge pain to cancel it, especially when they won't give me the new card information.

That was yesterday. Today in the mail I get a notice from them saying that an ATM deposit I made was reversed because no envelope was received. Are you freaking kidding me? Two weeks after the deposit and after the deposit showed up on my account, they turn around and say I never even gave them an envelope with checks in it.

FBOA.

:pctoss

CharlieMac
04-14-2006, 04:00 PM
I was happy with First Mark recently. They called me as soon as they recieved word that my credit/debit account number was at risk. Nothing was purchased but they said to call if there was even a 50 cent transaction I didnt recognize. That's pretty much the story.

PM5K
04-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Bank of America strikes again. Someone in a land far, far away buys a fridge with my debit card. BoA says they can reverse it ... but I have to cancel that debit card and wait seven business days to get a new one. Problem is I have hundreds of things associated with that card and it's a huge pain to cancel it, especially when they won't give me the new card information.

That was yesterday. Today in the mail I get a notice from them saying that an ATM deposit I made was reversed because no envelope was received. Are you freaking kidding me? Two weeks after the deposit and after the deposit showed up on my account, they turn around and say I never even gave them an envelope with checks in it.

FBOA.

Dude dead thread...

Anyhow since it's here I use SACU but they aren't the cats meow either, whatever the fuck that means.

Oh and what the fuck is up with Washington Mutual calling themselves WAMU, that's fucking stupid.

Anyone use Wachovia?

kris
04-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Alive.

SSFCU. I can't remember ever having a problem. I got a credit card through them and set up my online account. Hardly ever had to withdraw cash. Just swipe the card and move the money to the account online. Never had a late fee or interest. It was a sweet set up.

One time the manager at one of the locations even went out of his way to help me out in cashing 1/2 of a large check on the spot. It went against policy, but sometimes people recognize.

I've heard too many stories from LJ about Bank of America. They can't handle big transactions and regular banking. Too many unnecessary delays for too long.

PS If a banks check bouncing fee enters into your equation, don't get a checking account.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-14-2006, 04:37 PM
PS If a banks check bouncing fee enters into your equation, don't get a checking account.

That should be an automatic denial if you ask that question.

exstatic
04-14-2006, 05:18 PM
USAA. I used to bank with Broadway (for like 10 years) but they pissed me off. I always took cash out of the ATM in $50 increments. I used one of their ATMs and it only dispensed $30 to me although I requested (and the receipt said) $50. I went to the branch to clear up the situation, and they wrote on the draft sheet "Left money in hopper". I was like WTF? Nobody left nothin' nowhere. Your machine malfuctioned. They said that they had to write something. I asked if it could be something less insulting. They hemmed and hawed. I took my money, and moved to USAA by the next pay period.

As stated previously, EVERY ATM is your ATM. USAA charges no fee and reemburses you for all bank fees up to $15 a month. I would imagine that this is cheaper than maintaining an ATM network. In addition, I'm hearing that they are going to network with other banks so that you can make deposits in 3000 locations.

USAA WebBillPay is the bomb. I pay every bill through them, and even when you can't get an electonic invoice (my podunk electric co-op and water/sewer bills), they will still cut and mail a check FOR you, guaranteed on time. Those need a day or two more lead time.

Vashner
04-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Frost 4 teh win.

Latka
04-15-2006, 03:30 AM

Dear timvp, this is horrible news!

Anybody wants a beer?

No?

Cold beer really tastes better!

http://www.thensane.com/NOMASS51/6_2004andmore/fridgewithbowdesnbeerandpop_small.jpg

MannyIsGod
04-15-2006, 05:13 AM
Frost has been pretty fucking bad ass for me. I like them a lot.

SpursWoman
05-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Good God, Bank of America strikes again.

All I'm trying to do is verify if this lady's debit card account is closed before we cut her a refund check and I've been fighting with the automated system for 20 minutes so far. I've gotten 3 different customer service people and they have each sent me to the wrong department. Add 15 minutes to that and I still don't have an answer.

At first it was funny because it was just like that commercial where they guy is burning up his kitchen...now I'm losing my sense of humor.

:cuss :lol :lol

jcrod
05-11-2006, 11:29 AM
I bank at USAA and never have a problem, and get reimbursed for ATM fees. Before that I banked at Frost and never had problems with them. When we lived in Plano for 4 yrs I kept my USAA bank account open and opened one at Community Credit Union, and that worked out good. They also financed my car loan.

MoSpur
05-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Been with SSFCU for almost 10 years now. No problems.

AlamoSpursFan
05-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Perfectly happy with Randolph Brooks myself...

ChumpDumper
12-21-2006, 07:26 PM
I decided to bump this. I opened a couple of high-interest money market accounts. I waited until WaMu and BofA had them as I'm still overly enamored with access to brick and mortar branches.

The app process was pretty easy for both. BofA was pretty thorough with its security checks, as I had banked with them here and in California. The two state thing complicated my enrollment in online banking, but one quick call took care of everything. Turns out they still had all my information from the last time I had online banking in Texas five years ago. BTW, the secret to talking to a real person at BofA is to not respond at all to the automated questions.

Anyway, both accounts are open and I can transfer funds to my checking accounts instantly whenever I need the money -- otherwise it will be collecting very nice interest. Guess I'll keep both until it becomes more clear which place is more committed to maintaining relatively high interest rates. If you have some money you need to keep liquid, the current rates are better than most of the CD deals out there.

MannyIsGod
12-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Fuck BoA. I finally got Jess to open up a Frost account.

I'm going to open up a few accounts of that nature soon as well, Chump. I think I'm going to go with an online bank, however. They usually seem to have better interest rates.

ChumpDumper
12-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I'm one of those folks who never had a problem. What can I say?

Anyway, WaMu was fine as well. They also have cover the non-WaMu atm fees and have one free overdraft per year on their checking (which I don't need since I backed it up with the MM account).

One thing: nobody in either bank knew about the online deals. I was able to deposit into those accounts at both banks with no problem, and have verified the interest amount for the WaMu account and will the interest for the BofA in a couple of days. I just find it interesting that bank "professionals" have no idea what their banks are doing when all they have to do is look on the internets.

ChumpDumper
12-21-2006, 07:51 PM
I'm going to open up a few accounts of that nature soon as well, Chump. I think I'm going to go with an online bank, however. They usually seem to have better interest rates.The one I set up with BofA actually has one of the highest rates currently available. It's actually a holdover from MBNA before the latest merger/takeover; I am surprised it's still available, though they are raising minimums for the highest interest tiers to really high levels, etc.

T-Pain
12-21-2006, 07:56 PM
im at chase and they do a good job. i also have an account at Wachovia, but there overdraft fees are outragous. i owe them bastards $114, and its solely on the damn overdraft after paying off the orginal charges. after i pay them off, im sticking with chase

LuvBones
12-21-2006, 11:23 PM
USAA rules over all!

SrA Husker
12-21-2006, 11:41 PM
Throw one more vote in for USAA.

I'm Military, and do everything with the company - Auto Insurance/Car Loan/Checking/Savings/Credit/Renters Insurance/etc.

As far as the banking, the stuff mentioned already is the big stuff to me - the refund of ATM fees is HUGE. I never have to worry about finding the correct ATM and I end up saving $75-100 a year on that alone. As well, my military pay is direct deposited, and the military sends out a notice to all the banks the day before letting them know how much your paycheck will be - USAA treats this as good as cash so I effectively get paid a day earlier than everyone else.

Only having one location worldwide does suck, but here in San Antonio we're lucky. USAA makes up for it by having OUTSTANDING customer service over the phone. For making deposits, they will send you a SASE to send in as mentioned, but you can also go to any UPS Store in the country and they will send in your deposit for free. They've also just started up a new creation where you can scan the front/back of a check into your home computer, and make deposits online from your computer.

USAA's online banking makes it easy to do almost anything you need, also.

If you want to become a member to do more than banking, you're eligible if your parents were ever in the military. A lot of people don't realize that.

The biggest thing overall is this: USAA won't mess around with you. You'll get clear answers to your questions, and no stupid fees like other banks will try to throw on any chance they get. It's what you expect from a bank, but never get anymore.

T-Pain
12-21-2006, 11:43 PM
dumb question but how does USAA tie with the military?

SrA Husker
12-21-2006, 11:44 PM
dumb question but how does USAA tie with the military?

Wikipedia explains it best:

United Services Automobile Association (USAA) is a Fortune 500 financial services company focused on providing banking, investing, and insurance to people that have served in the U.S. military (including the Coast Guard), selected federal agencies, and their families. It was founded in 1922 by a group of U.S. Army officers to self-insure each other when they were unable to secure auto insurance due to the perception that they were a high-risk group. It has since expanded to serve officers, enlisted, and their families a full range of property & casualty insurance, banking, life insurance, and investment services. USAA was one of the pioneers of direct marketing and most of its business is conducted over the Internet or telephone.

For many years, while USAA did not market to anyone outside its niche, they would open bank accounts for qualified customers requesting USAA's services. In July 2006, USAA chose to further focus on its target market, and will not extend new banking services to those who are not eligible to purchase P&C insurance from USAA. They continue to make an exception for residents of Bexar County (San Antonio, TX) and those people who already had a banking relationship with USAA.

T-Pain
12-21-2006, 11:46 PM
Wikipedia explains it best:

United Services Automobile Association (USAA) is a Fortune 500 financial services company focused on providing banking, investing, and insurance to people that have served in the U.S. military (including the Coast Guard), selected federal agencies, and their families. It was founded in 1922 by a group of U.S. Army officers to self-insure each other when they were unable to secure auto insurance due to the perception that they were a high-risk group. It has since expanded to serve officers, enlisted, and their families a full range of property & casualty insurance, banking, life insurance, and investment services. USAA was one of the pioneers of direct marketing and most of its business is conducted over the Internet or telephone.
cool

so you have to be in the military or have kin in the military to have an account with them?

SrA Husker
12-21-2006, 11:49 PM
cool

so you have to be in the military or have kin in the military to have an account with them?

* Active duty officers and enlisted personnel.
* National Guard, Selected Reserve officers and enlisted personnel.
* Officer candidates in commissioning programs.
* Recently retired or separated military personnel.
* Children of USAA members.
* Former USAA members.

For banking, as I edited above, any Bexar County resident can currently open an account even if you don't meet general membership requirements above.

T-Pain
12-21-2006, 11:50 PM
* Active duty officers and enlisted personnel.
* National Guard, Selected Reserve officers and enlisted personnel.
* Officer candidates in commissioning programs.
* Recently retired or separated military personnel.
* Children of USAA members.
* Former USAA members.

For banking, as I edited above, any Bexar County resident can currently open an account even if you don't meet general membership requirements above.
interesting. thanks for the info

ShoogarBear
12-22-2006, 03:23 AM
I now have a BoA credit card due to the MBNA takeover, and I previously had my mortgage through BoA. I also have a Government BoA Visa forced on me.

No issues with them, but then I've almost never had to deal with them in any way except on-line. For all actual banking and investment needs, I've gone elsewhere.

Das Texan
12-22-2006, 03:56 AM
I love my savings account. Its an online account with a bank in New Jersey. Its one of the highest interest rates in the nation currently. From what I have seen within .1-2 % points away from highest in the nation, savings or money market accounts.

Not entirely liquid, but you get your funds into whatever accounts you have linked with them within 3 days generally speaking, which is liquid enough.

never had a problem with BoA, but only have them for one card, which was MBNA.

I do my checking with River City Federal Credit Union. Never had a problem with them, only thing I dont like is that there are not enough ATM branches and they dont have nearly enough stuff online that can be used with various programs that sync it for you.

Havent been tempted enough to switch to anyone else, nobody throws me enough of a bone really.

ChumpDumper
12-22-2006, 04:04 AM
Yeah, I shouldn't have been so paranoid about "foreign" banks but there's something so nice about having the high interest AND brick-and-mortar access, not to mention near-instant liquidity. It's a good enough place to park my money for awhile.

MannyIsGod
12-22-2006, 05:54 AM
Probably not.

PM5K
12-22-2006, 08:06 AM
I keep my money in a shoe box under my bed...

MannyIsGod
12-22-2006, 08:29 AM
A coffee can is better.

PM5K
12-22-2006, 08:36 AM
A coffee can is better.

I like to keep coffee in my coffee cans...