4>0rings
06-14-2011, 11:39 PM
zFCLiij0CBA

Wild Cobra
06-15-2011, 05:45 AM
Of all the stupid ideas.

Wild Cobra
06-15-2011, 05:48 AM
UPDATE: Cedar Falls City Council OKs controversial lock box ordinance (http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/article_64b970a2-9624-11e0-93e5-001cc4c002e0.html)

DarkReign
06-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Citizens of Cedar Falls, it is time to gather the appropriate amount of signatures and have a recall election on every member of council who voted yes.

All it takes is one injunction to halt the application of the law until it can be heard in front of the circuit court and then kicked up the chain of judicial command as it will most certainly be appealed by the losing party.

This will take years. Plenty of time to vote them out.

FromWayDowntown
06-15-2011, 09:39 AM
It's fascinating to me that one member of the council insists that there's no way that this will require that he make a key to his house available, but he's perfectly willing to have that obligation imposed upon others -- at least in some circumstances.

On a gut level, my suspicion is that this will be struck down on constitutional grounds, particularly if authorities use the key to enter a building, find incriminating evidence there, and then prosecute those who use or own that building. That would seem to clearly violate the Fourth Amendment -- almost laughably so. I suppose the City could argue that there's some implied consent through making a key available, but I'm quite sure that the government cannot preemptively mandate consent.

Notwithstanding the possibility of a constitutional challenge, frankly, I think the woman in the red blouse makes terrific points concerning the potential liability when this goes terribly awry and someone is hurt or killed.

FromWayDowntown
06-15-2011, 09:39 AM
n/m

DarkReign
06-15-2011, 10:12 AM
is this standard fire code procedure?

No, not even close. We own two buildings and the only keys we have to have available are the keys to any vehicles in the building in case of fire.

Example: My building is on fire and we have the two work trucks in said building. The fire code requires that those vehicles be unlocked and the keys on the seat so they can be driven out of the burning building by the fire department.

Thats it.