PDA

View Full Version : Starting lineups next year!

Hooks
06-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Who starts and who sits? How do the minutes spread out amongst everybody? How will the lineups change throughout a shortened season? Will Bonner start getting the 30 MPG he deserves?

Agloco
06-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Parker
Hill
Anderson
Duncan
Splitter

Bench
Neal
Manu
Jefferson
Blair
Mahinmi

:lol

Maybe we can turn Hill/Blair into a legit big or productive wing via trade.

lefty
06-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Does it matter?

Bonner is gonna average 30 mpg anyway

DAF86
06-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Starters-

Parker
Ginobili
Anderson
Duncan
Splitter

Bench-

Hill
Neal
Random 7 footer

Don't give up.

Dex
06-15-2011, 11:10 AM
We should just go with the same lineup! It was good enough to win 60 games; the threes just didn't fall in the playoffs. :drunk

</Pop>

DAF86
06-15-2011, 11:12 AM
We should just go with the same lineup! It was good enough to win 60 games; the threes just didn't fall in the playoffs. :drunk

</Pop>

It's not that different from what the Mavs did this year.

TwelveGs210
06-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Bonner is gonna average 30 mpg anyway

You mean PPG, right?

fyatuk
06-15-2011, 11:28 AM
If the team stays the same (doubtful with the hints about trying to build through trade this offseason), it'd probably look something like this:

Starting Lineup:
TP
Manu
Anderson
Duncan
Splitter

Reserves:
Bigs: Bonner, Blair, RJ, Reynolds (or other random 7 foot garbage time prosepct player)
Wings: Neal, Hill, RJ
pg: Hill, random 3rd stringer

So basically, a 10 man rotation of pretty much the same players, just a little reorganized.

Although I expect Blair and either TP or Hill to be traded.

elemento
06-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Parker
Manu
Jefferson
Duncan
Splitter

2nd unit
Hill
Neal
Anderson
Bonner
Blair

Butler and our 29th pick are going to get garbage minutes and Green is going to be waived.

lefty
06-15-2011, 12:26 PM
You mean PPG, right?
Pop is that you?

5in10
06-15-2011, 12:30 PM
From what I've read were looking for an athletic 4, pop and rc seemed to both hint that Duncan and splitter won't play together because there's no floor spacing. So with that...

Parker
Anderson
Jefferson(hopefully gone though, he has lebron 4th mentality, except for the whole game)
Athletic pf
Duncan

Gh3
Manu
Butler/green/Earl Clark(please!)
Blair
Splitter

Bonner and Neal play spot minutes when we need a spark/3pt shooting.

Libri
06-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Parker
Hill
Anderson
Duncan
Splitter

Bench
Neal
Manu
Jefferson
Blair
Mahinmi

Jefferson is not going to like coming off the bench. He might ask for a trade. :stirpot:

jag
06-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Parker
Hill
Anderson
Duncan
Splitter

Bench
Neal
Manu
Jefferson
Blair
Mahinmi

?

TJastal
06-15-2011, 01:15 PM
From the preliminary rumblings from the FO, changes will probably be made. But if I had to start assigning roles right now I would go with

Duncan
Blair (only because of the turd-tower limitation)
Jefferson
Manu
Hill (I think Hill would be more confident as a starter, and in some ways a better fit to the starting lineup than Parker)

Parker (as I've said before Parker would be a great bench scorer. Spurs version of Jason Terry)
Neal
Green/Anderson
Splitter
Bonner

Blake
06-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Anderson

Anderson

Anderson

Anderson

really?

fyatuk
06-15-2011, 01:47 PM
really?

RJ sucktitude factor + 2nd year in Spurs factor + pre-injury Anderson's play = Anderson should be ahead of RJ by the time the season starts.

Anderson is pretty much the same player as RJ, just younger, more eager, and without the proven chokiness.

Blake
06-15-2011, 02:10 PM
RJ sucktitude factor + 2nd year in Spurs factor + pre-injury Anderson's play = Anderson should be ahead of RJ by the time the season starts.

Anderson is pretty much the same player as RJ, just younger, more eager, and without the proven chokiness.

Anderson hasn't proven anything.

even if RJ goes to the bench, what makes you think he'll start ahead of Hill or even Neal?

TJastal
06-15-2011, 02:11 PM

even if RJ goes to the bench, what makes you think he'll start ahead of Hill or even Neal?

or Green even lmao

fyatuk
06-15-2011, 02:26 PM

See above. Anderson has a skill-set that wouldn't require tweaking of the offense for the swap-out to be made. RJ has proven to get worse as the season gets more serious, and last year Pop gave opportunities to a lot of unproven players.

Neal is too much of a black hole to be a regular starter.

Hill will not be on the floor with Manu and Parker much. That's too many people who are best with the ball in their hands. If Hill starts, either Manu or Parker goes to the bench (preferably Manu, since Parker usually plays best early in games/halves, and Manu late).

Splitter hasn't proven anything either, but you're not complaining about how many people expect him to start. It's all subjective and guesswork, so who cares, anyway.

Duncan2177
06-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Duncan
?
?
Manu
Hill

TJastal
06-15-2011, 02:38 PM
It's all about fit IMO.

Parker / Neal bench duo would be much better than Hill / Neal. Just like the Parker / RMJ bench duo was effective in stretches back in '09. And I think can safely conclude that Neal > RMJ.

The Hill / Manu / Jefferson starting lineup is also superior because it means more touches and playmaking from Manu and it also means Richard Jefferson is more active offensively which is always good for his game. Hill also plays with a ton more confidence when he starts which is another big plus. It's a win/win/win all around IMO.

Blake
06-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Splitter hasn't proven anything either, but you're not complaining about how many people expect him to start. It's all subjective and guesswork, so who cares, anyway.

I think Splitter might start out of necessity but I'm not complaining him or about your notion that Anderson will start. I'm just wondering where you are getting this notion from.

If the season goes all 82 games, I very much doubt that JA gets more than 5 starts. It makes absolutely no sense to me anyone would think otherwise.

fyatuk
06-15-2011, 03:03 PM
I think Splitter might start out of necessity but I'm not complaining him or about your notion that Anderson will start. I'm just wondering where you are getting this notion from.

Quite true about Splitter. Unless the Spurs trade/sign someone else, I don't think you have a choice.

If the season goes all 82 games, I very much doubt that JA gets more than 5 starts. It makes absolutely no sense to me anyone would think otherwise.

Why? Before his injury last year, he was playing very well for a rookie. Granted that was early season, but he never really got much of a shot after he recovered. RJ looked to be getting solidly entrenched in the doghouse at the end of the regular season, and especially in the playoffs, so a change at that position wouldn't be unheard of. Like I said, I can't see Hill starting with both Manu and Parker, and I can't see Neal being a regular starter, so Anderson was basically my defacto choice.

I'd honestly like to see the starting lineup of Parker/Hill/Anderson/Duncan/Splitter. I honestly expect to see Parker/Manu/RJ/Timmy/Splitter(/Blair/Bonner all getting starts).

Blake
06-15-2011, 03:09 PM
I honestly expect to see Parker/Manu/RJ/Timmy/Splitter(/Blair/Bonner all getting starts).

that's what I expect to see as well to start the season.

TJastal
06-15-2011, 03:11 PM
There are several obvious (and not so obvious) reasons Anderson won't be starting. The least of which is Anderson is not a small forward and cannot be expected to guard guys like Anthony, Artest, Gerald Wallace, Durant, & so forth with practically zero nba experience under his belt.

Danny Green would have better chance of starting IMHO.

jjktkk
06-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Duncan

Blair

Jefferson

Ginoboli

Parker

It will be a miracle if the FO finds a starting caliber 4 this off-season.

TJastal
06-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Duncan

Blair

Jefferson

Ginoboli

Parker

It will be a miracle if the FO finds a starting caliber 4 this off-season.

After watching 6th man Jason Terry play a key role in winning a chip this year why not have Tony Parker do the same?

Standing pat and doing nothing after a 1st round playoff exit as a #1 seed would be stupid.

fyatuk
06-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Danny Green would have better chance of starting IMHO.

There's no height and a 5lb weight difference between the 2, and Green has a whole 1 year's head start on Anderson and less potential. Anderson was also playing SF a lot before his injury last season. From what I saw, Anderson is a little broader and has a better chance of filling into a stronger body, as well.

Green might be a bottom of the rotation guy. No way he plays ahead of Anderson, even at sf.

jjktkk
06-15-2011, 03:36 PM
After watching 6th man Jason Terry play a key role in winning a chip this year why not have Tony Parker do the same?

Standing pat and doing nothing after a 1st round playoff exit as a #1 seed would be stupid.

And who would be the starting pg if Parker was coming off the bench? And what part of my post said anything with the FO standing pat?

ohmwrecker
06-15-2011, 03:37 PM
lol Danny Green

Anderson gonna be a baller. Like it or not, however, RJ will start.

TJastal
06-15-2011, 03:55 PM
There's no height and a 5lb weight difference between the 2, and Green has a whole 1 year's head start on Anderson and less potential. Anderson was also playing SF a lot before his injury last season. From what I saw, Anderson is a little broader and has a better chance of filling into a stronger body, as well.

Green might be a bottom of the rotation guy. No way he plays ahead of Anderson, even at sf.

I see Green as a Doug Christie type who can play good defense at either wing position, something the spurs can use. I bet he sticks with the team while Anderson is moved. Anderson won't be nearly as good defensively, plus he has motivational issues that are going to drag his career down. Just the fact that he was supposed to be back in early January after his stress fracture and never saw another minute of action because of lack of conditioning (he got fat) pretty much sums up what we can expect in the future.

TJastal
06-15-2011, 04:00 PM
And who would be the starting pg if Parker was coming off the bench? And what part of my post said anything with the FO standing pat?

Didn't I make it clear that Hill & Manu would be sharing the point guard duties? You remember that lineup in '09 that for a month and a half ran roughshod over most of the league?

You must have blocked out the awful memories already.

jjktkk
06-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Didn't I make it clear that Hill & Manu would be sharing the point guard duties? You remember that lineup in '09 that for a month and a half ran roughshod over most of the league?

You must have blocked out the awful memories already.

Finding a pf is more of a priority imo. The trio of Ginoboli, Hill, and Parker will work no matter who starts or comes off the bench.

fyatuk
06-15-2011, 04:21 PM
I see Green as a Doug Christie type who can play good defense at either wing position, something the spurs can use. I bet he sticks with the team while Anderson is moved. Anderson won't be nearly as good defensively, plus he has motivational issues that are going to drag his career down. Just the fact that he was supposed to be back in early January after his stress fracture and never saw another minute of action because of lack of conditioning (he got fat) pretty much sums up what we can expect in the future.

I don't see Green as anything more than bench filler.

I think you're time-frame issue is a bit off. He was expected back mid-January at the earlier. Pop said early February in early January, but he was back on Jan 29th. Basically about 2 weeks after the earliest he could have been back, when most time-frames are 2 week increments (so his would have been 8-10 weeks). He also did play in 20 of the last 36 games, though obviously not nearly the same role.

And yeah, I remember him basically being out of shape was the reason he got sent down to the toros.

I doubt the Spurs are anywhere near ready to write him off.

TJastal
06-15-2011, 04:39 PM
I don't see Green as anything more than bench filler.

I think you're time-frame issue is a bit off. He was expected back mid-January at the earlier. Pop said early February in early January, but he was back on Jan 29th. Basically about 2 weeks after the earliest he could have been back, when most time-frames are 2 week increments (so his would have been 8-10 weeks). He also did play in 20 of the last 36 games, though obviously not nearly the same role.

And yeah, I remember him basically being out of shape was the reason he got sent down to the toros.

I doubt the Spurs are anywhere near ready to write him off.

Danny Green COLLEGE CAREER:

Played all four seasons at North Carolina and averaged 9.4 points on .455 shooting and 4.1 rebounds in 145 games (39 starts)…won more games (123) than any Tar Heel in history…named to the ACC All-Defensive Team, the All-ACC Third Team and the NCAA South Regional Tournament Team…finished his college career as the only player in ACC history to tally at least 1,000 points, 500 rebounds, 250 assists, 150 three-pointers, 150 blocks and 150 steals and is the only player in North Carolina history to record 100 or more blocked shots and three-point field goals…as a senior averaged 13.1 points on .471 (184-391) shooting, including shooting .418 (77-184) from three-point range, 4.7 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1.8 steals and 1.3 blocks in 38 games (all starts) as North Carolina won the 2009 NCAA Championship…scored in double figures in 26 games…was second in the ACC in three-point percentage (.418), sixth in steals (1.8) and 10th in blocks (1.3)…scored a career-high 26 points at Chaminade on Nov. 24…as a junior scored 20 points on two separate occasions, at Kentucky and versus Valparaiso…tallied 18 points, eight rebounds and a career-high seven blocks at Duke…scored 15 points versus Kansas in the Final Four…as a sophomore averaged 5.2 points and 2.8 rebounds in 13.6 minutes per game…as a freshman averaged 7.5 points and 3.7 rebounds in 15.3 minutes per game.

This guy has a lot more potential to develop into something useful than the chubby unmotivated Anderson IMHO.

We'll see who sticks with the team soon enough.

joshdaboss
06-15-2011, 04:42 PM
C: Greg Oden
PF: Tim Duncan
SF: Richard Jefferson
SG: Manu Ginobili
PG: Goran Dragic

TJastal
06-15-2011, 04:44 PM
C: Greg Oden
PF: Tim Duncan
SF: Richard Jefferson
SG: Manu Ginobili
PG: Goran Dragic

Your takes just keep getting more and more retarded by the week.

ohmwrecker
06-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Your takes just keep getting more and more retarded by the week.

I have a feeling that is by design.

Duncan2177
06-15-2011, 05:21 PM
that's what I expect to see as well to start the season.

Gay

Hooks
06-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Anderson played a lot of SF when he did get PT and almost no SG, but usually he guarded whoever was the best SG/SF on the floor, he guarded guys like Granger, LBJ, Tyreke, Gordon, Budinger, Matthews, etc. I remember him guarding all those guys when he did get PT. I think Green and JA are going to share mins at the SF and JA will get some of the mins at SG as well.

DAF86
06-15-2011, 08:38 PM
If RJ is to get meaningful playing time, I think we should call his number a lot more often and in places where he can succeed.

ducks
06-15-2011, 08:39 PM
parker
bosh
splitter
duncan
neal

DPG21920
06-15-2011, 10:04 PM
RJ will not and cannot start IMO. He's done with the Spurs one way or another.

Sean Cagney
06-15-2011, 10:53 PM
BONNER, BONNER, BONNER, BONNER and BONNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ditty
06-16-2011, 12:45 AM

I agree being benched in a pivitol game 6 pretty much ends the era as a Spur. The Spurs will take another bad contract or two, but they may fill needs like a Childress and Warrick from Phoenix, that are bad contracts.

Lol at the guy who thinks Green will be better than Anderson, and is the next Doug Christie, didn't we hear that last year about Temple, and look what happened. Yeah I don't agree with JA as a starter or even playing the 3 right now, but healthy Anderson is miles better than Hill, and Green combined, both offensively and defensivelyand probably as good shooter, and offensive creator than Neal.

timtonymanu
06-16-2011, 12:55 AM

THIS

I just hope a team will take his shitty contract. That leaves us with Anderson being the starter which shouldn't be too bad. If the Grizzlies can get away with starting Sam Young, who's less talented than Anderson, then why not give Anderson a try?

SpursFanInAustin
06-16-2011, 11:08 AM
I agree being benched in a pivitol game 6 pretty much ends the era as a Spur.

Not necessarily. I remember Steve Smith being benched for the entire second half in an elimination game against the Lakers in 2002, and still started the first month of the season of the following year, up until the emergence of Stephen Jackson and Manu Ginobili. Another thing is that Smith's contract expired that next season, making it easy to let him walk. RJ has 3 more years under contract! I do think RJ will start at the 3 at the beginning but if Anderson steps up and plays well and stays healthy, you could have a fight on your hands! I kind of think it was ironic that RJ seemed to play well when Anderson was healthy backing him up, and once JA was out, RJ seemed to get comfortable and not play with a chip on his shoulder like he did the first month of the season. Here's my prediction just to start the season!:

Starting lineup
Parker
Ginobili
Jefferson
Tyrus Thomas (trade McDyess expiring contract w/buyout, Blair, draft pick[s])
Duncan

Bench
Hill
Neal
Anderson
Splitter
Bonner
Kurt Thomas (insurance big)
Butler

Blake
06-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Gay

k, nobody is judging you.

Solid D
06-16-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm going to hold off. The Spurs may make a trade here at the draft or sometime durning the off-season. In fact, it may be an extended off-seson.

Leetonidas
06-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Honestly don't see the Spurs doing much, Pop has made it clear that our team was talented enough and good enough, they just didn't play hard enough. :rolleyes

I'm thinking the starting lineup will be:

Parker
Neal/Anderson
Jefferson
Duncan
Splitter

At least that's what it needs to be. George and Manu running the backcourt for the second unit it good, and Jefferson/Neal/Anderson are all good shooters from 3 to space the floor for Tony/Tim. The bench rotations are what concern me. We have enough talent to trot out a very good starting lineup but the rotations are a problem especially if Bonner is playing big minutes but honestly he's more useful out there than Blair.

I'd like to see the Spurs try and package Hill and Blair with Bonner or someone else to get a decent backup PG and an athletic big back.

Duncan2177
06-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Honestly don't see the Spurs doing much, Pop has made it clear that our team was talented enough and good enough, they just didn't play hard enough. :rolleyes

I'm thinking the starting lineup will be:

Parker
Neal/Anderson
Jefferson
Duncan
Splitter

At least that's what it needs to be. George and Manu running the backcourt for the second unit it good, and Jefferson/Neal/Anderson are all good shooters from 3 to space the floor for Tony/Tim. The bench rotations are what concern me. We have enough talent to trot out a very good starting lineup but the rotations are a problem especially if Bonner is playing big minutes but honestly he's more useful out there than Blair.

I'd like to see the Spurs try and package Hill and Blair with Bonner or someone else to get a decent backup PG and an athletic big back.

Well then Pop is one delusional motherfucker. The spurs need size

BurningMoNk
06-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Parker
Manu
Anderson
Duncan
Splitter

Bench:
Hill
Neal
Jefferson
Blair
Butler

DPG21920
06-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Solid D is correct. It's really an exercise in futility to guess right now because there are so many question marks surrounding the team and league.

TD 21
06-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Not necessarily. I remember Steve Smith being benched for the entire second half in an elimination game against the Lakers in 2002, and still started the first month of the season of the following year, up until the emergence of Stephen Jackson and Manu Ginobili. Another thing is that Smith's contract expired that next season, making it easy to let him walk. RJ has 3 more years under contract! I do think RJ will start at the 3 at the beginning but if Anderson steps up and plays well and stays healthy, you could have a fight on your hands! I kind of think it was ironic that RJ seemed to play well when Anderson was healthy backing him up, and once JA was out, RJ seemed to get comfortable and not play with a chip on his shoulder like he did the first month of the season. Here's my prediction just to start the season!:

Starting lineup
Parker
Ginobili
Jefferson
Tyrus Thomas (trade McDyess expiring contract w/buyout, Blair, draft pick[s])
Duncan

Bench
Hill
Neal
Anderson
Splitter
Bonner
Kurt Thomas (insurance big)
Butler

As I detailed in the Buford thread a few days ago, I suspect if they're to trade for a big, it'll be Thomas and it'll be by or during the draft. I was thinking then McDyess, Blair and Anderson for Thomas. Now I'm thinking McDyess, Blair, Green and the 29th pick for Thomas.

I could see the Spurs pursuing Kurt Thomas, to serve as a mentor to Tyrus. But he played well last season, so the Bulls will probably want to re-sign him. In that case, I could see the Spurs turning to Shelden Williams. He's like a younger, poor man's version of Kurt.

On the wings, presumably they'll attempt to trade Jefferson. If that fails, Anderson could challenge for the starting position. They could bring in a defensive minded wing or two to compete with Butler for a roster spot. At the point, if one of the point guard's projected to be drafted is available at 59, they could draft them. If not, they'll probably turn to the D-League.

EricD
06-16-2011, 11:13 PM
As I detailed in the Buford thread a few days ago, I suspect if they're to trade for a big, it'll be Thomas and it'll be by or during the draft. I was thinking then McDyess, Blair and Anderson for Thomas. Now I'm thinking McDyess, Blair, Green and the 29th pick for Thomas.

I could see the Spurs pursuing Kurt Thomas, to serve as a mentor to Tyrus. But he played well last season, so the Bulls will probably want to re-sign him. In that case, I could see the Spurs turning to Shelden Williams. He's like a younger, poor man's version of Kurt.

On the wings, presumably they'll attempt to trade Jefferson. If that fails, Anderson could challenge for the starting position. They could bring in a defensive minded wing or two to compete with Butler for a roster spot. At the point, if one of the point guard's projected to be drafted is available at 59, they could draft them. If not, they'll probably turn to the D-League.

Kurt Thomas?

Shelden Williams?

:lmao

TD 21
06-16-2011, 11:33 PM
Kurt Thomas?

Shelden Williams?

:lmao

We're talking fifth big, which means a minimum type. If they trade for T. Thomas, it would be Duncan, Thomas, Bonner and Splitter, making up the big rotation. K. Thomas or Williams would be an ideal (realistic) fifth big, because they have girth, can play both big positions, play solid post defense, rebound at a high rate and make an occasional mid range jumper. If they don't make a trade for a big and Blair remains, then obviously it makes sense to go with a different type of fifth big.

Ghazi
06-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Mavs fans never cease to amaze. I continue to be amazed at how many people buy into this team season after season, even though they've played basically the same season for ten straight and come up well short of the finish line in all but one and even in that season, they still came up short, just not well short.

When will people accept that no team with Nowitzki as their best player is going to win a championship? It's been made abundantly clear over the past decade. I'm not "trolling" or "hating" or "butthurt", I'm just not going to ignore a decade's worth of evidence just because the Mavs are in the midst of a torrid stretch in their typical fools-gold regular season.

I get that, as a fan, it's tough not to get excited and I'm not trying to put a damper on what they're doing, I'm just being a realist. Why get your hopes up annually? Honestly, I'm surprised you guys aren't like Red Sox fans pre '04 by now. I'm genuinely surprised you're not cynics.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Solid D
06-17-2011, 12:14 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Yeah, he sort of gets himself in trouble with some of his predictions. At least he has convictions.

eric365
06-17-2011, 07:55 AM
Parker
Anderson
Jefferson
Whoever we get with Dice's contract
Duncan

Bench :
Manu
Hill
Splitter
Novak
Bonner
Blair

With a 10 games try of Splitter in the starting lineup at the beginning of the season