PDA

View Full Version : LOL @ 1984 NBA Draft being Shown on NBATV

Ashy Larry
06-15-2011, 11:06 AM
with the second pick in the 1984 NBA Draft, the Portland Trailblazers select .......

http://a.espncdn.com/media/pg2/2001/0927/photo/s_bowie_i.jpg

:depressed

The Gemini Method
06-15-2011, 11:12 AM
With 2003...one of the best drafts evar.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-15-2011, 11:38 AM
With 2003...one of the best drafts evar.

Darko rang first. That will always be.

The Gemini Method
06-15-2011, 11:42 AM
True. Darko rangPERIOD.

Isitjustme?
06-15-2011, 11:48 AM
woWqSmichOo

lefty
06-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Tlong, get in here!

Greatest draft lass ever

benefactor
06-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Harsh. It's like when ESPN re-runs the Bills/Oilers playoff game on their "NFL's Greatest Games" show. They've actually shown it quite a few times...and I email them every time they do it.

PM5K
06-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Hey, the Blazers already had a 2 guard :)

Ashy Larry
06-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Hey, the Blazers already had a 2 guard :)

:lol

lefty
06-15-2011, 01:45 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/gallery/2011/05/17/01_sam_bowie_gal_640.jpghttp://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2010/11/portlandbowie.jpg

And then

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/decadebusts4.jpg

jjktkk
06-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Tlong's Blazers, legends on draft day. :lol

Amaso
06-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Didn't the Rockets try or have a potential deal/rumor that they were going after the 3rd pick in that draft as well? I think I've seen people say that on the Rockets forums.

MJ/Olajuwon

nba=fukkkked

EDIT: Well actually, I'm not sure how many more rings MJ would've won had he been paired with Olajuwon. I still think the Celtics/Lakers had far more depth than if the Rockets and that means the Rockets would've probably only won 1 or 2 rings at MOST in the 80s, and MJ won every year in the 90s he played except once.

lefty
06-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Didn't the Rockets try or have a potential deal/rumor that they were going after the 3rd pick in that draft as well? I think I've seen people say that on the Rockets forums.

MJ/Olajuwon

nba=fukkkked
:spless:

ginobili's bald spot
06-15-2011, 03:21 PM
lol Bowie

lol oden

lol walton

lol 2,379 season ending injuries every year.

dunkman
06-15-2011, 04:44 PM
woWqSmichOo

He will never play for the Serbian NT again. :lol

baseline bum
06-15-2011, 04:47 PM
The 1996 draft changed the NBA.

The 2001 draft changed it back though.

djohn2oo8
06-15-2011, 04:49 PM

MJ/Olajuwon

nba=fukkkked

EDIT: Well actually, I'm not sure how many more rings MJ would've won had he been paired with Olajuwon. I still think the Celtics/Lakers had far more depth than if the Rockets and that means the Rockets would've probably only won 1 or 2 rings at MOST in the 80s, and MJ won every year in the 90s he played except once.

Yeah, the deal was going to include Sampson for the #3 pick

PGDynasty24
06-15-2011, 05:48 PM
96,03 and 84 are def the best 3 Drafts Ever. In No particular order

Venti Quattro
06-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Len Bias was drafted in 84 right?

Killakobe81
06-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Good gosh what crappy luck ... how do you end up with Bowie when hakeem, MJ and other studs are in play?

Blazers = cursed!!!

But maybe the Mavs breakthrough will give ripcity hope. They have a billionaire owner too ...

dirk4mvp
06-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Is Ashy Larry being serious with his sig? I'm not even pulling a studman69, but that's fucking gross :vomit:

tlongII
06-15-2011, 06:08 PM
:flipoff

Killakobe81
06-15-2011, 06:10 PM

Tlong!!! Is back!!!!!

So what moves will the blazers make to break the 1st round jinx?

Venti Quattro
06-15-2011, 06:10 PM

LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLM AOLMAO :lmao

Lefty's understudy
06-15-2011, 06:22 PM
It's hilarious how Portland could have Jordan but they drafted Bowie instead. See Jordan was really good and Bowie wasn't so its soooooooooooo funny :rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin: lmao:lmao:lmao:lol:lol:lol

Lefty's understudy
06-15-2011, 06:22 PM
It's hilarious how Portland could have had Jordan but they drafted Bowie instead. See Jordan was really good and Bowie wasn't! Omg soooooooooooo funny :rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin: lmao:lmao:lmao:lol:lol:lol

JoeTait75
06-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Len Bias was drafted in 84 right?

'86. He was the second overall pick, Chris Washburn was third.

Brad Daugherty was the top pick. Cavaliers traded the immortal Roy Hinson to the 76ers for the pick.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-15-2011, 08:48 PM
96,03 and 84 are def the best 3 Drafts Ever. In No particular order
gr8 analysis bro

pass1st
06-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Was it true Rockets could have traded away Sampson for the #2 pick? Wonder how that would have played out.

djohn2oo8
06-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Was it true Rockets could have traded away Sampson for the #2 pick? Wonder how that would have played out.

Yes, they had TWO chances to get MJ. Once in 84, and once in 86.

Forget the sixth championship.

Michael Jordan should be going for an eighth or ninth title by now. He should be challenging the records of Bill Russell's Boston Celtics (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/teams/celtics/).
He should be part of the greatest one-two punch in NBA history . . . with Hakeem Olajuwon.

That was the real mistake of the 1984 draft. It has long been hung on the Portland Trail Blazers (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/teams/trail.blazers/) for selecting Sam Bowie with the No. 2 pick instead of Jordan.

"[Jordan] was good," Jack Ramsay, the then-Portland coach recalled in a rather obvious description. "I saw him on that [1984] Olympic team. My Portland team, our rookies and free agents, scrimmaged against them. Everybody says now they knew, 'Oh, yeah,' but I'll tell you no one predicted this."

No one predicted Jordan would become arguably the greatest player in NBA history. A shooting guard carrying a team to the NBA title had never happened before and was never even imagined -- especially by the Bulls.
"Michael is a very good offensive player but not an overpowering one," Rod Thorn, then the Bulls' GM, said after drafting Jordan. "He's not the kind of guy who will single-handedly turn around a franchise, and I'd never ask him to do that."

Which may have been the best break the Bulls ever had. Because if the Rockets had an idea -- if anyone had -- some things would not have been the same. Kids would be wearing Rockets jerseys, and Al Capone would still be Chicago's most famous citizen.

The 1984 season was the last in which the NBA used a coin flip between the worst Eastern and Western Conference teams to determine the No. 1 draft pick. The lottery began in 1985 to eliminate the longstanding practice of teams tanking games down the stretch to improve their draft position or get a shot at the coin flip.

The Rockets, who had taken star center Ralph Sampson first in 1983, lost 17 of their last 20 to settle into the worst record in the West.
The Pacers, who had traded their 1984 No. 1 pick to Portland several years before for center Tom Owens, held off the Bulls, who lost 14 of their last 15. Had the Pacers not made the trade, they would have been in position to pick Jordan. And they would not have taken Bowie at No. 2. Portland did, for reasons that have been explained many times.
The Blazers had drafted guard Clyde Drexler the year before. He was nearly as highly regarded as Jordan in college, and veteran shooting guard Jim Paxson was All-NBA Second Team that season.

"You thought [Jordan] was going to be a good player," Ramsay said, "but we were good at 'two' guard. Our scouts thought highly of Bowie. We gave him a physical exam. The doctors said he was fine, but that turned out not to be the case."

If Hakeem Olajuwon was the certain No. 1 pick coming out of the University of Houston after three Final Four appearances, the other given was Portland's desire for a center. The Blazers were a playoff team, but hadn't been in serious contention since Bill Walton's injuries ended the run of Portland's 1977 championship team.

"Jack Ramsay did what he had to do for his team," said Bill Fitch, who was then coaching the Rockets. "Sam Bowie was a special player. I never saw a center pass the ball any better than Sam."

Another possibility, however, was Sampson, the 1984 Rookie of the Year who averaged more than 20 points his first two seasons. What if Houston had selected Olajuwon with the No. 1 pick and then traded Sampson for the No. 2 pick and used it to select Jordan? The Rockets would have had the best inside and outside players of their era.

"We had to have a center," Ramsay said. "We would have done that."
If only people had thought Jordan was better.

"There was a time when we felt there was a chance to make a trade with Chicago with Sampson for Jordan," Fitch said. "But nothing was ever done."
That was after the 1985-86 season. The thinking then was the deal might be too one-sided -- for the Rockets.

Sampson was 7-foot-4 and a star who'd help lead the Rockets to the Finals in 1986, where they lost in six games to one of the great Celtics teams. The belief was Houston would succeed Boston and the Lakers as the NBA's powerhouse.
"Ralph was a big commodity," Fitch recalled, "and Jordan really hadn't come into his own."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/news/2001/08/02/sayitaintso_rockets/

Biggest what if ever

pass1st
06-16-2011, 12:10 AM
Yeah, I could see it go either way. MJs ego would make him leave Rockets/kick out Dream ala Kobe or they would get along completely and have a starting lineup that would probably outplay the 2001 Lakers.