PDA

View Full Version : Lack of City Hall Experience all right

MannyIsGod
06-11-2005, 12:22 AM
The thing is, I don't think it's a bad thing.

Ken Rodriguez: Taking charge before taking an oath: Phil pushes MLS out Web Posted: 06/10/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News Phil Hardberger may go down as the first mayor in city history to start leading before taking office.

On Wednesday, hours removed from a bruising runoff election victory, Hardberger was asked what he would say to Major League Soccer officials.

"Goodbye," Hardberger said. "That's what I would tell MLS."

Nine days before his swearing-in at City Hall, Hardberger swung open the door for pro soccer's exit. Hours later, MLS ran right through it.

If that's not getting things done in a hurry, I don't know what is.

"Leadership is coming," Hardberger promised on the campaign trail.

"Leadership is here," Hardberger declared in his victory speech.

For better or worse, a new brand of leadership has arrived.

Hardberger's style will be blunt, edgy, decisive. He won't be butter-smooth from the bully pulpit; he'll be sandpaper-rough.

County Judge Nelson Wolff laughed when I asked about Hardberger's first act as mayor-elect — chasing off pro soccer.

"Well, he's taken one issue off the table, hasn't he," Wolff said. "I think you are going to see a huge difference in the mayor's office."

Hardberger promises change — changes that will surprise, if not stun, City Hall watchers. For example:

New meeting times.

"I'm going to change the whole structure of the way we run City Council meetings. Instead of starting at 1 o'clock, we'll start at 9 a.m. Instead of finishing at 1 in the morning, we'll stop at 7 in the evening."

New priorities on Thursday.

"The meetings usually begin at 1 with the light stuff. Ceremonial things. Awards. Certificates. I want to begin with the hardest questions we have, the ones that will take the most brain power."

New office hours.

Hardberger says he will spend less time at City Hall than mayor Ed Garza, who routinely begins the day at 8:30 a.m. and finishes around midnight.

"I do believe you ought to be able to do your normal work duties in normal work hours. I will certainly have a lot of evening duties. But they won't be in my office going through paperwork. I will be where a mayor needs to be in the evening — at whatever function happens to be going on."

Expect Hardberger to relate differently to Wolff than Garza, who has a distant, sometimes cool relationship with the county judge. Hardberger and Wolff are good friends, who shared ideas and vision for 90 minutes Thursday morning.

"Nelson is a very valuable asset to this city," Hardberger says. "I think there will be a closer working relationship between the mayor and county judge than at any time in the history of San Antonio."

New leadership? Hardberger won't hesitate to torpedo projects Garza initiated.

In his final days in office, Garza had been fighting an unpopular battle to attract an MLS team. He'd been trying to get 5,000 season tickets sold, trying to sell the idea that a soccer tenant for the Alamodome is better than no tenant at all.

Then, boom. One day after Hardberger is elected, soccer is doomed.

I don't know if the door hit MLS commissioner Don Garber on the way out, but the guy sure felt some pain.

Garber criticized changes in a proposed lease agreement with the city. But he also pointed his finger squarely at Hardberger, who had voiced opposition to MLS for some time.

"This has been changed at the 12th hour due to politics, and it is appalling," Garber told Express-News sports writer Tom Orsborn. "We wish the new mayor luck."

Garber is the kind of enemy a mayor in this not-ready-for-soccer town needs. As Garber howled, thousands cheered.

In some quarters, that makes Hardberger an instant success.

Anyone who can save the city from pro soccer and an Alamodome giveaway is doing something right.

No telling how tough Hardberger will be on other issues facing the city. But the back of Garber's pants offers one clue.

Hardberger, he's got a pretty strong kick.

blaze89
06-11-2005, 12:57 AM
I read that at lunch......it's pretty much a no brainer and a great opportunity to get some positive vibes from the public. His ass would have been kicked if he didn't do anything, since he publicly said he was against the proposal.

From what I know, only 1000 season tix was sold. When was the deadline to hit 5000?

scott
06-11-2005, 02:34 AM
On a side note... Ken Rodriquez is such a horrible writer... how did this guy ever get a job in print media, let alone MOVE UP within the E-N?

Clandestino
06-11-2005, 02:45 AM
ken sucks ass..

MannyIsGod
06-11-2005, 10:45 AM
On a side note... Ken Rodriquez is such a horrible writer... how did this guy ever get a job in print media, let alone MOVE UP within the E-N?
Have you seen the quality of ALL their writers? They're all pretty bad for the most part.

JoeChalupa
06-12-2005, 10:07 AM
I like Ken.