PDA

View Full Version : Mavs are lucky

chazley
06-16-2011, 08:35 PM
They didn't play us this year. We would've beaten their asses AGAIN. Of course, we got matched up against the only team who could beat us in a 7 game series in the league, the ONLY playoff team that pounded it down low on EVERY possession.

Next year, we will be back.

Dex
06-16-2011, 08:54 PM
2011*

mavsfan1000
06-16-2011, 08:56 PM
1999*

Proxy
06-16-2011, 09:04 PM

ohmwrecker
06-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Chazley!

chazley
06-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Can we go ahead and qualify this as the luckiest title of all time?

Lebron decides to go from looking like Jordan against Chicago to looking like Shawn Marion's equal against the Mavs (due to the unbelievably dumb decision to put him on Terry). Lakers, who knows what the fuck happened to them. Westbrook decides to gift the Mavs 5 extra possessions per game and miss every shot. They dodge the only two teams in the West who would've crushed them: Spurs/Grizzlies. Of course, they do all this without Caron Butler, which worked wonders for that team because Marion is the WAY better fit and makes them an elite defensive team.

chazley
06-16-2011, 09:18 PM
The Grizzlies should've won it all this year. Only one team could beat them: the Thunder... and it took them 7 games.

Nathan89
06-16-2011, 09:31 PM
They didn't play us this year. We would've beaten their asses AGAIN. Of course, we got matched up against the only team who could beat us in a 7 game series in the league, the ONLY playoff team that pounded it down low on EVERY possession.

Barring an unexpected injury to the great Bonner we will be back.

mFFL03
06-16-2011, 09:33 PM
this is so funny I just had some wine with my steak

YODA
06-16-2011, 09:39 PM

Dam people! Cant you take a lose. If it were to be anyone else to win, I would want a Texas Team. Give Dallas Props, they did it as a team. Wasnt like they had an easy schedule either. Lakers..Thuder...Heat. Im not gonna make no excuses for the Spurs and the MAvs deserve some props for doing it. They played as a team with some old school D. Granted I have no love for Terry or Cuban, the rest of the team did there part. Dirk played like an MVP. Well Deserved MAvs! Most of the people here really supported the Mavs. Some people just dont get it. Its a Texas Thing.

Ill still hate u next year too. =)
One more note. I saw a t-shirt in marget square that seemed kinda ironic.
Its said. "I support 2 basketball teams. The Spurs and anyone who beats the Mavericks."

I saw this like 3 days ago and thought How ironic it would be to have this shirt on.

ohmwrecker
06-16-2011, 09:42 PM
You would be a lot funnier if you posted in Yoda-speak.

Sean Cagney
06-16-2011, 09:46 PM

True, but alot of Mavs fans were doing just this in 07 and some still do (Terry did as well). I guess I get what he is doing here.

chazley
06-17-2011, 05:27 AM

Why is it funny? We beat the Mavs in 2010 as a 7th seed, and for all the talk about how much Chandler brought to your team, the 2011 Spurs were way better than the 2010 Spurs. The top two teams you played played at like 50% of what they're capable of. As a Mavs fan, you should agree with me (2007 talked about alot among Mavs fans). However, in 2007, you guys had a sample size of one series where you beat us because of one of the dumbest basketball plays in history (Manu foul on Dirk), so it was kind of moot.

frodo
06-17-2011, 06:25 AM
yeah the same could be said for da 07' mavs as well

joshdaboss
06-17-2011, 06:30 AM
Why is it funny? We beat the Mavs in 2010 as a 7th seed, and for all the talk about how much Chandler brought to your team, the 2011 Spurs were way better than the 2010 Spurs. The top two teams you played played at like 50% of what they're capable of. As a Mavs fan, you should agree with me (2007 talked about alot among Mavs fans). However, in 2007, you guys had a sample size of one series where you beat us because of one of the dumbest basketball plays in history (Manu foul on Dirk), so it was kind of moot.

Don't forget Dirk was going to the line over 20 times in some of those games. Mavs didn't beat the Spurs that year, it was the referees, clearly. It becomes even more apparent when, after Dirk hit the free throw on the and1 to tie the game, Spurs miss a shot, Duncan is there for a wide-open putback, he gets hacked, misses it, no foul is called, they go to overtime and lose.

spursfan09
06-17-2011, 08:27 AM
This is like the argument that the Mavs would have beat the Spurs in 2007 if they met. But its irrelevant becuase Mavs should have beat the freaken 8 seed, just like the Spurs should have beat the freaken 8 seed this year.

So this argument is stupid.

Greg Oden
06-17-2011, 12:20 PM
joshdaboss > chazley

DubMcDub
06-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Good thread. Lots of quality insight here. A+.

mavsfan1000
06-17-2011, 12:23 PM
This is like the argument that the Mavs would have beat the Spurs in 2007 if they met. But its irrelevant becuase Mavs should have beat the freaken 8 seed, just like the Spurs should have beat the freaken 8 seed this year.

So this argument is stupid.
The Warriors were not the usual team. They were on fire to end the regular season. Scoring a ton on teams. We lost Dampier right before the playoffs. Not that he could keep up with the Warriors anyway due to the matchups. They exposed our centers lack of speed, lack of post game, and inability to guard the perimeter. Avery panicked and started Devean George. :lol

Budkin
06-17-2011, 12:57 PM
I think they would have beaten us. Dirk and Terry were playing out of their minds. But yeah like 2007 we'll never know.

Leetonidas
06-17-2011, 01:01 PM
The Warriors were not the usual team. They were on fire to end the regular season. Scoring a ton on teams. We lost Dampier right before the playoffs. Not that he could keep up with the Warriors anyway due to the matchups. They exposed our centers lack of speed, lack of post game, and inability to guard the perimeter. Avery panicked and started Devean George. :lol

You mean Stephen Jackson checked Dirk and Baron Davis rapedPERIOD.

peacemaker885
06-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Lucky, just good or whatever - it takes a lot of everything to do what they did.

spursfan09
06-17-2011, 01:34 PM

Totally get it!

Sometimes a team just don't match up well at all.

sribb43
06-17-2011, 01:39 PM
What a butthurt little bitch. I would have been happy with any team winning the title this years sans Boston, LA or MIA

leemajors
06-17-2011, 01:58 PM
better lucky than good.

Cessation
06-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Chazley trolling mavfan for a change, certainly enough of them upstairs, since they got that ring.

blizz
06-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Of course, we got matched up against the only team who could beat us in a 7 game series in the league

We said that when the Suns bounced us. That it was just a bad match up and they were the only team that could beat us. In our hay day, we never said shit like that cuz we never had that problem. It's going to be that way from now on. We can't and shouldn't have to worry about match ups, we should be able to beat anyone, especially as a #1 seed. We're simply not that good anymore and sadly, probably never will be.

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Sweeping the defending champion Lakers - four games to none - isn't "luck."

Greg Oden
06-17-2011, 06:26 PM
You mean Stephen Jackson checked Dirk with 2 help defenders coming every time Dirk dribbled the ball and Baron Davis rapedPERIOD.

fify, to more accurately depict the scenario, tbh.

chazley
06-17-2011, 07:06 PM

Mavs aren't winning a series against the 08/09/10 Lakers, let alone sweeping them. Something was off with the Lakers the entire year, and everyone saw it.

chazley
06-17-2011, 07:15 PM
We said that when the Suns bounced us. That it was just a bad match up and they were the only team that could beat us. In our hay day, we never said shit like that cuz we never had that problem. It's going to be that way from now on. We can't and shouldn't have to worry about match ups, we should be able to beat anyone, especially as a #1 seed. We're simply not that good anymore and sadly, probably never will be.

No, I think the Suns just whooped our ass like the Grizzles did. People don't realize how much luck factors into winning championships. If we don't face the Suns in 2010, we have a great chance. If we don't face the Grizzlies round one, we probably win a championship.

The Mavs are lucky we weren't there to expose their asses. We annihilated them last year without a healthy Tony, Gary Neal, and a constantly changing lineup at the end of the season.

We were the second best team in the West this season, behind the Grizzlies. The Mavs were third, Thunder fourth, and Lakers fifth. The Thunder just happened to be built EXACTLY the way a team should be built to beat the Grizzlies, and it still took them 7 games.

The NBA has never been like this, to my knowledge. You have so many teams at the top with different advantages over each other, and the Mavs miraculously avoided all of their bad matchups (Spurs/Grizzles/Chicago), any of which would've spanked the Mavs back to the offseason.

For the past 3 offseasons, Spurs fans have consistently grown stronger in their opinions that we should blow the Spurs up. Funny thing is, we're better now than we were in 2008.

To say that any team doesn't worry about matchups is just plain stupid.

ecksrobecks
06-17-2011, 10:36 PM
portland, LA, OKC, and Miami are all better than the grizzlies, lol

chazley
06-18-2011, 04:55 AM
portland, LA, OKC, and Miami are all better than the grizzlies, lol

It's not about who's better overall, it's about matchups. Spurs/Grizzles matched up the best against the Mavs, and they got to skip both teams.

I beg to differ, however, that any of the teams listed except Miami could beat the Grizzles in a 7 game series. The Thunder were the only team capable of beating them, because that team was BUILT to stop the Lakers huge front line, but in the end, their team was set up perfectly on defense and offense to take advantage of the Grizzles few weaknesses... and it still took a game 7 win on their home court.

I'm still wondering what the hell happened to both L.A. and Miami against the Mavs though. I truly hope Mavs fans savor the luckiest title of all time, because not only will it be their last one for a VERY long time (few terrible contracts, zero young talent), it was also the biggest FLUKE championship ever (game 2 Finals can be described as nothing more than a one in a million shot, and Lebron not showing up for 4 out of 6 games/Wade injury).

TJastal
06-18-2011, 08:44 AM
No, I think the Suns just whooped our ass like the Grizzles did. People don't realize how much luck factors into winning championships. If we don't face the Suns in 2010, we have a great chance. If we don't face the Grizzlies round one, we probably win a championship.

The Mavs are lucky we weren't there to expose their asses. We annihilated them last year without a healthy Tony, Gary Neal, and a constantly changing lineup at the end of the season.

We were the second best team in the West this season, behind the Grizzlies. The Mavs were third, Thunder fourth, and Lakers fifth. The Thunder just happened to be built EXACTLY the way a team should be built to beat the Grizzlies, and it still took them 7 games.

The NBA has never been like this, to my knowledge. You have so many teams at the top with different advantages over each other, and the Mavs miraculously avoided all of their bad matchups (Spurs/Grizzles/Chicago), any of which would've spanked the Mavs back to the offseason.

For the past 3 offseasons, Spurs fans have consistently grown stronger in their opinions that we should blow the Spurs up. Funny thing is, we're better now than we were in 2008.

To say that any team doesn't worry about matchups is just plain stupid.

Grizz would have gotten steamrolled by the mavericks, there's a reason JJ Barea said they were hoping the grizz to win and advance to the WCF.

The grizz have nobody that would have matched up well with Dirk, neither Gasol or Randolph are comfortable leaving the paint, & the only mobile defender they have (Arthur) would have been too small to contain him in the low block. Dirk would have went off even harder on the grizz than he did against the thunder where he scored 40+ twice.

spurs10
06-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Jason Terry said something similar to the OP in 2007. The old, we would have beat the champs , if we'd gotten out of the 1st round. That's why they call it the the play-offs, you have to get out of the 1st round before you move on!!
It's was weak when he said it then and it's a weak hypothesis today.....

Proxy
06-18-2011, 05:24 PM

Don't act like LA was at full strength, with Pau going through an engagement break up after finding out his own teammate was fucking his girl.

The Mavs were most definitely lucky with the LA series.... nothing wrong with that, since every title run involves luck. Just don't act like LA was at full repeat title strength.

chazley
06-19-2011, 03:41 AM
Jason Terry said something similar to the OP in 2007. The old, we would have beat the champs , if we'd gotten out of the 1st round. That's why they call it the the play-offs, you have to get out of the 1st round before you move on!!
It's was weak when he said it then and it's a weak hypothesis today.....

Uhhh no... I didn't say we should've won the championship. I said the Mavs are lucky they didn't have to face us or Memphis big difference.

chazley
06-19-2011, 03:47 AM
Grizz would have gotten steamrolled by the mavericks, there's a reason JJ Barea said they were hoping the grizz to win and advance to the WCF.

The grizz have nobody that would have matched up well with Dirk, neither Gasol or Randolph are comfortable leaving the paint, & the only mobile defender they have (Arthur) would have been too small to contain him in the low block. Dirk would have went off even harder on the grizz than he did against the thunder where he scored 40+ twice.

Yea cause Gasol/Randolph wouldn't have absolutely massacred Dirk on the defensive end/gotten him in foul trouble.

JJ Barea is a confirmed dumbass. The Grizzlies match up perfectly against the Mavs. Dirk can't hide on Joel Anthony or Haslem against the Grizzlies. He's still one of the worst defensive 7 footers of all time. It's easy to crush on the offensive end when u get to only play half of the game.

Ghazi
06-19-2011, 03:50 AM
so mad :lmao :lmao

chazley
06-19-2011, 03:57 AM
so mad :lmao :lmao

Nah, just bitter the third best team in the West won a NBA championship.

Ghazi
06-19-2011, 04:52 AM

:lobt2:

frodo
06-19-2011, 05:07 AM
at least we swept the defending champs in the 2nd rd, in the finals we defeated the heat & their vaunted big three. the mavs really be lucky this season that they didn't have to face spurs or the rockets (#2 seed :lol) in the west, instead they got portland and OKC who were relatively inexperienced in the playoffs.

winning da championship should always involve a bit of luck, however. if the mavs were "lucky" to win it this year the same could be said for the 07' spurs as well.

hehateme
06-19-2011, 08:52 AM

Tell me how that best record/second best team (as you say it) in the West schtick worked out for you? Oh thats right...not very good. Congrats on the best regular season record trophy though.

BTW your thoughts on Spurs actually beating the Lakers and/or anyone coming out of the East for a championship is the best thing I've heard from a mentally retarded doughboy.

spurs10
06-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Uhhh no... I didn't say we should've won the championship. I said the Mavs are lucky they didn't have to face us or Memphis big difference.
I know what you mean, however Terry didn't say they would have won the championship, only that they would have beat the team that did. At the end of the day Cuban got his money's worth....for once. The post season couldn't have been worse.
:flag::flag::flag::flag:

mavsfan1000
06-19-2011, 01:20 PM
How does my Dirk taste?

spurs10
06-19-2011, 02:16 PM
How's that class act Stevenson doing? They probably had plenty of dirk for him to taste in county jail.

daslicer
06-19-2011, 03:41 PM
I give the mavs credit considering they really had to earn their title nothing was easy. They had pretty hard path to win the title. Also they swept the Lakers which isn't easy to do. I don't know if this current spurs squad could have even won the series against the lakers considering every time since '04 Pop gets mindfucked by Phill. Pop has too much inferiority when coaching against Phill that he falls apart and that trickle downs to the team. On the bright side lol Pop will now coach well against the Lakers since he is dealing with his protege who is a poor man's version of himself.

Texas Chili Dog
06-19-2011, 03:48 PM
:lol yep, and as it has been mentioned in here already...the Mavs can say the exact same thing from 2007. The Warriors were the only team that could beat the Mavs. Dallas would have destroyed any other team in the playoffs from either conference.

And also, the 2007 Mavs would have beat the shit out of the 2011 Spurs.

spurs10
06-19-2011, 04:00 PM
:lol yep, and as it has been mentioned in here already...the Mavs can say the exact same thing from 2007. The Warriors were the only team that could beat the Mavs. Dallas would have destroyed any other team in the playoffs from either conference.

Would've, could've, should've........

Texas Chili Dog
06-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Would've, could've, should've........

You might want to tell that to the OP. :lol

Budkin
06-19-2011, 05:09 PM
They crushed the Lakers and beat LeHeat. They fucking earned that shit all the way.

chazley
06-19-2011, 11:00 PM

Comparing the 2007 Spurs championship to the 2011 Mavs championship is stupid. If Manu doesn't commit the stupidest foul in the history of playoff basketball, we beat them in 2006, and there's no precedent for them being able to beat us in a 7 game series. The terrible 2010 Spurs still kicked the 2010 Mavs ass, because Hill is the perfect defensive player against Jason Kidd. While the 2011 Mavs were obviously alot better than the 2010 version, so were the 2011 Spurs versus the 2010 Spurs.

2007 Mavs were a flawed team, great in the regular season with amazing offense, but nothing more than a middle of the pack defense. The 2011 Spurs, with Duncan on the floor, were a top 5 defense all season long (they were 3rd at some point late in the season).

The two biggest mistakes that the 2011 Spurs made were we stopped playing fast and we stopped starting Blair. We started slowing it down plus starting Dice, and it killed RJ and Blair's production and Duncan couldn't pick up the slack.

chazley
06-19-2011, 11:02 PM
They crushed the Lakers and beat LeHeat. They fucking earned that shit all the way.

Lakers were terrible pretty much all season, except for 2 stretches, to begin the season and right after the all star break. Other than that, they were atrocious. Beating them isn't what it seems.

Lebron just decided to go from MJ against Chicago to RJ against the Mavs. No one knows what happened.

Venti Quattro
06-19-2011, 11:11 PM
Foaming at the mouth with MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

chazley
06-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Foaming at the mouth with MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

I don't blame you. Your Lakers looked atrocious all season long, you must've broke a few pieces of furniture.

Ghazi
06-19-2011, 11:35 PM
I don't blame you. Your Lakers looked atrocious all season long, you must've broke a few pieces of furniture.

winning 57 games w/ a +6.1 margin of victory = atrocious?

SO MAD :lmao :lmao

Venti Quattro
06-19-2011, 11:40 PM

I probably broke one of the 16 trophies, but no worries, the Lakers still have 15 :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2:

Budkin
06-20-2011, 12:00 AM
Why won't you just give the Mavs their props? They kicked some serious ass in the playoffs.

chazley
06-20-2011, 12:07 AM
Why won't you just give the Mavs their props? They kicked some serious ass in the playoffs.

You're right, they did.

Doesn't mean that they didn't get lucky avoiding the top 2 teams in the West and Lebron deciding to emulate RJ.

mavsfan1000
06-20-2011, 12:07 AM
Some will find any way possible to spin it around to take credit away from the Mavs. They are a very clutch team. They find ways to win.

chazley
06-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Some will find any way possible to spin it around to take credit away from the Mavs. They are a very clutch team. They find ways to win.

I will say, Dirk solidified himself as the most clutch player in this league, and I'm glad he and Kidd got a championship.

Agloco
06-20-2011, 11:01 AM

Mavfans from 2007 say hello. It's come full circle.

chazley
06-23-2011, 01:46 AM
Mavfans from 2007 say hello. It's come full circle.

Already countered this multiple times.

dude1394
06-23-2011, 12:13 PM
better lucky than good.

But it's better to be lucky AND great.