PDA

View Full Version : Funny Story about Pop and Tony

tmtcsc
06-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Recently, I overheard Pop talking about TP wanting to open his own eating establishment here in San Antonio. Not sure if Pop was trying to be funny or not but he certainly blasted the idea. Pop was seated close to our table and was not really being quiet about it. A couple of glasses of wine will do that I guess.

He said something along the lines of "What the hell is he thinking ? If he wants to open a restaurant here in San Antonio, he should think twice about playing like shit in the playoffs before doing it." Maybe Tony asked Pop to join him in the venture and that was his response.

:lol

I. Hustle
06-17-2011, 09:44 AM
Which chick fil a were you at?

lefty
06-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Fuck both of them

ducks
06-17-2011, 10:56 AM
last person to open a resturant rose got traded

ducks
06-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Fuck both of them

are you gay?

spursfan09
06-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Pop should also think twice about coaching like shit.

lefty
06-17-2011, 12:14 PM
are you gay?
Sorry, not interested

ducks
06-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Sorry, not interested

you are the one wanting to fuck 2 guys at one time

lefty
06-17-2011, 12:52 PM
you are the one wanting to fuck 2 guys at one time
aha, ahaha, hahahahahaha

hihihihi

ho...ho

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j143/khloz/Jokerlaugh.gif

will_spurs
06-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Credibility of this story = zero.

DesignatedT
06-17-2011, 01:13 PM
yeah, that happened....

tmtcsc
06-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Credibility of this story = zero.

and yet it happened...

reasons for me to make it up = 0
chances of me caring what you think = 0

will_spurs
06-17-2011, 02:23 PM
and yet it happened...

reasons for me to make it up = 0
chances of me caring what you think = 0

Sure, Pop badmouthing one of his key players in public... I can totally believe it.

joshdaboss
06-17-2011, 02:27 PM
A part of me believes this, because Popobitch's ego is that big. He probably feels like he isn't entirely the reason they weren't contending for a ring this year, which he was.

I. Hustle
06-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Shut up 288

tmtcsc
06-21-2011, 11:44 PM
Ok, its official. Tony's awful play against Memphis and his ill-timed comments in France have left Pop in a foul mood. If anyone gets traded, its Tony. You have to have a point guard who believes in his team, not one that's happy collecting paychecks. "I love the Spurs...I love being a Spur." That's funny.

Ask Pop or RC how funny those comments are. I think he's as good as gone.

And yes, the story I started this thread with happened. And it was less than a week ago. Pop is still pissed.

Buddy Holly
06-21-2011, 11:48 PM
I don't know about the OP's story but if anyone watched the interview Pop did with Don Harris, he seemed to be quite dismissive of Tony. When Don brought up what Tony said about the Spurs not being contenders, Pop basically said: "I could care less what Tony says, he needs to shut up and play basketball." Not verbatim but the jest of it.

He said it with a grin but not in a joking way. It seemed like Pop has some real distain for what Tony said.

Buddy Holly
06-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Here's the interview:

http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story/Coach-Pop-talks-about-coaching-after-San-Antonio/Oab8nuC7UEKc1gThWywtJQ.cspx

2 minute mark.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

SenorSpur
06-22-2011, 12:07 AM
I certainly don't disagree with Tony's comments. He sees the deficiencies in their roster and he's often talked in the past of the Spurs "getting more quicker and athletic". His comments are not inconsistent with what he's been saying in the past, it's just that he never should've never opened his mouth to the press in the first place. He should've known better.

Even moreso than TP's loose lips, I really hate that he backed off and tried to blame the media. He should've just stuck with his guns.

How ironic would it be that if he were subconsciously trying to force the Spurs to make roster upgrades, that it would be HIM who would be possibly shipped out.

ohmwrecker
06-22-2011, 12:09 AM
Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

You are.

itzsoweezee
06-22-2011, 12:09 AM
Fact: Tony is a better basketball player than Popovich is a coach. If anyone should be replaceable, it's Popovich.

This franchise is officially in the shitter if Popovich gets to pin the blame for the first round flameout on Parker by trading him.

Fucking amateur hack of a coach.

SenorSpur
06-22-2011, 12:29 AM
For all of his practical beliefs and coaching tenets, like "get over yourself", it doesn't appear that Pop is practicing what he preaches. Ever since the Spurs were ousted, he's been quick to issue various bullshit excuses for why the Spurs lost in the playoffs. Instead of stating the obvious - that his team was bested by a team that masterfully exploited their weaknesses - Pop has been constantly citing the injury bug and other self-inflicted issues, as reasons why his team lost. It's really disengenuious to the Grizzlies and unlike him to go that route.

cheguevara
06-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Pop should also think twice about coaching like shit.

:tu

Old fuck needs to retire

will_spurs
06-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Pop is still pissed.

Or your sarcasm meter is broken.

ohmwrecker
06-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Or your sarcasm meter is broken.

He still trying to legitimize this bullshit story he has concocted.

tmtcsc
06-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Pop's comments weren't sarcasm and they weren't meant for an audience. It was Pop and one other person and there was no laughing.

And Ohmwrecker/will_Spurs, whatever sticks are up your asses, you should lose them. It's making you look foolish. If you don't want to believe me, I'm fine with that. I'm not sure why think its so unbelievable in the first place. Pop said worse in his interview with Don Harris. And now, there are rumors that Tony is being talked about in trade scenarios.

I've said all I'm going to say about what happened. I'm not telling you what restaurant, I'm not telling you who he was speaking with (although I know that person too) and I'm not saying anything further.

It was a "wow" conversation and it was a bit surprising. The Spurs had long been eliminated and I was surprised that Pop would even say such a thing to a person that is NOT another coach.

You should unplug your ipods, put away the spankerchiefs you whack off with and get out in public every now and then. Real life is happening all around you. I know you're level 25 Battle Dwarfs who fart spells of charisma or some shit but seriously dudes, get a life.

ohmwrecker
06-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Pop's comments weren't sarcasm and they weren't meant for an audience. It was Pop and one other person and there was no laughing.

I find it hard to believe that Pop would be careless enough to let some dipshit in a restaurant overhear something like that if he was actually serious.

And Ohmwrecker/will_Spurs, whatever sticks are up your asses, you should lose them. It's making you look foolish. If you don't want to believe me, I'm fine with that. I'm not sure why think its so unbelievable in the first place. Pop said worse in his interview with Don Harris. And now, there are rumors that Tony is being talked about in trade scenarios.

Yes. We are the ones who look foolish . . . Pop was obviously being sarcastic throughout the entirety of that interview and I have to question the intelligence of anyone who failed to pick up on that. Rumors involving trading Tony Parker aren't exactly late breaking news either.

I've said all I'm going to say about what happened. I'm not telling you what restaurant, I'm not telling you who he was speaking with (although I know that person too) and I'm not saying anything further.

You haven't really said anything that is reasonably valid yet, why start now, right?

It was a "wow" conversation and it was a bit surprising. The Spurs had long been eliminated and I was surprised that Pop would even say such a thing to a person that is NOT another coach.

I know! It's completely unbelievable!

You should unplug your ipods, put away the spankerchiefs you whack off with and get out in public every now and then. Real life is happening all around you. I know you're level 25 Battle Dwarfs who fart spells of charisma or some shit but seriously dudes, get a life.

You seem to know a lot about this lifestyle. Now that . . . I can believe.

Buddy Holly
06-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Are people seriously blaming Pop for the series loss?

Yes his adjustments were crap and he played Bonner one minute too much, but bottom line, it's the players on the floor that play the game and Parker played very sub par, let's be honest, like shit. Mike Conley outplayed him easily, it was sad.

The one moment in the series Parker played like Parker was in OT of game 5.

I'm not saying his crap play justifies trading him but he deserves a lot of the blame for the series loss.

tmtcsc
06-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Ohmboy, your comeback was weak, limp dick. Apparently you're feeling all feisty since you saw THOR for the 12th time. I'm sure you've soiled your pants at the new Captain America previews too. Fucking child.

If you could afford to go out to a nice restaurant you might realize that Pop isn't as sensitive to what the public thinks as you believe he is.

He said what he said. He's pissed that Tony played like shit when it counted most, he's pissed that Tony thinks he's a fortune teller, he's pissed that Tony threw his teammates under the bus when he should have looked in the mirror and he's pissed that he's in a position to consider trading his starting point guard.

ElNono
06-22-2011, 10:53 AM
I can believe this happened... Pop certainly doesn't have a filter when it comes to speaking his mind. He might be more careful when he's openly addressing the press, but there's countless chronicles from players saying how Pop got in their faces and told them what he thought not necessarily in a pleasant way.

John Basedow
06-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Fuck both of them

You have the stamina for that?

ohmwrecker
06-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Ohmboy, your comeback was weak, limp dick. Apparently you're feeling all feisty since you saw THOR for the 12th time. I'm sure you've soiled your pants at the new Captain America previews too. Fucking child.

It's not a comeback. I am categorically addressing your bullshit. I'll leave the internet warrior "insults" to you. I must be a comic book nerd if I am responding to someone on the internet, right? What exactly is different about what you are doing?

If you could afford to go out to a nice restaurant you might realize that Pop isn't as sensitive to what the public thinks as you believe he is.

So, you really expect us to believe that Pop would blurt out his plans to trade one of his top 3 players in a public restaurant? You actually thought you could lay that one on us and no one would be the slightest bit incredulous or dubious? That's pretty naive, dude.

That goes against everything we know about Pop as a guarded and private person. He even said in the interview with Harris (that you took completely serious, btw) that they don't reveal their plans before they happen. It's the M.O. of this front office. Has been for years.

He said what he said. He's pissed that Tony played like shit when it counted most, he's pissed that Tony thinks he's a fortune teller, he's pissed that Tony threw his teammates under the bus when he should have looked in the mirror and he's pissed that he's in a position to consider trading his starting point guard.

Maybe he is, but if he thinks placing all the blame on Tony for the first round loss when every player on the team underperformed and he himself made some truly awful coaching decisions, then he is completely and utterly delusional and your story might have an ounce of validity . . . but I doubt it.

btw, hilarious comic book nerd and "too poor to go to a restaurant" smack . . . and to top it off, I am the fucking child? You are falling apart at the seams, guy. I've obviously struck a nerve.

tmtcsc
06-22-2011, 11:28 AM
So, you really expect us to believe that Pop would blurt out his plans to trade one of his top 3 players in a public restaurant? You actually thought you could lay that one on us and no one would be the slightest bit incredulous or dubious? That's pretty naive, dude.

Recently, I overheard Pop talking about TP wanting to open his own eating establishment here in San Antonio. Not sure if Pop was trying to be funny or not but he certainly blasted the idea. Pop was seated close to our table and was not really being quiet about it. A couple of glasses of wine will do that I guess.

He said something along the lines of "What the hell is he thinking ? If he wants to open a restaurant here in San Antonio, he should think twice about playing like shit in the playoffs before doing it." Maybe Tony asked Pop to join him in the venture and that was his response.

Where did I say ANYTHING about him blurting out that Tony was going to be traded ? He said Tony should think twice about opening a restaurant in San Antonio after playing like shit in the playoffs. It seemed more like he was flabbergasted that Tony didn't realize what just happened in the playoffs.

Yet, you jump in this thread screaming BULLSHIT. You're the one that's naive and you've touched no nerve here. Apparently you think you're some sort of Bullshit police and if you don't believe it happened then it couldn't have.

Agloco
06-22-2011, 11:34 AM
I find it hard to believe that Pop would be careless enough to let some dipshit in a restaurant overhear something like that if he was actually serious.

To be fair, it was over a couple of glasses of wine. You've never sat in a booth next to a loud table before?

Pop's capable of being just as careless as the next guy.

ohmwrecker
06-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Where did I say ANYTHING about him blurting out that Tony was going to be traded ? He said Tony should think twice about opening a restaurant in San Antonio after playing like shit in the playoffs. It seemed more like he was flabbergasted that Tony didn't realize what just happened in the playoffs.

You are using these trade rumors to validate your story which, as I have explained, is pretty difficult to swallow. I don't see what is so difficult to understand about that. It's a cool story, I guess . . .but, it's extremely hard to believe.
If he was so mad at Tony (as you claim), why are they having dinner together? It seems that if he had an issue with TP, or what he said, he would've had a private conversation with him and not blurted out his displeasure with his starting PG in a restaurant for anyone to hear after a few glasses of wine.

Also, Pop couldn't possibly blame Tony solely for the loss to the Grizz. That is just an outrageously idiotic assertion.

Yet, you jump in this thread screaming BULLSHIT. You're the one that's naive and you've touched no nerve here. Apparently you think you're some sort of Bullshit police and if you don't believe it happened then it couldn't have.

I didn't jump into this thread screaming bullshit. I suggested you were using the trade rumors to validate your story, which is absolutely true. You are the one who is all offended and sensitive and calling me names . . . if your story is true, why do you give a shit if I believe it or not? It just doesn't make any sense, and your behavior in your responses confirms that.

wildbill2u
06-22-2011, 12:10 PM
For all of his practical beliefs and coaching tenets, like "get over yourself", it doesn't appear that Pop is practicing what he preaches. Ever since the Spurs were ousted, he's been quick to issue various bullshit excuses for why the Spurs lost in the playoffs. Instead of stating the obvious - that his team was bested by a team that masterfully exploited their weaknesses - Pop has been constantly citing the injury bug and other self-inflicted issues, as reasons why his team lost. It's really disengenuious to the Grizzlies and unlike him to go that route.

I agree that the Grizzleys exploited the matchups and weaknesses of the Spurs. They did the same thing in the regular season and that's why they all but publically announced that they threw a game or two at the end to get to the Spurs. They were confident against us.

That being said, you have some choices about the outcome:
1. The matchups and weaknesses were so great that they could not be overcome by any coach.
2. Pop couldn't find a way to overcome the matchup/weakness problem, but some other coach could have.
3. The game plan was good but injuries and failure to execute made us lose a close and hard-fought series.

Pop is generally credited around the league with being one of the best X and O coaches so I tend to lean toward number one. We ran into a perfect storm of a team that was built to beat us.

While injuries played a part, the playoffs come down to the players on the court, not the coaches. The players have to execute a game plan to take away the strengths of the other team while maximizing their own strengths.

Give Memphis credit. They could. We couldn't.

tmtcsc
06-22-2011, 04:06 PM
If he was so mad at Tony (as you claim), why are they having dinner together? It seems that if he had an issue with TP, or what he said, he would've had a private conversation with him and not blurted out his displeasure with his starting PG in a restaurant for anyone to hear after a few glasses of wine.

Wow. I even reposted my original thread. Pop was NOT having dinner with Tony, it was someone else.

tmtcsc
06-22-2011, 04:09 PM
I agree that the Grizzleys exploited the matchups and weaknesses of the Spurs. They did the same thing in the regular season and that's why they all but publically announced that they threw a game or two at the end to get to the Spurs. They were confident against us.

That being said, you have some choices about the outcome:
1. The matchups and weaknesses were so great that they could not be overcome by any coach.
2. Pop couldn't find a way to overcome the matchup/weakness problem, but some other coach could have.
3. The game plan was good but injuries and failure to execute made us lose a close and hard-fought series.

Pop is generally credited around the league with being one of the best X and O coaches so I tend to lean toward number one. We ran into a perfect storm of a team that was built to beat us.

While injuries played a part, the playoffs come down to the players on the court, not the coaches. The players have to execute a game plan to take away the strengths of the other team while maximizing their own strengths.

Give Memphis credit. They could. We couldn't.

Excellent post and I'll go with # 3. Randolph played out of his mind and we played less than stellar. The loss exposed our weaknesses that need to be addressed. My hope is that Tim was more injured then he let on. If not, he should consider retirement.

ohmwrecker
06-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Wow. I even reposted my original thread. Pop was NOT having dinner with Tony, it was someone else.

Yeah, I noticed that. My mistake. That shouldn't invalidate my point though.