PDA

View Full Version : Japan scientist synthesizes meat from, um...

RandomGuy
06-17-2011, 09:43 PM
poop. Human poop. Aren't you glad to know that? You're welcome.
You can thank the little bit of code that gives you the first sentence or two when you pause over the link in the menu.

Read on if you want to know the full, um, scoop.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Somehow this feels like a Vonnegut plotline: population boom equals food shortage. Solution? Synthesize food from human waste matter. Absurd yes, but Japanese scientists have actually discovered a way to create edible steaks from human feces.

Mitsuyuki Ikeda, a researcher from the Okayama Laboratory, has developed steaks based on proteins from human excrement. Tokyo Sewage approached the scientist because of an overabundance of sewage mud. They asked him to explore the possible uses of the sewage and Ikeda found that the mud contained a great deal of protein because of all the bacteria.

The researchers then extracted those proteins, combined them with a reaction enhancer and put it in an exploder which created the artificial steak. The “meat” is 63% proteins, 25% carbohydrates, 3% lipids and 9% minerals. The researchers color the poop meat red with food coloring and enhance the flavor with soy protein. Initial tests have people saying it even tastes like beef.

Inhabitat notes that “the meatpacking industry causes 18 percent of our greenhouse gas emissions, mostly due to the release of methane from animals.” Livestock also consume huge amounts of resources and space in efforts to feed ourselves as well as the controversy over cruelty to animals. Ikeda’s recycled poop burger would reduce waste and emissions, not to mention obliterating Dante’s circle for gluttons.

The scientists hope to price it the same as actual meat, but at the moment the excrement steaks are ten to twenty times the price they should be thanks to the cost of research. Professor Ikeda understands the psychological barriers that need to be surmounted knowing that your food is made from human feces. They hope that once the research is complete, people will be able to overlook that ugly detail in favor of perks like environmental responsibility, cost and the fact that the meat will have fewer calories.

Waste not; want not.

------------------------------------------------------

No, I am not shitting you.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrends/20110615/tc_digitaltrends/japanesescientistscreatesmeatoutoffeces

(edit)

Seriously? What the fuck is wrong with the Japanese? Just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it. :vomit:

BlackSwordsMan
06-17-2011, 09:48 PM
As if the shit you eat at Mcdonalds is any better

RandomGuy
06-17-2011, 10:02 PM

Yeah, their food is pretty crappy.

RandomGuy
06-17-2011, 10:03 PM
I try not to fart around when I am there.

RandomGuy
06-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Sometimes I sit on the stool and eat at McDonalds.

RandomGuy
06-17-2011, 10:05 PM
But their food is fast when you just gotta go.

mrsmaalox
06-17-2011, 11:06 PM
"The scientists hope to price it the same as actual meat"

What the hell? "Hmmm, I have $10, should I cook a meatloaf or a shitloaf for dinner tonight?" Why in the world would anyone choose to buy poop instead of beef if they cost the same?

TE
06-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Fucking stupid.

Thompson
06-17-2011, 11:45 PM
I would have trouble feeding that to my dog; who the heck would eat that knowing what it was?

I'm glad I don't live in China; I'm sure they'll jump all over this (they already have problems with street vendors using cardboard pulp in dinner rolls).

4>0rings
06-17-2011, 11:56 PM
i've heard of ordering a poopoo platter, but this is ridiculous!fuck you lefty

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2011, 01:06 AM
Maybe that radiation IS in the food supply...........

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2011, 01:09 AM
If they start going apeshit on New Godzilla sagas, I'll have all the proof I need.

mouse
06-18-2011, 01:54 AM
is this discussion open to the public?

ohmwrecker
06-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Soylent Green is people . . . 's poop!

Wild Cobra
06-18-2011, 12:45 PM
I'll bet McDonald's will be buying the patents!

Mark in Austin
06-18-2011, 02:50 PM
:lol @ the fridge in the story being labled "shit burger"

06-19-2011, 06:26 PM
i have yet to read the complete research but people who are immediately turned off by this do not understand science. this is similar to extracting water from sewage to deal with water shortages. no one wants to drink water from human waste but H2O is H2O no matter where you get it. if there is a process to purify water, the source does not matter. the end product will be as pure as obtaining water from a freshwater well or mountain rivers.

tlongII
06-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Didn't they do this in The Human Centipede?

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-19-2011, 09:37 PM
If they start going apeshit on New Godzilla sagas, I'll have all the proof I need.
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao o man viva rivals lefty with hilarious one liners!

Blake
06-19-2011, 10:03 PM

Meh.

It's presented better at least

DMC
06-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Fucking Japs. Nuke them and this is how they react?

xXx
06-20-2011, 12:04 PM
i've eaten some goooood shit before, but never literally.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Bear Grylls hasn't stopped smiling since hearing about this.

Mr Hanky
06-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Just a matter of time before the shit hits the fan.

gatoloco
06-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Bear Grylls hasn't stopped smiling since hearing about this.

i'd like to smack the shit eating grin off his face.

I. Hustle
06-20-2011, 03:23 PM
They have already teamed up with one American franchise and hope to open chains of Out-N-In restaurants within two years.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-20-2011, 03:28 PM
This could be the next health food craze. This stuff would be perfect mixed into a tossed salad.

ETA:

i'd like to smack the shit eating grin off his face.

j8SKdQYAB2I

sook
06-21-2011, 12:19 AM
what do you think farm animals do?

They synthesize bacterial protein from Urea and feces, they actually meet all their essential amino acid requirements.