PDA

View Full Version : Harsh Reality: We might not have another 55+ win team for at least 10 years

Wilford Brimley
06-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Last year was 61 wins, but the Spurs seem content with playing out the string of the Big 3's careers, and recent FO moves (Jefferson and Bonner extensions) show no indication of a willingness to chase another championship. We might have 2 years left of being a decent playoff team, but it's rebuilding mode after that. Unless we hit the jackpot in the draft for a 3rd time, I'm afraid we're looking at dark days ahead.

SpursGlory
06-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Wait til you see what R.C. has in store for you!

You have some inside information you're not telling us about Phila?

silverblk mystix
06-19-2011, 07:36 PM
This past season was just ...wishful thinking...

the window actually closed after the 2007 title.

The last few seasons, actually, was just diehard fans not really wanting to face the truth.
After witnessing Pop this past season...it is time to face the truth....the truth that all spur haters have been telling us for years...

That Timmy is done....spurs are done...etc...

Unfortunately....

they were right all along.

Thanks Pop.

Sisk
06-19-2011, 07:38 PM
This past season was just ...wishful thinking...

the window actually closed after the 2007 title.

The last few seasons, actually, was just diehard fans not really wanting to face the truth.
After witnessing Pop this past season...it is time to face the truth....the truth that all spur haters have been telling us for years...

That Timmy is done....spurs are done...etc...

Unfortunately....

they were right all along.

Thanks Pop.

It's all Pops fault :cry

silverblk mystix
06-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Nah, I believe 08 was their last legitimate chance. Manu just got hurt at the wrong time. Otherwise I think they would have easily beaten the Lakers and Celtics.

Probably...

still...we're fucked.

ChumpDumper
06-19-2011, 07:42 PM
lol we

silverblk mystix
06-19-2011, 07:51 PM
lol we

Oh yeah...I forgot...ONLY people that suck Pop's dick are real fans...

according to you...

ChumpDumper
06-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Oh yeah...I forgot...ONLY people that suck Pop's dick are real fans...

according to you...Never said a thing about Pop.

That was you.

You've got quite a complex going here.

silverblk mystix
06-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Never said a thing about Pop.

That was you.

You've got quite a complex going here.

:toast

ChumpDumper
06-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Do you even know what I said?

silverblk mystix
06-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Do you even know what I said?

Yup...

Just not in the mood to succumb to your pit bull routine....

ChumpDumper
06-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Yup...

Just not in the mood to succumb to your pit bull routine....True, there's not much you could say to defend yourself after that.

silverblk mystix
06-19-2011, 08:59 PM
True, there's not much you could say to defend yourself after that.

nice try...:toast

ChumpDumper
06-19-2011, 09:02 PM
nice try...:toastNo need to try. It's done. :toast

Dex
06-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Can't stay on top forever. If it happens, it happens.

That being said, pretty sure you are jumping the gun a bit.

silverblk mystix
06-19-2011, 09:11 PM
No need to try. It's done. :toast

So are the spurs....

OUR team....sigh...

baseline bum
06-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Nah, I believe 08 was their last legitimate chance. Manu just got hurt at the wrong time. Otherwise I think they would have easily beaten the Lakers and Celtics.

Lakers yes, Celtics? I don't think so. Maybe had they not traded Scola, but I wouldn't have liked the Spurs chances with Finley and Thomas going against Garnett / Perkins.

Wilford Brimley
06-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Lakers yes, Celtics? I don't think so. Maybe had they not traded Scola, but I wouldn't have liked the Spurs chances with Finley and Thomas going against Garnett / Perkins.

We had much better chances in 2004 and 2006. 2007 was our last legitimate contender. Can't blame 2008 on injuries, especially since the Lakers were down 2 starters too. I agree that Boston would've pummeled our front line though.

baseline bum
06-19-2011, 09:55 PM
We had much better chances in 2004 and 2006. 2007 was our last legitimate contender. Can't blame 2008 on injuries, especially since the Lakers were down 2 starters too. I agree that Boston would've pummeled our front line though.

Ariza wasn't a starter, no matter how many stupid Laker fans try to rewrite history here. Complaining about Ariza being out in 08 would be like Spurs fan blaming a loss on not having James Anderson.

100%duncan
06-19-2011, 09:58 PM

Wilford Brimley
06-19-2011, 10:01 PM

What gives you hope? Is it the Bonner/RJ contracts, Tim and Manu's declining health, or our recent loss to an 8th seed?

Wilford Brimley
06-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Ariza wasn't a starter, no matter how many stupid Laker fans try to rewrite history here. Complaining about Ariza being out in 08 would be like Spurs fan blaming a loss on not having James Anderson.

You are right about Ariza not being a starter, but to compare him to JA doesn't make sense. Ariza was still better than that joke VladRad they had (like that rhyme? :lol) Ariza was a good reserve before he was a starter. JA is an injured rookie. Andrew Bynum was putting up 30 and 40 point games before his injury, so it's all a wash in my honest opinion.

The fault lies with Pop and the FO for never finding a consistent and suitable 5 since D-Rob retired. It's been patchwork, and we've lost out on 2-3 additional titles because of it...and that doesn't include Pop's refusal to give Splitter effective PT this year.

Ice009
06-19-2011, 10:10 PM

We might have beaten Boston as I think we would have given them a tougher series mentally that any other team did. If you recall Ray Allen choked his way up to the finals and Boston needed 7 games to beat some very average teams. By the time they got to the finals Ray Allen was a lot more relaxed and I don't think he could play any worse, plus having Sasha guard him would have been a real help. I think it would have been a different story with Bruce Bowen on him. Anyway, none of those crappy teams in the East were good enough to make them pay for it, so time and time again the Celtics choked and got away with it. Detroit, was the only East team good enough to have a chance, but they choked a 2-1 lead. A real disappointment that Detroit team was. They should have made at least two more finals series than they did.

Kendrick Perkins also said that they did not want to play the Spurs in the finals, they were really hoping the Lakers made it. You could see it in the finals that they didn't really have any fear of them. Even though the Celtics were a better overall team than the Spurs, I think a healthy Spurs team could have put some pressure on them. We may not have won, but I think we could have really put more pressure on them than anyone else did.

Cane
06-19-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm not that concerned with the unknown that is the Duncan-retirement era. If the owners get their way and the NBA system becomes more like the NFL's then I disagree with the OP. The new NBA should be kinder to smaller markets and level out the playing field some. The Spurs also draft well and that should improve with higher picks. The training facilities to develop those guys also won't be going away anytime soon and they're pretty top-notch as well.

Wilford Brimley
06-19-2011, 10:13 PM
We might have beaten Boston as I think we would have given them a tougher series mentally that any other team did. If you recall Ray Allen choked his way up to the finals and Boston needed 7 games to beat some very average teams. By the time they got to the finals Ray Allen was a lot more relaxed and I don't think he could play any worse, plus having Sasha guard him would have been a real help. I think it would have been a different story with Bruce Bowen on him. Anyway, none of those crappy teams in the East were good enough to make them pay for it, so time and time again the Celtics choked and got away with it. Detroit was the only East team good enough, but they choked a 2-1 lead. A real disappointment that Detroit team was. They should have made at least two more finals series than they did.

Kendrick Perkins also said that they did not want to play the Spurs in the finals, they were really hoping the Lakers made it. You could see it in the finals that they didn't really have any fear of them. Even though the Celtics were a better overall team than the Spurs, I think a healthy Spurs team could have put some pressure on them. We may not have won, but I think we could have really put more pressure on them than anyone else did.

Methinks you forgot 2008. Bowen was forsaken that season. Pop fell madly in love with Finley. True love. We've been a soft, pussified team ever since.

Ice009
06-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Methinks you forgot 2008. Bowen was forsaken that season. Pop fell madly in love with Finley. True love.

That was 2009. Bruce started every game in 2008.

Wilford Brimley
06-19-2011, 10:21 PM
That was 2009. Bruce started every game in 2008.

and? In the playoffs he was getting 'Brent Barry' kind of minutes while Finley played big minutes. The seeds of destruction were sown when he opted for more Offense over Defense.

Ice009
06-19-2011, 10:28 PM
and? In the playoffs he was getting 'Brent Barry' kind of minutes while Finley played big minutes. The seeds of destruction were sown when he opted for more Offense over Defense.

Did you watch any games???????? Bruce got his regular minutes. the following season Pop opted for more offense because he thought our defense was good enough against LA, but we couldn't score enough points to win. I think we also held the Lakers to a lot less points than even the Celtics did in the finals so I'm pretty sure that's when Pop changed to more of an offensive approach the next season. It definitely didn't happen in the 2008 playoffs.

Bruce got his regular minutes against New Orleans shutting down Peja and guarding Chris Paul in the 4th quarters. Round 1 he guarded Nash and then in the WCF guarded Kobe for most of the time that Kobe was on the court. The big mistake of Pop was in game 1 again LA where we had a 20 point lead in the 3rd quarter and Kobe has like 7 points and then Pop sat Bruce for his regular rest and put in Udoka who Kobe lit up.

You really don't recall much do you?

Wilford Brimley
06-19-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm not that concerned with the unknown that is the Duncan-retirement era. If the owners get their way and the NBA system becomes more like the NFL's then I disagree with the OP. The new NBA should be kinder to smaller markets and level out the playing field some. The Spurs also draft well and that should improve with higher picks. The training facilities to develop those guys also won't be going away anytime soon and they're pretty top-notch as well.

I was once a homer like yourself, but I officially took off the rosy sunglasses this season when Pop ignored the only true fucking center we have on the roster (Tim's still a PF to me)

Wilford Brimley
06-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Did you watch any games???????? Bruce got his regular minutes. the following season Pop opted for more offense because he thought our defense was good enough against LA, but we couldn't score enough points to win. I think we also held the Lakers to a lot less points than even the Celtics did in the finals so I'm pretty sure that's when Pop changed to more of an offensive approach the next season. It definitely didn't happen in the 2008 playoffs.

Bruce got his regular minutes against New Orleans shutting down Peja and guarding Chris Paul in the 4th quarters. Round 1 he guarded Nash and then in the WCF guarded Kobe for most of the time that Kobe was on the court. The big mistake of Pop was in game 1 again LA where we had a 20 point lead in the 3rd quarter and Kobe has like 7 points and then Pop sat Bruce for his regular rest and put in Udoka who Kobe lit up.

You really don't recall much do you?

Give me Finley and Bruce's minutes for those playoffs. I'm interested.

Ice009
06-19-2011, 10:34 PM

I'm not wasting my time looking them up for you. You look them up.

Bruce played his regular minutes in the playoffs. It makes no difference how many minutes Finley played as he started at two guard, but that was the Spurs rotation that season with Manu coming in off the bench. Udoka got spot minutes in round one and then got some late in the NO series and then against the Lakers spot minutes again after Kobe torched him in game 1.

It was after those playoffs that Pop changed to a more offensive approach.

Bruce Bowen 17 GS out of 17 in the playoffs 30 mpg
Michael Finley 11 games started out of 17 and 23 mpg

You were WRONG.

The only time that Finley ever played more minutes than Bruce was in '09 28.6 Vs 26. Pop benched Bruce and realized his mistake halfway through that series as Bruce played a lot in the last couple of games. He probably would have played more minutes again if Pop didn't realize his mistake so late.

timaios
06-19-2011, 10:46 PM

2008 playoffs

Bruce Bowen : 29.9 min/game
Michael Finley : 23.0 min/game

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2008.html

TE
06-20-2011, 01:48 AM
Indeed, dark days are ahead for Spur fans. Every consistently great team goes through this at some point. Next year, I don't see the team as successful in the regular season. I'm afraid Pop will continue to fuck with the rotations just like he did last year. Unless the team can draft a gem out of this draft (highly unlikely given this years lack of talent) and/or acquire a decent big or decent 3 (decent as in having a set of balls, to which Dick Jefferson lacks), the team will struggle against more talented and hungrier teams.

Although this year's playoffs already played out, in retrospect, I can't believe we lost to the fucking Grizzlies.

The fucking Grizzlies.

baseline bum
06-20-2011, 02:04 AM
Methinks you forgot 2008. Bowen was forsaken that season. Pop fell madly in love with Finley. True love. We've been a soft, pussified team ever since.

You're thinking 2009.

Proxy
06-20-2011, 02:28 AM
Wilford, why don't you shut the fuck up? You're a good troll, I'll give you that.

Seventyniner
06-20-2011, 11:01 AM
I don't think anyone here expected a 60-win season for 10-11, so who knows what the future holds?

And as to Phila_Chamberlain's comment, does RC himself even know what he's going to do? This labor/lockout situation has everything up in the air, it seems. The draft is the only definite event, and I can't see a #29 pick making much of a difference (via trade or as its own selection).

TDMVPDPOY
06-20-2011, 11:21 AM
i dont think we are done yet

the problem is pops coaching,

if you watch this seasons playoff, i dont think duncan was done, he was still abusing players down low and then disappeared in the 2nd half due to wankers not passin him the ball or him not being assertive enough demanding the ball....

players like hill, blair, rj, parker and bonner need to hardened the fck up and stop havin those disappearing act games...

i think we can still win 50+ games

rascal
06-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Aren't you the same guy who predicted the Spurs would win a championship last year.

rascal
06-20-2011, 11:40 AM
i dont think we are done yet

the problem is pops coaching,

if you watch this seasons playoff, i dont think duncan was done, he was still abusing players down low and then disappeared in the 2nd half due to wankers not passin him the ball or him not being assertive enough demanding the ball....

players like hill, blair, rj, parker and bonner need to hardened the fck up and stop havin those disappearing act games...

i think we can still win 50+ games

The problem is beyond coaching, it is in the front office and the players they decide to put on the court. Going to battle without a true NBA frontline is on the front office.

Wilford Brimley
06-20-2011, 11:47 AM
You're thinking 2009.

You and Ice are correct, it was 2009, not 2008. I need my insulin levels readjusted again.

cheguevara
06-20-2011, 12:42 PM
as long as Pop keeps inserting Bonner and Dick and forgetting about defense. We have no shot whatsoever.

Dex
06-20-2011, 02:47 PM
What gives you hope? Is it the Bonner/RJ contracts, Tim and Manu's declining health, or our recent loss to an 8th seed?

If you are only going to focus on the negatives, then there isn't much point in debating.

What about young and budding players like George Hill, Tiago Splitter, and James Anderson? What about having a competent front office that is the model of the league and has managed to put together a playoff team for 20 of the last 21 seasons? What about the fact that the Spurs had the 2nd best record in the league last season WITHOUT Tim averaging 20/10?

The days of being front runners for the championship may be over, but barring a massive implosion or an overhaul in management, this team will still find ways to compete for years to come.

jjktkk
06-20-2011, 03:01 PM
If you are only going to focus on the negatives, then there isn't much point in debating.

What about young and budding players like George Hill, Tiago Splitter, and James Anderson? What about having a competent front office that is the model of the league and has managed to put together a playoff team for 20 of the last 21 seasons? What about the fact that the Spurs had the 2nd best record in the league last season WITHOUT Tim averaging 20/10?

The days of being front runners for the championship may be over, but barring a massive implosion or an overhaul in management, this team will still find ways to compete for years to come.

Dex with the goods. :tu

Vito Corleone
06-20-2011, 08:33 PM

I'll tell you what gives me hope, it's the fact that our front office is smart and doesn't throw money around at stupid contracts and also the fact that we keep finding nice parts late in the draft.

Sure we are going to have some down years, but a couple good draft picks and we are right back.

silverblk mystix
06-20-2011, 09:26 PM
I'll tell you what gives me hope, it's the fact that our front office is smart and doesn't throw money around at stupid contracts and also the fact that we keep finding nice parts late in the draft.

Sure we are going to have some down years, but a couple good draft picks and we are right back.

Yup...that RJ and Bonner sure earned that "stupid" contract.

Gervin44Silas13
06-21-2011, 06:49 AM
Scola
Injuries
No Bigs
Bonner
Jefferson
Cuba
Kennedy
The Mafia
The CIA
Castro
Oswald
The man behind the grass knoll

.....back and to the left

Agloco
06-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Last year was 61 wins, but the Spurs seem content with playing out the string of the Big 3's careers, and recent FO moves (Jefferson and Bonner extensions) show no indication of a willingness to chase another championship. We might have 2 years left of being a decent playoff team, but it's rebuilding mode after that. Unless we hit the jackpot in the draft for a 3rd time, I'm afraid we're looking at dark days ahead.

Big Willie with Da Troof!