PDA

View Full Version : Manu article (espanol)

KoriEllis
09-14-2004, 05:55 AM
En el podio de los ídolos

www.lanacion.com.ar/Edici..._id=636210 (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/EdicionImpresa/deportiva/nota.asp?nota_id=636210)

Emanuel Ginóbili quedó indiscutiblemente instalado entre los mejores deportistas argentinos de la historia. En un repaso del momento que le toca vivir, el flamante campeón olímpico dijo: "No me siento perjudicado por la popularidad que me rodea, pero me obligó a tomar algunos recaudos"

No habla desde el trono que sus logros y el público le construyeron tras su brillante y dorada actuación en los Juegos Olímpicos de Atenas. Tampoco se encierra para pontificar sus verdades en esa merecida galería de los máximos ídolos del deporte argentino en la que ingresó.

Emanuel Ginóbili se expresa con atrapante naturalidad, sin esconder pasiones o sonrisas. Sin temores, con autoridad. Lo hace distendido, con deferencia y sin perder su tono amable. Siempre lo hizo así, con los hinchas para firmarles autógrafos, con los niños en una clínica de basquetbol y también ayer, durante su visita a LA NACION, donde firmó el nuevo contrato como columnista exclusivo por un año más.

"Por supuesto que me halaga que la gente y ustedes me ubiquen entre los mejores deportistas argentinos de la historia. El sólo hecho de que me consideren con posibilidades de estar entre ellos significa un gran orgullo. Pero no soy yo quien tiene que compararse o avalar la elección. Además, es muy difícil hacerlo entre deportistas individuales y de conjunto como el caso de Diego Maradona y el mío. Incluso, yo no viví lo que fue la fiebre por Fangio o por Vilas, sólo recuerdo la de Maradona", relata el bahiense, de 27 años, sin olvidarse del entorno, del equipo y de sus compañeros.

"Con esta camada de jugadores de la selección es más simple lucirse", agregó.

Después del subtítulo en el Mundial 2002 de Indianápolis y el anillo de campeón de la NBA con San Antonio, la figura de Manu creció hasta límites insospechados tras coronarse campeón olímpico y ser elegido el mejor basquetbolista de los Juegos. Los principales medios gráficos y audiovisuales del mundo redimensionaron su condición de estrella y lo transformaron en otro referente inevitable de nuestro país. Sin embargo, él parece al margen de tanta repercusión, aunque acepta que lo obliga a tomar ciertos recaudos.

"No me siento perjudicado por toda la popularidad que me rodea, pero me obligó a tomar algunos cuidados. En San Antonio salgo poco, aunque igual la gente es muy educada y si te pide un autógrafo lo hace con mucho respeto. Acá, cuando vengo a Bahía Blanca, no puedo ir a comer a restaurantes o andar por la calle, pero mucho no me preocupa porque nunca fui de salir. Si lo hacía era por seguir a mis amigos. Siempre preferí comer un asado o estar con ellos en una casa que andar por allí."

Lo que sí le preocupa aún es la seguridad familiar. "Ni bien supe del riesgo que podía correr mi familia se me vino el mundo abajo. Tuve dos o tres días tremendos. Hacía ocho meses que venía hablando con gente y pidiendo que no se le diera trascendencia a los números del contrato, pero fue imposible. L as cifras aparecieron en títulos de los diarios, faltaba que le pusieran luces. En los Estados Unidos no pasa nada con esto. Dicen ¡mirá, ese tipo gana 52 millones de dólares! Acá, en cambio, dicen ¡mirá qué h... de p...! No me quedó otra que ocuparme del tema y tomar recaudos, porque a mis viejos no los puedo llevar conmigo después de vivir 60 años en Bahía Blanca. Ni pienso cambiarlos de casa tampoco."

Desde hoy y por algunos días, hasta que lo llamen desde San Antonio, Manu intentará alejarse de la exposición mediática, descansar en Bahía Blanca y recargar las pilas con el afecto familiar para regresar a la NBA por otro anillo "y cumplir el objetivo de seguir mejorando". Una frase conmovedoramente reiterativa del nuevo gran ídolo del deporte nacional.

Por M. Romano y J. Trenado
De la Redacción de LA NACION

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/anexos/imagen/04/318893.JPG

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/anexos/imagen/04/318949.JPG

hegamboa
09-14-2004, 11:32 AM
here's my crack at the translation....

On the podium of idols

www.lanacion.com.ar/Edici..._id=636210

Emanuel Ginóbili undisputedly established himself as one of the greatest sports heroes in Argentine history. In a brief moment of what he is living through, the flamboyant Olympic champ said, "I don’t feel threatened by the popularity that surrounds me, but I nevertheless feel compelled to take some precautions.”

He doesn’t speak from the throne that his accomplishments and the public have constructed after his brilliant and decorated performance in the Athens Olympic Games. But he doesn’t shun away to pontificate the merits of that worthy gallery of all-time argentine sports idols to which he has recently ‘entered’.

Emanuel Ginóbili expresses himself in a captivating manner, without withholding his passion or smile. Fearless, and commanding. He does so, relaxed, in complete deference and without losing his amiable tone. He has always done it this way, with fans who want his autograph, with children at basketball clinics and even yesterday during his visit with LA NACION, where he just signed an extension to be the exclusive columnist for one more year.

”Of course I’m flattered that people and [you all] have placed me among the best argentine sports heroes in history. The simple fact that you all would even consider the possibility of me being among them is something to be proud of. But it’s not me who should compare or ‘lobby for’ an election. Besides, it would be very difficult to compare individual performers and team players; as would be the case for players such as Diego Maradona and myself. In fact, I wasn’t even around for the craze over Fangio or Vilas, I only remember Maradona,” recalls the 27 year old ‘bahiense’, not forgetting his place in the scope of his role in a team, and his teammates.

“By having this squad of players on the national team, it is much easier to impress,” he added.

After the 2nd place finish at the 2002 World Championship in Indianapolis, and the championship ring he attained as a member of the San Antonio Spurs, Manu’s fame grew to unsuspecting heights… Now after being crowned Olympic champ and being selected as the tournament’s best player, the chief media outlets and worldwide audiovisual broadcasters have redefined his condition as a legitimate star. In doing so, they have transformed him into another inevitable reference of our country.
Nevertheless, he is skirting the margin of such repercussions, though he acknowledges that it has obligated him to take certain precautions.

“In San Antonio, I don’t go out much, although the people there are very educated and if they ask me for an autograph, they do so with much respect. Here, whenever I come to my hometown of Bahía Blanca, I can’t go out to restaurants or simply stroll down the streets; but even then that doesn’t bother me because I was never much of a “going-out” person. If I did go out, it was because I was following my friends. I always preferred to eat from the grill or to be with them in a house as opposed to just hanging around outside.”

”What does bother me is my family’s security. I underestimated the risk that my family would run, and then the floor was removed from beneath me. I endured two or three very stressful days. About eight months ago I was talking to my people and asking them not to mention the transcendence of my contract’s possible figures… but it was impossible. The numbers appeared in headlines throughout the country… they only needed to put flashing lights around them. In the USA, this does little to stir up the community. They say, ‘Look, that dude earns 52 million dollars!’ where as here they say, ‘Look at the f…… s.. o. a b….! I’m not going to fester the topic, but I was left without an option other than to take certain precautions, especially because I can’t take my parents out of Bahía Blanca after living here for over 60 years. And I certainly don’t plan on moving their residence either.”

From today forward and for a few days, before he is summoned in San Antonio, Manu will try to stay away from any media exposure and will try to rest in Bahia Blanca to recharge his batteries with the ultimate, and all too familiar, intent of returning for another NBA ring. “and to fulfill the objective of constant improvement” A stirring re-iterative phrase from the new grand, national sports idol.

By M. Romano y J. Trenado
from the narrative found in LA NACION

SLOVENIAN 8
09-14-2004, 12:21 PM
Thanks for translation!!!!:wink