PDA

View Full Version : Is TP to blame really....?

Gervin44Silas13
06-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Okay so TP made some BS comments about the team and he had some off the court activites...ha ha! The bottom line here is di he break a morals clause in his contract?...I understand the Biz as well sure he's a tradeable asset...played well all season except in the playoffs.....so....why not hold Bonner and RJ accountable...It's gonna be tough to unload all that money...but they are the real reason why we lost.

In honesty to blame was the FO....we had the same team last year and made no adjustments or moves....yes we had not cap money but...still if you want to compete you gotta make the moves. We never got Dncan any help...That year we lost to Dallas in 2009...was a turing point...and we knew it!!!!!

Dark days ahead Spurs fans be fucking ready...and don't come into the AT&T center with any other team jersey. I saw that crap in the late 80's and mid 90's..that fucking sucked!

This Prelude to decline is gonna show how many bandwagon Spurs fans are out there...

John Basedow
06-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Okay so TP made some BS comments about the team and he had some off the court activites...ha ha! The bottom line here is di he break a morals clause in his contract?...I understand the Biz as well sure he's a tradeable asset...played well all season except in the playoffs.....so....why not hold Bonner and RJ accountable...It's gonna be tough to unload all that money...but they are the real reason why we lost.

In honesty to blame was the FO....we had the same team last year and made no adjustments or moves....yes we had not cap money but...still if you want to compete you gotta make the moves. We never got Dncan any help...That year we lost to Dallas in 2009...was a turing point...and we knew it!!!!!

Dark days ahead Spurs fans be fucking ready...and don't come into the AT&T center with any other team jersey. I saw that crap in the late 80's and mid 90's..that fucking sucked!

This Prelude to decline is gonna show how many bandwagon Spurs fans are out there...

That was painful to read. I'm not discrediting the content of your post, but the sentence structure made my eyes bleed.

Leetonidas
06-22-2011, 01:19 PM
TP isn't the problem, everyone knows this. He was probably our best and most consistent all-around player this season, he had a great year minus the Memphis series. The problem is that he is our only tradeable chip.

hater
06-22-2011, 01:20 PM
yes really.

2nd best player in the team that won 61 games got outplayed by Grievis Vazquez and Michael Conley 6 games in a row. Let me repeat. Grievis Vazquez and Michael Conley.

redskinfan
06-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Parker is a good Robin to a Batman problem is we got no Batman anymore so as our best tradeable chip I say DO IT!!!!

Leetonidas
06-22-2011, 01:37 PM
yes really.

2nd best player in the team that won 61 games got outplayed by Grievis Vazquez and Michael Conley 6 games in a row. Let me repeat. Grievis Vazquez and Michael Conley.

Our entire team got outplayed, what's your point? The only one who did shit was Manu and he had one arm. Duncan was checked by Gasol and Haddadi.

hater
06-22-2011, 01:47 PM
who's numbers plummeted by a huge margin?

Gasol + Allen = top defenders

who was supposed to feast on the grizz weak points?

who shot 24% in game 1???

who made the stupidest turnovers late in game 4 and 6??

Cane
06-22-2011, 02:02 PM
31 assists to 20 turnovers from your starting PG is a problem. Parker has declined as Duncan did. But fast, score-first guards are common in the league so I'm not sure what Parker can really get for the Spurs. Players like Duncan and Manu are not as easily replaced and they're older. RJ's the bigger problem though.

Leetonidas
06-22-2011, 02:07 PM
who's numbers plummeted by a huge margin?

Gasol + Allen = top defenders

who was supposed to feast on the grizz weak points?

who shot 24% in game 1???

who made the stupidest turnovers late in game 4 and 6??

You forget that they packed the paint taking away Tony's biggest advantage and when his teammates cannot hit a three to save their lives of course his game is going to suffer.

I will say that he did play like shit, I'm not saying he played great or anything. But he wasn't the MAIN problem. Everyone sucked ass against the Grizzlies. Lionel Hollins outcoached Pop and Pop did nothing to make adjustments.

hater
06-22-2011, 02:10 PM
You forget that they packed the paint taking away Tony's biggest advantage and when his teammates cannot hit a three to save their lives of course his game is going to suffer.

I will say that he did play like shit, I'm not saying he played great or anything. But he wasn't the MAIN problem. Everyone sucked ass against the Grizzlies. Lionel Hollins outcoached Pop and Pop did nothing to make adjustments.

again. When your top 2 player maybe even top player "plays like shit" like you say. Of course he is to blame.

I didn't say anything about him being the MAIN problem.

IMO him and Pop deserve equal blame and they both are main reason we lost. Yes. I do believe we could have beated the Grizz with great coaching and a PG playing at all-star level. We had neither.

JsnSA
06-22-2011, 02:46 PM
I would say that TP was one of the key reasons the Spurs lost in the first round. That said, there were plenty of Spurs players that did not play up to their potential in that series.

As to TP's comments I am not upset about that at all. Most everybody who is not a Spurs fan feels that way about the team. It is quite possible it is true and even if Tony believes that, it doesn't mean he won't give his all next season. It also could just mean that he expects we will need to work some trades to be competitive which all may be true.

If we trade TP I don't think it will be due to his performance in the playoffs nor his comment to French media. Instead it will be because he is the only player we have that has any real trade value right now.

Also...the pic they have of Tony on sports.yahoo.com right now is AWESOME!

Kermit
06-22-2011, 02:54 PM
IMO, if Tony gets traded it's because he will fetch the most value. It's not because of anything he's said. The shit that comes out of his mouth ends up being the brutal truth most of the time anyway.

alchemist
06-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Tony isn't the problem he's just the biggest trade chip the Spurs have that anyone will take.

DAF86
06-22-2011, 04:45 PM
TP isn't the problem, everyone knows this. He was probably our best and most consistent all-around player this season, he had a great year minus the Memphis series. The problem is that he is our only tradeable chip.

Don't you think NBA contenders would like to have savy champions like Tim and Manu on their roster? Neal and Hill are valuable assets too.

DeadlyDynasty
06-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Don't you think NBA contenders would like to have savy champions like Tim and Manu on their roster? Neal and Hill are valuable assets too.

Hill and Parker are your trade chips. Nobody's gonna want Tim or Manu unless they're getting them for bargain-bin prices. 34 and 35 y/o respectively, and Manu's had an array of injuries for the last several years.

Parker is 29 and is still damn good. Neal's a throw-in.

DAF86
06-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Hill and Parker are your trade chips. Nobody's gonna want Tim or Manu unless they're getting them for bargain-bin prices. 34 and 35 y/o respectively, and Manu's had an array of injuries for the last several years.

Neal > Hill

And Don't you think Miami would love to have a Tim Duncan in there instead of Joel Anthony? I'm not talking about how they get them, I'm just saying that they're a valuable pieces for contenders.

JsnSA
06-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Tim costs too much for the sort of productivity he can provide now. Any team would like to have Tim on the roster but I doubt many would be willing to pay his salary at this point. The only people who would be interested in that would be someone looking to dump a long contract they don't want with Tim's which will be expiring soon enough.

DAF86
06-22-2011, 05:51 PM
If Miami can make a deal to land Duncan, I'm sure they wouldn't mind paying some extra bucks, I think most teams in "win now" mode wouldn't mind paying the price to improve the roster like that.

Jace
06-22-2011, 09:15 PM

I agree with Duncan, too little production for 20 million. But Manu is still damn good and while he did break down, he also played an insane amount of minutes. Think of the teams who could have used him in the playoffs, how many players are better than him on the offensively challenged Bulls?

DMC
06-22-2011, 09:34 PM
If Tim resigns, it will be for much less. I think he retires, but the last 20 million is part of the deal. His contributions are about what Pop's scheme is allowing him to do. He can still put points on the board and defend as well as many teams' best big men.

Pauleta14
06-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Parker is a good Robin to a Batman problem is we got no Batman anymore so as our best tradeable chip I say DO IT!!!!

Parker was used as Robin the whole season and couldn't find his batman uniform until the overtime of the 4th game...

I mean that (even if it's not an excuse), Pop never gave Parker trust the whole season in the 4th quarter, even when Manu sucked or was tired.

IMO, he was "comfortable whth this role and didn't adapt quickly enough to his "new role" once Manu got injured.

He is obviously the 1st to blame, but not the only one...

Bender
06-22-2011, 10:54 PM
That was painful to read. I'm not discrediting the content of your post, but the sentence structure made my eyes bleed.
must be an ESL thing

itzsoweezee
06-22-2011, 10:56 PM
Parker was not the problem.

The Spurs got absolutely dominated in the frontcourt, on both ends of the court. That was the problem.

Duncan was shit, Bonner was shit, McDyess was mostly shit, and Blair didn't even get any playing time. Popovich also shit the bed with the Tiago situation.

All in all, it was mostly Popovich's horrible rotations in the frontcourt that cost the Spurs the series.

Ice009
06-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Parker was used as Robin the whole season and couldn't find his batman uniform until the overtime of the 4th game...

I mean that (even if it's not an excuse), Pop never gave Parker trust the whole season in the 4th quarter, even when Manu sucked or was tired.

IMO, he was "comfortable whth this role and didn't adapt quickly enough to his "new role" once Manu got injured.

He is obviously the 1st to blame, but not the only one...

TP has somehow lost his edge IMO and your reason might be the one. He just didn't have that same overall killer instinct that he usually has any other season. He had a better season overall that the last two seasons, but I just thought he was missing that usual TP killer instinct for the second half of the season and playoffs.

He is a lot better than he showed in the playoffs and for me it was one of the rare times I was disappointed with his play in the playoffs. Really, really disappointed. I even think he was better in his rookie season in the playoffs against Seattle and LA.

joshdaboss
06-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: I hope that you are a troll.

Pauleta14
06-22-2011, 11:29 PM
TP has somehow lost his edge IMO and your reason might be the one. He just didn't have that same overall killer instinct that he usually has any other season. He had a better season overall that the last two seasons, but I just thought he was missing that usual TP killer instinct for the second half of the season and playoffs.

He is a lot better than he showed in the playoffs and for me it was one of the rare times I was disappointed with his play in the playoffs. Really, really disappointed. I even think he was better in his rookie season in the playoffs against Seattle and LA.

Exactly, I couldn't have said it better...

That and his regular season production (FG% and unselfishness) are the main reason why the spurs should keep him, people (most of the national media + some STalkers) who think that what Parker has shown in the PO is his true level are soo wrong, it's crazy...

will_spurs
06-23-2011, 01:51 AM
31 assists to 20 turnovers from your starting PG is a problem.

Because 21 assists to 17 turnovers from your starting SG isn't a problem? And another 18 turnovers from your starting PF isn't an issue either?

Let's face it, everybody stunk. Everybody piles up on Parker, but each of the big 3 averaged 3 turnovers per game or more for the whole series, and Ginobili actually averaged more TO per game than Parker. It's not like everybody wasn't playing bad and giving the ball away at critical points in time.

Our frontcourt sucked all the way. Despite playing significantly more minutes than during the regular season, Duncan averaged fewer ppg (while Manu's and Tony's productions increased). Both Duncan's and Parker's FG% declined significantly during the playoffs.

All the roleplayers declined a lot more than any of the big 3 too. They were abysmal, except Neal.

Parker wasn't playing his best against MEM, neither was anybody. He had his moments, good and bad. Like all the other players. It was a team disaster, no need to try and pin it on one guy only.

SpursIndonesia
06-23-2011, 05:28 AM
I think it's well understand that when teams pack the lane and our perimeter shooter can't punish them, Tony's game takes a significant hit, ESPECIALLY when he was cold from the midrange at the same time (while opposing defense will simply allow him to take those midrange shots). Up to this moment, Tony's midrange shot is still not uber consistant, just average, but streaky as hell.

Those things happened in unison at the Memphis series, he tried to force things, and the end result were not good at all, since Memphis guard were also playing superbly against him, waay over their head.

will_spurs
06-23-2011, 05:38 AM

Hmmm let me see.

Player 1 scored 19.7 ppg on 46.2% shooting in 36.8 mpg, to go with 5.2 assists, 2.7 rebounds and 3.3 TOs.

Player 2 scored 14.3 ppg on 39.5% shooting in 38.2 mpg, to go with 6.2 assists, 4.5 rebounds and 2.2 TOs

Which one outplayed the other?

EDIT: since I am in a playful mood, let's play another game:

Player 1 scored 21.5 ppg on 50% shooting in 37.3 mpg, to go with 3.3 assists, 9.2 rebounds and 2 TOs

Player 2 scored 12.7 pgg on 47.8% shooting in 35.3 mpg, to go with 2.7 assists, 10.5 rebounds and 3 TOs

romain.star
06-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Hmmm let me see.

Player 1 scored 19.7 ppg on 46.2% shooting in 36.8 mpg, to go with 5.2 assists, 2.7 rebounds and 3.3 TOs.

Player 2 scored 14.3 ppg on 39.5% shooting in 38.2 mpg, to go with 6.2 assists, 4.5 rebounds and 2.2 TOs

EDIT: since I am in a playful mood, let's play another game:

Player 1 scored 21.5 ppg on 50% shooting in 37.3 mpg, to go with 3.3 assists, 9.2 rebounds and 2 TOs

Player 2 scored 12.7 pgg on 47.8% shooting in 35.3 mpg, to go with 2.7 assists, 10.5 rebounds and 3 TOs

Wow, Parker numbers are pretty darn good for a player who disappeared/quitted/chocked.

People might be way too hard on him (nothing new here) but against Memphis, Parker numbers don't tell the whole story. Terrible defense, no intangibles, no leadership, stupid choices during the money time...

Anyway, it gets to the point where it'd be better for everyone to see Parker leave (the Spurs, Parker himself and more importantly: Spurstalk)

ElNono
06-23-2011, 10:08 AM

If Player 1 is Tony and Player 2 is Conley, then that's pretty disappointing. After you translate the difference in assists, turnovers and rebounds into points you're looking at a pretty even performance between the two.

Going into the series it was pretty clear that Tony was one of the mismatches in the Spurs' favor. You're talking a multiple champ, seasoned vet in his prime, versus a relatively young guy getting his feet wet in the playoffs.

But in Tony's defense, he wasn't the only one underestimating the opponent.

will_spurs
06-23-2011, 10:44 AM
If Player 1 is Tony and Player 2 is Conley, then that's pretty disappointing. After you translate the difference in assists, turnovers and rebounds into points you're looking at a pretty even performance between the two.

I agree that it's pretty disappointing. However it's still quite far from outplaying. The 2 stats that look bad for Tony are assists and TOs: I wouldn't be surprised to see assists linked to overall bad team shooting, and all the Spurs players had problems with TOs against a young, athletic, aggressive team that was known for getting a lot of steals off opponents.

All this to say that I'm not trying to defend Parker as it's clear he played poorly in some games and made some bad decisions, but I think as much can be said of any Spurs player not named Neal.

hater
06-23-2011, 11:08 AM
watch the series again. Parker didnt even show up for game 1. Conley outplayed him for the first 3 games. Around game 4, Grievis Vasquez was so efficient that Conley lost minutes to him. That is mainly why Conleys numbers drop off. Grievis fucking Vazquez started looking like a solid NBA player vs. Parker. Let me repeat. Grievis fucking Vazquez was so efficient vs. Parker that he took minutes from Conley.

Parker did pick it up a little in the last 3 games but it was too little too late. Again, the Vasquez/Conley tandem outplayed Parker. That should have never happened. plain and simple.

SpursIndonesia
06-23-2011, 12:07 PM
LOL, asking TP to dominate Memphis series is like asking him to be a Jordan, well, he certainly isn't. TP needs good team performance, or atleast average, to allow his game shining. But having frontcourt that was totally destroyed and overmatched, a fellow all star guard who was playing with one hand, a sixth man who regressed so bad he looked clueless at times, and a vagina 40 mil SF, those things affected his game in a very negative way.

He WAS playing below average and expectation, but that also the status of overall Spurs team.