PDA

View Full Version : Draft Express: Spurs offering Hill for high draft picks

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-22-2011, 02:14 PM
@DraftExpress
Jonathan Givony
NBA sources say San Antonio has offered George Hill to Milwaukee (#10), Golden State (#11) and Utah (#12) in exchange for their pick.http://twitter.com/#!/DraftExpress/status/83613173210550272

lmbebo
06-22-2011, 02:16 PM
i see this as more plausible.

Gino2882
06-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Why?

Is there really anyone they could get there that is gonna be a better player than Hill?

5in10
06-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Who do the Spurs like enough to want to move up into the Lottery?
Chad Ford
(2:00 PM)

Valanciunas is a draw as a legit center. They're also high on Klay Thompson I believe. I'm not sure they need to trade Parker to move way up in the draft. George Hill could probably get them somewhere in the late lottery.

lurker23
06-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Simply quoting myself from the Parker thread:

The more and more I think about this whole situation, the more I think that this is the most likely scenario. By floating Tony Parker trade rumors, the Spurs raise George Hill's value. The effect wouldn't be huge, but even if it's just a few spots upward in the draft, it could make all the difference if they've got someone in particular targeted.

As much as I like Hill, trading Hill makes a lot more sense than trading Parker. Parker is a huge part of your current core who you just locked up for 4 years. He's an All-Star, and a big part of what makes the offense run. George Hill is a combo guard on a team that suddenly finds itself crowded at the 2. He's on the last year of his rookie contract, and he'll be looking for a decent payday next summer. If Parker is still around, the Spurs will want to give him bench/role player money. Given his potential and previous play, other teams might be willing to give him starter money. As the Spurs, if you're worried about this at all, you trade him now while his value is highest.

Now the question is, who are they after? One name that comes to mind, both in the 5-7 range and potentially in the 10-12 range, is Tristan Thompson.

objective
06-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Why?

Is there really anyone they could get there that is gonna be a better player than Hill?

Absolutely. Chris Singleton could play a huge role for this team as a defensive SF. Having someone who could defend everywhere on the perimeter instead of gutless cowards like Jefferson would make the Spurs defense a lot better.

Hill is replaceable by other parts on the roster like Neal and Anderson. He's not worth keeping solely as a backup point because that's not many minutes and he's not particularly good at running a team.

Bruno
06-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Spurs going Lithuanian (Valanciunas or Motiejunas) also seems like a solid option.

baseline bum
06-22-2011, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to moving Hill with 2 other equivalently talented backup shooting guards on the roster (Anderson, Neal).

Spurs Brazil
06-22-2011, 02:39 PM
That's a trade I would like. We need a real backup PG and Neal and James can play at SG.

5in10
Agree with this. Although I doubt Val will be around. Maybe the spurs see something in Montie that other teams dont.

baseline bum
Simply quoting myself from the Parker thread:

Now the question is, who are they after? One name that comes to mind, both in the 5-7 range and potentially in the 10-12 range, is Tristan Thompson.

Hill for Thompson would be a really nice move, and if the Spurs can find anyone dumb enough to make it with them I'd be very happy tomorrow.

lurker23
06-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Spurs going Lithuanian (Valanciunas or Motiejunas) also seems like a solid option.

Bruno, is it fair to say that either of these options would have minimal impact on next year, with more of a focus on 2-6 years from now?

5in10
06-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Biyombo?

jjktkk
06-22-2011, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to moving Hill with 2 other equivalently talented backup shooting guards on the roster (Anderson, Neal).

This. But if they do trade Hill, they will have to look for a similar, combo g, or a more traditional pg, for depth.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-22-2011, 02:48 PM
I would love to trade Hill for the sake of freeing Anderson. After being injured and at the end of the bench last year, a new season and a better opportunity can lead to a breakthrough from him.

Getting Valanciunas/Montiejunas would also be a great step in rebuilding the front court. Putting Splitter in the lineup and allowing whichever to show what they're made of is a good move.

That would leave the backup PG and SF as the main focuses of the offseason. Go look for the PG through free agency and pray to God that someone bites on Jefferson.

baseline bum
06-22-2011, 02:49 PM
This. But if they do trade Hill, they will have to look for a similar, combo g, or a more traditional pg, for depth.

They need a backup PG whether or not they trade Hill though. In the worst case I'm ok with giving Neal 10 minutes a night at the position, especially considering he doesn't get destroyed every time he defends a pick and roll like Hill does.

5in10

Draft Reggie Jackson, Darrius Morris, or Norris cole with the #29.

yavozerb

I agree..Dont think they would be able to get Valanciunas with a mid to late lotto pick but it should net them Motiejunas.

SenorSpur
06-22-2011, 02:50 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/DraftExpress/status/83613173210550272

This makes waaaaay more sense. Hill is a nice player, but as an undersized SG, and an overrated defender. Basically, he's a luxury on this team - at a position where the Spurs already have a logjam. This team needs size - in the worst way. If they can trade Hill to acquire a late-lottery pick and nab a young big that helps fill one of their specific needs, that's smart business.

objective
06-22-2011, 02:53 PM
re: backup point, I've posted a few times about how I would be happy if the Spurs moved Hill for Singleton (or any other lotto option), and then reached at 29 for Shelvin Mack. Maybe it's too high for him, but I think he can be a solid back-up point option considering he won't have too many ball handling responsibilities.

He can be a bulldog on defense (pun intended), can hit the open 3, and isn't terrible in the pick-&-roll. Never be more than a career back-up, but a good steady possibility.

MaNu4Tres
06-22-2011, 02:56 PM
I've been saying this for a while already.

Many posters on this board where worried about Spurs not having enough money for Hill when his contract expired. I thought it would be idiotic to invest in him when the Spurs resigned Tony Parker.

It makes a lot of sense to deal Hill as his rookie deal is about to be over (I don't think Spurs would be happy paying 7 plus million per year for a back-up point/shooting guard). It's wise to go ahead and move him now to get a valuable high pick, which will be a cheap option as well from a salary perspective.

Smart move by the Spurs if this transpires.

And this free's up minutes for Neal and Anderson as well, who both can fill in the productive void left by Hill.

Bruno
06-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Bruno, is it fair to say that either of these options would have minimal impact on next year, with more of a focus on 2-6 years from now?

Valanciunas is a damn great prospect with a crazy upside. He could become one of the best player in the NBA. He has a buyout problem so he shouldn't join the NBA next year. Add to that his young age and it's clear he is a long term prospect.

Motiejunas he is a less exciting prospect. He is very talented offensively but there are some questions marks about his toughness. I don't see him as a long term prospect. If he is able to match the physical intensity of the NBA, he should be able to contribute in his rookie year unless Pop decides to do like with Tiago again.

TimmehC
06-22-2011, 02:59 PM
I like Vala(who seems to be dropping on team's boards due to his buyout issues) and Singleton. Solid trade if we can get one of those two.

baseline bum
06-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Valanciunas is a damn great prospect with a crazy upside. He could become one of the best player in the NBA. He has a buyout problem so he shouldn't join the NBA next year. Add to that his young age and it's clear he is a long term prospect.

Motiejunas he is a less exciting prospect. He is very talented offensively but there are some questions marks about his toughness. I don't see him as a long term prospect. If he is able to match the physical intensity of the NBA, he should be able to contribute in his rookie year unless Pop decides to do like with Tiago again.

You think the buyout on Valaciunas is going to scare anyone away when the draft class is so weak and there may not be a season next year anyways? Teams would be crazy to not swing for the fences this year.

dbreiden83080
06-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Why?

Everyone seems to be writing off that there are even sleepers in this draft. Lots of players billed as "Can't miss" sure bombed over the years in the top 10.. Spurs got Manu in the late 2nd round..

Bruno
06-22-2011, 03:04 PM
They need a backup PG whether or not they trade Hill though. In the worst case I'm ok with giving Neal 10 minutes a night at the position, especially considering he doesn't get destroyed every time he defends a pick and roll like Hill does.

It should be fine with Manu being on the court when Neal is the backup PG. Without Hill, I woudl start Parker with James Anderson and have Neal with Manu in the second unit.

Another option I like is signing Earl Watson as a free agent. His main edge is that he should be cheap.

Mal
06-22-2011, 03:04 PM
I agree..Dont think they would be able to get Valanciunas with a mid to late lotto pick but it should net them Motiejunas.

Look at teams in TOP 7. They are tired of losing every game . They need players to improve their rosters right now. Only Jazz could wait a year for players. If Jazz take PG at 3, and Jimmer at 12, I could see Valanciunas dropping to 8-11 pick.

MannyIsGod
06-22-2011, 03:05 PM

Many posters on this board where worried about Spurs not having enough money for Hill when his contract expired. I thought it would be idiotic to invest in him when the Spurs resigned Tony Parker.

It makes a lot of sense to deal Hill as his rookie deal is about to be over (I don't think Spurs would be happy paying 7 plus million per year for a back-up point/shooting guard). It's wise to go ahead and move him now to get a valuable high pick, which will be a cheap option as well from a salary perspective.

And this free's up minutes for Neal and Anderson as well, who both can fill in the productive void left by Hill.

Not to mention that Hill is the exact type of player that will get overpaid in his first free agency. Makes a lot of sense to move him due to redundancy and future costs.

baseline bum
06-22-2011, 03:06 PM
It should be fine with Manu being on the court when Neal is the backup PG. Without Hill, I woudl start Parker with James Anderson and have Neal with Manu in the second unit.

Another option I like is signing Earl Watson as a free agent. His main edge is that he should be cheap.

I like Watson too, though his ridiculous alley-oop skills would be lost on the Spurs (seriously, this guy used to throw 2 or 3 alley-oops from midcourt every game when he was at UCLA).

Bruno
06-22-2011, 03:07 PM
You think the buyout on Valaciunas is going to scare anyone away when the draft class is so weak and there may not be a season next year anyways? Teams would be crazy to not swing for the fences this year.

It scared a lot of team with Splitter that was in a similar option. A lot of GMs are on the fence and using a lottery pick on a player who won't help the next year isn't easy to do. Spurs have the edge of having a stability in their FO.

objective
06-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Even if 10-12 turn the Spurs down, if their target slides the Spurs might be able to flip Hill to Indiana at 15. Hometown kid, still cheap and with a couple of years on his deal, doesn't hurt their cap for this summer or next, and can play a nice role for them.

Hill is more proven than anyone at 15, and maybe Singleton or Montiejunas slides there.

baseline bum
06-22-2011, 03:09 PM
It scared a lot of team with Splitter that was in a similar option. A lot of GMs are on the fence and using a lottery pick on a player who won't help the next year isn't easy to do. Spurs have the edge of having a stability in their FO.

I hope so. If they turn Hill into an A-level prospect that would really be something. Even a B-level prospect like Thompson would be pretty nice though.

DPG21920
06-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Spurs, while I'm sure they like Hill just fine have already agreed to trade him once (deal with the Clippers that fell through). As others have alluded to, it's not that Hill isn't productive, but that the benefit of getting a SF who is productive outweighs keeping a better overall talent when we have other talent stacked up.

We will see if this materializes. Hill has already proven himself in the NBA somewhat so if the Spurs are serious about moving him for a lotto pick, it shouldn't be hard in this draft.

Bruno
06-22-2011, 03:13 PM
When I read reports about Kanter going #2, I have no doubt that, without his buyout issues, Valanciunas would have been drafted #2. He is that good.

ABrooks111
06-22-2011, 03:20 PM
When I read reports about Kanter going #2, I have no doubt that, without his buyout issues, Valanciunas would have been drafted #2. He is that good.

If Minnesota takes Kanter with their #2 pick then they're just fucking lazy with their draft positioning.

Hooks
06-22-2011, 03:26 PM
The Spurs should definitely go after Singleton, I haven't seen him play but he's a huge SF at 6'9 230, and from what I've read he's a lock defender and is very athletic. He'd be perfect for the Spurs, sounds like he could turn into a Ron Artest type player.

Mr. Body
06-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Singleton is the type of player we badly needed after Bowen left. Not sure that's who we'd go for, however.

Maddog
06-22-2011, 03:31 PM

Not to mention that Hill is the exact type of player that will get overpaid in his first free agency. Makes a lot of sense to move him due to redundancy and future costs.
Neal, Anderson and potently Green and Butler.
A lot of depth at the 2 spot along with Manu.
This makes a lot of sense
I like the kid, but he is a classic tweener.

Roger Freemason Jr.
06-22-2011, 03:36 PM
This is the worst thing the Spurs front office has ever done. This year's draft prospects are among the weakest in NBA history, none of them are game changers, none of them have even proven themselves to be effective role players. Hill's mental disadvantages are a mundane problem that can be fixed.

Oh yeah, I know Pop wants that 7 foot floor spreader from Italy, so he can find another reason not to give Splitter minutes.

MaNu4Tres
06-22-2011, 03:39 PM

Co-signed.

Bruno
06-22-2011, 03:43 PM
There are some rumors in French medias about Batum being traded on draft day. I like the idea of a trade around Batum for Hill.

Mr. Body
06-22-2011, 03:52 PM
There are some rumors in French medias about Batum being traded on draft day. I like the idea of a trade around Batum for Hill.

Wouldn't that be massively ironic.

cheguevara
06-22-2011, 03:53 PM
you know it's a sad draft when ppl are just throwing random names around

:pctoss

kobyz
06-22-2011, 04:10 PM
who the Spurs are kidding, George Hill is insignificant player, teams know that and i doubt if even a late first round pick they could get out of him, he is not a good player!

DesignatedT
06-22-2011, 04:17 PM
I'm sure it all comes back to getting rid of Jefferson. Don't see the Spurs making any significant move unless he is involved IMO.

Ditty
06-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Spurs getting Singleton for Hill would make my offseason...Hill is absolutley replaceable, and would mean spurs can get either Bertans or Mirotic, and wait 2 years or so without spurs fans mad about us getting a international player. A Singleton and Anderson SF and SG duo would be huge for the future.

DesignatedT
06-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Package Hill and RJ for a lottery pick and select Singleton/Thompson or Vucevic.

spurspokesman
06-22-2011, 04:56 PM
I like Watson too, though his ridiculous alley-oop skills would be lost on the Spurs (seriously, this guy used to throw 2 or 3 alley-oops from midcourt every game when he was at UCLA).
We have one bewildered player on our roster that could use 2 to 3 alley oops to not be considered useless.

ohmwrecker
06-22-2011, 04:58 PM
It has been my understanding that Valanciunas would not be available for the Spurs to buyout until 2012-2013 (although, I suppose that isn't set in stone). If the Spurs are truly trying to move into position to draft him, are they forsaking success in Duncan's remaining year(s), or are they hoping to remain relevant while planning for a future without #21?

timvp
06-22-2011, 05:06 PM
As much as I like Hill, the truth is that he's redundant. If the Spurs have a target they love in the lottery, I wouldn't be against a trade involving Hill.

Although, that said, I doubt any trade of Hill for a rookie makes the Spurs a better team next year. It's rare for Pop to trust a rookie ... and even if he does, it's rare for a rookie to play well in the playoffs.

I'd trade Hill but let's not pretend the Spurs will be better off in the short-term because of such a deal.

jjktkk
06-22-2011, 05:17 PM
As much as I like Hill, the truth is that he's redundant. If the Spurs have a target they love in the lottery, I wouldn't be against a trade involving Hill.

Although, that said, I doubt any trade of Hill for a rookie makes the Spurs a better team next year. It's rare for Pop to trust a rookie ... and even if he does, it's rare for a rookie to play well in the playoffs.

I'd trade Hill but let's not pretend the Spurs will be better off in the short-term because of such a deal.

Why not? The combination of Ginoboli, and Neal, not to mention Anderson, would offset the possible trade of Hill. Not that I want Hill gone, but if RC can get value on trading Hill, I'm all for it.

rjv
06-22-2011, 05:19 PM
if we could get biyombo for hill i would be very happy with that.

ohmwrecker
06-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Why not? The combination of Ginoboli, and Neal, not to mention Anderson, would offset the possible trade of Hill. Not that I want Hill gone, but if RC can get value on trading Hill, I'm all for it.

I don't know if I agree with that. As much as I dog hill for his lack of PG skills (more of an issue with Pop really), he is the Spurs best wing defender. He hasn't developed as a clutch playoff performer, but he is fearless and has done an outstanding job defensively on some of the league's toughest covers. It's hard to see a late lottery pick who will have as much value and impact as Hill. At least not right away.

DesignatedT
06-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Anderson will turn out to be a better pro then Hill IMO. I like Hill but wouldn't mind getting rid of him if it addresses some of our needs (Getting rid of RJ and getting a different wing/Getting bigger on the front line). If the reports about the Spurs being very impressed with Anderson so far this summer are true then I could very well see this happening. George Hills defense is immensely overrated as well.

jjktkk
06-22-2011, 05:29 PM
I don't know if I agree with that. As much as I dog hill for his lack of PG skills (more of an issue with Pop really), he is the Spurs best wing defender. He hasn't developed as a clutch playoff performer, but he is fearless and has done an outstanding job defensively on some of the league's toughest covers. It's hard to see a late lottery pick who will have as much value and impact as Hill. At least not right away.

I agree that Hill is our best perimeter defender and a valuable role player, but hes expendable imo. Would much rather trade Hill, than Parker.

SenorSpur
06-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Anderson will turn out to be a better pro then Hill IMO. I like Hill but wouldn't mind getting rid of him if it addresses some of our needs (Getting rid of RJ and getting a different wing/Getting bigger on the front line). If the reports about the Spurs being very impressed with Anderson so far this summer are true then I could very well see this happening. George Hills defense is immensely overrated as well.

Perhaps packaging Hill, who has a low-cost contract, with RJ, is the way to go.

DesignatedT
06-22-2011, 05:34 PM

Would still have to find a suitor. Sacramento would be the easy route to go since they are so far under the cap but if they don't feel like they want to do that deal then finding a different team could be the problem seeing that RJ and Hill would account for around 10 mil.

joshdaboss
06-22-2011, 05:35 PM
The team needs to get back to its defensive roots. Parker is a defensive liability. Hill is not. It becomes a no-brainer to trade Parker rather than Hill, when you factor in Parker will yield more.

ohmwrecker
06-22-2011, 05:35 PM
I agree that Hill is our best perimeter defender and a valuable role player, but hes expendable imo. Would much rather trade Hill, than Parker.

I am uncomfortable with both scenarios tbh.

I like that better than TP/RJ (much less money for the other team to cover) and could yield one very good player as opposed to a bunch of scrubs.

DesignatedT
06-22-2011, 05:36 PM
To be honest, I am not sure if there is any one facet of Hills games that Anderson couldn't eventually be better at. Of course we haven't seem much of James but he showed a lot on both sides of the ball in his limited court time and the report that the Spurs have been very impressed with him so far this summer is also an indicator.

DesignatedT
06-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Spurs fans overrating Hills defense once again...

TimmehC
06-22-2011, 05:41 PM

Seriously... pick and rolls, pick and rolls, pick and rolls. That's all a team has to do to beat Hill's defense. Even Tony can defend a PnR properly, when he wants to.

ohmwrecker
06-22-2011, 05:44 PM

I'm not overrating him. I said he's the Spurs' best defender on the wing and it's true. Sad, but true.

Bruno
06-22-2011, 05:44 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/30611/latest-buzz-picks-nos-8-11-the-trade-zone

What's the hottest place to be right now in the NBA draft? It appears to be the mid-lottery.

The Pistons, Bobcats, Bucks and Warriors are getting flooded with calls from teams looking to move into that range.

Among the teams who have made calls? The Rockets (who are offering picks Nos. 14 and 23), the Pacers (offering No. 15 and Brandon Rush), the Knicks (No. 17 and Toney Douglas) and the Spurs (George Hill).

Sources say the Rockets and Spurs are interested in Jonas Valanciunas if he ends up sliding. The Spurs are also eying Washington State's Klay Thompson, according to sources. The Knicks are looking at both Thompson and Jimmer Fredette with that pick. For the Pacers, it's Fredette.

The bigger question is ... will any of them make a deal?

The Pistons are seriously considering the Rockets' offer -- especially if Kawhi Leonard and Tristan Thompson are off the board. The target at No. 14?
Markieff Morris. Morris wowed the Pistons in a big workout on Tuesday and they feel he could still be on the board there.

The Bobcats are in the most interesting situation. They are are actually trying to package picks Nos. 9 and 19 to move up a few spots to get a shot at drafting Leonard. However, if Leonard is off the board the Bobcats may be inclined to do a deal with Houston or San Antonio.

I don't think the Bucks or Warriors are inclined to do the Spurs trade, as George Hill doesn't hold a huge appeal to either team. The Rockets trade may hold some interest, but not until certain players are off the board. Both the Bucks and Warriors have interest in Valanciunas if he falls and both players are also fans of Thompson.

jjktkk
06-22-2011, 05:45 PM
I am uncomfortable with both scenarios tbh.

Understandable.

Bruno
06-22-2011, 05:46 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/MHeislerLATimes/status/83665865534488577

FORGET 'RUMORED,' MYSTERY MAN SPURS WANT TO TRADE UP FOR IS DEFINITELY KLAY THOMPSON... Due in NY yesterday, detoured to SA to meet Pop, RC

jjktkk
06-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Just heard on espn, per Bucher, that the Spurs want Sac's, or Tornonto's lottery pick to take Klay Thompson. Hmmm...

DesignatedT
06-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Klay Thompson is catching me pretty off-guard. Very interesting if true.

TJastal
06-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Just heard on espn, per Bucher, that the Spurs want Sac's, or Tornonto's lottery pick to take Klay Thompson. Hmmm...

cool another 6'6" 200 lb SG to add to the growing collection

ABrooks111
06-22-2011, 05:52 PM
If we trade TP straight up for Klay Thompson...

Jesus Tittyfuck... :bang

lurker23
06-22-2011, 05:52 PM
So since we're hearing these reports, does that mean it definitely ISN'T Klay Thompson they're interested in?

baseline bum
06-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Hill the best wing defender on the team? :rollin

No way. He gets eaten alive by anyone who can run a competent pick and roll.

DesignatedT
06-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Vg0QLr9BABg

Gotta pretty shot.

DPG21920
06-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Most guys do in workouts.

DesignatedT
06-22-2011, 05:58 PM
So since we're hearing these reports, does that mean it definitely ISN'T Klay Thompson they're interested in?

pretty much :lol although the report that he detoured to san antonio is pretty interesting

SenorSpur
06-22-2011, 05:59 PM

Yuck. I don't like this guy at all. Yet another unathletic, one-dimensional, spot-up shooter, who is a poor defender.

This had better be a smokescreen.

DPG21920
06-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Also, clearly shooting/scoring was the Spurs problem. Even if it's Hill for him, it's silly. Hill is probably the Spurs best 3PT shooter (outside of Bonner) so replacing him for shooting is just silly.

TJastal
06-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Vg0QLr9BABg

Gotta pretty shot.

Reminds me a tad of Ray Allen's jumper. I wonder if this means fat-boy Anderson is getting shipped out?

MaNu4Tres
Kid has game. :tu

djehTM-u35I

ohmwrecker
Hill the best wing defender on the team?

Who's better?

GB20
06-22-2011, 06:03 PM
when was the last time the spurs make a trade during draft night?

baseline bum
Who's better?

Parker is a lot better, for one. Hill's got long arms and should be a great defensive player, but he gets lost in screens too much. He's only a good defensive option against players who straight iso a lot.

DesignatedT
Hill for Thompson would be an interesting swap. Not sure what the reasoning would be behind it.

DPG21920
Kid has game. :tu

djehTM-u35I

So does Mike Miller and Marco Belinelli; would you contemplate anything close to giving up TP for that? What about Hill?

What need does he address?

DPG21920
06-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Hill for Thompson would be an interesting swap. Not sure what the reasoning would be behind it.

That is kind of my point. It's like, where are you really improving, what need is it filling and if you can't really answer that, why take the risk when you know Hill is an NBA player?

DesignatedT
06-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Hill and RJ for the 7 is what is most likely being offered IMO.

lurker23
06-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Klay Thompson just feels like a smokescreen. Color me highly skeptical.

ohmwrecker
06-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Parker is a lot better, for one. Hill's got long arms and should be a great defensive player, but he gets lost in screens too much. He's only a good defensive option against players who straight iso a lot.

Tony's not a great pn'r defender either and is pretty limited in matchups. Hill can guard bigger players. I think Hill has good defensive instincts that a rookie will more than likely lack. Is Klay Thompson a better defender?

DPG21920
06-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Hill and RJ for the 7 is what is most likely being offered IMO.

:lol that isn't very enticing. Hill for the 7th is a stretch, although not terrible. Taking on RJ as well? C'mon.

Bruno
06-22-2011, 06:13 PM

If Spurs have targeted someone, they will create smokescreens around him. The more rumors about who Spurs target, the less likely other teams will know who is their guy.

Another option is that Spurs haven't someone targeted. Instead of being attracted by a specific player, they are attracted by the fact you can get a lottery pick without giving a lot. Spurs could have judge that all the weak draft talk is vastly exaggerated. In a not that bad draft, getting a lottery pick for Hill could be a golden opportunity.

DesignatedT
06-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Probably right. Could very well be a smokescreen. I just don't see it.

DesignatedT
06-22-2011, 06:21 PM
:lol that isn't very enticing. Hill for the 7th is a stretch, although not terrible. Taking on RJ as well? C'mon.

:lol yeah very true. I just can't help but think that this is all centered around getting rid of RJ. I just don't see why the Spurs would want to trade Hill for a rookie SG straight up .

DPG21920
06-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Another option is that Spurs haven't someone targeted. Instead of being attracted by a specific player, they are attracted by the fact you can get a lottery pick without giving a lot. Spurs could have judge that all the weak draft talk is vastly exaggerated. In a not that bad draft, getting a lottery pick for Hill could be a golden opportunity.

Like usual, I have no idea what the Spurs will do on draft night. With all the smoke around selling the pick + RC's comments about improving via trade, it's hard to make anything out. There are some things that work in theory, but when you are always drafting with late picks like the Spurs, it leaves a lot of room for volatility.

It's hard to imagine the Spurs keeping the pick in a weak draft, but I can also see a scenario where they trade up for a guy they really like. If it's a weak draft and there is somehow a discount to move up, a team like the Spurs with great scouts could see an opportunity to steal someone that is undervalued.

I said the same thing, Bruno. I was just looking at it from a strict value proposition. If you are good at something that is rare, you have a competitive advantage. Just because it's a weak draft, doesn't mean there can't be solid (but not spectacular) players. If you are able to move up at a discount because it's a "weak draft" and other teams know they don't scout well, it just means good value.

TimmehC
06-22-2011, 06:22 PM
If this is a smokescreen, it's a really shitty one.

DPG21920
06-22-2011, 06:23 PM
:lol yeah very true. I just can't help but think that this is all centered around getting rid of RJ. I just don't see why the Spurs would want to trade Hill for a rookie SG straight up .

Exactly. I haven't heard anything besides offering Hill for a lottery pick that makes sense. But if that lottery pick is just for Thompson, even that doesn't make sense.

TD 21
06-22-2011, 06:23 PM
If Spurs have targeted someone, they will create smokescreens around him. The more rumors about who Spurs target, the less likely other teams will know who is their guy.

All of this could be true.

But everyone seems to be ignoring this: supposedly the Spurs are very fond of Anderson, so it would make sense that they like Thompson, who's of a similar ilk. Starting four is clearly the biggest need and the one they've talked most about. So if they're able to land Thompson, it frees them up to package Anderson with McDyess and Blair for a starting four. Then at 29, they could pick Cole (or another point, if he's gone), to replace Hill.

That way, they get their starting four (whoever that may be), while replacing Anderson and Hill with similar players and they reset the clock, so to speak. Because Hill's due a significant raise next season.

MaNu4Tres
06-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Also, clearly shooting/scoring was the Spurs problem. Even if it's Hill for him, it's silly. Hill is probably the Spurs best 3PT shooter (outside of Bonner) so replacing him for shooting is just silly.

Gary Neal isn't that bad of a shooter is he?

DPG21920
06-22-2011, 06:29 PM
^ He slipped my mind. Point remains.

SenorSpur
06-22-2011, 06:29 PM
All of this could be true.

But everyone seems to be ignoring this: supposedly the Spurs are very fond of Anderson, so it would make sense that they like Thompson, who's of a similar ilk. Starting four is clearly the biggest need and the one they've talked most about. So if they're able to land Thompson, it frees them up to package Anderson with McDyess and Blair for a starting four. Then at 29, they could pick Cole (or another point, if he's gone), to replace Hill.

That way, they get their starting four (whoever that may be), while replacing Anderson and Hill with similar players and they reset the clock, so to speak. Because Hill's due a significant raise next season.

I hope this is nothing but a smokescreen. I would find it hard to believe they would like Thompson more than Anderson. I just think Thompson is overrated - especially by this franchise. The Spurs need an athletic PF - not another slow-footer, unathletic, one-dimensional 2-guard.

MaNu4Tres
06-22-2011, 06:35 PM
^ He slipped my mind. Point remains.

I honestly think Neal and Anderson are more than capable to fill in the void left by Hill on both ends of the floor if Hill is traded for a late lottery pick.

baseline bum
06-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Tony's not a great pn'r defender either and is pretty limited in matchups. Hill can guard bigger players. I think Hill has good defensive instincts that a rookie will more than likely lack. Is Klay Thompson a better defender?

I wouldn't trade Hill for Thompson. If you're trading Hill, get a big or a point guard.

DPG21920
06-22-2011, 06:36 PM
I honestly think Neal and Anderson are more than capable to fill in the void left by Hill on both ends of the floor if Hill is traded for a late lottery pick.

I agree. I was strictly speaking of trading Hill to get into the lottery to take Thompson.

Russ
06-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Hill for #10 is a steal for the Spurs. Very doubtful it could happen.

BackHome
06-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Why?

Yes...Yes........Yes.....

SenorSpur
06-22-2011, 07:22 PM
The Spurs FO is much too shrewd to show their hands. These Thompson rumors are nothing but a smokescreen. I just hope Bismack is their preferred target.

ChuckD
06-22-2011, 07:50 PM
This is the worst thing the Spurs front office has ever done. This year's draft prospects are among the weakest in NBA history, none of them are game changers, none of them have even proven themselves to be effective role players. Hill's mental disadvantages are a mundane problem that can be fixed.

Oh yeah, I know Pop wants that 7 foot floor spreader from Italy, so he can find another reason not to give Splitter minutes.

Those are actually the EXACT kinds of problems that are un-fixable. We'd also be getting something for a player who doesn't fit and is caught in a logjam, as opposed to cutting someone like Green Or Butler and getting nothing.

jimo2305
06-22-2011, 07:53 PM
any of this is plausible but i dunno.. if anything it's either parker or hill that won't be here next season.. as long as RJ's out.. i dont care what they do o.O

ChuckD
06-22-2011, 07:54 PM
The Spurs FO is much too shrewd to show their hands. These Thompson rumors are nothing but a smokescreen. I just hope Bismack is their preferred target.

If I had to pick this draft's plummeter, it would be Biyambo. His workout in Italy was flat fucking terrible. He literally could not score 1 on 0 from three feet out. THREE FEET.

SenorSpur
06-22-2011, 08:06 PM
If I had to pick this draft's plummeter, it would be Biyambo. His workout in Italy was flat fucking terrible. He literally could not score 1 on 0 from three feet out. THREE FEET.

Opportunity for the Spurs - or some other team - to buy low. Offense can be taught. His athletic skill, raw strength, desire and intelligence are his gifts. Those are things that cannot be taught.

crc21209
06-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Opportunity for the Spurs - or some other team - to buy low. Offense can be taught. His athletic skill, raw strength, desire and intelligence are his gifts. Those are things that cannot be taught.

+1. I'd look right to Ibaka to prove this. If I remember right, Ibaka was a straight up beast on defense, rebounding, and shot-blocking last season. And then this past season all of a sudden he had a jumpshot. The kid worked his ass off, and can play both ways now....

tdunk21
06-22-2011, 08:11 PM

offense was not a problem for the spurs, defense(lowpost and perimeter) is what we need.....he can learn offense...bismack would not be a bad pickup for us

objective
06-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Charlotte with the #9 might be in play. The Spurs might have to kick in 29 or maybe even add salary to absorb a corpse like Matt Carroll.

Here's the article and it's portions

Bobcats open to trade offers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6693659&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines)

... Higgins (President of Basketball Operations) said they've narrowed their choice to between four and six players with the ninth choice, they may not keep that selection. Higgins acknowledged they've discussed deals in which they would give up the pick to acquire a veteran.

"Obviously, a starter," Higgins said. "Probably somewhere between the 22- to 25-year-old range, where he has an upside and he can be with your team for quite a long time."

Hill has been a starter, can play multiple positions, is right in their age range, could be viewed as having upside and can be with them for a long time.

Charlotte at 9 is good spot. Enough chance someone they'd take at 5 or 7 could fall and only cost Hill, but high enough to get their plan B.

tim_duncan_fan
06-22-2011, 08:18 PM
I don't know about Biyombo...I don't feel good about 6'8-6'9 guys that aren't small forwards.

No more "too short" guys, please. We need big bigs.

SenorSpur
06-22-2011, 08:34 PM
+1. I'd look right to Ibaka to prove this. If I remember right, Ibaka was a straight up beast on defense, rebounding, and shot-blocking last season. And then this past season all of a sudden he had a jumpshot. The kid worked his ass off, and can play both ways now....

And as amazing of a raw talent as Ibaka was when he was drafted, word has it that his Congolese countryman, Biyombo, is even better at this stage.

crc21209
06-22-2011, 08:39 PM
And as amazing of a raw talent as Ibaka was when he was drafted, word has it that his Congolese countryman, Biyombo, is even better at this stage.

Oh wow I hadnt heard that. Good stuff SenorSpur...:tu

spurtech09
06-22-2011, 09:21 PM
tony p ain't going no where and g hill ain't going no where....spurs are going to be stuck witrh the same pick....just make the best of it

Duncan2177
06-22-2011, 09:30 PM
tony p ain't going no where and g hill ain't going no where....spurs are going to be stuck witrh the same pick....just make the best of it

Were fucked

SenorSpur
06-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Oh wow I hadnt heard that. Good stuff SenorSpur...:tu

Yes, at least that's what I've heard. Biyombo is farther along at this point of entering the NBA than was Ibaka. From watching clips of him in the Nike Hoops Summitt, this dude is probably better offensively, on the low block, than Ibaka was.

In fact, Biyombo has leaned heavily on Ibaka as an adviser, friend, and mentor.

Contrary to reports, he's got a nice spin move on the baseline and a nice jumphook, rolling across the lane from the left block. He's obviously got work to do on the offensive end, but with work, his offensive game should emerge.

I'll post some links to his videos in the Think Tank section. Check it out.

Wu36
06-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Maybe the Spurs started the Biyombo is 26 rummor. Maybe the Spurs know he is 18. Who knows? Im for the the best team they can make.

SenorSpur
06-22-2011, 09:40 PM
I don't know about Biyombo...I don't feel good about 6'8-6'9 guys that aren't small forwards.

No more "too short" guys, please. We need big bigs.

Trust me. With his reach (7'7' wingspan), his length and leaping ability, he WILL be a beast on the boards. Make no mistake, he's got a man body already and carves out position nicely. He'll be tough to score on.

He's not ready to play center against starting caliber bigs, but he can play PF right now.

Ice009
06-22-2011, 10:04 PM
To be honest, I am not sure if there is any one facet of Hills games that Anderson couldn't eventually be better at. Of course we haven't seem much of James but he showed a lot on both sides of the ball in his limited court time and the report that the Spurs have been very impressed with him so far this summer is also an indicator.

Hill is a lot better at getting to the rim than Anderson. I read after we drafted him that Anderson doesn't have very good handles at all.

TJastal
06-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Hill is a lot better at getting to the rim than Anderson. I read after we drafted him that Anderson doesn't have very good handles at all.

Not only has bad handles, but tends to be fat and lazy and is also undersized at the 3 where he's most likely to see alot of action.

Spurs should cut their losses and distance themselves from this turd ASAP.

Russ
06-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Yes, at least that's what I've heard. Biyombo is farther along at this point of entering the NBA than was Ibaka. From watching clips of him in the Nike Hoops Summitt, this dude is probably better offensively, on the low block, than Ibaka was.

In fact, Biyombo has leaned heavily on Ibaka as an adviser, friend, and mentor.

Contrary to reports, he's got a nice spin move on the baseline and a nice jumphook, rolling across the lane from the left block. He's obviously got work to do on the offensive end, but with work, his offensive game should emerge.

I'll post some links to his videos in the Think Tank section. Check it out.

Trust me. With his reach (7'7' wingspan), his length and leaping ability, he WILL be a beast on the boards. Make no mistake, he's got a man body already and carves out position nicely. He'll be tough to score on.

He's not ready to play center against starting caliber bigs, but he can play PF right now.

I'm sure the Spurs could work wonders with the next Mahinmi.

Setting the sights a bit lower -- maybe they can just tease the minimum from a can't miss prospect like Splitter. :toast

NASpurs
06-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Not only has bad handles, but tends to be fat and lazy and is also undersized at the 3 where he's most likely to see alot of action.

Are you freaking kidding me? Dude do you even watch games? You over rate Hill and you underrate James Anderson. He was playing freaking great for a rookie early the season until he broke his foot. Kind of hard to stay in shape when you have a broken foot.

TJastal
06-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Are you freaking kidding me? Dude do you even watch games? You over rate Hill and you underrate James Anderson. He was playing freaking great for a rookie early the season until he broke his foot. Kind of hard to stay in shape when you have a broken foot.

No, it's not that hard, really.

NASpurs
06-23-2011, 09:10 AM
No, it's not that hard, really.

Yeah bicycle, swimming blah blah blah

It's still not the same as running.

elemento
06-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Do not feed the troll. This guy does not have a clue about basketball.

TJastal
06-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Yeah bicycle, swimming blah blah blah

It's still not the same as running.

What's so special about running?

TJastal
06-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Do not feed the troll. This guy does not have a clue about basketball.

Yes, please save him from making a fool out of himself even furthur. Good one.

Spurs Brazil
06-23-2011, 10:07 AM
The San Antonio Spurs’ aggressive pursuit of a lottery pick had them trying to get into the early teens, with hopes of using one of those picks to move up even higher in the first round, sources said. San Antonio could get into the late teens – perhaps the Utah Jazz slot at 12 – to draft. The Spurs are enamored with Lithuanian 7-footer Dontas Montejunas, sources said, and could move up to take him in the late lottery picks. Nevertheless, several teams believe San Antonio’s ultimate goal is to parlay that late lottery pick into an even higher spot in the first round. The Spurs are discussing deals involving guard George Hill(notes) to get them anywhere from 11 to 13, and using Tony Parker(notes) in talks to rise up to the Sacramento Kingsā or Toronto Raptorsā picks at seven and five, respectively.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_nba_draft_cavaliers_irving_062311

Interrohater
06-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Now THAT is one of the more ridiculous posts I've seen you make. What's so special about running? When a huge part of your job is running? I'm not sure how fat you are, but swimming and bicycling will not prepare you for running. Different muscles, different breathing rhythms, it's a different sport. That's like saying playing volleyball gets you ready for rugby, it's ludicrous. Don't try and fit the truth to your logic. You sound like a Marxist that way.

buttsR4rebounding
06-23-2011, 10:50 AM
That is kind of my point. It's like, where are you really improving, what need is it filling and if you can't really answer that, why take the risk when you know Hill is an NBA player?

You risk it to fill another need. With the incredible logjam we have at guard and the need we have at SF and post someone becomes expendable. Since Manu effectively plays point much of the game either Parker or Hill make sense. The Spurs are very high on James Anderson and Neal proved himself to be someone who deserves minutes as well. If they are both going to get minutes this year then either Parker, Hill or Ginobili becomes expendable. Since Manu has become our "closer" in tight games that leaves Hill or Parker. It seems that they are both being shopped. My hunch is that they are trying to position a Parker trade to nab Enes Canter and Hill toward the end of the lottery to pick up Chris Singleton. Thus filling other needs and balancing the team.

K-State Spur
06-23-2011, 11:23 AM
You risk it to fill another need. With the incredible logjam we have at guard and the need we have at SF and post someone becomes expendable. Since Manu effectively plays point much of the game either Parker or Hill make sense. The Spurs are very high on James Anderson and Neal proved himself to be someone who deserves minutes as well. If they are both going to get minutes this year then either Parker, Hill or Ginobili becomes expendable. Since Manu has become our "closer" in tight games that leaves Hill or Parker. It seems that they are both being shopped. My hunch is that they are trying to position a Parker trade to nab Enes Canter and Hill toward the end of the lottery to pick up Chris Singleton. Thus filling other needs and balancing the team.

beyond just the position he plays - hill also fills a role of an attacking guard who can get himself to the FT line even when the shot isn't falling. as bad as his shooting was against Memphis, he still managed to have a couple semi-productive games thanks to this.

i like JA and Neal - but both seem more like spot up shooters than guys who will attack the paint (Anderson may prove me wrong, but Neal likely is what he is at this juncture - not that there is anything wrong with that).

Not against moving Hill, but definitely think you have to be eyeing a guy who can get to the foul line in return.

ChumpDumper
06-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Are you freaking kidding me? Dude do you even watch games? You over rate Hill and you underrate James Anderson. He was playing freaking great for a rookie early the season until he broke his foot. Kind of hard to stay in shape when you have a broken foot.It's ok, I read on the best-basketball-tips.com that Steve Novak can play small forward.

What's so special about running?Gold.

jjktkk
06-23-2011, 01:53 PM

Not really. Thnk of a Ben Wallace, who this guy reminds me of. Biyambo is a nice athlete, but whose raw. Any team team using a top 10 pick on Biyambo would be reaching imo.

jjktkk
06-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Now THAT is one of the more ridiculous posts I've seen you make. What's so special about running? When a huge part of your job is running? I'm not sure how fat you are, but swimming and bicycling will not prepare you for running. Different muscles, different breathing rhythms, it's a different sport. That's like saying playing volleyball gets you ready for rugby, it's ludicrous. Don't try and fit the truth to your logic. You sound like a Marxist that way.

Tjastal just has a knack for it tbh.

Agloco
06-23-2011, 02:02 PM

You're quite dumb.

But not this dumb.

Now you're just trolling.

Nah, you are that dumb. Carry on. :lol