PDA

View Full Version : Season of Adversity Motivates Robinson

orhe
06-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Season of adversity motivates Robinson
Web Posted: 06/11/2005 12:00 AM CDT
Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

Even as she fought lung cancer, the mother of Spurs forward Glenn Robinson never stopped thinking about the needs of her only child.

"The day before she passed, she wanted me to (return to the team)," Robinson said. "She really didn't want me to miss any games."

With that in mind, Robinson reluctantly left Christine Bridgeman's side at a hospital in Munster, Ind., to fly to Seattle for Game 6 of the Spurs' playoff series with the Sonics on May 19.

Bridgeman died the next day. She was 48.

Robinson promised to honor her memory by helping the Spurs win another NBA title.

"She wanted me to go and play in the game (in Seattle) and if I could make it back, make it back after the game," Robinson said. "She really didn't want me missing any games and taking away from what I was doing to be there with her. That's tough to do, but she wanted me to be (with the team) and wanted me to play, so I'm going to do it for her."

Dealing with his mother's death is just the latest round of adversity Robinson has faced in a troubled season that could have a storybook ending. With the Spurs three victories away from giving the 11-year veteran his first championship, Robinson paused Friday to reflect on his roller-coaster year.

"It's been tough," Robinson said. "After everything that went on this year, it would be nice to end it with a nice ring. That's what it's all about.

"I hated that my year had to be this tough to get to this point, but here I am and I have to keep moving."

Robinson's troubles began in October with consecutive days of bad news. Less than 24 hours after then-Philadelphia 76ers coach Jim O'Brien told him he wouldn't begin the season as a starter, Robinson learned that his mother had been diagnosed with cancer.

"The two things I loved, I was losing and that's my mom and basketball," said Robinson, 32.

Robinson, the No. 1 overall pick in the 1994 NBA Draft, arrived at training camp ready to make an impact for the 76ers. But after O'Brien benched him, Robinson landed on the injured list with elbow and ankle problems. Philadelphia traded him to New Orleans on Feb. 24, but the Hornets released him a week later.

"All I know is at the beginning of the year, I came to camp in great shape," Robinson said. "Jim O'Brien said I was in great shape and was the MVP of the first few days of practice. I went from that to being on injured reserve to being traded. I really didn't understand that.

"But I really don't want to talk about if I got treated good or got treated bad (in Philadelphia). All I know is that I'm in a good situation now and I'm happy."

As are the Spurs, who signed him April 4 and have been thrilled with the way Robinson has adjusted to being a role player.

A two-time All-Star, Robinson owns a career scoring average of 20.7 points per game.

"He's really been amazing," teammate Brent Barry said. "He's done everything in a professional manner and should be commended for it. You can tell he's really thrilled to have this opportunity."

Robinson missed the first three games of the Western Conference finals to attend his mother's funeral. He received a round of applause from his teammates when he rejoined the Spurs during a film session before Game 4 against Phoenix.

"Everybody showed me their deepest sympathies," Robinson said.

Pistons guard/forward Darvin Ham, who played with Robinson in Milwaukee and Atlanta, said he has been impressed with the way his friend handled his mother's death.

"Glenn is a strong dude and I love him to death," said Ham, a Texas Tech alumnus. "He knows she would want him to move on and do the best he can this series."

Said Robinson: "I'm playing this game for my mother now, God bless her soul. Each time I step out here, I think about her."

orhe
06-11-2005, 11:18 AM
man this must be really really tough for Glenn... but the way Philly apparently handled trading Glenn sucked

bigbendbruisebrother
06-11-2005, 11:31 AM
In his 6 or so minutes in game one, Robinson sure looked motivated. He played some great D, and that sequence where Tim went up for a chip shot and Big Dog and Horry crashed the boards just in case really showed some fire.

Ishta
06-11-2005, 11:35 AM
I hope we get to see more of Glenn it sure was nice hearing the Robinson name again!! I hope he continues to show the same fire in game 2 that he showed in game 1..This must be an extremley difficult time for him....

ambchang
06-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Boy was I wrong, I doubted Big Dog when he came, and thought that the Spurs are really desperate to sign him. Fairly or not, he was labelled as a one-dimensional mid-range shooter, never passes, never defends. But so far, I have to eat my crow. Glad to have him on the Spurs.