PDA

View Full Version : Matt Taibbi On Michelle Bachmann

symple19
06-23-2011, 03:00 AM
Fun-filled read from Matt, as usual, whether you agree with him or not

(In this particular case, I do)

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/michele-bachmanns-holy-war-20110622

In modern American politics, being the right kind of ignorant and entertainingly crazy is like having a big right hand in boxing; you've always got a puncher's chance. And Bachmann is exactly the right kind of completely batshit crazy. Not medically crazy, not talking-to-herself-on-the-subway crazy, but grandiose crazy, late-stage Kim Jong-Il crazy — crazy in the sense that she's living completely inside her own mind, frenetically pacing the hallways of a vast sand castle she's built in there, unable to meaningfully communicate with the human beings on the other side of the moat, who are all presumed to be enemies.

Winehole23
06-23-2011, 03:25 AM
Seemed a bit strained and overwrought to me. Not one of Taibbi's better pieces.

Winehole23
06-23-2011, 03:32 AM
btw,

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2011/jun/21/bachmann-surges-primary-lead/

Winehole23
06-23-2011, 03:36 AM
Taibbi's point about not misunderestimating Michelle Bachmann seems well-taken, though. A four point swing the other way in 2008 would have resulted in vice president Sarah Palin.

baseline bum
06-23-2011, 03:48 AM
LOL... at least we know who DarrinS is voting for.

CosmicCowboy
06-23-2011, 09:17 AM
When it all shakes out I could easily see her getting the VP slot under Romney as a token for the right wing crazies.

Wild Cobra
06-23-2011, 09:45 AM
When it all shakes out I could easily see her getting the VP slot under Romney as a token for the right wing crazies.
I don't see myself as a right wing crazy, but for some reason, I have this itching feeling you mean those like me.

Yes, I would vote for that ticket over Obama. Wouldn't have to think twice about it.

CosmicCowboy
06-23-2011, 10:19 AM
I don't see myself as a right wing crazy, but for some reason, I have this itching feeling you mean those like me.

Yes, I would vote for that ticket over Obama. Wouldn't have to think twice about it.

I didn't say I wouldn't vote for that ticket over Obama. I just wish the Republicans would quit pandering to the religious right and get the fuck out of peoples lives on abortion, homosexuality, weed, etc.

Wild Cobra
06-23-2011, 10:21 AM
I didn't say I wouldn't vote for that ticket over Obama. I just wish the Republicans would quit pandering to the religious right and get the fuck out of peoples lives on abortion, homosexuality, weed, etc.
I wish the federal government would stop interfering with states rights, and let each state decide those issues for themselves.

jacobdrj
06-23-2011, 10:32 AM
I wish the federal government would stop interfering with states rights, and let each state decide those issues for themselves.

Why stop at state's rights with this? Why not county/city rights? Why not the right between a person and their physician?

That logic just doesn't fly...

boutons_deux
06-23-2011, 10:41 AM
http://www.politicususa.com/wp-content/uploads/Screen-shot-2011-03-03-at-5.58.33-PM.png

“She’s a perfect product of the religious right…” In detailing Bachmann’s biblical world view that stemmed from Francis Schaeffer, “All reality is determined by theological starting point, and so basically very single aspect of public life, science, history, economics, everything is determined by your religious beliefs and only those with the correct religious beliefs can correctly perceive any sort of reality, and it’s a way in which you can dismiss huge swaths of history, evolution, you can basically say that anything that doesn’t fit with your ideology is the product of mistaken theological premise.”

“Michele Bachmann says certain things that sound crazy to the general public. But to anybody raised in the environment of the evangelical right wing, what she says makes perfect sense.”

According to a recent poll, 35% of those who support Michele Bachmann thought the rapture was coming on May 21.

The majority of Americans can admire Bachmann on the surface, and tend to assume that her religious beliefs are similar to their own or the Christians they know, and this is where the danger lay. If you haven’t been subjected to the Dominionist Reconstructionist religious views, you wouldn’t have thought twice about Bachmann’s far right evangelical signal during the debate, “We are the head, not the tail.”

http://www.politicususa.com/en/michele-bachmann-dangerous?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+politicususa%2FfJAl+%28Politi cus+USA+%29

===========

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/06/02/bachmann_end_times_pope/md_horiz.jpg

Michele Bachmann thinks the world is ending and the pope is the antichrist

Bachmann stands with Israel because she needs the Jews to rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem so that Christ can return, rapture the Christians up to Heaven, convince the Jews to worship him during the Tribulations, and then rule over the Earth from Israel for 1,000 years. (This is what these people believe, very, very literally.)

WELS confirms that they still "identify this 'Antichrist' with the Papacy," in case you're curious.

Bachmann has denied that her church believes this, but ... it is definitely one of the fundamental doctrines of her church, according to her Synod's doctrinal statements.

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/06/02/bachmann_end_times_pope/index.html

===

"religious" nutters and their batshit crazy OT beliefs (Christ is almost completely de-emphasized in, absent from their batshittiness) and the demagogues who pander to them.

symple19
06-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Taibbi's point about not misunderestimating Michelle Bachmann seems well-taken, though.

This is probably the main thing I took away from the piece.

Sometimes with Taibbi you have to cut through the hyperbole and wild analogies to find his point, although for me, those are what make his articles so much fun to read.

Right now, imo, she is the strongest Republican candidate. I really don't see her being a vice presidential nominee. Had Palin not blazed that trail for republicans last year, I think it would be far more likely. As things stand now, I believe if she loses in the primaries she'll go back to congress and bide her time until 2016 when she can have another go at it. Also, I doubt her ego would allow her to be the number 2, that is, unless god speaks to her again sometime in the near future :lol

To me, the three most potent Republicans are on the sidelines. Gates, Petraeus, and Christie. I still can't see any of the current crop beating Obama, and that includes Perry

boutons_deux
06-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Palin or Bachmann on the Repug ticket assures a slam-dunk for Barry.

CosmicCowboy
06-23-2011, 10:52 AM
If the economy continues to deteriorate any of them will be able to beat Obama.

symple19
06-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Palin or Bachmann on the Repug ticket assures a slam-dunk for Barry.

I agree, but I would definitely give Bachmann the best chance out of those available. The economy is killing Barry right now, and seems to only be getting worse. Whoever the repubs put up is going to get a shitload of protest votes unless something turns around quickly

Palin isn't running, though. She's too busy counting her money and basking in the right-wing limelight.

coyotes_geek
06-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Why stop at state's rights with this? Why not county/city rights? Why not the right between a person and their physician?

If the federal government pushes authority to make those decisions down to the state level then each state can have their own debate about whether or not that authority should be further passed down to the county/city level. If the feds tried to bypass the states and give the authority directly to cities, you'd have 50 states suing the federal government for violating their soveignty.

symple19
06-23-2011, 11:03 AM
If the economy continues to deteriorate any of them will be able to beat Obama.

Nah, it will only make it closer than it otherwise would've been, unless the bottom (of the economy) completely falls out.

There are still too many moderate repubs/independents who just won't vote for a hardcore right winger. Also, if the elephants end up with a Huntsman/Pawlenty/Romney type, the base won't be energized enough to push them through. Just my opinion

CosmicCowboy
06-23-2011, 11:09 AM
trust me, the base hates Obama enough to be energized to vote.

Winehole23
06-23-2011, 11:13 AM
That's not where US presidential elections are won and lost. If the GOP somehow manages to alienate the middle, they lose again. It's not a slam dunk.

boutons_deux
06-23-2011, 11:13 AM
which base? Repug or Dem?

the Repug base thinks the current shithole after 8 years of dubya and gang isn't a shithole.

101A
06-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Nah, it will only make it closer than it otherwise would've been, unless the bottom (of the economy) completely falls out.

There are still too many moderate repubs/independents who just won't vote for a hardcore right winger. Also, if the elephants end up with a Huntsman/Pawlenty/Romney type, the base won't be energized enough to push them through. Just my opinion

Obama won by 4 votes when the bottom fallen out economy could be blamed 100% on the other side; with a historically unpopular sitting president mired in unpopular wars - and an opponent reviled by much of his OWN base - AND Obama was a clean slate - Hope and Change and all that.

He's no longer a clean slate, and now owns every problem the country will have a reelection time.

FOUR points.

That said, I don't see any Republican currently in as a strong candidate, and Bachman in my book is trailing that week field - but I also don't see ANY Republican, considering the facts listed above, that couldn't unseat this president at this time.

coyotes_geek
06-23-2011, 11:19 AM
That's not where US presidential elections are won and lost. If the GOP somehow manages to alienate the middle, they lose again. It's not a slam dunk.

Which is exactly why we don't need to be concerning ourselves with Michelle Bachmann. She's not going to beat Romney or Perry (who's visiting New Hampshire btw...) and she's far too polarizing for either one of them to pick as a VP.

Wild Cobra
06-23-2011, 11:26 AM

Then I suppose you disagree with the 10th amendment entirely.

symple19
06-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Which is exactly why we don't need to be concerning ourselves with Michelle Bachmann. She's not going to beat Romney or Perry (who's visiting New Hampshire btw...) and she's far too polarizing for either one of them to pick as a VP.

Romney is dead in the water. An overwhelming number of primary voters are christians and they probably won't vote for a mormon over a christian (which is stupid). I just can't see him winning southern/plains/midwest state primaries over Bachmann.

As for Perry v Bachmann, that will probably come down to two things: Who the tea-party supports, and who can move farther to the right. Edge, Bachmann

Florida, as always, will be key. Who wins that primary wins the nomination, imo. (who will Rubio support?)

coyotes_geek
06-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Perry v Bachman is a complete mismatch. She's no threat to him whatsoever.

symple19
06-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Perry v Bachman is a complete mismatch. She's no threat to him whatsoever.

you could be right. It sure will be fun to watch

ChumpDumper
06-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Interesting to see if Perry matches Bachmann's crazy in the primaries or tries to act as an alternative to it.

baseline bum
06-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Bachman's the nut that will make Perry look normal. Sickening, but that's the way it will play out.

symple19
06-23-2011, 12:01 PM
-sigh- So many sickening choices. Looks like I'll be voting 3rd party again

ChumpDumper
06-23-2011, 12:01 PM
4 is the new 7.

symple19
06-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Speaking of fun to watch, since there aren't any relevant Christie threads, did you guys see this?

15Eb-fdQPuU

Wish he would run :lol

DarrinS
06-23-2011, 12:03 PM
LOL... at least we know who DarrinS is voting for.

You spend too much time thinking about me

George Gervin's Afro
06-23-2011, 12:14 PM

I think it refers to your predictablity rather than an obsession wihth you

baseline bum
06-23-2011, 12:50 PM

Huh? The light bulbs seem to be one of her main platforms.

ElNono
06-23-2011, 01:10 PM
:lol @ 4 points

dett's not de way it works scroh

4 is the new 7.

He said 'a 4 point swing'... meaning, you take 4 from Obama and add 4 to McCain... that makes McCain the winner 50% to 49%...

ChumpDumper
06-23-2011, 01:12 PM
He said 'a 4 point swing'... meaning, you take 4 from Obama and add 4 to McCain... that makes McCain the winner 50% to 49%...Retracted.

But still a funny way to look at it.

ElNono
06-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Retracted.

But still a funny way to look at it.

It is, and truth be told, nitpicking about small point differential is somewhat irrelevant in that electoral votes is what really counts. It's not like we haven't had a president before that lost the popular vote count and still managed to get elected.

Winehole23
06-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Good point.

CosmicCowboy
06-23-2011, 01:59 PM
I find it humorous that Perry is taking credit personally for Texas's "boom times" relative to other states...What exactly has he done personally to effect Texas prosperity?

ChumpDumper
06-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Dude gave several million dollars of taxpayer money to the F1 billionaire.

EVAY
06-23-2011, 02:20 PM

me, too. Horrid thought, but I think you may be right.

Otherwise, the right-wing will tank Romney just like they tanked him before and just like they tanked GHW Bush for his second run.

EVAY
06-23-2011, 02:21 PM

Thank you.

EVAY
06-23-2011, 02:22 PM
^^^^And while they are at it, if they could come up with an economic policy a bit more developed than "cut taxes" it would be a help.

SnakeBoy
06-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Who cares about Bachmann, sweet baby is gonna stomp that bitch.

Winehole23
06-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Apparently no one wanted to step on that one.

Winehole23
06-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Do you have a geiger counter, SnakeBoy? Have you tested your sweet baby doll for exposure to radioactivity, lately?

She does live on the west coast after all, relentlessly exposed to the light of the MSM and the midnight sun and wind from the west...

Winehole23
06-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Bachmann has certain essential political traits -- like being comfortable fielding uncomfortable questions ex tempore, that Sarah Palin notably lacks. And she has a more genuine political touch. More personable and camera friendly than Palin imo...

Winehole23
06-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Bachmann turns her gaffes into sympathy more deftly (perhaps) than Palin, seemed to be one of Taibbi's points.

101A
06-24-2011, 01:08 PM
He said 'a 4 point swing'... meaning, you take 4 from Obama and add 4 to McCain... that makes McCain the winner 50% to 49%...

WAY to lazy to do the math, but I'm betting it wouldn't take much of a swing at all in the right states to change election results in '12 - the college works in favor of, not against, Republicans, IMO. See Bush v. Gore

Winehole23
06-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Being a great big liar might not be considered a disqualification, anymore. Just controversial.

Winehole23
06-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Hell, people might even respect her more for it.

SnakeBoy
06-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Bachmann has certain essential political traits -- like being comfortable fielding uncomfortable questions ex tempore, that Sarah Palin notably lacks. And she has a more genuine political touch. More personable and camera friendly than Palin imo...

That may be true but if Palin jumps in (and I don't really think she will) Bachmann and the rest of the field will have a tough time getting anyone to pay attention to their "political traits".

Winehole23
06-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Eh, mebbe. I think Palin's already washed up.

Winehole23
06-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Overexposed.

Winehole23
06-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Lucky for Palin, celebrity often has a long afterlife in the USA, limited mainly by the memory/nostalgia of fans and the calculated whimsy of media outlets and other entrepreneurs.

TheThinkingMan
06-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Now that she is more focused I think Michelle is looking hotter and is going to take Palin down.

boutons_deux
06-27-2011, 01:59 PM
maybe she's really is a daffy gaffe-y as pitbull bitch :lol

Bachmann cites wrong John Wayne,

Bachmann cites wrong John Wayne, praises notorious serial killer | Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) has a thing for John Wayne. In an interview yesterday with Newsmax, she said she wants to live in “John Wayne’s America.” And in the Iowa town of Waterloo today, where she announced her presidential candidacy, Bachmann told Fox News, “John Wayne was from Waterloo, Iowa. That’s the kind of spirit that I have, too.” But unfortunately for historically challenged Bachmann, as the Washington Times points out, the John Wayne born in Waterloo is John Wayne Gacy, the notorious serial killer who murdered 33 teenage boys and young men, not the iconic Western actor.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/06/27/255058/michele-bachmann-john-wayne/

Oh, Gee!!
06-27-2011, 02:09 PM
accord. to wikipedia, the real john wayne was born in waterloo, iowa or winterset, iowa (at least)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayne

and john wayne gacy was born in Chicago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayne_Gacy

whatevs, it's not as big as a gaffe as boutons hopes it is. not to fear, she'll make plenty in the near future.

Sarah Palin
06-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Eh, mebbe. I think Palin's already washed up.

You are just fantasizing about me in a wet t-shirt. Ain't gonna happen.

ploto
06-27-2011, 05:09 PM
I just do not see how anyone can view her as a legitimate candidate for President of the United States- but then I just have to remember all those who consider Palin to be one.

baseline bum
06-27-2011, 05:13 PM
I just do not see how anyone can view her as a legitimate candidate for President of the United States- but then I just have to remember all those who consider Palin to be one.

Are you serious? Bush won 2 terms on the evangelical vote.

boutons_deux
06-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Psycho Talk: The 32 Craziest Things GOP Presidential Contender Michele Bachmann Has Said

EDITOR'S NOTE: Over the weekend, Fox News' Chris Wallace asked Michele Bachmann if she was a flake. Below is a compendium of some of her more outlandish remarks. Judge for yourself. Bachmann has officially announced her candidacy for President.

Now in just her third term in Congress, Michele Bachmann, the leader of the House tea party caucus, has earned a reputation as one of the lower chamber's leading bomb-throwers, lobbing overheated rhetoric at Democrats and needling establishment Republicans. Her Minnesota colleague, Democratic Rep. Keith Ellison once accused her of "psycho talk"; in an interview with Politico, a Pawlenty aide was just as blunt: "She's a real pain in the ass." Former state senator Dean Johnson, who was the Republican minority leader during Bachmann's stint in St. Paul, has said, "I don't think I ever served with anybody who I mistrusted more, from either side of the aisle."

Ouch. Bachmann also has a tendency to stretch the truth, or simply sidestep it altogether. Bill Adair, editor of PolitiFact, recently told Minnesota Public Radio that he has never researched a Bachmann quote and found it to be true (the only major politician for which that's the case).

Here's an incomplete guide to Bachmann's greatest hits:

2001: In a letter she co-wrote for the Minnesota-based Maple River Education Coalition, Bachmann warns that President Bush's education policies are leading the nation down the path to communism: "Government is implementing policies that will lead to poverty, not prosperity, by adopting the failed ideas of a state-planned and managed economy similar to that of the former Soviet Union."

2003: Bachmann, then a state senator, explains why she doesn't agree with the theory of evolution: "Where do we say that a cell became a blade of grass, which became a starfish, which became a cat, which became a donkey, which became a human being? There’s a real lack of evidence from change from actual species to a different type of species. That's where it's difficult to prove." Don't even get her started on how a bill becomes a law.

2003: Bachmann sends out a Christmas Card advertising the availability of her youngest son, Lucas: "Chick magnate [sic] needs wife to put him through med school, clean house, pay bills and run his life. Must be willing to gamble against onslaught of socialized medicine diminishing return on investment."

2004: With the country locked in a heated debate over gay marriage, Bachmann finds parallels in the Old Testament: "We're in a state of crisis where our nation is literally ripping apart at the seams right now, and lawlessness is occurring from one ocean to the other. And we're seeing the fulfillment of the Book of Judges here in our own time, where every man doing that which is right in his own eyes—in other words, anarchy."

( I guess she means she needs the authoritarian, privacy-denying police state to "take over" everybody's lives and make sure they "do what is right" in her Bible-fucked eyes )

2004: Songwriter Melissa Etheridge has breast cancer. That's bad news. But there's good news too, Bachmann tells the conservative education group EdWatch: maybe the cancer will give her time to reflect on her sinful lifestyle: "Unfortunately she is now suffering from breast cancer, so keep her in your prayers. This may be an opportunity for her now to be open to some spiritual things, now that she is suffering with that physical disease. She is a lesbian." In the same speech, she alleges that "almost all, if not all, individuals who have gone into the lifestyle have been abused at one time in their life, either by a male or by a female."

2005: Bachmann explains her opposition to the state's minimum wage as a form of job creation: "Literally, if we took away the minimum wage—if conceivably it was gone—we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level."

2006: Campaigning for a seat in the House, Bachmann delivers a five-minute prayer for You Can Run But You Cannot Hide International, an anti-gay heavy metal ministry that promotes the gospel to public school students: "I thank you for how you are going to advance them from 260 schools a year, Lord, to 2,600 schools a year. Lord, we ask by faith that you would expand this ministry beyond anything the originators of this ministry could begin to think or imagine."

2007: In an interview with the St. Cloud Times, Bachmann drops a bombshell: Iran is planning on turning all of Northwest Iraq into a secret terrorist training camp: "Iran is the troublemaker trying to tip over apple carts all over Baghdad right now because they want America to pull out. And you know why? It's because they've already decided, that they're going to territory, they're- they're going to partition Iraq and half of Iraq, the western northern portion of Iraq is going to be called, the United, uh, the, the uh, -oh, I'm sorry, I can't remember the actual name of it now, but it's going to be called, um, uh, the, the, uh, uh the Iraq State of Islam, something like that."

( she was "RIGHT" again on the call )

2008: Just two weeks before election day, Bachmann calls for an investigation into the anti-American ambitions of Barack Obama and congressional Democrats: "What I would say is that the news media should do a penetrating expose and take a look. I wish they would. I wish the American media would take a great look at the views of the people in Congress and find out if they are pro-America or anti-America."

2008: Redundant Redundancies, vol. I: "The big thing we are working on now is the global warming hoax. It's all voodoo, nonsense, hokum, a hoax."

2009: Explaining her opposition to a bill that expands the scope of AmeriCorps, the Peace Corps' domestic equivalent, Bachmann warned Minnesota's KTLK that it could be the gateway to a mandatory brainwashing program: "I believe that there is a very strong chance that we will see that young people will be put into mandatory service. And the real concerns is that there are provisions for what I would call re-education camps for young people, where young people have to go and get trained in a philosophy that the government puts forward and then they have to go to work in some of these politically correct forums."

( sounds like some Bible boot camp or Bible "university" like Liberty U who "grads" polluted dubya's Exec)

2009: Picking up on Sarah Palin's debunked warning abut "death panels" in the Affordable Care Act, Bachmann declares: "If you are a grandmother with Parkinson's or a child with cerebral palsy, watch out."

2009: Bachmann goes on Glenn Beck's Fox program to discuss the specter of "One World currency" and delivers what historians may later dub her "I am not a kook!" speech. "Glenn, I have experienced that throughout my political career being labeled a kook. It just happened again in a big story in the Minneapolis Star Tribune. But all we have to do is point to the treasury secretary on tape, on camera. This is not Michele Bachmann being a kook. This is our treasury secretary on tape and on camera." A visibly confused Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner had told Bachmann he was not aware of any plan to replace the dollar.

2009: As the nation (aided, perhaps, by Vice President Joe Biden) freaks out over Swine Flu, Bachmann implies—while stressing that she isn't—that this whole thing might have been Obama's doing: "I find it interesting that it was back in the 1970s that the swine flu broke out then under another Democrat president, Jimmy Carter. And I'm not blaming this on President Obama, I just think it's an interesting coincidence."

2009: Bachmann warns the Affordable Care Act (a.k.a. health care reform) would include a loophole permitting grade-schoolers to go on abortion field trips: "Does that mean that someone's 13-year old daughter could walk into a sex clinic, have a pregnancy test done, be taken away to the local Planned Parenthood abortion clinic, have their abortion, be back, and go home on the school bus that night? Mom and dad are never the wiser. They don't know any different."

2009: Bachmann frets that Democrats' cap-and-trade legislation, which proposed using the powers of the free market to create carbon exchanges,posed an existential threat to all Americans: "I want people in Minnesota armed and dangerous on this issue of the energy tax because we need to fight back. Thomas Jefferson told us 'having a revolution every now and then is a good thing,' and the people—we the people—are going to have to fight back hard if we're not going to lose our country. And I think this has the potential of changing the dynamic of freedom forever in the United States."

( Hey, Backmann, the country and freedoms is already irretrievably lost to the capitalists and corps, which doesn't bother you at all )

2009: With health care reform coming ever closer to becoming a reality, Bachmann sounds the Horn of Gondor: "What we have to do today is make a covenant, to slit our wrists, be blood brothers on this thing. This will not pass. We will do whatever it takes to make sure this doesn’t pass."

2009: In an interview on Fox News, Bachmann warns that the Obama administration could potentially use Census data to round up Americans and put them in camps: "Between 1942 and 1947, the data that was collected by the Census Bureau was handed over to the FBI and other organizations at the request of President Roosevelt, and that's how the Japanese were rounded up and put into internment camps. I'm not saying that that's what the administration is planning to do. But I am saying that private personal information that was given to the Census Bureau in the 1940s was used against them to round them up in violation of their constitutional rights."

2009: Bachmann argues that abnormally large emissions of greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide can't be regulated because if we did, birds would lose their natural habitat—air: "Life on planet Earth can't even exist without carbon dioxide. So necessary is it to human life, to animal life, to plant life, to the oceans, to the vegetation that’s on the Earth, to the, to the fowl that—that flies in the air, we need to have carbon dioxide as part of the fundamental lifecycle of Earth."

2010: After former President Bill Clinton tells reporters Bachmann's "armed and dangerous" remarks could send the wrong message to fringe groups, Bachmann accuses Clinton of celebrating the Oklahoma City Bombings—by speaking at an event honoring those who died in the attack. "He gave a speech, and he called me out in his speech, and he was talking about the anniversary—now, only Democrats would do this. The anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing by Tim McVeigh. I mean, we don’t celebrate these things. This is not what we celebrate."

2010: Bachmann warns that critics of the Affordable Care Act will be denied coverage, based on their political beliefs. As evidence, she cites a conversation with a Japanese man who told her that in Japan, health care reform opponents are afraid to speak up: "'Well why is that,' I asked. [He said], 'Because they know that would get on a list and they wouldn’t get health care. They wouldn't get in. They wouldn't get seen. And so people are afraid. They're afraid to speak back to government. They're afraid to say anything.' Is that what we want for our future? That takes us to gangster government at that point!"

2010: After House Democrats propose using a relatively standard parliamentary procedures to pass the Affordable Care Act, Bachmann calls for an investigation: "Well, yeah, and the other thing is treason media. Where is the mainstream media in all of this not telling this story? This is a compelling story. That the Speaker of the House would even consider having us pass a bill that no one votes on. That should laugh her out of the House and there should be people that are calling for impeachment off of something like this."

2010: Ever vigilant of bureaucratic waste, Bachmann alleges that President Obama's trip to India will be more expensive than the entire war in Afghanistan: "The president of the United States will be taking a trip over to India that is expected to cost the taxpayers $200 million a day. He's taking 2,000 people with him. He will be renting out over 870 rooms in India. And these are five-star hotel rooms at the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel. This is the kind of over-the-top spending." An exasperated White House spokesman later said the charges, which stemmed from an anonymous official in the west Indian state of Maharashtra, had "no basis in reality."

2010: Remember that whole bit about Obama being "anti-American" back in 2008? Yeah, forget that. Bachmann tells Bill O'Reilly: "Candidate Obama was a very reasonable fellow."

2010: Redundant Redundancies, vol. II [30]: "That's what the Bill of Rights is all about—to secure our individual liberties from an overweening huge bureaucratic large big government."

2011: In a speech to New Hampshire tea partiers, Bachmann crafts an alternative history of the American Revolution: "What I love about New Hampshire and what we have in common is our extreme love for liberty. You’re the state where the shot was heard around the world in Lexington and Concord."

2011: As the House GOP prepares to vote on a continuing resolution to fund the government, Bachmann urges her colleagues to hold the line: "This is our mice or men moment. We need to show whether we are mice or men." The bill passes; we're mice, apparently.

2011: Bachmann suggests an unlikely fix to the nation's long-term deficit: "I think if we give Glenn Beck the numbers, he can solve this."

2011: On Twitter, Bachmann says the President's proposal to make government-subsidized lunches more nutritional violates the will of the Founders: "Where in the #Constitution does it say the fed. government should regulate potatoes in school lunches? It doesn't." Which is true. Technically.

2011: In an address to the group Iowans for Tax Relief, Bachmann praises the Founding Fathers for their commitment to…diversity: "It didn't matter the color of their skin, it didn't matter their language, it didn't matter their economic status, it didn't matter whether they descended from known royalty or whether they were of a higher class or a lower class, it made no difference. Once you got here [to the United States] you were all the same. Isn't that remarkable?"

In the same interview, she praises the Founders for working so hard to abolish slavery: "We know there was slavery that was still tolerated when the nation began. We know that was an evil and it was scourge and a blot and a stain upon our history. But we also know that the very founders that wrote those documents worked tirelessly until slavery was no more in the United States."

2011: Seizing on an administration directive to promote energy-efficient light bulbs, Bachmann accuses the administration of banning light bulbs altogether: "I think Thomas Edison did a pretty patriotic thing for this country by inventing the light bulb and I think darn well you New Hampshirites, if you want to want to buy Thomas Edison's wonderful invention you should be able to!"

2011: Michele Obama promotes breast-feeding as a means of reducing child obesity. Bachmann senses more sinister motives: "This is very consistent with where the hard left is coming from. For them, government is the answer to every problem. I've given birth to five babies and I breast fed every single one of these babies. To think that government has to go out and buy my breast pump for my babies? You wanna talk about the nanny state, I think you just got a new definition."

Wild Cobra
06-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Only 32...

Hell, I say that many in one week.

How many does Obama say in a week.

The liberal closet cleaners do their work real well, and could only dig up 32. Not so bad.

boutons_deux
06-28-2011, 08:08 AM
You're welcome to find 32 nutty things any Dem has said over the last 10 years.

And yes, fully agree that 32 is aobut your avg week's output, week in, week out, all WEAK.

JoeChalupa
06-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Bachman is picking up steam and while she has made some gaffs she needs to be taken very seriously. She is NOT stupid.

Trainwreck2100
06-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Bachman is picking up steam and while she has made some gaffs she needs to be taken very seriously. She is NOT stupid.

A woman not stupid.......................................does not compute.

LnGrrrR
06-28-2011, 11:54 AM

Yes she is. But a certain amount of the population likes their politicians as dumb and crazy as they are, because it vindicates their dumb and crazy views.

boutons_deux
06-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Bachmann claims tea party is bipartisan

" The liberals, and to be clear I’m NOT one of them, want you to think the Tea Party is the Right Wing of the Republican Party. But it’s not. It’s made up of disaffected Democrats, independents, people who’ve never been political a day in their life, libertarians, Republicans. We’re people who simply want America back on the right track again.

That's bull. Tea partiers are overwhelmingly conservative. According to Gallup, eight out of ten of them say they are Republicans, and 92% of strong tea party supporters voted Republican in last year's congressional elections."

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/06/28/989123/-Bachmann-claims-tea-party-is-bipartisan?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dailykos%2Findex+%28Daily+Kos %29

=========

She a distorter, an ideological/evangelical/anti-rational-scientific nutcase, and LIAR, just like Repug bubbas like their politicians.

boutons_deux
06-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Michele Bachmann: Homophobe-in-Chief?

"If you're involved in the gay and lesbian lifestyle, it's bondage. It is personal bondage, personal despair and personal enslavement."

"We have to understand that barbarians need to be educated, need to be disciplined. And just because someone thinks (they're gay) or feels it doesn't mean we need to go down that road. That's what is called the sinful nature."

Marcus Bachmann has denied that he runs courses seeking to "cure" people of their homosexuality. But in 2005, he spoke at a conference and, according to a gay activist present, ended his presentation with testimony from three people who claimed to have been "cured" of their gayness and were now straight. His speech was called "The Truth About the Homosexual Agenda."

But what is really scary about Bachmann's anti-gay beliefs are how they have run roughshod over her own family life.

But Bachmann stays rigid even when her own family members are gay.

Bachmann's step-sister, Helen LeFave, is a lesbian. The two were close as they grew up together in their teens. Not surprisingly Bachmann's anti-gay comments have not gone down well with her, or several other relatives. They have written letters to newspapers opposing Bachmann's stance or appeared at political hearings on attempts to ban gay marriage. Yet, even in the face of having gay relatives in her own family, Bachmann is unwavering. No doubt, that is what many of her fans love about her.

She is a real conviction politician in an era where most presidential aspirants love their focus groups first and foremost. But what a shame one of Bachmann's core convictions is naked prejudice against some of her fellow citizens and a wish to deny them the basic rights afforded to everyone else.

http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-75/6421-michele-bachmann-homophobe-in-chief

boutons_deux
06-28-2011, 01:29 PM
In Major Gaffe, Bachmann Confuses Ass, Hole in Ground

ARIZONA (The Borowitz Report) – In a fledgling campaign that has already produced more than its share of gaffes, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn) today confused her ass with a hole in the ground during a campaign swing through Arizona.

Speaking to a group of supporters in Phoenix, Rep. Bachmann raised eyebrows when she said, “It’s great to be here in Arizona, the home of my ass.”

After her comment was greeted with confused murmurs from the crowd, Rep. Bachmann quickly added, “Oh wait, did I say my ass? I meant the Grand Canyon.”

Being unable to tell her ass from a hole in the ground, especially a prominent one such as the Grand Canyon, is only one of many challenges facing Rep. Bachmann in her quest for the Presidency, according to political science professor Davis Logsdon of the University of Minnesota.

“Michele Bachmann is a staunch believer in the theory of Intelligent Design,” he said. “However, Intelligent Design cannot explain Michele Bachmann.”

But Dr. Logsdon added that Rep. Bachmann remains an attractive candidate, especially for those Republican voters who find former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin “too cerebral.”

http://www.borowitzreport.com/

JoeChalupa
06-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Yes she is. But a certain amount of the population likes their politicians as dumb and crazy as they are, because it vindicates their dumb and crazy views.

I disagree. Saying stupid things doesn't mean she is not intelligent. Take a look at here resume. You don't get that by being stupid.

Crookshanks
06-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Soooo - saying stupid things means you're not intelligent? So what about Barry and Biden? The've said enough stupid things to fill a book, yet libs still think they're the most intelligent duo to be in the White House. I guess that only holds true if it's a conservative huh?

LnGrrrR
06-28-2011, 04:27 PM
I disagree. Saying stupid things doesn't mean she is not intelligent. Take a look at here resume. You don't get that by being stupid.

I disagree. Of course, she could be a mastermind, playing the dumb populace for saps. I'm of the opinion that she herself is also a dumb sap though.

She can be intelligent in certain areas, but an absolute idiot in others. Some of the things she has said are frankly idiotic.

LnGrrrR
06-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Soooo - saying stupid things means you're not intelligent? So what about Barry and Biden? The've said enough stupid things to fill a book, yet libs still think they're the most intelligent duo to be in the White House. I guess that only holds true if it's a conservative huh?

Gaffes do not equal stupidity. If Obama says 57 states, no one believes he actually thinks there are 57 states. Is it dumb? Sure.

But it's not nearly as dumb as someone who gets their facts wrong in a prepared speech. And not just esoteric, number-crunching facts. Saying New Hampshire was where the shot heard round the world was fired shows complete ignorance. Trying to argue that carbon dioxide is necessary in order to counter a global warming critic is a strawman, and shows ignorance of the arguments. Trying to use someone's cancer as a religious wedge shows ignorance of general human apathy.

When you combine that ignorance with full-blooded paranoia, suspicion and hatred of the "other", well it doesn't make a pretty picture.

Biden and Obama have their own faults. I wouldn't call them paranoid though.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Biden is stupid TBH.......

boutons_deux
06-28-2011, 05:32 PM
http://www.rawstory.com/rs//wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Michele_Bachmann-214x3002.jpg

Several strange edits have shown up on Wikipedia entries pertaining to famed Americans referenced by Republican presidential candidate Michelle Bachmann -- specifically, it appears that her fans have attempted to rewrite the lives of actor John Wayne and President John Quincy Adams to fit her woefully inaccurate retellings of history.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/06/28/bachmann-fans-float-wikipedia-edits-to-cover-candidate%E2%80%99s-recent-gaffes/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29

admiralsnackbar
06-29-2011, 12:45 AM
Gaffes do not equal stupidity. If Obama says 57 states, no one believes he actually thinks there are 57 states. Is it dumb? Sure.

But it's not nearly as dumb as someone who gets their facts wrong in a prepared speech. And not just esoteric, number-crunching facts. Saying New Hampshire was where the shot heard round the world was fired shows complete ignorance. Trying to argue that carbon dioxide is necessary in order to counter a global warming critic is a strawman, and shows ignorance of the arguments. Trying to use someone's cancer as a religious wedge shows ignorance of general human apathy.

When you combine that ignorance with full-blooded paranoia, suspicion and hatred of the "other", well it doesn't make a pretty picture.

Biden and Obama have their own faults. I wouldn't call them paranoid though.

I assume you mean empathy, yeah? If only because Team Bachman is counting on human apathy as part of their plan to "sneak" a true-blue evangelical into the WH.

ElNono
06-29-2011, 12:51 AM
Biden is stupid... Not Palin-stupid, but certainly stupid.

I can tell you without a shred of doubt he's several orders of magnitude more stupid than former VP Cheney.

Winehole23
06-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Biden's not 4th wing smart. There was never any doubt about it.

Wild Cobra
06-29-2011, 12:57 AM
Biden is stupid... Not Palin-stupid, but certainly stupid.

I can tell you without a shred of doubt he's several orders of magnitude more stupid than former VP Cheney.
I think the both have foot in mouth disease, but Biden definitely has it worse. It doesn't make either of them dumb.

Winehole23
06-29-2011, 01:03 AM
Bachmann has it worse. Way worse. But it's the same disease

ElNono
06-29-2011, 01:11 AM
I don't really know much about Bachmann, but I'm sure I'll be finding out now that she's running.

Wild Cobra
06-29-2011, 01:32 AM
I don't really know much about Bachmann, but I'm sure I'll be finding out now that she's running.
She has some quirks the liberal media will drool over.

JoeChalupa
06-29-2011, 08:24 AM
She has some quirks the liberal media will drool over.

Those quirks are pissing Palin off and making it clear Palin is not going to run but will milk "the decision" for all she can.