PDA

View Full Version : Screw Will Smith, Hip-hop and ABC...

SouthernFried
06-11-2005, 11:45 AM
God, I hated that pre-game show crap. We don't live in LA, or Detroit...we live in Texas.

And this is Texas music.

I present to you...Mr. Ray Wylie Hubbard.

Http://home.satx.rr.com/southernfried/ray.mp3

Note: Windows media player mp3 file. Also, couldn't get entire song on it cuz RoadRunner only gives me 5meg on homepage...but, you'll get the idea.

mavsfan1000
06-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Bring in the country music. :smokin

boutons
06-11-2005, 11:49 AM
... like Lee Ann Rimes at the All-star game?

Cut the fucking show biz and idiotic circus shit, just play basketball.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Cut the fucking show biz and idiotic circus shit, just play basketball.

A-fucking-men!

ALVAREZ6
06-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Watching the game on TV, it seemed like the crowd went dead during will smith's performance...

Spurgal
06-11-2005, 11:51 AM
God, I hated that pre-game show crap. We don't live in LA, or Detroit...we live in Texas.

And this is Texas music.

Note: Windows media player mp3 file. Also, couldn't get entire song on it cuz RoadRunner only gives me 5meg on homepage...but, you'll get the idea.

I assume this would have been your taste...
Old bag Willie Nelson
:lol
http://www.movingthegoalposts.org/images/Willie-Nelson.jpg

mavsfan1000
06-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Watching the game on TV, it seemed like the crowd went dead during will smith's performance...
:lmao

SequSpur
06-11-2005, 11:54 AM
The crowd was electric during that opening show.

WTF?

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Don't knock Willie.

I love some good Texas Country Music, but I know it has no business at the NBA Finals.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-11-2005, 11:56 AM
The crowd was electric during that opening show.

WTF?

Seriously, on TV it sounded DEAD. It seemed to look as if Will Smith was becoming a bit flustered with the lack of response from the crowd.

The angles of the cameras showed the crowd behind them and they seemed to be statues.

ALVAREZ6
06-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Seriously, on TV it sounded DEAD. It seemed to look as if Will Smith was becoming a bit flustered with the lack of response from the crowd.

The angles of the cameras showed the crowd behind them and they seemed to be statues.
That's exactly how it was.

Jimcs50
I thought that was Horry in the pregame show.

Who is Will Smith?

theballaplaya
oh no you didn't.. Country music amongst the ballas ain't happening...This ain't da rodeo.

Spurgal
06-11-2005, 11:59 AM
For Sunday Kelly Clarkson Is going to do the Natl' Anthem and the Stomp show will perform. :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-11-2005, 12:00 PM
For Sunday Kelly Clarkson Is going to do the Natl' Anthem and the Stomp show will perform. :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep

http://webpages.marshall.edu/~hammond20/KClarkson.jpg

Yum!

ALVAREZ6
06-11-2005, 12:01 PM
oh no you didn't.. Country music amongst the ballas ain't happening...This ain't da rodeo.
We ain't da pistons... There ain't no ballas on da Spurs

SequSpur
06-11-2005, 12:02 PM

Bro, we were walking into the game and they had the "VIP" entrance for the lower level tickets and I was commenting to my wife that none of those fuckers had Spurs gear on.

All I know, is Club Hispanic was going crazy up there.

:fro

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-11-2005, 12:04 PM
We ain't da pistons... There ain't no ballas on da Spurs

If any quote called for that picture of a tatted-up Tim and D-Rob, this is it. :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Bro, we were walking into the game and they had the "VIP" entrance for the lower level tickets and I was commenting to my wife that none of those fuckers had Spurs gear on.

All I know, is Club Hispanic was going crazy up there.

:fro

That's what everybody at Kori's was saying, but I couldn't stop laughing thinking that America was finally seeing a city stand up to this faux entertainment at sporting events.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-11-2005, 12:09 PM
http://webpages.marshall.edu/~hammond20/KClarkson.jpg

Yum!
Hell yeah! YUM!!

Sonia_TX
06-11-2005, 12:39 PM

I love Kelly! Stomp...not so much...but I am excited for Kel to be singing the NA. too bad she won't be in the SBC Center. :(

PaulTiberius
06-11-2005, 12:40 PM

I was embarrassed to have that on when when my friends showed up at the door.

Um, when the first word of your song is "SWITCH!!" ... uh, is that supposed to be cool? Mean something? Pump up the crowd for a night of competition? I mean, yeah, it's important to know when the D needs to switch off a pick and roll, but is that really something to write a song about?

God, I hate so-called "lyrics" today.

I'm gonna write a phat song. Goes like this, whut? "Curmudgeon!! Yo, yo, booga-booga, uh-huh baby, Curmudgeon!!"

angel_luv
06-11-2005, 12:40 PM
Will Smith's act was awesome. He had me dancing in the ledge boxes.

Sonia_TX
06-11-2005, 12:42 PM
I thought the performance was awesome too. Too bad it didnt' come across that way on TV. Everything is so much better live I tell ya!

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-11-2005, 12:42 PM
As if on cue, "Switch" just came on my XM Radio online trial.

angel_luv
06-11-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm excited about Kelly Clarkson. She does great work. I'll have to wait and see about Stomp.

angel_luv
06-11-2005, 12:44 PM
As if on cue, "Switch" just came on my XM Radio online trial.

Classic. () = )

maxpower
06-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Two words.

Cowboy Troy.

Sonia_TX
06-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Two words.

Cowboy Troy.

Please no.

ballhog
06-11-2005, 12:53 PM
The Will Smith bit sucked. Not a hip-hop crowd in the arena. I think they were expecting the starting lineups and got that crap. I would have been sitting on my hands as well. David Stern is evil.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Two words.

Cowboy Troy.

Please no.

For the love of God, no.

Sonia_TX
06-11-2005, 12:55 PM
The Will Smith bit sucked. Not a hip-hop crowd in the arena. I think they were expecting the starting lineups and got that crap. I would have been sitting on my hands as well. David Stern is evil.

Were you at the game or did you see it on TV? I was there and loved it...when I came home and saw it on TV I was disappointed and a little embarrassed because it came across like everybody HATED the performance. Made me feel bad for Will Smith. lol

spurster
06-11-2005, 01:09 PM
It was awful on TV, except that we laughed at the SWITCH on the dancers' butts.

ALVAREZ6
06-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Will Smith's act was awesome. He had me dancing in the ledge boxes.
I thought he sucked, his voice was really funky...the technology of videos can make someone sound really well I guess...

SequSpur
06-11-2005, 01:29 PM
It was better than Presley.

I like Will Smith.

He was going to sing Welcome to Miami, but had to change his tune...

LMAO.

Fuck the Heat.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-11-2005, 01:32 PM
It was better than Presley.

I like Will Smith.

He was going to sing Welcome to Miami, but had to change his tune...

LMAO.

Fuck the Heat.

Did he autograph the car you let him use?

SequSpur
06-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Did he autograph the car you let him use?

Huh?

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Huh?

http://www.sfu.ca/%7Einagra/spurs/sequ.gif

SequSpur
06-11-2005, 01:41 PM
How is that related to Will Smith though? I am not following the logic. Whatever.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-11-2005, 01:45 PM
How is that related to Will Smith though? I am not following the logic. Whatever.

Nevermind.

Shelly
06-11-2005, 01:52 PM
Will Smith drove up in that little car.

I thought I read that Kelly was singing live via satellite?

Kori Ellis
06-11-2005, 02:20 PM
The funniest thing about this thread is that all of you think that the song was "hip-hop". It's a pop song with that weird country influence -- it's not considered hip-hop at all.

SequSpur
06-11-2005, 02:24 PM
The funniest thing about this thread is that all of you think that the song was "hip-hop". It's a pop song with that weird country influence -- it's not considered hip-hop at all.

A black man singing at a basketball game with no band, a record scratcher and a bunch of chicks half naked dancing around him is not a country influence. It's either rap or hip-hop. :rolleyes

Kori Ellis
06-11-2005, 02:26 PM
A black man singing at a basketball game with no band, a record scratcher and a bunch of chicks half naked dancing around him is not a country influence. It's either rap or hip-hop. :rolleyes

The weird country influence is in that line dancing part. It's definitely just a pop song. It's not rap or hip-hop.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-11-2005, 02:26 PM

http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/id_1909872/artist.jhtml

http://www.cmt.com/sitewide/assets/img/artists/cowboy_troy/cowboytroy02-426x135.jpg

cqsallie
06-11-2005, 03:51 PM
The weird country influence is in that line dancing part. It's definitely just a pop song. It's not rap or hip-hop.
Never, in my wildest dreams would I have thought of "Switch" as anything but hip-hop. But, maybe SA's reputation as a gangsta town had something to do with it... :lol

Phenomanul
06-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Ummm being a musician myself... and not liking rap much at all... I actually like Will Smith...

His clean cut image is a match for San Antonio....

Imagine that, a rapper/movie star who is a loving parent and a devoted husband. He gets my nod of approval.

As for the way it came across on television... that was discussed earlier... ABC did not mike the crowd. Besides he tried to customize it for San Antonio, give him his props.

Sonia_TX
06-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Will Smith drove up in that little car.

I thought I read that Kelly was singing live via satellite?

She is singing Via Satellite...she's on a USO tour right now in the Persian Gulf. :)

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Go figure. I thought the song kicked ass. Hell, I've thought it was a great song for a while now, and if you ever went clubbing in Dallas you'd know why.

:baby :jack

N.Y. Johnny
06-11-2005, 04:20 PM
wasn't all that bad, its was ok....Robert Horry's music is ok I liked his "Nightmare On My Street" back in the day for a good laugh :lmao

Sense
06-11-2005, 04:37 PM

And this is Texas music.

I like Hip Hop and ABC....

But if you think Will Smith is part Hip Hop, lol, that's funny..

Will Smith is whiter than Eminem.

Sense
06-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Lol....

Btw I have to say, in Will Smith's performance, I could almost hear a cricket in the audience..

Ginofan
06-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Just cut the pregame BS. No Will Smith trying to promote his retarded album, no "New American Citizen" Alanis trying to sing the NA, and no oversized prop-trophys. Just freakin do the normal intro and play ball. Screw all the rest.

pooh
06-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Will Smith's song..."SWITCH" samples the drum beat of Fats Dominos classic "I'm Walking". I didn't like the song personally. You could tell Smith was almost "begging" the crowd to get into it, but they were like..."get off the stage and lets get the game underway."

ALVAREZ6
06-11-2005, 06:23 PM
the country music played at the All Star game was maybe the worst halftime performance of all time
Yeah that really sucked.

benjirh
06-11-2005, 06:35 PM

The song is rap. It is his style of rap. I will say that I agree that pregame shows are overated, but it wasn't horrible. Now the introductions are another story. That was brutal. If they do that again I will not be pleased.

angel_luv
06-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Will Smith's song..."SWITCH" samples the drum beat of Fats Dominos classic "I'm Walking". I didn't like the song personally. You could tell Smith was almost "begging" the crowd to get into it, but they were like..."get off the stage and lets get the game underway."

It is possible that a lot of people felt that way, but please don't speak for all of us. Several of my friends and I really enjoyed Will Smith's show.

I'm not saying I consider Will Smith to be anything close to a serious artist. However, the Finals are a big deal and it seemed appropriate and fun to bring someone out to make spectacle. Mission accomplished, Will.

Sonia_TX
06-11-2005, 06:44 PM

It is possible that a lot of people felt that way, but please don't speak for all of us. Several of my friends and I really enjoyed Will Smith's show.

I'm not saying I consider Will Smith to be anything close to a serious artist. However, the Finals are a big deal and it seemed appropriate and fun to bring someone out to make spectacle. Mission accomplished, Will.

Amen sister! I'm tired of explaining to people that only saw it on TV that it wasn't that the crowd wasn't responding to Will...it was the fact that you couldn't hear it on TV that made it seem like we weren't. That's what sucks. The crowd seemed in to it...including myself and the people around me. Grr.

angel_luv
06-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Guess Will was just there for us Sonia. = )
Although, I wonderwhat the Spurs though- f any of them were over there jammin.
Security was too thick for me to see.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-11-2005, 08:58 PM
There was nothing with Will Smith in pre-game.

Now if you want to talk about something that was a problem, howabout Stan Kelly's monotonous pre-game intro? Show some life Stan, it's the damn Finals!

ALVAREZ6
06-11-2005, 09:02 PM
I like Will Smith, he's one of my favorite actors/celebrities, he's a cool guy...but I am going to admit that his performance wasn't too good last night.

I'm not just gonna say I liked it because I like Will Smith. It's like when Manu has a horrible game, I'm not gonna say he played well, I'll admit he sucked, even though he's my favorite player.

spurschick
06-11-2005, 09:12 PM

From what I could see, some of them were sitting on the table in front of Bill and Sean, and some of them were in the corner by the big ass gold trophy, jumping around trying to stay warm.

slayermin
06-11-2005, 10:38 PM
I detest Will Smith, but his performance wasn't bad.

What I want to know is when are they gonna change "Are You Ready for This?"

There was some cool music before our lame intro song.

Vashner
06-11-2005, 10:40 PM
I wonder if this is the same bozo that did the NFL Janet Jackson thing.... which was the same bozo that was doing the Democrats DNC thing where he screamed "wheres the BEEPing ballons".. remember that?

spurster
06-11-2005, 10:46 PM
He was singing? Country? Pop? I revise my opinion from awful to god-awful.

Vashner
06-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Will had a LOT of songs that where better. That switch song sucks. It was embarassing. And in front of my old honor guard too (Brooks).

dknights411
06-11-2005, 11:23 PM
All the song was good for was to add another ditty to the music library when the Spurs are on offense.

Sonia_TX
06-11-2005, 11:48 PM

I didn't even pay attention to what the Spurs were doing during the performance. lol It was all about Will for me. ;)

I took video footage of the entire performance with my digicam...if anybody wants it. Its not as close as they showed it on TV...but whatever...you can actually hear the crowd. We were yelling. Oh yea and the singing wasn't me. lol Only the scream at the end. There were only two rows in our section because of all the media...but I'm sure it would have been louder if we had a full section...but it definitely is louder than it was on TV.

If Kori allows me I will post the link here...but i don't know if I can.

word
06-12-2005, 05:26 AM
For Sunday Kelly Clarkson Is going to do the Natl' Anthem

Providing security is right. It's live from Iraq as part of her USO tour.

bigzak25
06-12-2005, 05:38 AM
kelly clarkson is baddass. that will be tight.

stomp can march their asses right back out the door. we don't wanna see that shit.

and will smith, i got nothing against the guy, but that song does suck.

he was in africa a few weeks ago and i remember that's where he broke that song out...he's been trying to pimp it ever since...it sucks will. it's no 'get jiggy wit it' and that's saying something.

hip hop? shit, that wasn't hip hop. no more than that crappy remixed cotton eye joe song a few years ago was country.

maybe they're saving the real hiphop for detroit. eff country music in this venue. i'm tired of the texas redneck stereotype and the last thing we need to do is promote it further.

word
06-12-2005, 06:14 AM
i'm tired of the texas redneck stereotype and the last thing we need to do is promote it further.

Agreed.

Save that shit for 'Nashville Titans'. Historically, from waaaaay back, Texas has influenced the blues and R&R more than any state in America.

Fact.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-12-2005, 08:39 AM
kelly clarkson is baddass. that will be tight.

stomp can march their asses right back out the door. we don't wanna see that shit.

and will smith, i got nothing against the guy, but that song does suck.

he was in africa a few weeks ago and i remember that's where he broke that song out...he's been trying to pimp it ever since...it sucks will. it's no 'get jiggy wit it' and that's saying something.

hip hop? shit, that wasn't hip hop. no more than that crappy remixed cotton eye joe song a few years ago was country.

maybe they're saving the real hiphop for detroit. eff country music in this venue. i'm tired of the texas redneck stereotype and the last thing we need to do is promote it further.

We should buy you a cowboy hat.

infinite styles
06-12-2005, 10:17 AM
How many of you really think that they had Will Smith for the fans in SA and DET. They could care less about what our two cities thought about it. They put Big Willy Smith on there to attract audiences from other cities to watch. Plus I don't listen to country music and my guess would be that 75% of people in the country that frequent basketball wouldn't select country music as their favorite either.

When you try to do themes and use music that is major in the city that the game is being played then you get more of a watered down version of it. So I don't have a problem with Will Smith performing and further more I actually liked it. As a matter of fact I think that we should be critisizing the selection of the national anthem singer, but then again thats just me.

Remember you can't please everyone.

benjirh
06-12-2005, 11:48 AM

What do you mean he is not a "serious artist"? Because of his lyrics, because of his movies, because of his style? I am confused by what you mean please give me a definition of a "serious artist". I see him as an entertainer like most musicians.

TOP-CHERRY
06-12-2005, 01:38 PM
How many of you really think that they had Will Smith for the fans in SA and DET. They could care less about what our two cities thought about it. They put Big Willy Smith on there to attract audiences from other cities to watch. Plus I don't listen to country music and my guess would be that 75% of people in the country that frequent basketball wouldn't select country music as their favorite either.

When you try to do themes and use music that is major in the city that the game is being played then you get more of a watered down version of it. So I don't have a problem with Will Smith performing and further more I actually liked it. As a matter of fact I think that we should be critisizing the selection of the national anthem singer, but then again thats just me.

Remember you can't please everyone.

AMEN!!!!!!!!

There's just no pleasing some people. You guys should be grateful we got friggin' Will Smith and not another lame Lisa Presley performance!

And at least he sung live and brought really good dancers and a really good performance with the guys with the gold basketballs and their awesome moves!

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-12-2005, 01:41 PM
with the guys with the gold basketballs and their awesome moves!

It was nice to see Vince Carter finally make it to the NBA Finals.

bigzak25
06-12-2005, 03:32 PM
We should buy you a cowboy hat.

ees too late for me vato. :smokin

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/bigzak2525/bigzpuromejicano.jpg

PakiDan
06-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Why all the Will Smith Hating? I danced during the entire performance, while wearing a diaper and rubbing lotion on myself.... oh my God it was amazing...... shit, another memory I should have kept in my head.

N.Y. Johnny
06-12-2005, 05:00 PM
well, if everyone hated Will SMith it will probably be getting alot worse as the Series advances on.

Brutalis
06-12-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm from the real south. ;)

mavsfan1000
06-12-2005, 05:08 PM
I never liked Will Smith and his I'm so cool attitude. He has no talent in hip hop or whatever music he makes. His only talent is being an actor so he should stick with what he is good at.

N.Y. Johnny
06-12-2005, 05:24 PM
I never liked Will Smith and his I'm so cool attitude. He has no talent in hip hop or whatever music he makes. His only talent is being an actor so he should stick with what he is good at.

pretty much the consensus i guess exept for a few here and there that liked it....i didnt' care one way or another..
what they'll do at these FINALS is probably just put out some of that horrible Top 40 Mix Music that is out now.
I hope the NBA don't do like the NFL and wheel out some old Fossil like Paul McCartney out there :lol

jochhejaam
06-12-2005, 05:48 PM
SWITCH
Hey, vibe to vibe a second, it's a club girl why you arrived naked
Hear that, how the veteran glide the record
But don't download, go out and buy the record
Hey, something sexy bout her
Girl on the floor, all her friends around her
I mean real clean, ain't gotta touch or nothing
It ain't like I like a chick on chick or something
I'm just a sucker for a hot track
Gimme a drink and a chick to tell 'Stop that'
Dance is a hop and a clap, flip it round
Now bring it on back, break it down
Now switch....

That's country? No, that is definitely not, nope...never :rolleyes

I think it's a cross between garbage and smut....smarbage :lol

zocool16
06-12-2005, 05:49 PM
not everyone lives in texas... i live in L.A. and im the greatest spurs fan ever! (in my mind)... anyways i thought will smith was awesome too. i liked his performance

SouthernFried
06-12-2005, 06:27 PM
SWITCH
Hey, vibe to vibe a second, it's a club girl why you arrived naked
Hear that, how the veteran glide the record
But don't download, go out and buy the record
Hey, something sexy bout her
Girl on the floor, all her friends around her
I mean real clean, ain't gotta touch or nothing
It ain't like I like a chick on chick or something
I'm just a sucker for a hot track
Gimme a drink and a chick to tell 'Stop that'
Dance is a hop and a clap, flip it round
Now bring it on back, break it down
Now switch....

That's country? No, that is definitely not, nope...never :rolleyes I think it's a cross between garbage and smut....smarbage :lol

Christ, this is just stupid and ignorant...incredibly dumb lyrics.

mavsfan1000
06-12-2005, 06:30 PM
worst song ever.

ALVAREZ6
06-12-2005, 06:32 PM
worst song ever.
Not even close...even if it was sarcasm...you don't know how many terrible songs there are out there.

mavsfan1000
06-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Not even close...even if it was sarcasm...you don't know how many terrible songs there are out there.
I was just overreacting just like when people post a bad thread someone says worst thread ever.