PDA

View Full Version : Say goodby to Hulu

RandomGuy
06-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Most analysis says it is not looking good for one of my favorit websites...

Beware the Hulu hoodoo

Business and management
SchumpeterInternet companies
Beware the Hulu hoodoo
Jun 22nd 2011, 11:10 by J.B.

..FANS of "Glee", “Family Guy” and “Grey’s Anatomy” take note. Hulu, an American video-streaming website, has apparently been approached by a buyer, rumoured to be Yahoo! The prospect of a hot young video website being taken over by a grizzled dotcom veteran brings reminders of YouTube’s purchase by Google in 2006. YouTube has been something of a money pit for Google: it has yet to announce it has turned a profit. Hulu isn’t a money pit at all. It’s a snake pit.

Whereas anybody with a flip-cam can upload a video to YouTube, Hulu contains professional television shows. Three broadcast networks routinely feed it: ABC, Fox and NBC. Disney and News Corporation (representing ABC and Fox) are equity partners in Hulu, and sit on its board. NBC used to hold sway, too, but it was forced to step back when it was bought by Comcast, a large cable company.

Hulu’s website is terrific. Its shows are well-organised and start streaming instantly. There aren’t many advertisements, and the ones that run are costly: Hulu claims it costs more to reach a person on its website than on a broadcast television network. For $7.99 a month, American viewers can upgrade to Hulu Plus, which gets them a bigger archive, a handful of cable TV shows, and access on mobile devices.

Great stuff—unless you’re a media company. Having launched Hulu as a rival to YouTube and pirate networks, media executives have gradually soured on it. Programme-makers complain that putting shows on Hulu saps DVD sales. Some fear that viewers are becoming accustomed to light advertising loads. Others worry that Hulu is making it harder to sell repeats to cable networks. Most of all, they fret that the easy availability of shows online will encourage users to “cut the cord” and drop their cable TV subscriptions. Since Disney, News Corporation and Comcast all own extremely profitable cable channels, they aren’t keen on that.

It is getting worse. Following a terrifying slump in TV advertising during the recession, the broadcast networks have become eager to extort more money from the cable and satellite companies in the form of “retransmission fees” for their channels. Fights over these fees have become vicious, with occasional blackouts of shows. And the presence of Hulu isn’t helping at all. Faced with a demand for retransmission fees from ABC, Fox or NBC, a cable or satellite operator can point out that the broadcasters already give their shows away online. Why should they pay?

Tensions between Hulu and the media companies that feed it have become obvious in the past few months. They unlikely to ease soon. If Yahoo! buys Hulu it will be plunged into a nasty, long-running fight between media companies and distributors—not the sort of thing a Silicon Valley firm is used to handling. Probably better to stay clear.

Basically the networks and content providers are getting ready to dump it or really jack the fees that Hulu pays.

It may survive, but not in its current form.

MannyIsGod
06-23-2011, 01:03 PM
I never use it anymore. I even had plus for a couple of months but it sucked.

mrsmaalox
06-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Well I just started watching the UK The Office last night so I suppose I'd better finish it up real quick.

Frenzy
06-23-2011, 01:43 PM
"Some fear that viewers are becoming accustomed to light advertising loads."

Heaven forbid!

Dex
06-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Well I just started watching the UK The Office last night so I suppose I'd better finish it up real quick.

Shouldn't take you long. There are only 14 episodes.

LnGrrrR
06-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Eh, I can survive on Netflix.

Blake
06-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Eh, I can survive on Netflix.

Net flix is just too good for 8 bucks a month.

I'm seriously considering dropping the uverse package

leemajors
06-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Disney puts their new kids shows up within a couple of days on Netflix.

Trainwreck2100
06-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Disney puts their new kids shows up within a couple of days on Netflix.

Does that include the marvel shows? I wants my 90s spider man

TheMACHINE
06-23-2011, 02:06 PM
i dropped my uverse-300 back to Uverse-200 and just got the net flix.

leemajors
06-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Does that include the marvel shows? I wants my 90s spider man

I don't think it does, but they do put all the live action and Phineas and Ferb ones. I wish they did it with the Avengers one but I have those DVR'd.

koriwhat
06-23-2011, 03:14 PM
goodby.... good buy? good by? good bye? goodby.

Trainwreck2100
06-23-2011, 03:24 PM
I don't think it does, but they do put all the live action and Phineas and Ferb ones. I wish they did it with the Avengers one but I have those DVR'd.

http://marvel.com/news/story/15762/marvel_shows_now_available_on_netflix#ixzz1KyuXLGb m

they're supposed to have the avengers and all spider man animation series through the summer, but they're probably saving avengers for after the release of the captain america movie

leemajors
06-23-2011, 03:43 PM
http://marvel.com/news/story/15762/marvel_shows_now_available_on_netflix#ixzz1KyuXLGb m

they're supposed to have the avengers and all spider man animation series through the summer, but they're probably saving avengers for after the release of the captain america movie

The theme song sucked, but I liked the Marvel Knights Black Panther thing. Not sure if it is supposed to be like the motion comics they have on there (which kinda suck imo), but it was very entertaining.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Cable TV is dying and there's nothing these networks can do about it. If sites like Hulu don't kill it, netflix will and already is.

Stringer_Bell
06-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Not surprising. Anything that meets consumers needs but cuts into profits must be snuffed out. It's just not good business otherwise.

Slomo
06-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Are any of you familiar with this?

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/06/zediva-strikes-back/

JoeChalupa
06-23-2011, 09:21 PM
I don't like the use of the "R" word but that is just me.

PakiDan
06-24-2011, 11:42 AM
I never use it anymore. I even had plus for a couple of months but it sucked.

Whaaaat?? Hulu Plus is great. It allows me to catch all of my favorite shows at any time right on my TV. The streaming is awesome. It's like having a DVR that records almost everything.

Nathan Explosion
06-24-2011, 11:50 AM
I love Hulu because I'm really bad with my DVR and Hulu is my backup plan, that is almost my primary option. :lol

FromWayDowntown
06-24-2011, 11:50 AM
I use HuluPlus every day to have background noise when I work. It will suck if it goes away. I should really push through to check out shows I want to see.

koriwhat
06-24-2011, 12:11 PM
oh no not hulu and shitty syndicated tv show streams!

dirk4mvp
06-24-2011, 12:14 PM
koritwat scoffs everything.

fill out a mookie krew application, faggot.

MannyIsGod
06-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Whaaaat?? Hulu Plus is great. It allows me to catch all of my favorite shows at any time right on my TV. The streaming is awesome. It's like having a DVR that records almost everything.

Yeah but my DVR and torrents already allow me to do that. And they allow me to do it in HD and with 5.1. Hulu Plus on my PS3 was just bad. It was really buggy as well.

MannyIsGod
06-24-2011, 12:25 PM
You know even if I get past how bad the Hulu Plus software is compared to Netflix the big deal is the content and how much more Netflix has. Hulu Plus is just so limited.

Booharv
06-24-2011, 12:26 PM
koritwat scoffs everything.

fill out a mookie krew application, faggot.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

mouse
06-24-2011, 07:18 PM
goodby.... good buy? good by? good bye? goodby.

I knew that online diploma was worth it! :tu

Nathan Explosion
06-24-2011, 11:35 PM
You know even if I get past how bad the Hulu Plus software is compared to Netflix the big deal is the content and how much more Netflix has. Hulu Plus is just so limited.

Netflix may have more content, but it seems that the only shows I really want to watch aren't available on Netflix, except for DVDs from past seasons. With Hulu Plus, I watch these shows in 720p on both my computer and 360. Hell, my monitor looks almost as good as good as my TV (my TV has better contrast but that's it).

I have DVRs that I record my stuff on and my kids stuff on the one in the living room, but the problem is, unless it's a game of some sort, I tend to forget to set it. I do have stuff on there that I haven't watched that I've had for months already as well.

I could live without Hulu Plus if it did go away, but I'm glad it's around, because I've used it quite a bit since I discovered the site so long ago.

mouse
06-25-2011, 12:12 AM
i'm gonna have to go with koriwhott

Dude please edit once your sober........don't risk losing your Mookie fan club membership.

I now De-Mook thy, you can now go fourth to the Fark side (fag + Dark)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/fahrenheit-mookie.jpg

koriwhat
06-25-2011, 12:54 PM
mousefromSA?

He resides in dumpsters all across bexar county

mouse
06-26-2011, 03:59 PM
He resides in dumpsters all across bexar county

How else does one become the best trash talker?

koriwhat
06-26-2011, 04:44 PM
How else does one become the best trash talker?

finally a one liner worth a damn... good job oscar!

mouse
06-26-2011, 06:54 PM
finally a one liner worth a damn... good job oscar!

So there is hope we can one day be pals?

MannyIsGod
06-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Netflix may have more content, but it seems that the only shows I really want to watch aren't available on Netflix, except for DVDs from past seasons. With Hulu Plus, I watch these shows in 720p on both my computer and 360. Hell, my monitor looks almost as good as good as my TV (my TV has better contrast but that's it).

I have DVRs that I record my stuff on and my kids stuff on the one in the living room, but the problem is, unless it's a game of some sort, I tend to forget to set it. I do have stuff on there that I haven't watched that I've had for months already as well.

I could live without Hulu Plus if it did go away, but I'm glad it's around, because I've used it quite a bit since I discovered the site so long ago.

I'm sure there's people out there like you who find use for it but without more content its going to go out of business as you're seeing.

mouse
06-26-2011, 11:02 PM
I am never proud to post what I downloaded off the www but it is what it is and I want to be somewhat truthful on certain subjects.

I find it funny the one person who introduced me to downloading something free off the www happens to be the person above me.....:lmao

I remember back in the 90s Manny mentioned WinMX I think it was in an old forum called PMSA then the Underground Imposter and myself were talking about old school Metal like they used to play back in the 1978-1981 (heavy Metals peak) songs we can't locate at the music stores and eBay wants 14.00 dollars. 4.00 dollars for the CD 1o dollars shipping.
And I heard Manny talk about a cool song he downloaded and i asked him..

Hey Manny where you find that song? he said WinMx and I saw millions of people with the songs I needed then and the next day..I must say I never went into another music store again.......

How people find what they want and where they go to get it is so huge I see Google and Wall-Mart merging soon. I went 5 years with no TV or WiFi payment because the shit was free in the air! If I wanted to see the news the shits posted fater than waiting for the TV. If I wanted to see who got voted off Survivor I went to EZTV missed a Showtime or HBO show? go to BTJunkie. why would I need a TV or cable bill?

While TPark and Angel-Luv would be paying PPV $6.00 dollars to see Pulp Fiction I had already watched it 5 days after it hit the theater. I might have see 6 people get up for popcorn and I may have heard some dude talking sports from time to time but the shit was free.

I said back in 1999 If everyone in America stop using Cable the Entertainment industry would pay you to watch TV so they can sell they're Tide laundry soap and Budweiser Beer ...face it..the money for Advertizement is larger than the demand to see it.

Like I said it's not something to be proud of but it is what it is.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/vlcsnap-2011-05-27-23h35m51s73.jpg

Richard Cranium
06-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Some dude was selling DVD's yesterday for 3 for$10 and only 1 of the movies worked and it was poor quality.