PDA

View Full Version : Big Dog hopes to fetch title in mom's memory

Jimcs50
06-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Big Dog hopes to fetch title in mom's memory
By Greg Boeck, USA TODAY
SAN ANTONIO — In October, one dark day followed another for Glenn Robinson. The day after Philadelphia 76ers coach Jim O'Brien told him he wouldn't open the season as a starter, the 11-year veteran forward learned his mother was diagnosed with lung cancer.

Glenn Robinson is making his first NBA Finals appearance in 11 pro seasons.
By Joe Cavaretta, AP

Christine Bridgeman, 48, died two weeks ago. Now her son wants to honor her memory with a ring.

"That would be a great story," Robinson said.

His roller-coaster season began its final journey Thursday with Robinson contributing a slam dunk, three surprising blocks and three rebounds in two productive, three-minute stints in the San Antonio Spurs' come-from-behind 84-69 victory against the Detroit Pistons.

In his first action since missing the Western Conference finals because of his mother's death, the man called Big Dog returned with some old bite in Game 1 of the NBA Finals. He was on the floor when the Spurs, down 13 early, started their comeback. And he returned in the third period when the Spurs erased their final deficit of the game.

"I'm just ready to play when my number is called," Robinson said. "It's important that I make the most of my minutes. I know they'll be limited."

"He gave us a boost, what we needed," forward Bruce Bowen said. "We came out sluggish."

The irony of this Finals setting isn't lost on Robinson, who never put on a uniform for the Sixers this season before he was traded to the New Orleans Hornets Feb. 24 and subsequently released a week later. The Philly team that put him on the shelf is now out of business, and he's still tracking a championship.

"What goes around comes around, I guess," Robinson said. "I'm going to send BK (Sixers general manager Billy King) a case of champagne for making this possible."

After the two-time All-Star fell out of favor with O'Brien, he went on the injured list with elbow and ankle ailments.

O'Brien was fired last month after the Sixers were eliminated in the first round.

"I was hurting dealing with the Philly situation, but mostly I was dealing with my mom," Robinson said.

He worked out on his own to stay in shape but was in basketball purgatory, a career 20.7 scorer in the coach's doghouse. He played it professionally, choosing not to get into a public fight with O'Brien.

He also took advantage of his extended time on the injured list to go home and visit his sick mother a few times. "She told me everything happens for a reason," Robinson said.

Finally, the Sixers traded him, and the Hornets released him. Two weeks later, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich called and offered a job. He signed with the Spurs on April 4 and now is three wins away from honoring his mother with a ring.

Robinson played nine games in the regular season and averaged 17.4 minutes and 10.0 points. He played 10 games in the Spurs first two playoff series, averaging 9.9 minutes and 4.8 points.

He fits seamlessly into the Spurs' no-ego locker room. "He's just fun to be with," point guard Tony Parker said. "He's got all that experience. He's like a joker, like a Steve Kerr, to make big shots."

Or block them.

Willinsa
06-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Great article, I hope big dog gets his ring.

Sonia_TX
06-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Where is the end?! He fits seamlessly into the....THE WHAT!? lol

Dangit Jim! Get with it. :P

This made me cry...I'm such a cry baby. GRR.

grjr
06-11-2005, 01:03 PM
His Mom was only 48? Wow, that IS tough. I wish only the best for him.

SequSpur
06-11-2005, 01:06 PM
I read these articles this morning. I hope he does get it and Props to the Spurs for signing him.

During warmups he was actually practicing that slam that he had in the game, over and over again. He wasn't shooting Js, he was working on the slam game. Another reason.................

Spurs in Four.

Big Pimp_21
06-11-2005, 01:19 PM
How did his mom die? She sure was young, especially to have a 32 year old son. I hope he gets his ring!

RobinsontoDuncan
06-11-2005, 01:25 PM
He should be used far more in game 2, I would like to see Pop design a couple of plays for him, get him the ball and let him put some points on the board.

angel_luv
06-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Having lost a parent, I can really feel for Big Dog and Timmy. I am sure they miss their respective folks, especially during a great time like this.

Bring it home guys!

thispego
06-11-2005, 02:29 PM
How did his mom die? She sure was young, especially to have a 32 year old son. I hope he gets his ring!
did you read the article?

New Drebly032
06-11-2005, 03:49 PM
I feel bad for Big Dog, but Karl Malone said that last year as well.

angel_luv
06-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Malone who?

angel_luv
06-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Lol

Big Pimp_21
06-11-2005, 03:52 PM
did you read the article?
Sorry...I read the article, just not the very top. I got it now. :oops

Jimcs50
06-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Where is the end?! He fits seamlessly into the....THE WHAT!? lol

Dangit Jim! Get with it. :P

This made me cry...I'm such a cry baby. GRR.

oops, sorry....I corrected it.

:)

slayermin
06-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Big Dog has made some significant contributions, thus far. Hopefully he will make a few more before the Finals are done.

JoeChalupa
06-11-2005, 05:00 PM
I'd love to see the Big Dog hit some shots.