PDA

View Full Version : Horry interiewed on NBA TV

picnroll
06-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Says he wants to play two more years and then slip into scouting and maybe coaching. I think that bodes well for the Spurs retaining him. No better team for players to get into the scouting, coaching game post-playing days.

missmyzte
06-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Thank you!!!

T Park
06-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Robert Horry has turned into one of my favorite all time Spurs.

Hes so smart, and hes so clutch, but he does the little things, he busts his ass, he hustles back on transition D.

Id keep Robert Horry around as long as I could.

IMO, he would be a FANTASTIC NBA head coach.

Pop's protege and successor?

mavsfan1000
06-11-2005, 12:27 PM
He could take over for Will Smith also.

ChumpDumper
06-11-2005, 12:27 PM
That's great news. Put him on the Danny Ferry career track.

T Park
06-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Put him on the Danny Ferry career track

Id put him on the coaches career track.

He would be a fantastic FANTASTIC head coach in about 6 years IMO.

ChumpDumper
06-11-2005, 12:44 PM
I mainly meant how they'd pay him his last two years and then boot him upstairs. Whether it's coaching or scouting, there should be room for him here.

NCaliSpurs
06-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Do we have Eearly-Bird rights?

We have had him for two consecutive years. Anyone know?

SequSpur
06-11-2005, 12:53 PM
He wants this ring more than anything. I think the Lakers collapse was something that he needed mentally to move on and its really paying off this year.

He has been doing stuff this year defensively that he hasn't had to in awhile. He has definitely stepped up to the plate.

ducks
06-11-2005, 12:53 PM
horry 2 more seasons WOW

Experiment2100
06-11-2005, 12:55 PM
I think it's a player option for next year.

ChumpDumper
06-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Player option for next season.

If he opts out, the Spurs do have early Bird rights.

It would be a good year to overpay him then wink-wink him for the minimum the following season -- pretty much like his first two seasons.

ducks
06-11-2005, 12:57 PM
if he opts out he needs to be signed for the vet min
whatever works better

spurs also could wink a deal and pay him more as a scout

SequSpur
06-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Player option for next season.

If he opts out, the Spurs do have early Bird rights.

Do you have that in writing?

NCaliSpurs
06-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Sweet. So if Holt opens the wallet, then Horry is our man.

ChumpDumper
06-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Do you have that in writing?Do you care?

SequSpur
06-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Do you care?

Sup Chumpdump? Throw it down big man, throw it down!

ChumpDumper
06-11-2005, 01:13 PM
:lol

boutons
06-11-2005, 01:17 PM
Robert has a few personal goals to go after:

NBA champ on 3 different teams,
7+ total rings,
moving up the ranks in career playoffs 3Gs,
and in playoff games played.

He's having fun with Spurs, he doesn't need the money, his health is holding up.

2centsworth
06-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Horry is a great spur.

timvp
06-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Good news. The Spurs need to keep him around until he hangs it up. In the playoffs in the fourth quarters, there really isn't anyone else you'd want next to Duncan.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Great news. Two more years, damn. Get Scola in this summer so Rob can start imparting his corporate knowledge.

Kori Ellis
06-11-2005, 07:54 PM
I guess we can all assume that Horry will be taking his player option to stay with the Spurs next season. I am really interested in what's going to happen to the CBA. Hopefully the lockout time will be very, very brief.

ChumpDumper
06-11-2005, 08:28 PM
I guess we can all assume that Horry will be taking his player option to stay with the Spurs next season.I'm not sure about that. The Spurs might want to pay Horry more than that. Depending on the new salary cap and luxury tax thresholds the next couple of years, it might make sense to frontload Horry's total two-year compensation by signing him to an early Bird contract with a team option on the second year. The team wouldn't pick up the second year, but sign Horry for the minimum in year two. That way the Spurs could pay Horry, say, $5 million over the two years but take a cap hit of under $1 million for him that second year.

Sure it's convoluted, but from what we saw with Ferry, I think there might be a wink-wink deal to pay Horry more next season. Call it a hunch.

timvp
06-11-2005, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure about that. The Spurs might want to pay Horry more than that. Depending on the new salary cap and luxury tax thresholds the next couple of years, it might make sense to frontload Horry's total two-year compensation by signing him to an early Bird contract with a team option on the second year. The team wouldn't pick up the second year, but sign Horry for the minimum in year two. That way the Spurs could pay Horry, say, $5 million over the two years but take a cap hit of under $1 million for him that second year.

Sure it's convoluted, but from what we saw with Ferry, I think there might be a wink-wink deal to pay Horry more next season. Call it a hunch.

:tu

That's the way I think it'll go down too. No way Horry takes that player option if the Spurs want him around for another couple seasons.

Kori Ellis
06-11-2005, 08:32 PM
I'm not sure about that. The Spurs might want to pay Horry more than that. Depending on the new salary cap and luxury tax thresholds the next couple of years, it might make sense to frontload Horry's total two-year compensation by signing him to an early Bird contract with a team option on the second year. The team wouldn't pick up the second year, but sign Horry for the minimum in year two. That way the Spurs could pay Horry, say, $5 million over the two years but take a cap hit of under $1 million for him that second year.

Yeah, I'm sure it could go that way. I'm very interested in what's going to happen with the CBA.

Will they lower the max contracts to five years? Will they split up the MLE into 2/3, 1/3? That would effect a lot of players (agents).

It's interesting that for the past few years a lot of posters were incorrectly saying that there wouldn't be any luxury tax after this summer. Now it looks like, not only will there be a luxury tax but also a Super Luxury Tax. Some teams are going to get crushed with that.

ChumpDumper
06-11-2005, 08:41 PM
The tax was without a doubt the #1 factor in controlling payroll inflation; I couldn't see the owners giving that up. This super tax seems interesting. I imagine there will be a few seasons' grace period before it kicks in to give Cuban and Cablevision a chance to get their houses in order. Portland looks like it took the first tax (along with all the losing) as a cue to do so -- I don't see them adding too much this offseason.

missmyzte
06-12-2005, 12:40 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA061205.6S.BKNspurs.notebook.305b737ee.html

Coach 'Big Shot'? Spurs forward Robert Horry said Saturday that he wants to play two more seasons beyond this one, and then get involved in scouting and coaching.

"I want to play two more years, hit 15 and quit after 15," said Horry, who is in his 13th NBA season. "Maybe I'll do scouting and then slip into coaching after two more years."

What kind of coach would Horry be?

"I'd be like Pop," he said.

Actually, Horry said he has little interest in coaching at the pro level, preferring college.