PDA

View Full Version : Cory Joseph

Darth_Pelican
06-23-2011, 09:23 PM
eqn-kJ9XjYU

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Feel like they could have drafted him at 42.

A definite head scratch-er.

JsnSA
06-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I felt that way too after the guys on TV said it.

Solid D
06-23-2011, 09:29 PM
You could call it a reach.... but Joseph had a huge impact on the success of the Longhorns. He was my favorite player at Texas and that was on a team full of athletes.

SilverSpur
06-23-2011, 09:29 PM

I agree. We should have taken Justin Harper

AFBlue
06-23-2011, 09:30 PM
George Hill v2?

cheguevara
06-23-2011, 09:31 PM
You could call it a reach.... but Joseph had a huge impact on the success of the Longhorns. He was my favorite player at Texas and that was on a team full of athletes.

Then e will be great throwing alley hoop after alley hoop to Bonner n td

DMX7

"could have" doesn't mean anything. This is the player they wanted who was available, and they got him. G. Hill was suppose to be undrafted according to some and we used a first round pick on him.

spurtech09
I like the pick cory joseph is a good player.....

Amarelooms
06-23-2011, 09:32 PM
This cat will never be as good as Hill...should have kept Hill sons

:elephant

xtremesteven33
06-23-2011, 09:33 PM
He looks more like a natural PG than a combo guard like George Hill.

He looks very green but maybe the Spurs see something we dont.

Spurtacus
06-23-2011, 09:34 PM
In 3 years we will trade him for a mid first and early second.

I. Hustle
06-23-2011, 09:34 PM
We are robots
We must love all Spurs FO decisions
Must not question RC
Must love Pop
Go Spurs Go
Go Spurs Go
Goooo Sprrzzzzz Ggoogggoooo...

Solid D
06-23-2011, 09:35 PM

Joseph can play but you've got to remember the Spurs have a possible gem in Da'Sean Butler.

blkroadrunners
06-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Solid pick. Not great, but the Spurs needed a backup, and got whom they wanted I'm assuming.

spurtech09
06-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Joseph can play but you've got to remember the Spurs have a possible gem in Da'Sean Butler.
true dat.....

TD 21
06-23-2011, 09:37 PM

Based on projections, yes. But if they felt there was even a decent chance of him not being there, you don't risk it, if that's the player you want, which obviously it is in this case. Hill is a perfect example of that.

I had the feeling they'd draft him a while ago, but at 59. He's in the mold of Hill and people forget (or don't know), he was considered a 1st rounder for much of the season. But don't expect him to play much next season. I wonder if they'll bring in another point, or just go with Neal/Ginobili in tandem as the backups. Offensively, that's fine, but defensively, neither can defend points consistently.

ducks
06-23-2011, 09:38 PM
he can play d not hill 2
also he not turnover machine
also he mature

ducks
06-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Question can he run the pick and roll

Cane
Poor man's Mike Conley?

Solid D
You guys need to watch some college basketball. It's not like UT wasn't on TV. This kid has some game.

Spurtacus
If he can come in and play immediately and be a serviceable backup then I'm fine with that. I still think it was a reach at 29.

Nathan89
06-23-2011, 09:40 PM

:lmao He thinks we got this guy through trading Hill.

spurtech09
he can play d not hill 2
also he not turnover machine
also he mature
:toast

Borat Sagyidev
Cleveland is interested in him

look for us to dump RJ (with the CLE trade exception) and Joseph for some change

maybe sessions and some other chip

Cant_Be_Faded
He has size
He likes playing D
He is mature and has no attitude problems
He can shoot the NBA three

What in the world did the spurs see in this guy when they drafted him?

My major scoff factor about Corey declaring so early was that he lacks the athleticism to be an instant-impact type guy typical of successful 1-and-done players. He has a lot of room for improvement, and could have used at least one more year to polish his game.

He will definitely dominate the Toros.

spurtech09
06-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Cory Joseph will be a solid back up for tony parker....now spurs needs a big?

Cant_Be_Faded
06-23-2011, 09:45 PM
I never even considered the possibility of the Spurs getting Joseph but the more I think about it, the more I'm understanding what the Spurs saw in him.

Particularly the maturity, attitude, and willingness to be coached aspect.

Pop is probably looking forward to working with the kid.

Mugen
06-23-2011, 09:46 PM
people, including me, thought GHill was a huge reach at the end of the first round and he got flipped for the 15th pick, Euro prospect, and another 2nd rounder so I'm reserving judgment and hope Joseph pans out...

Spurs Brazil
06-23-2011, 09:48 PM
mikefinger Mike Finger
por JMcDonald_SAEN
Pop told Jeff McD and Old Man Monroe after the season he wanted a defensive

Obstructed_View
06-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Cool. Can't wait to see all these young, talented guys not play next year.

spurtech09
06-23-2011, 10:08 PM
spurs need a big now....

DynastySpurs210
06-23-2011, 10:21 PM
like what if this guy turns out being like kobe bryant? :O

4>0rings
06-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Waste of a pick.

JR3
06-23-2011, 10:26 PM
No opinion. I'll wait to see him play. Hope he will have the impact George Hill did.

jjktkk
06-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Hi gang. Just dropped in to say I still hate that idiot Pop and still hate that they let Mahimni walk. :cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

kobyz
06-23-2011, 11:07 PM
i like him more than Hill, remind me Delonte West

InRareForm
06-23-2011, 11:15 PM
most of who are mad at this are armchair college basketball analyzers

DMX7
06-23-2011, 11:23 PM

????
Does that mean you like West better than Hill? That's crazy talk, sonzzzz.

kobyz
06-23-2011, 11:24 PM
West is much better than Hill to me

Solid D
06-23-2011, 11:25 PM
http://videos.utexasclan.com/view.php?id=7279

Remember this?

DMX7
06-23-2011, 11:28 PM

I can't tell if you're serious or not. I can usually tell whether someone is or not.

Whisky Dog
06-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Joseph has sneaky athleticism and some hops, he isn't elite athletically but he had some moments at UT where he exploded on someone. There was one facial dunk on Tech's Mike Singletary that comes to mind. I think he'll be mentally tougher than Hill and I don't think the playoffs will be too big for him like it is for Bonner.

Nathan89
06-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Poor man's Mike Conley?

So you think he might be as good as Parker?

Mr. Body
06-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Very interesting pick. I wonder if the Spurs had him pegged at #42 with Indiana's pick, but got nervous when Nolan Smith and Reggie Jackson got picked so high and pulled him earlier.

He has a lot of tools, the personality, and the potential to be an excellent pick. It should also be said Texas PGs have done well in the NBA.

Spurtacus
06-24-2011, 12:38 AM
Very interesting pick. I wonder if the Spurs had him pegged at #42 with Indiana's pick, but got nervous when Nolan Smith and Reggie Jackson got picked so high and pulled him earlier.

He has a lot of tools, the personality, and the potential to be an excellent pick. It should also be said Texas PGs have done well in the NBA.

Ford, Ivey, Augustin. But all played past their Freshman year. Cory didn't.

Mr. Body
06-24-2011, 12:49 AM
I'd also count Daniel Gibson.

Leaving after one year is hardly the kiss of death. Just means he needs more seasoning. He doesn't suddenly lose his talent, and it's not like Rick Barnes really develops players much, anyway.

ChumpDumper
06-24-2011, 12:51 AM
Any freshman who holds his own in the Big 12 over 30 minutes a game is going to get the benefit of the doubt from me.

Speaking of TJ Ford -- I'm sure the Spurs are going to sign an insurance vet in case Joseph isn't ready -- better than Quinn?

ducks
06-24-2011, 01:02 AM
corey was their guy at 29 even before they knew the traded... intersting

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2011, 01:30 AM
Any freshman who holds his own in the Big 12 over 30 minutes a game is going to get the benefit of the doubt from me.

Speaking of TJ Ford -- I'm sure the Spurs are going to sign an insurance vet in case Joseph isn't ready -- better than Quinn?

was hoping to get tj ford back in the deal, but isnt he on a massive contract for a player whose gettin outplayed by collison?

ChumpDumper
06-24-2011, 01:32 AM
was hoping to get tj ford back in the deal, but isnt he on a massive contract for a player whose gettin outplayed by collison?I'm pretty sure it's over and he'll be a free agent.

CGD
06-24-2011, 01:35 AM
was hoping to get tj ford back in the deal, but isnt he on a massive contract for a player whose gettin outplayed by collison?

Ford is a Free Agent this summer. Would be solid as a backup.

Fireball
06-24-2011, 01:40 AM

no way ...

I will miss George and will watch more Pacers games next season (if he stays there and if there is a season of course) ...

jimo2305
06-24-2011, 06:41 AM
naww fuck that..

we could've used AJ abrams even..

i know who cory joseph is.. but he's not nba ready.. not by a long shot.. there's no way he's going to fill hill's void.. no fkn way

Russ
06-24-2011, 07:59 AM

You get the feeling that the Spurs had no doubt that Joseph would be at 29 and that allowed them to trade Hill for Leonard.

All things being equal, they might not have drafted Joseph that high but after trading Hill, they had overpay for Joseph (and felt the Leonard deal was so good, drafting Joseph at 29 was a small price to pay).

DMX7
06-24-2011, 08:05 AM
You get the feeling that the Spurs had no doubt that Joseph would be at 29 and that allowed them to trade Hill for Leonard.

All things being equal, they might not have drafted Joseph that high but after trading Hill, they had overpay for Joseph (and felt the Leonard deal was so good, drafting Joseph at 29 was a small price to pay).

Very small price to pay. I doubt he would have fallen too much further like everyone claims too.

DMX7
06-24-2011, 08:06 AM
no way ...

I will miss George and will watch more Pacers games next season (if he stays there and if there is a season of course) ...

Exactly, West is a scrub. That's just stupid.

mountainballer
06-24-2011, 08:18 AM
19, freshman

they say Cory should have stayed in school, at least for one more year.
right.
but does this increase the chance of the Spurs to get him?
no!
if he stays and he is one of those players, who explode in the 2nd year, then he would be out of reach next year. (remember Russell Westbrook?)

he wouldn't become our 1st back up anyhow. also not if he had another year of experience. Spurs will sign a vet in the JV mold, CJ will be the 3rd PG and spend most of the year in Austin. (doesn't even need to move)
yes, for his development it would be better to stay in school.
not for the Spurs if they feel he has it.

Bruno
06-24-2011, 08:30 AM
RC sounds very high on him. Spurs definitely saw something in him. The next step for Spurs would be to sign a cheap vet PG, Earl Watson is my pick in case Cory Joseph isn't ready as a rookie to step up as the backup PG. Trying Neal at backup PG with Manu alongside him to help him a lot is also an option worth being considered.

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2011, 08:38 AM
RC sounds very high on him. Spurs definitely saw something in him. The next step for Spurs would be to sign a cheap vet PG, Earl Watson is my pick in case Cory Joseph isn't ready as a rookie to step up as the backup PG. Trying Neal at backup PG with Manu alongside him to help him a lot is also an option worth being considered.

we dont need NEAL to be ala MASON V.2 with the ball handling, lets not expand his duty on this team in areas his not accustomed to....prefer him to be deadly shooter then that ball handling point forward...

jimo2305
06-24-2011, 09:44 AM
we dont need NEAL to be ala MASON V.2 with the ball handling, lets not expand his duty on this team in areas his not accustomed to....prefer him to be deadly shooter then that ball handling point forward...

exactly.. i mean neal is a good player but giving him ball handling responsibilities to me is just laughable

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2011, 10:09 AM
with an inexperience backup pg, looks like spurs going to sign a vet pg....quinn? lmao

jjktkk
06-24-2011, 10:15 AM
naww fuck that..

i know who cory joseph is.. but he's not nba ready.. not by a long shot.. there's no way he's going to fill hill's void.. no fkn way

But AJ Abrams is? :wow

antgomez2009
06-24-2011, 10:16 AM
GEORGE HILL IS NOT A PG....dam sons.... yea he was pretty good on D and can
occasionally hit some shots, but all that is expendable....Gary neal IMO is a better shooter and can play descent D...Lenoard will provide some good D when needed..joseph will get better guranteed and will back up parker when needed.....dam bunch of homers!!! Im a spurs fan for life, but i'd rather see Hill go then parker, because you cant replace another player like Parker whereas Hill is replacebale.... if you say otherwise...you must not know basketball.

jimo2305
06-24-2011, 02:25 PM
But AJ Abrams is? :wow

yes.. as a longhorn.. aj was a better pg than cory..

pgardn
06-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Abrahams had to shoot for Texas. Joseph had plenty of other options.

For the rest, it does not matter what you or I think where a player can be had. The Spurs liked the kid at that spot in their evaluations. He is the son of a coach. He is clearly very tough minded and tough defensively. And he is 19. He plays with the Toros and we will see. Maybe he actually makes the team but I dont see it this year.

We are very spoiled about thinking we can pick up a sure thing at #29... ?Manu and Tony are not going to happen in todays drafting unless you are very, very lucky.

Tristan Thompson and Joseph were probably the smartest players on the Texas team. I pity Portland for thinking they can reteach Jordan Hamilton. They got infected thinking he might be like Aldridge... On the other hand, Barnes does not teach basketball, so they might be able to do something with Hamilton. Hard to work with a Bball IQ of zero though.

Solid D
06-24-2011, 04:01 PM

We had Joseph in our own back yard. I'm not sure why so many people are dissing this pick. As I said before, even if Bertans was ranked higher than Joseph, the Spurs still got Bertans in the 2nd round and they can use the 1st round guaranteed money on a player who is more ready to play right away.

His talent is pretty obvious if you took time to watch the Horns play this year.

pgardn
06-24-2011, 04:06 PM
If AJ Abrams was a point guard then I'm fuckin Chris Paul.

True.

He was a very undersized 2 that had to handle the ball too much.

Spurtacus
06-24-2011, 04:23 PM
naww fuck that..

Hill's void is being filled by Neal/Anderson. Hill wasn't a PG and didn't even backup Parker full-time at that position. Manu ran the second team more then Hill did.

pancakechef
06-24-2011, 04:44 PM

Great another NBA'er to bang Lebron's mom

SenorSpur
06-24-2011, 04:46 PM
exactly.. i mean neal is a good player but giving him ball handling responsibilities to me is just laughable

But you can rest assured that it WILL happen. In fact, Pop gave some occasional minutes at that spot very late in the season, in spot duty.

I hope it doesn't continue.

ChumpDumper
06-24-2011, 04:48 PM
But you can rest assured that it WILL happen.Nah, they'll probably sign another point guard.

jimo2305
06-24-2011, 07:40 PM
If AJ Abrams was a point guard then I'm fuckin Chris Paul.

hey chris

but srsly.. the only knock i hear about abrams is him being undersized.. yes i agree he's an undersized pg but i just don't see how cory is so damn good that he'd make it as a 1st round pick right now.. i guess i'll have to wait a year or 2.. i just put aj as a comparison because noone drafted him yet his resume even from year 1 was much better than joseph's

ShoogarBear
06-24-2011, 07:46 PM
He has size
He likes playing D
He is mature and has no attitude problems
He can shoot the NBA three

What in the world did the spurs see in this guy when they drafted him?

My major scoff factor about Corey declaring so early was that he lacks the athleticism to be an instant-impact type guy typical of successful 1-and-done players. He has a lot of room for improvement, and could have used at least one more year to polish his game.

He will definitely dominate the Toros.

I'm still rofl at you cracking on him last night minutes before the Spurs drafted him.

ducks
06-24-2011, 08:48 PM
can he run the pick and roll

JonNOKC
06-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Cleveland is interested in him

look for us to dump RJ (with the CLE trade exception) and Joseph for some change

maybe sessions and some other chip

It doesn't makes sense for CLE to use trade exception on an RJ/Joseph combo - they already have Irving, Sessions, Davis, and Gibson at PG and if they use the trade exception it will be to take on a much better player than RJ

CLE could be good trade partner to get rid of RJ but something like this is much more plausible:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=63mnyhp

Salary difference minimal (RJ = 30 over 3 and Davis 28 over 2), plus Cavs get savings of Dice, and don't have to worry about Davis as a bad influence on young guys especially since his minutes would probably diminish even more in light of Irving and youth movement in CLE. RJ may suck but is a professional.

SA gets a backup veteran PG to come off bench and one who should be motivated/thankful for a chance at playoffs and play his best ball

anakha
06-24-2011, 09:28 PM
SA gets a backup veteran PG to come off bench and one who should be motivated/thankful for a chance at playoffs and play his best ball

There's a world of difference between "Should be" and "Is", especially when it comes to Baron Davis, though...

Stump
06-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Since Joseph was a bit of a reach, do we expect the Spurs to haggle with his contract or give him the standard 120%? I don't know the financial situation very well, but we have to be close to the luxury tax line.

EricD
06-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Has anyone asked ST's NBDL's Chris Sheridan (Chump) about how this kid will fit in Austin next year?

What do you think Chump? Does he have a chance to lead the NBDL in assists? What about his chances making the All-Star team? Can the toros get to the championship with Corey?

ChumpDumper
06-25-2011, 04:24 AM
Since Joseph was a bit of a reach, do we expect the Spurs to haggle with his contract or give him the standard 120%? I don't know the financial situation very well, but we have to be close to the luxury tax line.I don't think it matters a whole lot. The most he would make would be slightly over $1 million this season.

Has anyone asked ST's NBDL's Chris Sheridan (Chump) about how this kid will fit in Austin next year?

What do you think Chump? Does he have a chance to lead the NBDL in assists? What about his chances making the All-Star team? Can the toros get to the championship with Corey?lol still butthurt

TJastal
06-25-2011, 06:05 AM
lol we got Carlton as the new backup point guard. Welp, TP's gonna be seeing alot more minutes now for sure

TJastal
06-25-2011, 06:07 AM
Cool. Can't wait to see all these young, talented guys not play next year.

:lol

ChumpDumper
06-25-2011, 06:07 AM
So is every post of yours from now on is going to be bitching about the Hill trade or will you be sprinkling Pop and Bonner bitching in there as well?

Bitch.

pgardn
06-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Anyone think Richards was drafted as an immediate backup for Duncan?

This is all longer term stuff. Plenty of FA to man the point for 7 minutes/game.

Parker/Manu/Neal rotation this year. Manu can clearly play point. Neal in at 8 min for Manu, Manu for Parker after the quarter. Parker in for Neal... Its gonna be tough if someone goes down though.

Mel_13
06-25-2011, 07:52 AM
Parker/Manu/Neal rotation this year. Manu can clearly play point. Neal in at 8 min for Manu, Manu for Parker after the quarter. Parker in for Neal... Its gonna be tough if someone goes down though.

Anderson will be in the guard rotation.

pgardn
06-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Anderson will be in the guard rotation.

Im hoping on that one... Only problem is you can never have Neal and Anderson on the floor at the same time if a game means anything, thats a ball handling night mare. So Manu or Tony always have to be your handles on the floor every minute if a game counts. Hill could play with Neal but it definitely was not preferable.

ducks
06-25-2011, 10:30 AM
manu minutes will be 20 a year and he will be off the bench

ChumpDumper
06-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Anyone think Richards was drafted as an immediate backup for Duncan?Pretty doubtful. He currently hasn't even been selected by his senior national team. The Toros' backup center has, and that's after Pops Mensah-Bonsu pulled out with an injury. Richards is going to spend next month playing against shitty Euro children's teams. If he is chosen to play for the senior team, we can see if he plays any significant minutes in the Eurobasket competition in September.

Mel_13
06-25-2011, 01:07 PM
manu minutes will be 20 a year and he will be off the bench

20 minutes a year?

lol ducks

Harry Callahan
06-25-2011, 01:31 PM
yes.. as a longhorn.. aj was a better pg than cory..

AJ played at UT for FOUR years, not one. C'mon here.

Joseph is essentially a futures pick. He needed more seasoning at Texas, yes, but that wasn't to be.

I think RC was pretty happy about getting him.

What will Cory be in 3-4 years? He might be really good.

I know he is a willing defender, a good athlete, and has the range to hit pullup 3s.

Will he be better than George Hill next year? - No.
Would the Spurs be able to sign George Hill to a reasonable contract next year? Probably not.

Given that the Spurs don't have an unlimited budget for players, they did the best they could. The CBA could have made it even more difficult to keep a George Hill type player.

Peter Holt is deeply involved in the negotiations of the CBA and probably has a good idea what the lay of the land may be next year.

Hard caps and the like could make Hill an unaffordable luxury next year.

SilverSpur
06-25-2011, 01:31 PM
His play and his form remind me of Doc Rivers

SenorSpur
06-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Nah, they'll probably sign another point guard.

Chris Quinn perhaps?

ChumpDumper
06-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Chris Quinn perhaps?Maybe, but I think they might look for more of a primary backup point guard unless they are super high on Joseph.

SenorSpur
06-25-2011, 01:54 PM
It doesn't makes sense for CLE to use trade exception on an RJ/Joseph combo - they already have Irving, Sessions, Davis, and Gibson at PG and if they use the trade exception it will be to take on a much better player than RJ

CLE could be good trade partner to get rid of RJ but something like this is much more plausible:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=63mnyhp

Salary difference minimal (RJ = 30 over 3 and Davis 28 over 2), plus Cavs get savings of Dice, and don't have to worry about Davis as a bad influence on young guys especially since his minutes would probably diminish even more in light of Irving and youth movement in CLE. RJ may suck but is a professional.

At first, I dismissed this trade scenario. Then after reading the explanation, it does have advantages on about sides. I want to believe that the Cavs will be just as desparate to get rid of Baron Davis, as the Spurs will be to get rid of RJ.

Although, I just can't see Pop and R.C. welcoming a classic underachiever like Baron Davis into the fold. Seldom has he found his comfort zone. He's been out of shape or injured most of the time and moody the rest of the time. Still, it would be a good 2-year plan, giving Cory Joseph time to learn and develop. Also, Davis would probably add nore value to the team than RJ would.

However, if they knock on the Cavs door about any potential trade proposal, I hope it's for Anderson Varejao.

Harry Callahan
06-25-2011, 02:13 PM
SenorSpur
So you think Dice's contract has some value?

It does seem like another team would be interested in a one year, partially guaranteed deal for $5-6MM. I hope that is the case.

Mel_13
06-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Dice's contract is their best trade asset if they're to acquire an established NBA big.

bigfan
06-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Something about this kid I dont dig; he seems like he's high on the gangsta factor. He reminds me of Jason Terry or something.

Harry Callahan
06-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Something about this kid I dont dig; he seems like he's high on the gangsta factor. He reminds me of Jason Terry or something.

Naaah, I don't see him as another Turtle/Ratface Terry.

For one, he is from Toronto, Canada.

Two, RC Buford's adopted kid was on the Texas team, so he knows Joseph well. RC and Pop don't like taking on bad guys. Just look at their history.

SenorSpur
06-25-2011, 02:43 PM
SenorSpur
So you think Dice's contract has some value?

It does seem like another team would be interested in a one year, partially guaranteed deal for $5-6MM. I hope that is the case.

Absolutely. It's probably their best remaining asset.

jjktkk
06-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Maybe, but I think they might look for more of a primary backup point guard unless they are super high on Joseph.

This.

jjktkk
06-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Naaah, I don't see him as another Turtle/Ratface Terry.

For one, he is from Toronto, Canada.

Two, RC Buford's adopted kid was on the Texas team, so he knows Joseph well. RC and Pop don't like taking on bad guys. Just look at their history.

And in the fact Rick Barnes spoke very highly of Joseph as well.

Spurs Brazil
06-25-2011, 04:42 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/nba/teamsites/release/spurs/sites/spurs/files/imagecache/local_image_gallery_default/_31D9434.jpg

FuzzyLumpkins
06-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Trying Neal at backup PG with Manu alongside him to help him a lot is also an option worth being considered.

Sorry but this a terrible idea. A slightly athletic defender can pressure the ball with Neal and its bad bad news. Memphis demonstrated that very clearly and he got yanked real quick from extended minutes.

I love Neal but that just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Bruno
06-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Sorry but this a terrible idea. A slightly athletic defender can pressure the ball with Neal and its bad bad news. Memphis demonstrated that very clearly and he got yanked real quick from extended minutes.

I love Neal but that just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Manu would be the one doing most of the PG duties. Neal's task will only be to bring up the ball and put it in Manu's hand. It would work a lot like the Hill/Ginobili backcourt.

pgardn
06-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Pretty doubtful. He currently hasn't even been selected by his senior national team. The Toros' backup center has, and that's after Pops Mensah-Bonsu pulled out with an injury. Richards is going to spend next month playing against shitty Euro children's teams. If he is chosen to play for the senior team, we can see if he plays any significant minutes in the Eurobasket competition in September.

Which is my point about Joseph. In this draft, a 29th pick who plays important minutes is on a very bad team that needed immediate help at a specific position.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Which is my point about Joseph. In this draft, a 29th pick who plays important minutes is on a very bad team that needed immediate help at a specific position.I don't really follow.

I've already said I'm not sold on Joseph's being a rotation player right off the bat, though things like his ast/to ratio gives me some reason to think it's a possibility. I'm of the mind the Spurs are going to sign another vet point guard in the meantime.

As for Richards, he didn't play at all last season and is currently playing at a very low level. I think his being a rotation player is a practical impossibility and I'm not even sure he's even going to sign with the Spurs initially this season.

TD 21
06-25-2011, 07:30 PM

There's no question Ford is better than Quinn. He's in a different league than him. Unfortunately, he's pouty, thinks he's better than he is and not only shoots first, but second and third. He'll also more than likely command more than the veteran's minimum and I suspect that's all the Spurs will allot to their backup PG, if they go the free agent route.

Watson's the guy. Tough defender, pass first, can run a team, can make an occasional three and will accept the limited role he'll be given (roughly 15 mpg).

The problem with a Ginobili-Neal backup PG tandem -- that so many ignore -- is that Neal would regularly have to defend PG's. He's not quick enough to do that. Offensively, I think they could probably get away with it, but they'd face plenty of pressure/traps. Also, when Parker inevitably misses a few weeks, then what? Run Ginobili into the ground? They need a credible veteran.

SenorSpur
06-25-2011, 07:43 PM
There's no question Ford is better than Quinn. He's in a different league than him. Unfortunately, he's pouty, thinks he's better than he is and not only shoots first, but second and third. He'll also more than likely command more than the veteran's minimum and I suspect that's all the Spurs will allot to their backup PG, if they go the free agent route.

Watson's the guy. Tough defender, pass first, can run a team, can make an occasional three and will accept the limited role he'll be given (roughly 15 mpg).

The problem with a Ginobili-Neal backup PG tandem -- that so many ignore -- is that Neal would regularly have to defend PG's. He's not quick enough to do that. Offensively, I think they could probably get away with it, but they'd face plenty of pressure/traps. Also, when Parker inevitably misses a few weeks, then what? Run Ginobili into the ground? They need a credible veteran.

Any idea of Watson's contractual situation?

benefactor
06-25-2011, 07:44 PM
He's a free agent. There's a thread on him in the Think Tank.

Mel_13
06-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Any idea of Watson's contractual situation?

Played for the vet min in Utah last season. Ideal candidate for the backup PG job on the Spurs.

Bruno
06-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Pop won't play with a 7 players perimeter rotation of Parker, Ginobili, Jefferson, vet PG, Neal, Anderson and Leonard. So if Spurs go with a vet PG to be their backup, one of them won't play and it will likely be either James Anderson or Kawhi Leonard.

Spurs will likely sign a vet PG and Earl Watson is too my top pick but I don't think he will be the first option to play minutes behind Parker. He will be signed as an insurance in case Neal at PG doesn't work and Cory Joseph isn't good enough. At the end, this player will have a damn limited role and I can see Spurs going with a low profile player because a player like Watson would like to be in a situation with more minutes available.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Manu would be the one doing most of the PG duties. Neal's task will only be to bring up the ball and put it in Manu's hand. It would work a lot like the Hill/Ginobili backcourt.

Which would be when the defense with any plus defender can pick him up at half court and cause serious issues. Memphis did just that every time Neal caught the ball anywhere near half court. Denver exposed a weakness by doubling Manu hard and fast when Tony sat. You get the ball out of his hands and out to the other guards. Hill had issues and Neal was a disaster.

Having a press succeed against you is just a sign of disaster you typically only see in the NCAA. Rick Pitino demonstrated how a successful press absolutely dominates offenses throughout the 90s.

We have two legitimate SF now and less three guard lineups compounds that problem. You can get away with it for half a quarter here and there when there is some foul trouble but as a staple of the offense I just think its a bad idea.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Pop won't play with a 7 players perimeter rotation of Parker, Ginobili, Jefferson, vet PG, Neal, Anderson and Leonard. So if Spurs go with a vet PG to be their backup, one of them won't play and it will likely be either James Anderson or Kawhi Leonard.

Spurs will likely sign a vet PG and Earl Watson is too my top pick but I don't think he will be the first option to play minutes behind Parker. He will be signed as an insurance in case Neal at PG doesn't work and Cory Joseph isn't good enough. At the end, this player will have a damn limited role and I can see Spurs going with a low profile player because a player like Watson would like to be in a situation with more minutes available.

I am sorry to be contrary. I really do respect your takes but I disagree with this as well.

Even this year when he was determined to come out of the gate strong he would play 10 deep. He has a lot of starters on the wrong side of 30 and a sniff of injury has a guy in a suit before April.

He has two small forwards and Leonard at least will be asked to play some 4 like he wanted to with Dick the year before last. Dice is gone.

And now you have inserted the notion Neal at PG is even mulled over by the coaching staff as reality. He played Quinn over that idea last year.

Bruno
06-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Which would be when the defense with any plus defender can pick him up at half court and cause serious issues. Memphis did just that every time Neal caught the ball anywhere near half court. Denver exposed a weakness by doubling Manu hard and fast when Tony sat. You get the ball out of his hands and out to the other guards. Hill had issues and Neal was a disaster.

Having a press succeed against you is just a sign of disaster you typically only see in the NCAA. Rick Pitino demonstrated how a successful press absolutely dominates offenses throughout the 90s.

Neal is a good enough dribbler/ballhander to beat a press, it's just a matter of adjustments.

Spurs can do a lot things to make a Neal/Ginobili backcourt work. First, they can tell Neal to focus on working on his PG skills during the summer. Second, they can do a lot of tactical works with Manu during the trainign camp. Third, the Neal/Ginobili backcourt will have the regular season to work on its chemistry.

And I don't say Neal would be a great PG but it would be a choice by default. Cory Joseph shouldn't be ready to contribute in his rookie year and the FA market for PG is very thin. I would rather have a good true PG than Neal to backup Parker but Spurs will have a hard time getting one so Neal is worth a try.

Even this year when he was determined to come out of the gate strong he would play 10 deep. He has a lot of starters on the wrong side of 30 and a sniff of injury has a guy in a suit before April.

He has two small forwards and Leonard at least will be asked to play some 4 like he wanted to with Dick the year before last. Dice is gone.

A 7 perimeter rotation means that the team goes 11 deep and it's damn hard to do. Even Pop isn't able to go that deep.
In 09-10, Spurs were 7 deep on the perimeter with Parker, Hill, Ginobili, Mason, Jefferson, Bogans and Finley. It ended with Mason askign to eb traded and Finley asking to be released.
In 10-11, Spurs were 5 deep at PF/C It ended with Splitter being in the doghouse during the regular season and Blair not playing during the playoffs.

Leonard playing some minutes at PF could help Pop to give minutes to everybody but do you really want have Leonard playing significant minutes at PF? I don't think it's in Spurs interest to go small like that.

And now you have inserted the notion Neal at PG is even mulled over by the coaching staff as reality. He played Quinn over that idea last year.

I don't know what is Spurs staff plan regarding the backup PG spot. I'm just saying what I think they should do.

MaNu4Tres
06-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Bruno is 100% correct here.

He hit every nail on the head.

Agreed w/ everything about the wing/guard rotation. :tu

It's about maximizing the playing time for your best players. Moving Neal to back up PG w/ the help of Manu does that (free's up time for Anderson/Leonard at SG/SF).

Bruno
06-25-2011, 09:53 PM
At the moment, here is how the rotation should look:

Starters/Bench/back-up and/or D-League.
Parker/Neal/Joseph
Anderson/Manu
Kahwi/Jefferson/Butler
Duncan/Blair
Splitter/Richards

Any or all 4 of Butler, Joseph, Kahwi and Richards could see a lot of the D-League. However, I highly doubt the Spurs are done making moves. I don't expect Anything big. I'd like another big, but I doubt anyone really helps the Spurs by doing a salary dump with McDyess' contract, nor do I think the Spurs ownership would be willing to take on more money in longer contracts unless Duncan opts put for something like 3 years 27 million.

Richards getting minutes over Bonner?
I don't see how it could happen.

If Spurs want to be competitive next year, they can't stand pat. A Duncan/Splitter/Bonner/Blair paint rotation is just too weak.

Solid D
06-25-2011, 10:00 PM
I believe Pop thinks that Splitter backs up Duncan most of the time. Neither one of them keep up with quick 4s very well and they both play in the post.

Bruno
06-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Selective memory. Forgot about Bonner. For good reason.

Lucky guy.
Too bad I can't forget.

Bruno
06-25-2011, 10:05 PM
I believe Pop thinks that Splitter backs up Duncan most of the time. Neither one of them keep up with quick 4s very well and they both play in the post.

Another effect to start Splitter alongside Tim would be that the secodn unit would be Blair and Bonner. I'm sure we all would be thrilled to see back that amazing duo. :depressed

MaNu4Tres
06-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Another effect to start Splitter alongside Tim would be that the secodn unit would be Blair and Bonner. I'm sure we all would be thrilled to see back that amazing duo. :depressed

Blair or Bonner has to go.

Spurs have to improve their front-line outside of Duncan/Splitter.

Cessation
06-25-2011, 10:20 PM
This joseph looks alright to me, he's got a nice pace to his game. I doubt, we'll see neal at pg that much. Though, he'd be much better than mason at it, since he played pg in europe. It will be the vet pickup(ex. watson) or manu backing up tp at point.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-25-2011, 10:24 PM
This joseph looks alright to me, he's got a nice pace to his game. I doubt, we'll see neal at pg that much. Though, he'd be much better than mason at it, since he played pg in europe. It will be the vet pickup(ex. watson) or manu backing up tp at point.

I guess I don't really get the thoughts about having SGs play PG. The positions are different. You can ask a left tackle to play left guard (in football) and he might be OK at it but it's not his position.

Obviously, the Spurs needed a backup PG better than what they have so they drafted one w/ the 29th pick. I seem to remember TP being a late pick in that area as well. They don't need a veteran PG to come in a take up salary and playing time from the rookies - they need more patience and understanding (both of the game and the salary cap situation) from their fans.

Cessation
06-25-2011, 10:29 PM
I guess I don't really get the thoughts about having SGs play PG. The positions are different. You can ask a left tackle to play left guard (in football) and he might be OK at it but it's not his position.

Obviously, the Spurs needed a backup PG better than what they have so they drafted one w/ the 29th pick. I seem to remember TP being a late pick in that area as well. They don't need a veteran PG to come in a take up salary and playing time from the rookies - they need more patience and understanding (both of the game and the salary cap situation) from their fans.

TP was an exception. I know all the fans want to see the draft pick play, myself included, but pop hates playing rookies to begin with, there is no way he goes into the season with only 19 year old joseph backing tp up.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Neal is a good enough dribbler/ballhander to beat a press, it's just a matter of adjustments.

This would make sense if it were not for seeing how he responded to the press last season. Beating the press is not all about the dribble. You have to be able to make cuts such that the defender cannot stay in front of you when he presses. Neal does not have the quicks to do this.

Pop was playing Quinn over Neal at the point, I can guess what the Spurs are going to do.

Spurs can do a lot things to make a Neal/Ginobili backcourt work. First, they can tell Neal to focus on working on his PG skills during the summer. Second, they can do a lot of tactical works with Manu during the trainign camp. Third, the Neal/Ginobili backcourt will have the regular season to work on its chemistry.

Sure they can bring extra guys up for outlets and delay getting into their sets. Neal cannot keep quicker defenders out of his face.

And I don't say Neal would be a great PG but it would be a choice by default. Cory Joseph shouldn't be ready to contribute in his rookie year and the FA market for PG is very thin. I would rather have a good true PG than Neal to backup Parker but Spurs will have a hard time getting one so Neal is worth a try.

I have no idea what Joseph should or should not be able to do. I do not see how you can make claims like that. They can try it sure. That soes not mean that it will not be exposed as a glaring weakness.

A 7 perimeter rotation means that the team goes 11 deep and it's damn hard to do. Even Pop isn't able to go that deep.
In 09-10, Spurs were 7 deep on the perimeter with Parker, Hill, Ginobili, Mason, Jefferson, Bogans and Finley. It ended with Mason asking to be traded and Finley asking to be released.

Mason and Finley were hurt for stretches that season. Mason's hand was jacked. That was my whole point about injuries. They are not going to play the starters many minutes. There are going to be more than 50 minutes left after the starters at the 1-3 play their 30 minutes a night

I do not see how over an 82 game season that those guys could not see minutes one way or another. The primary guard off the bench is gone and the others are young. We are going to see many lineups

In 10-11, Spurs were 5 deep at PF/C It ended with Splitter being in the doghouse during the regular season and Blair not playing during the playoffs.

Splitter was hurt early after joining the team late and a rookie. Thats not the doghouse but Pop being Pop with a new guy who is hurt.Blair was terrible. He played and then got benched. Terrible defense and no contribution on offense forced Pop's hand.

Blair, Bonner, Dice and as the season wore on Splitter all saw minutes

Leonard playing some minutes at PF could help Pop to give minutes to everybody but do you really want have Leonard playing significant minutes at PF? I don't think it's in Spurs interest to go small like that.

I would rather see him get minutes at the 4 then Neal at the 1.

I don't know what is Spurs staff plan regarding the backup PG spot. I'm just saying what I think they should do.

Fair enough and maybe it will work but against good defenses I just feel that would be a disaster.

DMX7
06-25-2011, 10:43 PM
CJ sounds exactly like Tony Parker did when he was a rookie.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-25-2011, 10:49 PM
TP was an exception. I know all the fans want to see the draft pick play, myself included, but pop hates playing rookies to begin with, there is no way he goes into the season with only 19 year old joseph backing tp up.

Hill saw almost 20 mins a night his rookie year. Beno saw 14. We went a lot of years with no 1st round picks. Mahinmi could not play.

I agree that they will do whatever is within their power to get another PG though.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-25-2011, 11:10 PM
Pop will play the players he has. There's no reason for him not to play Joseph as the backup PG this year - why would he be drafted to play next year?

Leonard will play as well. So will Anderson. The Spurs need their new youth to get experience and there's only one way to get true NBA experience.

Are they going to be a contending team - NO. Will they make the playoffs - probably.

Bender
06-25-2011, 11:11 PM
I dont think I want neal doing backup pg. I remember the failed RMJ experiment.

SenorSpur
06-25-2011, 11:24 PM
At the moment, here is how the rotation should look:

Starters/Bench/back-up and/or D-League.
Parker/Neal/Joseph
Anderson/Manu
Kahwi/Jefferson/Butler
Duncan/Blair
Splitter/Richards

Any or all 4 of Butler, Joseph, Kahwi and Richards could see a lot of the D-League. However, I highly doubt the Spurs are done making moves. I don't expect Anything big. I'd like another big, but I doubt anyone really helps the Spurs by doing a salary dump with McDyess' contract, nor do I think the Spurs ownership would be willing to take on more money in longer contracts unless Duncan opts put for something like 3 years 27 million.

Phila, you're assuming Butler beats out Green for a roster spot? I don't know about that one. Personally, I give Green a slight edge.

As for Joseph, remember he's only had 1 year of college and he wasn't even the primary starter at the PG spot. With the lockout coming, I would imagine that he'll be hurt most by the lack of solid coaching and court time. I predict he'll spend a good portion of time in the D-League for some needed seasoning.

HankChinaski
06-25-2011, 11:31 PM
I thought they have a couple year un-guaranteed contract for butler? I mean I don't think they'll just cut their losses with him at training camp but he could lose a shot at start of season with green out performing him initially and them sending him down to d-league and see how he fairs their and test again at a later date. He's a young prospect at a incredibly low risk scale contract with high rewards.

But Green probably does have the edge over Butler so far in the rotation potential coming next season.

This f-ing CBA is really the big hole that is going to ruin the season for all fans this year as well as hamper a ton of teams developing said new talent into proper order. A shorten season benefits mostly teams that have been together a longer time with a similiar core over teams with younger talent and new faces.

HankChinaski
06-25-2011, 11:35 PM
Oh and regards to Joseph, well I haven't seen much on the guy only read what has been thrown out by the draftxpress and excetera. It hurts them initially this upcoming season with the loss of Hill's familiarity with the big 3 and roster, it's a bit of a gamble in regards to contending for a trophy but it's a good move in the long term. He may end up surprising fans and come out with a strong rookie season whenever that will be.

Can't make a sound evaluation over the picks without seeing what comes of off seasons free agency and other potential moves with this franchise.

lefty
06-26-2011, 12:30 AM
I dont think I want neal doing backup pg. I remember the failed RMJ experiment.
Exactly the way I feel

People around here bash RMJ, but he was pretty good before Pop started ass-fucking his empty wine bottles

EricD
06-26-2011, 05:38 AM
Exactly the way I feel

People around here bash RMJ, but he was pretty good before Pop started ass-fucking his empty wine bottles

:lol @ dumb spurfan who still thinks Mason only sucked because he dribbled the ball up the floor on occasion.

Mason started sucking because teams started having his pick-one dribble pull up jumper scouted. Dribbling the ball up the court to get the ball to Manu in half-court sets wasn't the problem.

In fact, Mason was always most affective his first year whenever he had the ball in his hands in half-court sets like a PG. The defense just wasn't aware of his ability to knock down the one dribble pull-up off the screen early on (which was his bread and butter). Once the defense became of aware of that weapon they started hedging the pick and roll and Mason started sucking because he didn't have the ability to adjust (this happened when he played both the SG and PG spot).

Mason started sucking because defenses adjusted to his very limited array of skills. At the same time, he was always dog shit on defense.

So y'all clowns got the " MASON ONLY SUCKED BECAUSE POP MADE HIM BRING THE BALL UP A FEW TIMES" all wrong. Mason sucked because Mason sucked. Not because of Pop.

Get a clue.

objective
06-26-2011, 05:43 AM
i don't know if it's been mentioned already, but in case it hasn't . . .

For anyone who wants to see games of Joseph in action to form your own opinion, ESPN3 has a ton of Texas Big 12 full games available to watch.

EricD
06-26-2011, 05:47 AM
Let me add,

Last year, Neal showed much better ability at adjusting with the ball in his hands off picks. He was able to get inside the defense (whenever defenses wanted him to put the ball on the floor) much more efficiently than Mason ever did --where he not only found himself a high percentage shot, but he was able to find his teammates for high percentage shots as well. Mason never had any amount of success in this regard.

Hell, Neal looked to be more fluid in this part of the game than Hill at times last year.

pgardn
06-26-2011, 10:44 AM
I don't really follow.

I've already said I'm not sold on Joseph's being a rotation player right off the bat, though things like his ast/to ratio gives me some reason to think it's a possibility. I'm of the mind the Spurs are going to sign another vet point guard in the meantime.

As for Richards, he didn't play at all last season and is currently playing at a very low level. I think his being a rotation player is a practical impossibility and I'm not even sure he's even going to sign with the Spurs initially this season.

Now that you look back on Richards with hindsight... This could be exactly the same fate for Corey. Imo he might never be in the rotation. The 29th position in this draft should not be a real need, its a reasonable gamble, just like Richards. Im hoping for more, but expecting a FA point and Corey not making the team this season.

pgardn
06-26-2011, 10:48 AM
:lol @ dumb spurfan who still thinks Mason only sucked because he dribbled the ball up the floor on occasion.

Mason started sucking because teams started having his pick-one dribble pull up jumper scouted. Dribbling the ball up the court to get the ball to Manu in half-court sets wasn't the problem.

In fact, Mason was always most affective his first year whenever he had the ball in his hands in half-court sets like a PG. The defense just wasn't aware of his ability to knock down the one dribble pull-up off the screen early on (which was his bread and butter). Once the defense became of aware of that weapon they started hedging the pick and roll and Mason started sucking because he didn't have the ability to adjust (this happened when he played both the SG and PG spot).

Mason started sucking because defenses adjusted to his very limited array of skills. At the same time, he was always dog shit on defense.

So y'all clowns got the " MASON ONLY SUCKED BECAUSE POP MADE HIM BRING THE BALL UP A FEW TIMES" all wrong. Mason sucked because Mason sucked. Not because of Pop.

Get a clue.

Agreed. He looked good on a bad team before we got him. This type of player always sets off alarms.

The Truth #6
06-26-2011, 10:50 AM
From my vague recollection, Neal seemed to have more true point guard skills then Hill when we saw Neal do spot duty in the playoffs. I don't remember him getting murdered on the press in the way Beno did in 05. Neal seemed to have some knowledge and instincts on how to work with a pick and roll, which was always a struggle with Hill. For whatever limited minutes we need a backup pointguard (what, 13 mins a game?) I can live with Neal getting those minutes just to have him on the floor. I'd rather have that, or give the rookie a chance, then Quinn or some other veteran we bring in who has no idea how to deal with Pop's System - i.e., his byzantine playbook and prickly nature.

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Agreed with EricD, Bruno and the Truth #6 here. :tu

BackHome
06-26-2011, 11:50 AM
I like Neal but I don't want him playing the backup PG role for our team. He can do some in spot setting but to be honest I look for the Spurs to bring in another PG..So that means Joseph in D-League and Quinn released.

k_nguyen93
06-26-2011, 11:52 AM

Was Tony a 40% three point shooter and excellent defender :wow

k_nguyen93
06-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Let me add,

Last year, Neal showed much better ability at adjusting with the ball in his hands off picks. He was able to get inside the defense (whenever defenses wanted him to put the ball on the floor) much more efficiently than Mason ever did --where he not only found himself a high percentage shot, but he was able to find his teammates for high percentage shots as well. Mason never had any amount of success in this regard.

Hell, Neal looked to be more fluid in this part of the game than Hill at times last year.

Neal can get inside and hit the floater or pull up j.

With the exception of Splitter, everyone seems to be over exaggerating Pop's unwillingness to play rookies. By all accounts, Cory and Kawhi are gym rats so they should have no problem getting 15 mpg at the very least.

George Hill: 16.5 mpg
DeJuan Blair: 18.2 mpg
James Anderson (6 games before injury): 17.7 mpg
Gary Neal: 21.1 mpg

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Neal can get inside and hit the floater or pull up j.

this is the only thing i hate about his game, sometimes he gets to comfy out there on the court pulling the same shit over and over again passing up the 3 to go inside for a better shot, he probably hits the 3 with better % then going inside to score....

Mel_13
06-26-2011, 12:05 PM
everyone seems to be over exaggerating Pop's unwillingness to play rookies

It's among the top 5 ST myths.

k_nguyen93
06-26-2011, 12:10 PM
this is the only thing i hate about his game, sometimes he gets to comfy out there on the court pulling the same shit over and over again passing up the 3 to go inside for a better shot, he probably hits the 3 with better % then going inside to score....

I have no problem with it if he actually learned to dish it off to a cutting Duncan or Parker. The man that runs out for the three is beat but then Neal shoots a floater over the help defender instead of passing it off. I think part of it is Pop is going to yank him if he keeps jacking up contested threes. He's given like 1-2 a game.

k_nguyen93
06-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Cory Joseph Interview: http://media.ccomrcdn.com/media/station_content/1229/Corey_Joseph_6-25-11_1309102829_16918.mp3

ChumpDumper
06-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Now that you look back on Richards with hindsight... This could be exactly the same fate for Corey. Imo he might never be in the rotation. The 29th position in this draft should not be a real need, its a reasonable gamble, just like Richards. Im hoping for more, but expecting a FA point and Corey not making the team this season.Richards was picked 49th, not 29th.

I agree 29th in this particular draft is like picking a second rounder in other years. That's why the Spurs rolled the dice and went so young. Howevah, he'll make the team regardless of who else is signed. Joseph is not the kind of guy a team will just waive after training camp. Two guaranteed years is just fine to see how much he progresses.

Vic Petro
06-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Cory Joseph Interview: http://media.ccomrcdn.com/media/station_content/1229/Corey_Joseph_6-25-11_1309102829_16918.mp3

Thanks for posting

FuzzyLumpkins
06-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Let me add,

You apparently like to make up shit. They pretty much never ran Neal as the ball handler on pick and rolls unless it was deep in the second team in garbage time.

He would come off screens running along and up from the baseline on set plays to take advantage of his lightning quick release a la Richard Hamilton with better range.

Its also good that you bring up defense. Neal lacks the agility to keep + defenders off him if he dominates the ball --which to his credit he has not done-- but on defense against point guards he would be slaughtered.

He was getting out of position because his anticipation could not make up for his lack of quicks against opponent 2's. Then he would compound that by fouling. Paul, Westbrook, Conley, or Currey would absolutely dominate that matchup and we would be playing another PG with Neal on the bench in foul trouble.

yavozerb
06-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Didnt want to open another thread but mentions Hanga and Joseph..

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/748396-nba-draft-recap-surprises-and-sleepers-of-the-2011-nba-draft

Solid D
06-26-2011, 04:30 PM

Thanks for posting this interview.

pgardn
06-26-2011, 07:16 PM

Tony is/was 9X as fast. If you have watched both of these guys in front of your face its not even close. Parker is one of the fastest guys with the ball I have ever seen when he was a rookie. I apologize if I missed the sarcasm.

EricD
06-26-2011, 08:14 PM
You apparently like to make up shit. They pretty much never ran Neal as the ball handler on pick and rolls unless it was deep in the second team in garbage time.

You're a clown.

If anyone watches the Spurs its me.

Not only just one time, but I DVR every game and watch it extensively.

Neal had the ball in many pick and roll opportunities throughout the year and at times looked more fluid than Hill at this very aspect of the game.

Get a clue Fuzz

You're a joke watch some games.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks for posting this interview.

:tu sounds like Cory.

Fucking crazy to think he was only 9 when Parker was going against Gary Payton in the 2002 playoffs

Tyrone Jenkins
06-26-2011, 08:40 PM
You're a clown.

If anyone watches the Spurs its me.

Not only just one time, but I DVR every game and watch it extensively.

Neal had the ball in many pick and roll opportunities throughout the year and at times looked more fluid than Hill at this very aspect of the game.

Get a clue Fuzz

You're a joke watch some games.

EricD, let me see if I can add some perspective...

Point guards are point guards for 2 reasons - decision making and ball handling. Size is usually an indication but not always (Magic Johnson was 6'10"; Jalen Rose was 6'9"). Tony Parker is the quintesential PG in that his decision making often results in him or his teammates getting good looks at the basket. That is from off the pick and roll, from working the motion offense or what have you. The shots don't always go in but the best you can ask from a coaching standpoint are good looks at the basket.

Neal isn't a PG naturally. He can handle the ball but his decision making is un-PG like. He's played SG pretty much all his life (college, overseas) and has averaged more RPG than APG for the most part. It's who he is.

Cory Joseph is a PG and Pop and the FO realize the need for one. The experiments of having players play out of position and being undersized are probably going to be a thing of the past.

tim_duncan_fan
06-26-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm sure a bunch of you guys can attest to things I can't as I don't watch much NCAAB, but this guy didn't have great college numbers...

ChumpDumper
06-26-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm sure a bunch of you guys can attest to things I can't as I don't watch much NCAAB, but this guy didn't have great college numbers...He would have had better numbers if he went to IUPUI.

tim_duncan_fan
06-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Hahaha, yeah. Good point. I hope he's twice as good as George (who I'm still rooting for next season.)

k_nguyen93
06-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Cory Joseph looking sharp. Pretty sure George's hoes will forget about him real soon :rolleyes

http://www.kens5.com/news/local/New-Spurs-player-Cory-Joseph-I-cant-wait-to-step-on-that-floor-124548814.html

GSH
06-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Didnt want to open another thread but mentions Hanga and Joseph..

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/748396-nba-draft-recap-surprises-and-sleepers-of-the-2011-nba-draft

Good interview. These poor kids, trying to say all the right things, and worrying about what mines they might accidentally step on. Like: "And, um, I'm just gonna try to do whatever Pop... er Coach Popovich wants me to do."

One of the knocks on him as a freshman was that he seemed to lack confidence, and that he wasn't aggressive enough. So he wants to make sure and say that he's confident and up for the challenge. But he doesn't want to sound cocky. I'm glad I didn't have to try and do that when I was 19 years old.

I also liked when they asked what he knows about San Antonio, and the only thing he can think of is, "I know this is a great organization." I think he at least understands and appreciates where he is. That's a good start.

pgardn
06-26-2011, 11:33 PM
I'm sure a bunch of you guys can attest to things I can't as I don't watch much NCAAB, but this guy didn't have great college numbers...

Hamilton and Tristan Thompson did the bulk of the scoring and in the beginning to middle part of the season D.Balbay did most of the ball handling.

TJastal
06-27-2011, 02:33 AM
It's among the top 5 ST myths.

Tiago Splitter says hey, sup scrah?

FuzzyLumpkins
06-27-2011, 04:39 AM

Did Tiago sign late during the summer? Was Tiago hurt for most of TC and into the season? Did Tiago get more and more PT as the season continued? Are you mildly retarded?

ChumpDumper
06-27-2011, 04:41 AM
lol mildly

TJastal
06-27-2011, 04:48 AM
Did Tiago sign late during the summer? Was Tiago hurt for most of TC and into the season? Did Tiago get more and more PT as the season continued? Are you mildly retarded?

I see you still believe the myth that Tiago got more and more PT as the season progressed.

We can thank Chumpdumper for that one.

:lmao

ChumpDumper
06-27-2011, 04:50 AM
:lol

Do you see my posts in your dreams?

Mel_13
06-27-2011, 07:12 AM

Gary Neal says hey.