PDA

View Full Version : Rate the spurs draft night!

ffadicted
06-23-2011, 10:31 PM
11/10!!!!!, the hill for Anderson/Leonard roster shift for next year is great imo, and Bertans at 42 is a steal

I'm so pumpeeeeed :hat

ThePop
06-23-2011, 10:32 PM
????/10

Spurtacus
06-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Hey, we still got pick 59.

DesignatedT
06-23-2011, 10:33 PM
8/10.

Love the prospects for the future but pretty concerned about this upcoming season and how our FO is treating it. I don't think you have heard the last of the Spurs regarding trades and all that. Seems like this would just be the beginning.

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2011, 10:33 PM
A.

Time will tell if it deserves a higher rating.

benefactor
06-23-2011, 10:35 PM
B+

Love the Leonard/Hill trade but I'm not so sure about Joseph. Bertans is an amazing value at 42. I doubt anything they do at 59 changes this.

Chomag
06-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Great for a future but i'm not so sure about help for next season, and they lost a player that helps now for a future player. I'm kind of undecided about it right now

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2011, 10:37 PM
B+

Love the Leonard/Hill trade but I'm not so sure about Joseph. Bertans is an amazing value at 42. I doubt anything they do at 59 changes this.

It's really a Leonard+Anderson+Bertans for Hill trade. Which is a big A for the Spurs, considering Hill was going to be gone after this year anyway and considering Spurs have been needing defensive size on the wing for years (they get that with Anderson/Leonard).

And Spursfans shouldn't worry about Spurs missing Hill's offense, Neal and Anderson are more than capable of filling the void.

B+ from me overall. Would have liked Mack or Jenkins at the 29 over Joseph. But I'll give R.C the benefit of the doubt.

Spurtacus
06-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Great for a future but i'm not so sure about help for next season, and they lost a player that helps now for a future player. I'm kind of undecided about it right now

Leonard could help now. I think RJ is on his way out so Leonard/Butler will start at SF.

loveforthegame
06-23-2011, 10:41 PM
A.

The Spurs got younger, addressed some needs, and only had to give up Hill to get it done.

If nothing else, I think it's a good sign that the Spurs are being active. It does leave some question marks for the upcoming season but they obviously liked these guys and understood some changes needed to be made.

loveforthegame
Sorry, double post.

baseline bum
It could blow up in the Spurs' face if Anderson doesn't play well, but I liked what I saw with him last season and the Spurs had too many SGs. Overall, not a bad gamble to get Leonard though with Anderson and Neal there at the backup two.

L.I.T
06-23-2011, 10:42 PM
B+

Not sure about Joseph, but he seems to be a guy who can grow into a stout defensive PG. Really like the fact that the Spurs targeted defense in both 1st round moves. Bertans at 42nd has tons of upside.

I think, if the Spurs can get that big to come over, this becomes an A draft.

Really like the young guys that Spurs are lining up: James Anderson/Ryan Richards/Butler/Leonard/Joseph. A side-effect of this draft is that the Spurs are getting bigger at the SG/SF position.

benefactor
06-23-2011, 10:42 PM
It's really a Leonard+Anderson+Bertans for Hill trade. Which is a big A for the Spurs, considering Hill was going to be gone after this year anyway and considering Spurs have been needing defensive size on the wing for years (they get that with Anderson/Leonard). And Spursfans shouldn't worry about Spurs missing Hill's offense, Neal and Anderson are more than capable of filling the void.

A from me R.C :tu
The only reservation for me is Leonard's offensive game. He's got to develop some sort of respectable jump shot to stick...no matter how good his D are rebounding are. Here's to hoping he does.

Amarelooms
06-23-2011, 10:44 PM
C at best....now that Hill as gone Mavs will have no problems against ya'll

:elephant

Mugen
06-23-2011, 10:45 PM
a very solid :tu

would have been a :elephant if we managed to ship RJ out with Georgie.

ohmwrecker
06-23-2011, 10:46 PM
B+

ElNono
06-23-2011, 10:48 PM
A-

I thought they were active and received respectable value for Hill. The minus is because I'm not sure Corey was the best they could've picked at #29. Refreshing to see them pulling the trigger into moving higher in the draft and picking in the top 15.

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2011, 10:49 PM
The only reservation for me is Leonard's offensive game. He's got to develop some sort of respectable jump shot to stick...no matter how good his D are rebounding are. Here's to hoping he does.

He knows that, Spurs know that, and we know that. Chip will keep earning his salary with work on Splitter, Blair and Leonard this off-season.

Hopefully R.C and Pop have done enough research to realize the kid has the work-ethic and drive that is needed to improve on his weaknesses (which all rookies have). You just can't really teach a 6'7" frame and a 7'3" wingspan. Glad Spurs are going defensive on the wing.

jesterbobman
06-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Value Depends on what they do the rest of the offseason. I'm still unsure of the Frontcourt rotation, though I'd say RJ, Dyess, Blair are for sale, though the 1-2-3 rotation seems to fit better and have a SF, a SG and a PG both starting and on the bench, and then another 2(Anderson), or 3rd PG if Neal and Anderson play together, and a stashed SF.

Value was good (Steal of Leonard at 15 and Bertans and 42 outweighs reach to get Joseph), and they fit needs and system.

A.

Spursfanfromafar
06-23-2011, 11:00 PM
B

They lose Hill for unproven talent. Could have wrought out yet another NBA player from the Pacers in the deal (Josh McRoberts?) but didn't do that.

Otherwise drafting has been well done considering the weakness generally. Do not have too much hopes about Joseph or Bertans panning out, but Lorbek + Leonard seem to be in line for NBA squad membership.

jjktkk
06-23-2011, 11:00 PM
B+.

ddjeffries
06-23-2011, 11:02 PM
A- hill trade is genius for sure. not judging joseph until i see him.

Uriel
06-23-2011, 11:02 PM
B+

FaM0us Skins
06-23-2011, 11:05 PM
A

Spursnlego
B+ at best..

yavozerb
B+

Spurtacus
06-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Lets see. Traded Hill for Leonard/Joseph. Drafted a potential Dirk Lite in Bertans. And didn't trade Tony Parker away for shit. I would have preferred Singleton over Leonard and a big instead of Joseph.

Overall Grade: B

mexicanjunior
06-23-2011, 11:14 PM
B+

Liked the swap of Hill for Leonard and Bertans...Joseph was a ridiculous reach and will only make the Toros better in the foreseeable future. Should have drafted someone that could contribute sooner at that spot...Don't know anything about the Hungarian...

GSH
06-23-2011, 11:15 PM
My biggest complaint? We got rid of one "tweener" and drafted two more. I'm really down on guys who are "undersized for their position", and PG's who are "really more of a combo guard". It's not just the Spurs - those guys rarely work out really well for anybody. I keep hoping ours will, and I'll add these guys to the list. But I'd really love to see us get someone who is the "prototypical" <pick-a-position>.

Just like every year, I think you can safely give the Spurs a "?" for a grade.

justinandimcool
06-23-2011, 11:17 PM
solid B+ but call me back in 4 years so I can give us an A+ if we drafted the next Dirk in Bertans and Manu in Manga :lol

Good draft night for the Spurs.

Addressed our lack of athleticism and size at SF. Let's hope Kawhi can start. And if we can't get rid of RJ then let's hope he's decent on the bench. Hell let's hope James Anderson can be great and knock him completely out of the rotation.

Addressed our back up PG. Hopefully it's not Curtis Jerrells part 2 but they see something in Joseph to give him guaranteed money, so let's hope he's the easy answer to that problem.

Addressed our logjam at SG. Too much redundancy. Manu and Neal is all we need. If Green and Butler are good, that's even more SG's. George Hill just got too many minutes for someone who was too small to defend an elite team, terrible at ballhandling but fooled the world into thinking he was a PG http://forums.realgm.com/boards/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif, and lacked confidence when we needed him most. Hope he can reach his full potential back home in Indy.

We did not address getting a big, which was arguably the most important goal. So let's hope we can get that. I just don't know who we'll give up for it.

DesignatedT
06-23-2011, 11:19 PM
My biggest complaint? We got rid of one "tweener" and drafted two more. I'm really down on guys who are "undersized for their position", and PG's who are "really more of a combo guard". It's not just the Spurs - those guys rarely work out really well for anybody. I keep hoping ours will, and I'll add these guys to the list. But I'd really love to see us get someone who is the "prototypical" <pick-a-position>.

Just like every year, I think you can safely give the Spurs a "?" for a grade.

Leonard can and will be a true 3. He's an excellent rebounder for his size but that doesn't mean he will be playing post.

Spurtacus
06-23-2011, 11:30 PM
B+

Liked the swap of Hill for Leonard and Bertans...Joseph was a ridiculous reach and will only make the Toros better in the foreseeable future. Should have drafted someone that could contribute sooner at that spot...Don't know anything about the Hungarian...

They reached for Joseph because they knew Bertans would fall to them at 42. If the Hill trade didn't go through Bertans would have been taken at 29.

CGD
06-23-2011, 11:37 PM
Grade: A

ON HILL TRADE
- After missing on Batum & Casspi in previous drafts we FINALLY draft our long three.
- We address log jam at the 2 resulting from Neal's emergence.
- Confirms the Spurs are truly committed to Anderson.
- Anderson/Leonard will offset losing our best wing defender sooner than most think.
- The real steal may come yet, if we buyout Lorbek (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoWW_E5BRBU)

ON JOSEPH
- Great pick at 29: we HAD to get a (natural) back up PG.
- Not sure any big then available would have helped at 29.
- Having shown some handles, suspect Neal will start season at back-up PG but Joseph will get his shot.

mexicanjunior
06-23-2011, 11:42 PM
They reached for Joseph because they knew Bertans would fall to them at 42. If the Hill trade didn't go through Bertans would have been taken at 29.

Why reach at all? Could have gotten better backup PG's at 29 than Joseph...I guess they won't have to spend any money on relocation fees, he could drive down the street to play at the Cedar Park Center.

Spurtacus
06-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Why reach at all? Could have gotten better backup PG's at 29 than Joseph...I guess they won't have to spend any money on relocation fees, he could drive down the street to play at the Cedar Park Center.

They see something in Joseph they don't see in other PG. I think he may have been the best defensive PG left at that point.

Russ
06-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Considering the Spurs' position going into the draft and the weakness of the draft, an inspired performance.

An easy A.

mexicanjunior
06-23-2011, 11:50 PM
They see something in Joseph they don't see in other PG.

The red flag is NBA scouts and personnel didn't see the same thing...the guy was projected to be drafted well after the 42nd pick...if at all. I guess only time will tell but he just looks like practice fodder to me...

Spurtacus
06-23-2011, 11:53 PM
The red flag is NBA scouts and personnel didn't see the same thing...the guy was projected to be drafted well after the 42nd pick...if at all. I guess only time will tell but he just looks like practice fodder to me...

I agree. A few posts above I posted I would have preferred to see a big taken instead of Joseph. We could have found a backup PG in free agency.

objective
06-24-2011, 12:10 AM
I'll give it a B+

I think the trade is a classic win/win. I'm going to miss Hill, he was a big part of the rotation, had come up big against Dallas in 2010, and was a proven NBA player. But he was at his ceiling here, with other scorers on the roster like Neal and Hill's contract was coming due for a paltry qualifying offer that could have meant offers that the Spurs couldn't or wouldn't match. Indiana did very well tonight, but just because they did well doesn't mean the Spurs didn't also.

I'm happy with Leonard. I wanted Singleton and Mack, not Leonard and Joseph. But I didn't do as much research on the two the Spurs picked as I did on the former. I have high hopes for Leonard because anyone who is 6-7 or better and has a chance to play the SF is good news. My worry is that Leonard might be an undersized 4 masquerading as a SF whose combine results were poor (though he had excuses).

A radio host whose opinion I greatly respect really loved Leonard for the Spurs, and that pulls a lot of weight with me.

Leonard could bust, but at least the Spurs recognized their situation with Hill and were able to make a move before contract shortness hamstrung them. The next CBA's rules on sign-&-trades could also have really hurt them if they went that route. They found a player they liked who filled a role on paper as a lengthy three, and they got him. That's good enough.

Bertans and Hanga . . . fine with me, I have no strong opinion either way. I'm just glad they didn't run into a McClintock situation of an American in the 2nd who thought he was too good to go to Europe for a year.

SenorSpur
06-24-2011, 12:22 AM
I like the Spurs flipping a young asset like George Hill, into the best young SF in the draft, in Kawahi Leonard. As much as I credit the Spurs for pulling off this unlikely trade, it's really unfortunate for them that they were not able to shore up their most glaring need - a PF. I have to believe that the Spurs were eyeing PF JaJuan Johnson at pick #29. He presented the most value on the board, at that selection, and simply made the most sense - that is until Nets GM Billy King and the Lil General stepped in and ruined the night.

I have to say that nabbing yet another combo guard, Cory Joseph, with their first round pick #29 was a bit of a downer. The summary I read on him was not enticing at all. After shipping out Hill, a luxury player for this team, the last thing they needed was yet another combo guard. However, I have to believe they considered him the best player available at that pick.

Meanwhile, the PF position, the most glaring need heading into the draft, is still showing a gaping hole.

B-

GSH
06-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Leonard can and will be a true 3. He's an excellent rebounder for his size but that doesn't mean he will be playing post.

I know he won't be playing post - the "undersized" reference was about Blair. I'm saying that he is known as a "hybrid" kind of player, without any real signature strengths. The NBA is about mis-matches, and having one of those stand-out areas is a big advantage over being pretty good in a lot of areas.

Leonard is a small forward, but without small forward's offensive game. They talk about him being able to defend multiple positions, but if he's defending shooters he won't be getting many of those rebounds. Does he have the size and strength to defend non-scrub 4's? The scouting reports say he doesn't have exceptional lateral movement, which is a nice thing for a 3. And one of his best scoring moves was down low, playing with his back to the basket. That's not happening at the next level.

I'm not putting the guy down. I just meant what I said, that I'm personally down on combo players anywhere in the league. I would rather see players who play one position, and have the size/skill set for that position. (A 6'6" PG sounded like a good idea, but that didn't work out too well, either.) I'm just tired of seeing "combo" and "hybrid" players who don't really excel at anything. This guy will be a 3, but it doesn't look like he will be your typical 3 , by any stretch. But hey, maybe he will be the reincarnation of Bruce Bowen on the defensive end. I feel good that the Spurs liked him enough to trade up that high for him.

Death In June
06-24-2011, 12:25 AM
C-

joshdaboss
06-24-2011, 12:31 AM
What a bunch of dumbasses. F-minus.

crc21209
06-24-2011, 12:33 AM
I like the Spurs flipping a young asset like George Hill, into the best young SF in the draft, in Kawahi Leonard. As much as I credit the Spurs for pulling off this unlikely trade, it's really unfortunate for them that they were not able to shore up their most glaring need - a PF. I have to believe that the Spurs were eyeing PF JaJuan Johnson at pick #29. He presented the most value on the board, at that selection, and simply made the most sense - that is until Nets GM Billy King and the Lil General stepped in and ruined the night.

I have to say that nabbing yet another combo guard, Cory Joseph, with their first round pick #29 was a bit of a downer. The summary I read on him was not enticing at all. After shipping out Hill, a luxury player for this team, the last thing they needed was yet another combo guard. However, I have to believe they considered him the best player available at that pick.

Meanwhile, the PF position, the most glaring need heading into the draft, is still showing a gaping hole.

B-

+1. I think if somehow the Spurs can land Nene and put him next to TD and Splitter, we will be just fine.

ducks
b+

crc21209
What a bunch of dumbasses. F-minus.

:lol

HankChinaski
06-24-2011, 12:34 AM
I don't think they want to fill are biggest hole in the front court in the draft with what was available at 29. I believe (hopefully) that this particular hole is something that the rest of the off season is going to be all about.

Also gives an impression of what they may actually evaluate prospects like Richards into consideration for making into the rotation. That's a bit of a stretch though.

With a off season trade or signing for a big to fill out our front court then you can call this off season a A+ for sure in regards in staying in contention talks and rebuilding the roster depth with more potential talent and youth/athleticism.

Solid D
06-24-2011, 12:38 AM
It's too difficult to rate this draft. These players are all young with Hanga being the oldest. Can anyone rate last year's draft picks of James Anderson or Eliot(purposely misspelled) Williams or Epke Udoh? Stuff happens.

I'm pleased with the draft and the future of these picks. Leonard was a lottery slotted talent projected anywhere from 6-15. He's got greater wingspan (7'3") than say Jordan Hamilton, Chris Singleton, Marcus Morris or even Derrick Williams. Spurs fans have been wanting a long 3 who can defend and although he's a not a 6'10" shooter, he is a good defender, terrific rebounder and an energy player who can contest shots and deflect passes.

The Spurs staff should have had plenty of opportunities to get to know Cory Joseph. He has some special qualities about him and he's a coach's kid. He should have stayed another year at UT to improve his PG skills but he can play.

Bertans and Adam Hanga looked good in the videos I've seen but I have never seen these players play...so I will limit my opinions and take a "wait and see" approach.

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2011, 12:38 AM
man i was hoping we grab one of the pacers bigs, or granger!!!

Biggems
06-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Lets see. Traded Hill for Leonard/Joseph. Drafted a potential Dirk Lite in Bertans. And didn't trade Tony Parker away for shit. I would have preferred Singleton over Leonard and a big instead of Joseph.

Overall Grade: B

Actually, Hill was traded for Leonard, Bertans, and Lorbek. Joseph and that guy from Hungary were drafted by the Spurs.

I am happy with the draft....though I was hoping for malcolm thomas at 59. Leonard and Thomas would have given us 2 long wing defenders.

Mr. Body
06-24-2011, 12:41 AM
A-

Turning George Hill into Kawhi Leonard, especially after many of the suspect scenarios mentioned lately, was excellent. Leonard is the type of player we've desperately needed since Bruce left. His tools are excellent and his gym rat, workaholic character is exceptional.

Getting the #42 from Indiana was a great add.

I feel they pulled Joseph earlier than they wanted because Nolan Smith and Reggie Jackson were off the board. They stood to see him gone by #42, so had to hope Bertans fell.

This worked out perfectly. Not sure Joseph will pan out -- I do think he's unfairly maligned; his tools are very good and he's young -- but they managed who many thought was their #29 pick after all.

Bertans and Hanga, not to mention Lorbek, are gravy.

All in all I felt it turned out to be a superb draft. Better than last year, IMO.

ElNono
06-24-2011, 12:42 AM
It's too difficult to rate this draft. These players are all young with Hanga being the oldest. Can anyone rate last year's draft picks of James Anderson or Eliot(purposely misspelled) Williams or Epke Udoh? Stuff happens.

I'm pleased with the draft and the future of these picks. Leonard was a lottery slotted talent projected anywhere from 6-15. He's got greater wingspan (7'3") than say Jordan Hamilton, Chris Singleton, Marcus Morris or even Derrick Williams. Spurs fans have been wanting a long 3 who can defend and although he's a not a 6'10" shooter, he is a good defender, terrific rebounder and an energy player who can contest shots and deflect passes.

The Spurs staff should have had plenty of opportunities to get to know Cory Joseph. He has some special qualities about him and he's a coach's kid. He should have stayed another year at UT to improve his PG skills but he can play.

Bertans and Adam Hanga looked good in the videos I've seen but I have never seen these players play...so I will limit my opinions and take a "wait and see" approach.

And then there's the longshot of convincing Lorbek to come over.

Mr. Body
06-24-2011, 12:44 AM
Forgot to add: Kawhi Leonard is a ridiculous rebounder.

Solid D
06-24-2011, 12:47 AM
If the Spurs had taken Bertans at 29 (as was rumored) and Joseph at 42, more people would have felt good about the picks, I'm sure. But then the Spurs possibly would have been stuck guaranteeing whatever salary the new CBA set for an 18 year old that isn't ready for the NBA. At least Cory Joseph lined up against the likes of Kemba Walker, Derrick Williams, and many other major college competition...and performed quite well for a Freshman.

Mr. Body
06-24-2011, 12:51 AM
If the Spurs had taken Bertans at 29 (as was rumored) and Joseph at 42, more people would have felt good about the picks, I'm sure. But then the Spurs possibly would have been stuck guaranteeing whatever salary the new CBA set for an 18 year old that isn't ready for the NBA. At least Cory Joseph lined up against the likes of Kemba Walker, Derrick Williams, and many other major college competition...and performed quite well for a Freshman.

Agree. As I've said, with other PGs off the board earlier than expected (Smith, Williams), the Spurs might have felt they needed to go for him sooner. And you're right, Bertans not being on the rookie scale gives them flexibility with him.

Cessation
06-24-2011, 01:21 AM
I'd give it a B, at the very least. Trading an undersized sg, which spurs have a ton of, for a lottery pick defencive sf with great length, where spurs have had a weakness since bowen left, is a great idea. Neal has been much more consistent than hill anyway. Almost matching his production, while being clutch and playing less minutes

hill 11 ppg 29 min 45fg% 38 3pt%
neal 10 ppg 20 min 45fg% 42 3pt%

Bill_Brasky
06-24-2011, 01:24 AM
REALLY wanted JaJuan Johnson at 29, but I'm OK with everything else...

CGD
06-24-2011, 01:42 AM
After the Splitter buyout mess, I'm glad they took Bertan's in the second round as opposed to the first. Recall that under the current structure (though this may change under the new CBA), it's actually easier to structure deals for 2nd rounders (including buyouts) than it is for first rounders. Bertan's looks very promising.

mavsfan1000
06-24-2011, 03:34 AM
lol Spurs losing Hill. No idea what they were thinking. But Mavs can fear the Spurs a little less now. ;)

objective
06-24-2011, 04:06 AM
I get more happy about Leonard the more I see written and said about him about how he's 'relentless' or has a 'killer motor'.

That would be a breath of fresh air compared to Jefferson. Jefferson is all about 'contentment' and has a 'gas leak'.

Buddy Holly
06-24-2011, 04:10 AM
lol Spurs losing Hill. No idea what they were thinking. But Mavs can fear the Spurs a little less now. ;)

lol Mavs fans hyping the shit out of roddy. No idea what they were thinking.

Spurs have won three titles mainly through the draft. They know wtf they're doing.

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2011, 04:21 AM
lol Mavs fans hyping the shit out of roddy. No idea what they were thinking.

Spurs have won three titles mainly through the draft. They know wtf they're doing.

its a question of what have you done for me lately, still living on pass accomplishments and reputation....so what has the spurs done since their last championship? lol small ball

Buddy Holly
06-24-2011, 04:29 AM
its a question of what have you done for me lately, still living on pass accomplishments and reputation....so what has the spurs done since their last championship? lol small ball

Drafted Splitter, Hill, Blair, Anderson.

We didn't draft Bonner and Jefferson.

rascal
06-24-2011, 04:49 AM
Lateral moves. None of the players coming in are big enough difference makers and the frontline is still the same. Bonner and Jefferson will still be getting minutes.

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2011, 05:01 AM
still no big to replace dice

but im expecting huge things from splitter for his 2nd season

is that englishman coming over?

ChumpDumper
06-24-2011, 05:05 AM
Just relax. It's going to be a long offseason.

DrSteffo
06-24-2011, 05:11 AM
A-

velik_m
06-24-2011, 05:24 AM
I think the spurs did good. It's hard to say how the players will turn out, but i think they got a good mix of players ready to contribute now and players that are good prospects for the future. But it's still a long off-season before us and this year it might be even longer one (lockout). We'll see how things play out.

Spurs da champs
06-24-2011, 05:43 AM
If we can get rid of RJ then A+ for me!

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2011, 05:46 AM
the only t hing i can say if you look back at the last few seasons picks, we either:

drafted someone who was the best in europe at their position or skill set we looking at

drafted some player who was projected to be a top lottery pick but fell down in the rankings

drafted a player base on need of the team

what we never drafted was a player that was nba ready to come and contribute the get go

ChumpDumper
06-24-2011, 05:49 AM
What do you expect with such draft position?

Fireball
06-24-2011, 05:50 AM
Just relax. It's going to be a long offseason.

Hopefully not a lockout ...

I am not able to grade this draft night, but I have faith the FO made the right picks - just from reading all gathered information I like Leonard and Bertans - Joseph leaves me unexcited.

Lets see which BIG the Spurs target ...

I will miss George!

Fireball
06-24-2011, 05:51 AM
what we never drafted was a player that was nba ready to come and contribute the get go

James Anderson looked NBA ready to me before he got injured after 10 games ...

Darkwaters
06-24-2011, 06:48 AM
the only t hing i can say if you look back at the last few seasons picks, we either:

drafted someone who was the best in europe at their position or skill set we looking at

drafted some player who was projected to be a top lottery pick but fell down in the rankings

drafted a player base on need of the team

I totally agree. We need to get back to basics. The last time the Spurs made a huge stride forward was when they won the lottery, got the number 1 pick, and drafted Duncan. WTF is the front office doing to get us back there?! We seriously need to look at teams like the Clippers and Timberwolves and do what they do. Year in and year out those teams have success getting back to number one....on the draft board.

[/sarcasm]

06-24-2011, 07:21 AM
Spurs ended up getting some good value out of hill. I agree with the spurs trading him because hill hasn't shown much signs of improvement and will be getting up there in age soon. Hill's lack of pg skills made him expendable. Spurs need a true backup pg. I don't know how much these rookies will help. James Anderson is pretty much a rookie also. But I think hill had pretty much reached his potential on the spurs so the trade is justified even if it is a lateral move in the short term. Spurs still need a big though obviously.

Jace
06-24-2011, 07:24 AM
I totally agree. We need to get back to basics. The last time the Spurs made a huge stride forward was when they won the lottery, got the number 1 pick, and drafted Duncan. WTF is the front office doing to get us back there?! We seriously need to look at teams like the Clippers and Timberwolves and do what they do. Year in and year out those teams have success getting back to number one....on the draft board.

[/sarcasm]

You mock, but it is sort of true...if your goal is to win championships in the next 10 years, your first move needs to be converting Duncan/Ginobli/Parker into draft picks

06-24-2011, 07:29 AM
I'll miss hill. He always had a knack for showing up against big opponents like the lakers and mavs.

Bruno
06-24-2011, 07:42 AM
I'm going with a B.

Trading Hill was the right thing to do. He is a nice player but at the end he lacks skills to play PG and is too short to play SG. Add to that a new contract in one year and trading him was the right think to do. Spurs get a great value in him with 15th, 42nd and Lorbek.

Kawhi Leonard at #15 looks like a good value. Spurs were weak at SF with a disappointing RJ and no quality backup.

Cory Joseph was a surprise at #29 but I won't judge Spurs ability to draft PG with a late first round pick while they drafted Parker and Hill.

Bertans at #42 is a damn nice pick. He is a very talented player with a high upside. In 2 or 3 years, this may look as a steal.

I was hopping for Rabaseda at #59 but it was only because I have never seen played Hanga. Hanga played well at a low level in europe. Let's see what he will do at a higher level. Nevertheless, it's a good pick at #59.

Lorbek is a very nice little bonus of the Hill trade. He is one of the best player in Europe. If he wants to come one day in NBA, he could help Spurs.

On the downsize, Spurs made good moves but these moves won't significantly help them in the sort term. 2 19 years old rookies and 3 players who will stay overseas shouldn't have an impact for 2011-2012. Another negative point is that Spurs have a huge problem at PF/C and Spurs have done nothing to solve it yesterday. A good draft for Spurs but it should be followed by some trades and/or FA signings.

bigfan
06-24-2011, 07:47 AM
I'm going with a B.

Trading Hill was the right thing to do. He is a nice player but at the end he lacks skills to play PG and is too short to play SG. Add to that a new contract in one year and trading him was the right think to do. Spurs get a great value in him with 15th, 42nd and Lorbek.

Kawhi Leonard at #15 looks like a good value. Spurs were weak at SF with a disappointing RJ and no quality backup.

Cory Joseph was a surprise at #29 but I won't judge Spurs ability to draft PG with a late first round pick while they drafted Parker and Hill.

Bertans at #42 is a damn nice pick. He is a very talented player with a high upside. In 2 or 3 years, this may look as a steal.

I was hopping for Rabaseda at #59 but it was only because I have never seen played Hanga. Hanga played well at a low level in europe. Let's see what he will do at a higher level. Nevertheless, it's a good pick at #59.

Lorbek is a very nice little bonus of the Hill trade. He is one of the best player in Europe. If he wants to come one day in NBA, he could help Spurs.

On the downsize, Spurs made good moves but these moves won't significantly help them in the sort term. 2 19 years old rookies and 3 players who will stay overseas shouldn't have an impact for 2011-2012. Another negative point is that Spurs have a huge problem at PF/C and Spurs have done nothing to solve it yesterday. A good draft for Spurs but it should be followed by some trades and/or FA signings.

Good evaluation.

dbestpro
06-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Excellent draft for the future. Some complain these guys won't help next season. Actually, they might seeing how next season may not begin until 2012 or 2013.

will_spurs
06-24-2011, 08:02 AM

Seeing as RC said in the post-draft interview that Joseph was their target at 29 from the start, I'm pretty sure the Spurs do see something in him that others don't. Given the Spurs FO history of drafting well, I'd tend to say RC is right and the rest of the scouts are wrong. Time will tell, in any case.

I liked the fact the Spurs finally got a long, defensive-minded 3. I don't care if he can't shoot. I care if he can defend. Bowen wasn't a stellar shooter, he was good from behind the 3pt line (40% or so), incidentally he was shooting the same from 2pt or 3pt range, he averaged 8 ppg... Bowen contributed, but he wasn't an offensive force. And nobody cared.

One thing to remember about Leonard is that he was probably miscast with SD, having to shoulder a lot more of the offensive burden than he will with the Spurs. The stats show he was a bad shooter, but I don't think he was shooting a lot of wide open corner 3s. The Spurs have a lot of other offensive weapons, it doesn't really matter.

What I'm still wondering about is why Leonard over Singleton. That's also something the scouts disagree with in general. Again, the Spurs have seen something and I trust them.

I'm honestly not worried about the draft or willing to double-guess the FO choices given their long, successful history in this matter.

What I'm afraid of is that Leonard will not get any PT because that wouldn't be fair to the team, or some comparable nonsense.

Actually the best that could happen for the Spurs at this stage would be a lockout until the very first game of the season (like in 95). That would mean no summer league, no training camp, therefore no injuries over the summer, and Pop couldn't hold against nobody that they missed a couple of days of training camp.

Russ
06-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Look at it this way -- going into the draft, most would have been satisfied if the Spurs just got Bertans or Milotic at 29, and called it as day, period.

Instead, they got a guy many mock drafts rated as high as the #6 pick, and Bertans (in a more favorable draft slot than 29), and a Euro at 59 who will likely be better than De Colo or Richards ever will and then Cory Joseph (who may have been a reach, but looks awful good when viewed as just another piece to this draftday puzzle). The fact that Joseph got as much time as a freshman on that talented Texas team seems significant. For such a young player, he has a steadiness and deliberateness (vs explosiveness) about him that the Spurs seem to like at the point. Who knows, next year (taking on more of the load at UT) he might have been a lottery pick.

hater
06-24-2011, 08:45 AM
If you wanted TD to retire with a bang. D. plain and simple.

If you wanna rebuild. B.

txstr1986
06-24-2011, 08:56 AM
B+

Agree. The trade was great - I think Leonard will be a very productive player (the guy was a steal at #15). Joseph seemed to be a bit of a reach to me, but maybe RC sees something. I had a WTF reaction when Hill was drafted a few years ago (granted, I had never seen Hill play and I think we've all seen Joseph play at least a few games at UT). Bertans is a steal at 42 - watch his tape, it is earily similar to the Nowitski tapes when he was that age...

sribb43
06-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Short term FAIL...Long term TBD

C+

temujin
06-24-2011, 09:16 AM
If they can sign Lorbek, it's a 7 (on a scale from 1 to 10).

If they can't, it's a 3.

Hill was a steal: 3 years into his development as a 12 ppg, 28' combo guard in a top rank NBA franchise, all the Spurs could get was a 6'7 prospect forward??

Pretty darn bad, I would say.

GrandeDavid
06-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Although I like George Hill as a man and ballplayer, I think that this is a shrewd cap move and good on court move. I like this SDSU guy a lot, not to mention Bertans down the road.

Mr. Body
06-24-2011, 09:30 AM
What I'm still wondering about is why Leonard over Singleton. That's also something the scouts disagree with in general. Again, the Spurs have seen something and I trust them.

I want to look closer at the two of them, myself. Singleton averaged like 2 steals and 1.5 blocks a game, which is filthy. I suspect, but don't know Singleton at all really, that Leonard's exceptional intangibles and gym-loving personality pushed him well ahead. Singleton may be even worse a general scorer -- Leonard looks like he can significantly improve there, anyway.

Kawhi has the physical size (plus arms) to go into a stretch-4 situation, while Singleton does not. Kawhi stands a much better chance of slowing down Nowitzki a little (8'10" standing reach).

Kawhi is an absolutely disgusting rebounder for his position. Singleton is good, but not at the same level.

Mr. Body
06-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Look at it this way -- going into the draft, most would have been satisfied if the Spurs just got Bertans or Milotic at 29, and called it as day, period.

Exactly. Given their draft position and assets, the Spurs came away with spun gold. A.

Agloco
06-24-2011, 09:54 AM
The red flag is NBA scouts and personnel didn't see the same thing...

They often don't, and that's the point. It's the reason Parker and Ginobili are on the roster. Disagree with it being a red flag.

admiralsnackbar
06-24-2011, 09:57 AM
If they can sign Lorbek, it's a 7 (on a scale from 1 to 10).

If they can't, it's a 3.

Hill was a steal: 3 years into his development as a 12 ppg, 28' combo guard in a top rank NBA franchise, all the Spurs could get was a 6'7 prospect forward??

Pretty darn bad, I would say.

You're leaving out:
1)Bertans;
2)the fact that Hill is redundant with Manu, Anderson, and Neal on the team, and;
3)the fact that Hill would be up for a more expensive contract at the end of the season.

All things considered, it was a pretty good draft IMO. And a lot of intriguing players were left undrafted, which will make for a competitive training camp if we can bring them in.

antgomez2009
06-24-2011, 10:27 AM
A (time will tell on the +) but good moves by the spurs...Anderson/neal will pick up the scoring slack....im sure the spurs will get a C/PF or veteran back up PG to fill in their needs.....Leonard will play solid D...Joseph will blossom into a solid player for POP.

Budkin
06-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Getting Bertans moved us from a B to an A.

k_nguyen93
06-24-2011, 11:47 AM
People need to understand the business aspect of the NBA. A lot of teams will keep their young guys around without accounting for the fact that they can't pay them in the future. Look at Celtics last year, yes they weren't as "tough" without Perkins but do you really think he was worth $9mil to a team that was going to have to rebuild at some point?

Depending on how many minutes Hill gets, he might actually improve unlike this past year when he averaged virtually the same stats. Even then its not a bad move for the Spurs because 1, there might not be a mid level exception in the new CBA so how could they have afforded to pay him? Yes Tim comes off the books, but wouldn't you want that money for something else? A team like San Antonio is built to win every year, they can't afford to have young guys like Hill playing 40+ minutes if it hurts the team's record. Assuming he gets those types of minutes with the Pacers and improves, people still need to remember that the same couldn't have happened here.

Muser
06-24-2011, 11:51 AM
I'll wait until I see the guys play next year but I like the trade. From what i've seen on youtube Bertans is damn athletic but a streaky shooter.

wildbill2u
06-24-2011, 12:17 PM
You mock, but it is sort of true...if your goal is to win championships in the next 10 years, your first move needs to be converting Duncan/Ginobli/Parker into draft picks

Blowing up the team and accepting a few years as a cellar dweller is a strategy that no team has tried that I can remember. Your theory is flawed for several reasons.

The main reason is money. You'd generally wind up losing attendance at a rate that would force the team to be sold or moved elsewhere. You have to have a team on the floor that will generate enough entertainment value (wins) to make the fans want to pay to see them. Oklahoma got a high draft pick after the team had several bad years in Seattle--but they left Seattle

And simply being in the cellar with high draft picks doesn't always work out--ask the Clippers, Golden State, Milwaukee, etc, all perennial losers with high draft picks. What have they done?

Because sometimes you get a Gred Oden situation or the lottery picks want to leave as soon as they can get out of a small market into the bright lights of a NY, LA or Chicago. Can you spell Bosh and King James?

This FO has consistently done more with low draft picks than any team in the NBA and the runners up are team that have ex-Spur trained GMs.

This draft was at least an A-, considering our draft position, and could wind up being better than that if Cory Joseph at age 19 can develop as hoped in the future.

wildbill2u
06-24-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm going with a B.

Yeah, Bruno, but look at the upside possibilities for C/PF. We have Splitter and TD. Blair can split some time based on matchups. What if Ryan comes in as a rookie and can play somewhere behind them? I think you are right about the Spurs shoring up the front line via FA. The Spurs always seem to find at least one serviceable old vet to backup C/PF in FA such as Dice or Kevin or Ratliff who they can entice to end his career here. Those kinds of backup guys aren't that hard to find.

Maybe we are all underestimating the FO commitment to a straegy to stock up on some youth for the future of the franchise. Throw enough of these guys--Anderson, Blair, Neal, Splitter, Joseph, Bertans, Ryan, Butler, Green-- into the mix and we'll come up with some players who can make it.

The problem will be finding the future all-stars like Manu and Parker with low draft picks. We will likely never get another Tim because the franchise always wants to win enough games to make the fans turn out and that means low draft picks.

ogait
06-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Short term FAIL...Long term TBD

C+

Pretty much this.

Spurtacus
06-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Was there really a player the Spurs could have picked at 29 that would have had an immediate impact as a rookie? Any big they drafted, say JaJuan Johnson, Jeremy Tyler, Keith Benson...would be a project. There was a logjam at SG. Hill's loss is offset by more playing time for Neal and Anderson. At worse the Spurs break even in production. But now the Spurs picked up the SF they needed since Bowen retired. Leonard could step right in and play 20 minutes a game as a rookie. Saying what the Spurs did was a "short term fail" is failing to understand the current Spurs roster.

Mr. Body
06-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Saying what the Spurs did was a "short term fail" is failing to understand the current Spurs roster.

I don't get it either. Halfway through the next season, nobody will really remember George Hill much. Fondly, yes, but not missed too much.

ohmwrecker
06-24-2011, 12:53 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5322403&postcount=428

jjktkk
06-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Was there really a player the Spurs could have picked at 29 that would have had an immediate impact as a rookie? Any big they drafted, say JaJuan Johnson, Jeremy Tyler, Keith Benson...would be a project. There was a logjam at SG. Hill's loss is offset by more playing time for Neal and Anderson. At worse the Spurs break even in production. But now the Spurs picked up the SF they needed since Bowen retired. Leonard could step right in and play 20 minutes a game as a rookie. Saying what the Spurs did was a "short term fail" is failing to understand the current Spurs roster.

Scribbs predictions suck. He predicted downstairs, that the Mavs organization was clueless and wouldn't contend for a championship.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176326

Bruno
06-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Yeah, Bruno, but look at the upside possibilities for C/PF. We have Splitter and TD. Blair can split some time based on matchups. What if Ryan comes in as a rookie and can play somewhere behind them? I think you are right about the Spurs shoring up the front line via FA. The Spurs always seem to find at least one serviceable old vet to backup C/PF in FA such as Dice or Kevin or Ratliff who they can entice to end his career here. Those kinds of backup guys aren't that hard to find.

Richards is so young and raw that it's hard to think he will have some kind of impact next year. He will likely spend most of the year in Austin with the Toros.

TD, Splitter, Blair, Bonner and a cheap vet isn't good enough. Spurs should have 3 quality bigmen on their roster. TD is one of them and I'm convinced Splitter can be a quality PF/C. The third good PF/C should come from trade or FA.

ChumpDumper
06-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Was there really a player the Spurs could have picked at 29 that would have had an immediate impact as a rookie? Any big they drafted, say JaJuan Johnson, Jeremy Tyler, Keith Benson...would be a project. There was a logjam at SG. Hill's loss is offset by more playing time for Neal and Anderson. At worse the Spurs break even in production. But now the Spurs picked up the SF they needed since Bowen retired. Leonard could step right in and play 20 minutes a game as a rookie. Saying what the Spurs did was a "short term fail" is failing to understand the current Spurs roster.Agree for the most part. It was a shitty draft, so you basically had to get to the lottery level to find someone who could contribute immediately. The Spurs did that, and got the kind of player they had been lacking for years to boot.

The other picks pretty much had to be rolls of the dice on super young players. I guess they could have traded out of the rest of the draft, but Bertrans looks like he has a lot of potential and #59 is #59.

The rest has to be done with trades and free agent signings. Too many people seem to be judging the draft as all the Spurs are going to do the entire offseason.

Spurs Brazil
06-24-2011, 04:37 PM
B

Now we need a big and a veteran PG in FA

MR.SILVER&BLack
06-24-2011, 06:55 PM
everyone calm down. the draft is just the beginning of the offseason. im pretty sure we will see another trade. look at hom much rc tried to move rj. even if teams are not willing to take rj straight up we could see the spurs in a 3 or 4 team trade. but so far a solid B+. we got rid of an undersized combo guard and filled a big hole at SF. i trust that joseph will pan out to be a solid backup in a few years.not to mention having one of the best euro players and a great young talent stashed for the future( dont know anything about the dude from hungary).

wildbill2u
06-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Rating of draft from Ball Don't Lie on Yahoo Sports:

Additions: Kawhi Leonard, Cory Joseph, Davis Bertans, Adam Hanga.
Grade: B+
Don't give the Spurs too much credit for taking chances with trading George Hill, because while Hill is a nice player, it's not as if they gave up a starter, here. You wouldn't want Hill starting on your team, though as a third or fourth guard he's a wonderful guy to have around.
Joseph won't replace Hill, and Leonard has his offensive issues, but this isn't a bad take. I'm just not going to fawn over it. I'm having a hard time seeing Leonard as someone to rely on for extended bench minutes next season, though as always I'd really love to be proven wrong in this instance.
Considering the assets that San Antonio entered this draft with, this is a sound four-man take. And Hanga looks like a potential star in some of his highlights.

rascal
06-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Getting Bertans moved us from a B to an A.

Isn't Bertans game much like Ryan Richards game?

BackHome
06-24-2011, 08:19 PM
I loved the fact that the Spurs finally had the balls to do a trade on draft night. I will miss Hill but to trade him for the 15 pick and a second rounder while still keeping our first and second round is pretty darn good. So I would go with a A-.....

I am happy that we finally got our SF and to be realistic there were no bigs that could help us in this years draft. The only thing that I didn't like was passing on Darrious Morris at PG I think he is going to be really good.

It is going to be a long summer so lets hope that RJ and Bonner are traded. But as far as having a season it looks like the NBA Union is following the NFL Union...:(:bang

TJastal
06-25-2011, 06:40 AM
Joseph may be good down the line, but now he is just fodder for Pop's doghouse.

Spurs should have gotten Singleton with that #15.. that one is gonna bite them in the ass..

C-

Spurs da champs
06-25-2011, 08:37 AM
Leonard can be like Gerald Wallace and I do think Joseph is gonna surprise many if given the chance to play.