PDA

View Full Version : Hollinger: Spurs among draft winners (Insider)

Buddy Holly
06-24-2011, 02:51 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=draftbreakdown-110624&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fdraft2011%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumni st%3dhollinger_john%26page%3ddraftbreakdown-110624

Anyone have it?

joshdaboss
06-24-2011, 03:07 AM
Maybe if you weren't living off of the government, and smoking meth, you could pay the $2/year to have access to it.

sehui
06-24-2011, 03:13 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=draftbreakdown-110624&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fdraft2011%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumni st%3dhollinger_john%26page%3ddraftbreakdown-110624

Anyone have it?

I'd like to see it as well.

@Josh:

Meth is a hell of a drug.

ChumpDumper
06-24-2011, 03:14 AM
Maybe if you weren't living off of the government, and smoking meth, you could pay the $2/year to have access to it.Hey, you're wrong about how much it costs too.

joshdaboss
06-24-2011, 03:15 AM
Hey, you're wrong about how much it costs too.

Could have sworn I got a subscription for 3 years @ $5.99.

ChumpDumper
06-24-2011, 03:16 AM
Should probably stop swearing tbh.

joshdaboss
06-24-2011, 03:17 AM
Should probably stop swearing tbh.

I do what I want, tbh.

ElNono
Could have sworn I got a subscription for 3 years @ $5.99.

What happened? Did the subscription part ways with you?

Vic Petro
You want to know why the Spurs win 50 or more games every year and always have their cap situation under control, while the rest of the league scrambles and flails around them? Check out tonight's draft for a good example.

In a stellar trade that showed how they're always a step ahead of everyone else, the Spurs sent guard George Hill to Indiana for the rights to the 15th pick (Kawhi Leonard), the rights to the 42nd pick (Davis Bertans), and the rights to European Erazem Lorbek.

On paper, trading an established rotation player for the 15th pick in a weak draft seems like a reckless gamble, but there's a key difference between George Hill and Kawhi Leonard: their paychecks.

Hill will be a restricted free agent after the coming season, and the Spurs looked at their books and made a decision that they couldn't pay two point guards (Hill and the equally widely shopped Tony Parker) -- especially while they were also paying Manu Ginobili, Tim Duncan and Richard Jefferson and looking at a more restrictive post-lockout salary cap environment.

Leonard, meanwhile, will be on a rookie contract for the next four years, providing the Spurs with a very reasonably paid but (likely) productive player to offset the millions they're paying declining assets like Duncan.

So Hill goes now, before the Spurs have any drama over whether to extend him or risk losing him in restricted free agency next summer. San Antonio keeps its cap situation somewhat under control, and can plug James Anderson, Gary Neal, rookie Cory Joseph and whatever veteran backup point guard they sign into Hill's former minutes without losing much in the backcourt.

Meanwhile, Leonard fills a more glaring need -- a combo forward who can help them match up when opponents go small. This has been an Achilles heel of the Spurs for years, and presuming Leonard can play, he solves the problem. While he's not the classic San Antonio corner-3 shooting small forward of yore, the Spurs needed a young energizer like this.

So yes, it's a great deal for San Antonio, and it illustrates how the Spurs have stayed on top of the standings for more than a decade by staying two steps ahead of the competition. Just to emphasize that point, the Spurs also got a second-round pick in the deal and used it to nab Latvian sharpshooter Davis Bertans, who is totally unready now but likely will prove a steal when he decides to come over in a few years.

But, I should point out, Indiana didn't fare badly either. The Pacers converted a trade exception from the Troy Murphy deal into a big combo guard who will help fill the rotation -- he'll back up Darren Collison at the point and play a lot of 2, where Mike Dunleavy is a free agent and Brandon Rush is trade bait.

Meanwhile, his arrival doesn't mess up Indiana's financial plans -- they can afford to pay Hill and he'll likely want to stay since he's from Indianapolis. And since he only counts $2 million this year against their current hoard of cap space, his arrival won't cost the Pacers anything in free agency.

It's a good example of two teams using the system to their advantage, but for me it's especially illustrative of how San Antonio has played the cap-management game so much better than most of its rivals over the past decade.

joshdaboss
06-24-2011, 03:18 AM

That was a fail, tbh.

ChumpDumper
06-24-2011, 03:18 AM

:rollin

ElNono
06-24-2011, 03:22 AM
Thanks Vic.

sehui
06-24-2011, 03:26 AM
Thanks bud! Always nice to hear an "expert" repeat what we've talked about here, :P

Buddy Holly
06-24-2011, 03:29 AM
Maybe if you weren't living off of the government, and smoking meth, you could pay the $2/year to have access to it.

Meth? :lol

At least you're original.

Ditty
06-24-2011, 03:37 AM
I got a question...Do the Spurs get a trade exception for Hill?

ChumpDumper
06-24-2011, 03:39 AM
I got a question...Do the Spurs get a trade exception for Hill?Yes.

Russo21
06-24-2011, 03:48 AM

you're an asshole. what is it with dickheads like you. spurs fans in real life are good people. spur fans online are pricks to each other. The guy just asked a freakin question. he didn't need a smartass like you blabbing shit. get a life

Ditty
06-24-2011, 03:56 AM
Yes.

nice, hopefully Spurs can use it on a cheap big, or if there allowed to use it in a RJ or Bonner trade :downspin:

ChumpDumper
06-24-2011, 04:02 AM
nice, hopefully Spurs can use it on a cheap big, or if there allowed to use it in a RJ or Bonner trade :downspin:Can't combine it with player salaries, but it can be combined with the Jerrells exception to make one in the amount of about $1.6 million.

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2011, 04:07 AM
its bs if they cant pay for 2 guards, when duncan is expiring, and ginoboli next season

ghill will still be earning the minimum this season, with duncan off the books next season, they can offer ghill whatever MLE-7M a season....duncan taking 10-15m paycut and resigning for less when his contract is up....

fck this RJ AND BONNER go eat a dick and fck off plz

Russo21
06-24-2011, 04:10 AM

LMAO:toasti second that

joshdaboss
06-24-2011, 04:26 AM
you're an asshole. what is it with dickheads like you. spurs fans in real life are good people. spur fans online are pricks to each other. The guy just asked a freakin question. he didn't need a smartass like you blabbing shit. get a life

Cry me a river, buddy. I'm a truth-teller. Nothing more.

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2011, 04:35 AM
going from a 61team down to +50 wins...looks like another first round exit to me as long rj, bonner and blair is still on the team....we are going nowhere....

Danny.Zhu
06-24-2011, 06:25 AM
There is no championship title for money saving.

TJastal
06-24-2011, 06:44 AM
There is no championship title for money saving.

Unless you count regular season championships, to which the spurs have done quite well in recent years.

ChumpDumper
06-24-2011, 06:45 AM
Doesn't read like a money move tbh.

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Good to see Hollinger understand what many of us have been trying to explain for a while (in regards of why Hill is expendable and why he should be traded).

bigfan
06-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks for posting Vic.

jeebus
06-24-2011, 08:08 AM
With all these rookies needing a year to get over themselves, we might be down to a 5 man team next season :(

Leetonidas
06-24-2011, 08:37 AM
joshdaboss embracing his role as GNSF :lmao

antgomez2009
06-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Most of the CATZ on here dont even know how to play basketball...much less the business side of it all....SMH....

Mr. Body
06-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Hollinger focuses on the money side. I'd say that's actually secondary. Kawhi may impact the team on the court more than GHill did, and Hill did well. The money situation is bonus.

hater
06-24-2011, 09:23 AM
disagree. the ONLY way this trade makes some sense is if you focus on money #1. Also this article assumes Hill is just a typical NBA player that would just walk away for more money. Hill is not like that.

mountainballer
06-24-2011, 09:26 AM
disagree. the ONLY way this trade makes some sense is if you focus on money #1. Also this article assumes Hill is just a typical NBA player that would just walk away for more money. Hill is not like that.

because he already has made his share?

hater
06-24-2011, 09:30 AM
because he already has made his share?

what is his share? especially under new CBA?

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2011, 09:37 AM
spurs winning the draft stakes....

we only win if it delivers a championship, not going into the next round to get beatened again

dunno what stats to expect from him, maybe something prime malik rose was avg here...

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2011, 09:45 AM
its bs if they cant pay for 2 guards, when duncan is expiring, and ginoboli next season

ghill will still be earning the minimum this season, with duncan off the books next season, they can offer ghill whatever MLE-7M a season....duncan taking 10-15m paycut and resigning for less when his contract is up....

Uh, the point isn't that they wouldn't have been able to give Hill MLE, it's that they don't think he's worth it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2011, 09:47 AM

We traded a guy who wasn't even a lock to beat out guys like Anderson and Neal next year for three players who have tremendous potential.

Yeah, it was only about the money...

And LOL at the thought of hill not being late that. How do you know? Watch him get MLE or better money out of Indy next year, barring drastic changes to the cap.

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2011, 10:01 AM
We traded a guy who wasn't even a lock to beat out guys like Anderson and Neal next year for three players who have tremendous potential.

And LOL at the thought of hill not being late that. How do you know? Watch him get MLE or better money out of Indy next year, barring drastic changes to the cap.

not sure if serious....

Phillip
06-24-2011, 10:08 AM
of course Hollinger thinks they are a winner. He loves the Spurs. But truth is, in terms of competing seriously for next year, they took a step or two back.

peacemaker885
06-24-2011, 10:14 AM
I see this as a very good way to part with George. He's a great player and the fact is, he won't get the playing time he deserves here in SA. In Indiana, he has the potential to really blossom. Good luck George!

Maddog
06-24-2011, 10:17 AM

Hill is going to deserve more than next years salary which is 1.4 million.
He is not going to sign for similar money after his rookie contract is up.
GH is versatile, has demonstrated to be a good defensive player, good citizen etc.
However, he is undersized for a 2 and has never become a good 1.
In addition he did not exactly flourish in this years playoff 40% FG, <30 from 3
He will have a long NBA career and will have good or great games causing an excessive number of posts on this board.

I'll miss him, but I think it was a good move. No Risk no reward.
Two excellent prospects Leonard and the Latvian. + save some money.

Hill is versatile and has shown to b

wildbill2u
06-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Hill never got into an consistent agressive mode like Pop urged him to do. At times he seemed passive on the court.

Watching limited film of Leonard, it appears he is very agressive on defense and has athleticism, skills that the team has been needing.

I would have liked him to be an inch or so taller--but according to DX he has such a freakish wing span he may play taller. I'm not completely sold on the wingspan as substitute for height theory, but let's pretend it works since he's our guy.

DX said he was their #1 wing, even with his lack of offensive polish, so maybe, just maybe he will fill the defensive void at the wing since Bruce left. Anything will be better than RJ in defense and rebounds.

jjktkk
06-24-2011, 10:20 AM

This is the primary reason they traded Hill imo.

hater
06-24-2011, 10:21 AM

:lol what? what has Anderson proven that makes you even suggest that? Neal is a great shooter, Hill is way better at every other aspect. Neal will soon be 28, he won't be getting any better besides shooting. Again, I think it's a good move if we are rebuilding. I guess we are.

agree

lil'mo
06-24-2011, 10:21 AM

YOU get a life over-the-top aggressive bonner and rj hater you :rolleyes

admiralsnackbar
06-24-2011, 10:22 AM
of course Hollinger thinks they are a winner. He loves the Spurs. But truth is, in terms of competing seriously for next year, they took a step or two back.
George Hill was not the key to "competing seriously for next year," assuming we can in the first place. We're not weak or shallow in the back court, we ARE shallow at 3-5.

EDIT: we aren't shallow at 3 with RJ, Green, Butler and now Leonard, but RJ definitely skews our price/performance ratio at 3 towards the negative.

DrSteffo
06-24-2011, 10:24 AM
It's kind of funny that some people here think we would have been a contender if we would have kept Hill. How far did we make it in the POs the last seasons? Do you think Duncan and Manu will improve next season? We needed some size and D skills at SF and some young talent for the future (and a big so the rights to Lorbek is not a bad bonus). Great draft! Props to the FO.

Taco
06-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Charles Barkley said on Dan Patrick show, Spurs made good move in trade of Hill for Leonard

Mr. Body
06-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Charles Barkley said on Dan Patrick show, Spurs made good move in trade of Hill for Leonard

Barkley's a smart guy.

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2011, 11:17 AM
this is bullshit, if the spurs wanted to save money, they shouldnt have given rj that extention and fkn bonner

stealthjbravo
06-24-2011, 11:34 AM

This means :lobt2:

k_nguyen93
06-24-2011, 11:56 AM

So is he back on the bandwagon? By the way can someone explain to me why the Spurs signed RJ last season? CBA ends this offseason, they should have let him play his "contract year" and if he produced, sign him under this CBA so he gets money. I know he said some shit about going back to NJ but he wasn't going to opt out of that unless he got the type of money Spurs gave him. I'm sure they could have gotten Splitter some other way if they wanted to.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2011, 12:34 PM
:lol what? what has Anderson proven that makes you even suggest that? Neal is a great shooter, Hill is way better at every other aspect. Neal will soon be 28, he won't be getting any better besides shooting. Again, I think it's a good move if we are rebuilding. I guess we are.

agree

Read the tea leaves. Spurs have said they love Anderson. They obviously feel he is close enough to what Hill gave them to go do this deal.

Anderson is a tough mofo and wouldn't have backed off in the Memphis series like Hill did.

ogait
06-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Spurs have said they love Anderson.

Is this always the argument? Spurs also loved G Hill and a bunch of other player before, that doesn't mean anything.

I don't have a particular problem whit this trade but I just can't stand Spurs fans pretending the team got any better in the short term. It may not make the Spurs considerably worse for next year but it certainly doesn't make them better.

And anyone saying Gary Neal or James Anderson will contribute more than G Hill is talking out of pure hope and not based on anything they've seen in the basketball court.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2011, 01:53 PM
@sJacas
Jačas
Spurs acquired rights on Lorbek as some sort of filler? Geniuses. He's gonna join them next year.

http://twitter.com/#!/sJacas/status/84275667881046016

TwelveGs210
06-24-2011, 02:01 PM

Says the guy with the robocop hairline..

k_nguyen93
06-24-2011, 02:14 PM
@sJacas
Jačas
Spurs acquired rights on Lorbek as some sort of filler? Geniuses. He's gonna join them next year.

http://twitter.com/#!/sJacas/status/84275667881046016 (http://twitter.com/#%21/sJacas/status/84275667881046016)

Who the hell is sHJacas?

Saw a post on another thread that Lorbek reupped his contract for 1 year so maybe.

jjktkk
06-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Is this always the argument? Spurs also loved G Hill and a bunch of other player before, that doesn't mean anything.

I don't have a particular problem whit this trade but I just can't stand Spurs fans pretending the team got any better in the short term. It may not make the Spurs considerably worse for next year but it certainly doesn't make them better.

And anyone saying Gary Neal or James Anderson will contribute more than G Hill is talking out of pure hope and not based on anything they've seen in the basketball court.

Apples and oranges. What makes you think Neal and Anderson can't replace Hill's production? And what kind of moves could the Spur's FO realistically make to make the Spurs a championship contender this year?

JR3
06-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Cry me a river, buddy. I'm a truth-teller. Nothing more.

He is a truth-teller too... You are an asshole.

Trimble87
06-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread so I thought this was as good a place as any for it:

Bill Simmons thoughts on the trade in his Draft Night Diary

TRADE! Ric Bucher reports that San Antonio is sending George Hill to Indiana for the rights to Kawhi Leonard. Like it for both teams. Van Gundy's take: "When San Antonio does a deal, I always think they're right." Somewhere, the people watching this draft with Richard Jefferson are sitting in awkward silence.

I lol'd

pawe
06-24-2011, 03:03 PM
YOU get a life over-the-top aggressive bonner and rj hater you :rolleyes

LOL you noticed it too huh.

Cessation
06-24-2011, 07:26 PM

By the numbers their production is very similar bro:

hill 11 ppg 29 min 45fg% 38 3pt%
neal 10 ppg 20 min 45fg% 42 3pt%

manufan10
06-24-2011, 08:12 PM

Hey, you're wrong about how much it costs too.

1 Year Membership - $3.33 a month

2 Year Membership - $2.50 a month

Monthly Membership - $6.95 a month

Link (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftGrades-110624&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fdraft2011%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumni st%3dford_chad%26page%3dDraftGrades-110624)

Yup, wrong again! :lol

frodo
06-24-2011, 08:13 PM
hollinger said the heat would win da championship too

manufan10
06-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Uh, the point isn't that they wouldn't have been able to give Hill MLE, it's that they don't think he's worth it.

Especially to a guy who won't crack the starting lineup unless there is an injury. That money can be spent better elsewhere.