PDA

View Full Version : 11 Champs Mavs ADD Rudy Fernandaz, 07 Champs Spurs did NOTHING

Basketball Power
06-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Got to love the differences between Spurs/Mavs FO

YAY Spurs saved money trading George Hill whose going to be an all star caliber player now that he's going to be major minutes

YAY SPURS ARE SAVING MONEY!!! so great to be a Spurs fan

SpursFanInAustin
06-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Mavs needed a wing player cause Butler's a free agent, coming off a knee injury and Peja Stojakovic was a stopgap. 07 Spurs did do something, they made a midseason trade, Francisco Elson for Kurt Thomas.

NASpurs
06-24-2011, 10:41 AM
I foresee a "Can't Start Threads" title under someone's screen name.

Basketball Power
06-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Mavs needed a wing player cause Butler's a free agent, coming off a knee injury and Peja Stojakovic was a stopgap. 07 Spurs did do something, they made a midseason trade, Francisco Elson for Kurt Thomas.

Kurt Thomas = Rudy Fernandaz in value?

give me a break, and Pop barely played Thomas that 08 post season run anyway

and the Mavs won the title WITHOUT Butler, so by adding Rudy they are getting stronger

hater
06-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Business First. we got 4 rings. Time to run a business.

Basketball Power
06-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Business First. we got 4 rings. Time to run a business.

when you're 70 you're going to be saying the same thing

hater
06-24-2011, 10:44 AM
when you're 70 you're going to be saying the same thing

pretty much. get used to it.

timtonymanu
06-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Why do people keep acting like Rudy Fernandez was a big acquisition? He is just as big of a mental midget as Matt Bonner in the playoffs.

longhorn
06-24-2011, 10:48 AM

YAY Spurs saved money trading George Hill whose going to be an all star caliber player now that he's going to be major minutes

Hill is going to be a backup in Indiana for Darren Collison, just like he was here. Minutes likely wont increase that much tbh.

Spurs also picked up a very promising SF (best SF in the draft) who can rebound and play D, a replacement for Hill (Cory Joseph), and some intriguing international prospects, including a guy who some saw as the best pure shooter in the draft (Bertans).

But I guess getting Rudy Fernandez (who's not even a good pickup) and not drafting anybody is better than that, right?

Spurs still have time to make moves in FA and through more trades. Stop whining.

ohmwrecker
06-24-2011, 10:50 AM
lol "all-star caliber player"

NickiRasgo
06-24-2011, 10:50 AM

and the Mavs won the title WITHOUT Butler, so by adding Rudy they are getting stronger

And he became a part for getting RJ. :depressed

xellos88330
06-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Quit being such a whiny bitch dude. You were complaining about size last season, and the Spurs have sacrificed Hill to bring much needed size AND athleticism at a position the Spurs really needed it. Now you are bitching about giving up Hill for it?

Leonard can be a huge mismatch problem especially considering he can play with his back to the basket. When was Hill ever a mismatch issue? He was an average PG, and and undersized SG. If he blossoms in Indiana, good for him. He deserves it after giving the Spurs what he could playing behind Manu and Parker.

Quit being so damn pessimistic. If you truly did know better than the Spurs FO, you sure as hell wouldn't be posting how upset you are to people on Spurstalk.

K-State Spur
06-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Why do people keep acting like Rudy Fernandez was a big acquisition? He is just as big of a mental midget as Matt Bonner in the playoffs.

Pretty true - if 3rd year Rudy F had played like 1st year Rudy F against the Mavs, they might not have gotten out of the first round. Somehow, he has managed to get worse each year in the league.

It's a decent move for the Mavs because it helps them hedge against JJB's likely departure. But it doesn't really affect anything in the West moving forward. Dallas' future fortunes are completely tied to how Dirk ages over the next 2-3 years. Next year, Dirk will be the same age that Tim was when the decline began.

jjktkk
06-24-2011, 11:01 AM
I foresee a "Can't Start Threads" title under someone's screen name.

This.

jjktkk
06-24-2011, 11:05 AM

Only someone, such as yourself, could celebrate the acquisition of a one demensional, undersize 2 guard, whose a whiny bitch, and who disappears in the playoffs. Nice thread NBA GM guru.

adrienne
06-24-2011, 11:09 AM
I like the pickup for the Mavs when I think of it in terms of a second-round pick, because Jordan Hamilton would not be cracking the rotation for the next year or two. If the Mavs are making another real push, it'll be now. Hopefully in a situation where he's happy (and he seems very happy about this trade) he'll be able to be effective, but I'm not exactly expecting him to be a big difference maker.

cheguevara
06-24-2011, 11:11 AM
good pickup.

Rudy is the kinda player that shrivels when in the spotlight, but in the mavs he will never be in the spotlight. He'll just be a bench guy that for a few minutes will do good things.

Rudy will never carry a team or change the way a game is going. But if the mavs are kicking ass, he will come in and bury some daggers.

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2011, 11:12 AM
SEEMS like last 2-3 years all of ports draft picks, lol busts, injured or traded away...so m uch for the hype

ducks
06-24-2011, 11:32 AM
seems like a good pickup to me
rudy wanted out of portland
maybe he will do better

hopefully jj will be gone

jjktkk
06-24-2011, 11:37 AM
seems like a good pickup to me
rudy wanted out of portland
maybe he will do better

hopefully jj will be gone

Its a good pickup if they can't keep Barea, but JJ is the better player imo.

Basketball Power
06-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Quit being such a whiny bitch dude. You were complaining about size last season, and the Spurs have sacrificed Hill to bring much needed size AND athleticism at a position the Spurs really needed it. Now you are bitching about giving up Hill for it?

Leonard can be a huge mismatch problem especially considering he can play with his back to the basket. When was Hill ever a mismatch issue? He was an average PG, and and undersized SG. If he blossoms in Indiana, good for him. He deserves it after giving the Spurs what he could playing behind Manu and Parker.

Quit being so damn pessimistic. If you truly did know better than the Spurs FO, you sure as hell wouldn't be posting how upset you are to people on Spurstalk.

PLEASE tell me how this draft pick is going to help our size in the front court

jjktkk
06-24-2011, 11:46 AM

Sf is the front court. The Spurs will have to look at other trades and free agency to shore up the front court. There wasn't a 4, or 5, worthy of the 15th pick, where Leanard was taken.

longhorn
06-24-2011, 11:48 AM

Leonard has the wingspan of Andrew Bynum and massive hands (largest in the entire draft) and plays the small forward position, which is part of the front court. Please tell me how that doesn't help our size in the front court. Can't make it any easier to make you look like an idiot.

Spurtacus
06-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Mavs are probably going to lose Barea, Butler, and Chandler. Spurs aren't losing a core player without getting someone back in return.

Leetonidas
06-24-2011, 11:51 AM
lol retard thinking trading George was strictly to "save money" and not to acquire the long 3 we've been needing since BEFORE Bruce retired

Leetonidas
06-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Doesn't know the SF is part of the frontcourt :lmao

adrienne
06-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Mavs are probably going to lose Barea, Butler, and Chandler. Spurs aren't losing a core player without getting someone back in return.

...why would they lose all of them? I don't see a way for them to keep everyone, but I also don't see why they'd lose everyone.

LeBald Crabs
06-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Just be happy that You have 4 LOBs cos You won't win another one in our lifetime. When you get frustrated remember all those teams without a ring just stfu and remember the good days. At least You have that.

Spurtacus
06-24-2011, 12:01 PM
...why would they lose all of them? I don't see a way for them to keep everyone, but I also don't see why they'd lose everyone.

Hard salary cap. If its put in around 60-65 million Mavs may not be able to afford all three. Mavs were at 90 million payroll at the end of this season.

Basketball Power
06-24-2011, 12:16 PM

you really think Cuban isn't going to pay Barea and Chandler? Butler is gone but they didn't need him anyway

jjktkk
06-24-2011, 12:33 PM
you really think Cuban isn't going to pay Barea and Chandler? Butler is gone but they didn't need him anyway

No. Cuban will pay Chandler, and let Barea walk, hence the reason they traded for Fernandez.

K-State Spur
06-24-2011, 12:38 PM

i don't know if it's likely that they will lose all of them, but if the hard salary cap comes in at around $65M as alluded to by the previous poster (certainly very possible), it will be really tough for the Mavs to keep any of them.

There would likely be some provisions available to let teams who already have guys under contract keep them at over the cap value for another year or two, but Dallas already has $61M committed to next year and likely would not be allowed to sign any FAs (even their own) at values that would allow them to greatly exceed that.

Spurtacus
06-24-2011, 12:40 PM

Cuban would love to pay all three; but he's likely not going to be able to if a hard cap is installed.

lotr1trekkie
06-24-2011, 12:55 PM
What we do will greatly depend on the new CPA. We can't long compete with a loony Billionaire like Cuban etc. This is only the first year his money got him home. Lakers seem to know who to throw money at. Shaq! Gasol was like mana from heaven. NY has more TV revenue than the Spurs have revenue. Can't compete long term unless we have hard cap, franchise label and loss of #1 draft choices if a team exceeds the cap.

SpursFanInAustin
06-24-2011, 01:42 PM

Right, JJ Barea started, and he too is a free agent, and the Mavs will have to make a decision on him and Tyson Chandler, and you best believe, they'll likely keep Chandler over Barea if it comes down to it.

I seem to remember Thomas starting every game of the Suns series and grabbed some key rebounds and played tough defense vs. Shaq, and playing a lot vs. the Hornets in the 08 playoffs.

I know he didn't play a lot vs. the Lakers, but I thought he should have, but Pop stuck with Robert Horry because of matchups and his outside shooting history. Remember LA started Odom and Gasol at 4 and 5 and Thomas would've been too slow for them. Plus Pop probably thought Horry still could find the old magic to help beat his former team. Oh well.

dunkman
06-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Should have added Scola for the 07-08 season, but something went wrong. The Spurs were still favorites in that season and they reached the WCF, from there all went down, they won only 1 playoffs serie in three seasons.

ChumpDumper
06-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Doesn't know the SF is part of the frontcourt :lmaolol power

jack0fspeed
06-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Both teams made moves that made me yawn.

I hate this lockout cr4p.

Proxy
06-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Both teams made moves that made me yawn.

I hate this lockout cr4p.

hm... thought the opposite. imo, both teams made good moves.

Dallas is going to lose JJ and Butler, I presume, and resign Tyson. Rudy is the makeup for the loss, and he is a slasher... which the Mavs didn't have.

Spurs trade an undersized SG, who they wouldn't have been able to re-sign, and get a potential SF/PF starter.... ie what RJ should've been giving us.

mavsfan1000
06-24-2011, 06:43 PM
hm... thought the opposite. imo, both teams made good moves.

Dallas is going to lose JJ and Butler, I presume, and resign Tyson. Rudy is the makeup for the loss, and he is a slasher... which the Mavs didn't have.

Spurs trade an undersized SG, who they wouldn't have been able to re-sign, and get a potential SF/PF starter.... ie what RJ should've been giving us.
If that is their idea, we are in trouble. Rudy is no replacement for Butler, Stevenson, and Barea. The only one he replaces is Stojakovic.

Proxy
06-24-2011, 07:01 PM
If that is their idea, we are in trouble. Rudy is no replacement for Butler, Stevenson, and Barea. The only one he replaces is Stojakovic.

Well, it's better than nothing. You got him for a pick, so it's a nothing to lose, everything to gain.

As a Spurs fan, I'm not going to act like I'm upset that you guy's perimeter defense will suffer through losing those guys. Tyson is obviously the priority though.

xellos88330
06-24-2011, 08:58 PM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Wow!!! Really?!?

The Spurs have size in the frontcourt with Splitter, Duncan and now Leonard. I mean hell even Bonner brings size. I think what you are looking for are frontcourt players who can play above the rim and actually play big.

Here is a tidbit of information for you. Most teams use a 3 guard lineup to counter the Spurs transition and are allowed to get away with it because Jefferson lacks a post game in half court and can be guarded by a smaller player. The same can be said with Bonner. Now insert Kawhi Leonard. The opposing team will have no choice but to keep a bigger/slower player on him at all times because Leonard does have a post game, or run the risk of having a little guard getting abused in the post by him. On top of that his rebounding ability is insane and could really help complete defensive possessions. Dude averaged a double double and posseses above average athleticism. He is also been said to be a pretty enthusiastic defender. His only weakness IMO is the range on his jumper.

You should be grateful and learn what a backcourt and frontcourt is before you start spouting retardisms.

TJastal
06-25-2011, 03:25 AM

Fernandez career 3pt%: 42%
Bonner career 3pt%: 32%

Beg pardon?

TJastal
06-25-2011, 03:28 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Wow!!! Really?!?

The Spurs have size in the frontcourt with Splitter, Duncan and now Leonard. I mean hell even Bonner brings size. I think what you are looking for are frontcourt players who can play above the rim and actually play big.

Here is a tidbit of information for you. Most teams use a 3 guard lineup to counter the Spurs transition and are allowed to get away with it because Jefferson lacks a post game in half court and can be guarded by a smaller player. The same can be said with Bonner. Now insert Kawhi Leonard. The opposing team will have no choice but to keep a bigger/slower player on him at all times because Leonard does have a post game, or run the risk of having a little guard getting abused in the post by him. On top of that his rebounding ability is insane and could really help complete defensive possessions. Dude averaged a double double and posseses above average athleticism. He is also been said to be a pretty enthusiastic defender. His only weakness IMO is the range on his jumper.

You should be grateful and learn what a backcourt and frontcourt is before you start spouting retardisms.

Leonard has no post game to speak of either. Which is why he's focusing on dribbling and perimeter skills so he can become a better "2". Too bad really, with the body he has he'd be as tough as Artest.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2011, 04:05 AM
Fernandez career 3pt%: 42%
Bonner career 3pt%: 32%

Beg pardon?Fernandez 2011 playoff 3pt%: .300

Bonner 2011 playoff 3pt%: .333

Beg pardon?

ChumpDumper
06-25-2011, 04:06 AM
Leonard has no post game to speak of either. Which is why he's focusing on dribbling and perimeter skills so he can become a better "2". Too bad really, with the body he has he'd be as tough as Artest.I'm going to just say you've never watched him play and are just butthurt that Hill got traded after you said he was going to start.

You will talk shit about Leonard from now on because you are simply a bitch.

endrity
06-25-2011, 04:49 AM
I am sure we will lose some of the guys. Butler and Stevenson are prime candidates, though I think we'll keep one. Chandler will be given a big contract. And JJ depends on what offers he gets. If some team out there thinks he can be a starting PG and pays him as such, then he's gone obviously. If not, why would he want to be an impact sub anywhere else other than Dallas?

And btw, there will be no hard cap. Not even a flex cap seems possible right now. They'll probably increase the luxury tax fee to make it harder for teams to pass that, but some teams will still be able to overspend I think.

ivanfromwestwood
06-25-2011, 05:03 AM
you are simply a bitch.:rollin

TJastal
06-25-2011, 05:17 AM
I am sure we will lose some of the guys. Butler and Stevenson are prime candidates, though I think we'll keep one. Chandler will be given a big contract. And JJ depends on what offers he gets. If some team out there thinks he can be a starting PG and pays him as such, then he's gone obviously. If not, why would he want to be an impact sub anywhere else other than Dallas?

And btw, there will be no hard cap. Not even a flex cap seems possible right now. They'll probably increase the luxury tax fee to make it harder for teams to pass that, but some teams will still be able to overspend I think.

I'm 150% positive Cuban will not let Barea go, he was absolutely key to that championship run. If anyone isn't resigned, it will be Butler and maybe Stevenson, but I doubt anyone is gonna overpay for Stevenson so he'll probably be back too.

TJastal
06-25-2011, 05:18 AM
I'm going to just say you've never watched him play and are just butthurt that Hill got traded after you said he was going to start.

You will talk shit about Leonard from now on because you are simply a bitch.

lmao so now I'm "talking shit" by just pointing out facts?

ChumpDumper
06-25-2011, 05:22 AM
lmao so now I'm "talking shit" by just pointing out facts?You never watched him play, just like you never saw Steve Novak play small forward in his entire NBA career.