PDA

View Full Version : If you traded Jefferson for Salmons...

dochay
06-24-2011, 12:05 PM
would it make any difference? They are the same age, same level of player and Salmons actually has an extra year on his contract. Salmons doesn't seem like an upgrade to me. So why would Sacramento take him with no Parker and turn down Jefferson AND Parker? So strange.

Spurtacus
06-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Salmons is a upgrade.

cheguevara
06-24-2011, 12:11 PM
salmons >>>>>>>>>>>> RJ

trade = not possible

jjktkk
06-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Salmons is a solid defender, who can score. Sadly RJ has become a mental midget, so yes Salmons is the better player, easily.

spurspokesman
06-24-2011, 12:42 PM
would it make any difference? They are the same age, same level of player and Salmons actually has an extra year on his contract. Salmons doesn't seem like an upgrade to me. So why would Sacramento take him with no Parker and turn down Jefferson AND Parker? So strange.

Same age? Yes. Same level? NO. Salmons by a country mile. He can defend and looks for his own offense. He has a set. That's the big difference.

will_spurs
06-24-2011, 12:57 PM
There's little reason for SacTo to get Salmons contract back and trade down in the draft, if it's not to include Salmons in a subsequent deal.

hater
06-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Salmons = NBA player

RJ = YMCA player stealing money from Spursfans and their children

dochay
06-24-2011, 01:21 PM
I don't see it. Salmons is a good player, a step above a role player. Not good from long range, gets most of his points off the dribble or mid-range. Defense is good but not great. He is basically Jefferson with better effort. Salmons is also very injury prone the past couple of years.
As much hate as Jefferson gets most of his problems are how he fits in the team concept and how the Spurs use him. Like a run oriented team getting a pass catching tight end and having him run reverses all game. Of course it's not going to work.
Two years ago if San Antonio fans would of had to choose between Jefferson and Salmons I doubt it would have been unanimous for Salmons.
With Bonner being Bonner, Blair being an undersized liability on D, Mcdyes and Duncan being shades of their former selves, Splitter being punished for being a rookie and all the other stuff, (Anderson and Manu injury- Parker and Hill erratic play) it seems kinda unrealistic for Jefferson to take all the blame.
This is coming from a guy who can't stand Jefferson ever since SA played him in the finals. Hated him and Martin so much after that series. Cocky morons. But c'mon, it's not all on him.

JsnSA
06-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Considering Jefferson played fairly well for the Bucks before joining the Spurs I would prefer we see if there is anyway we could trade straight up for SJax:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6cvmcyd

The salary is pretty much the same though SJax has two more years to RJs 3. I just think Jackson would be a better fit on this team than RJ. SJax may be a headcase at times but he gets along with the Spurs players and he does not shrink under pressure like RJ.

This works in that it should make Jackson happy, allow the Spurs to move on from the RJ trade and would give RJ another shot to revive his game, and RJ might be a better fit for the Bucks than an unhappy SJax. There are probably better trades to be made but this seems like it might actually be possible.

jjktkk
06-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Considering Jefferson played fairly well for the Bucks before joining the Spurs I would prefer we see if there is anyway we could trade straight up for SJax:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6cvmcyd

The salary is pretty much the same though SJax has two more years to RJs 3. I just think Jackson would be a better fit on this team than RJ. SJax may be a headcase at times but he gets along with the Spurs players and he does not shrink under pressure like RJ.

This works in that it should make Jackson happy, allow the Spurs to move on from the RJ trade and would give RJ another shot to revive his game, and RJ might be a better fit for the Bucks than an unhappy SJax. There are probably better trades to be made but this seems like it might actually be possible.

It doesn't work because Milwaukee already got rid of RJ once, and their not stupid enough to take em back. It only works for people who love to fantasize.

ohmwrecker
06-24-2011, 02:25 PM
If the Spurs are actually able to move RJ, I would prefer they get a big in return. That is the more pressing need. Leonard, Butler and Green are probably capable of rotating the SF spot. The last thing the Spurs need now is another SG/SF. They've addressed that need imo.
I'd like to see them go for Tyrus Thomas, JJ Hickson or Anderson Varejao . . . someone like that.

I love Cap'n Jack as much as the next Spurs fan, but no thanks.

Tobias
06-24-2011, 02:28 PM
[] Trade RJ
[] Fill a need

Choose one.

JsnSA
06-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Milwaukee didn't trade Jefferson because they disliked his play. They traded him because two years ago they were looking to cut their payroll as much as possible.

However, they already have Jackson on the books and Jefferson makes just as much though for 1 year longer. The main reason the Bucks might go for this is that no team wants to deal with an unhappy SJax. Its just not worth it. If he starts acting up then trading for RJ may not be a bad move for them.

This could be like San Antonio getting Sean Elliott back after trading him to the Pistons. it revived Sean's career and could do the same for RJ. I am certainly not saying this is super likely but this is no way close to one of those crazy fantasy trades.

Now I would love to get a big man for RJ but I doubt that is likely unless it involves a package deal where we give up other Spurs. I think of all teams, the Bucks would be one of the most likely to take on RJ as they already had a good relationship with him as he performed well in their system and the fans liked him.

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Milwaukee didn't trade Jefferson because they disliked his play. They traded him because two years ago they were looking to cut their payroll as much as possible.

However, they already have Jackson on the books and Jefferson makes just as much though for 1 year longer. The main reason the Bucks might go for this is that no team wants to deal with an unhappy SJax. Its just not worth it. If he starts acting up then trading for RJ may not be a bad move for them.

This could be like San Antonio getting Sean Elliott back after trading him to the Pistons. it revived Sean's career and could do the same for RJ. I am certainly not saying this is super likely but this is no way close to one of those crazy fantasy trades.

Now I would love to get a big man for RJ but I doubt that is likely unless it involves a package deal where we give up other Spurs. I think of all teams, the Bucks would be one of the most likely to take on RJ as they already had a good relationship with him as he performed well in their system and the fans liked him.

jax might not even show up in MIL lmao...spurs should move in for the pitb, heck chuck in bonner for the kill

angelbelow
06-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Salmons is an upgrade as a player but a bit smaller than RJ. Would probably eat up more minutes at the 2 position leaving our 3 position very... well inexperienced.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Salmons would be better, but there wouldn't be huge differences. I would still swap them instantly, solely because of contracts.

Amuseddaysleeper
06-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Yeah, Jackson apparently is really unhappy about being sent to MIL, and could be requesting a trade before he even attends a single training camp. I don't know how we could land him as I still can't see MIL taking on RJ's crappy contract.

As for RJ, I'm secretly praying that an amnesty clause will show up after the negotiations are finished and the Spurs can simple axe him from the roster. At this point letting RJ go for nothing is even better than trying to force Parker in a trade simply to get rid of Jefferson.

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2011, 02:51 PM
get jax to mentor the sf? :D:D no shit attitude

spurs10
06-24-2011, 03:36 PM
We need size.

SpursBills
06-24-2011, 04:11 PM
How would you feel about a Jefferson and Blair for Jackson and a 2012 second rounder swap? That would leave us very thin up front, but if the front office feels that Lorbek is ready to step in and contribute 15 minutes a game, the upgrade from Jefferson to Jack might be worth it. Really hate losing Blair as well, but I'm discouraged at the fact that he seemed to regress towards the end of last year and I don't know how much he'd be able to contribute this year.

temujin
06-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Salmons = NBA player

RJ = YMCA player stealing money from Spursfans and their children

:rollin

:rollin

I couldn't stop laughing.

k_nguyen93
06-24-2011, 04:24 PM
How would you feel about a Jefferson and Blair for Jackson and a 2012 second rounder swap? That would leave us very thin up front, but if the front office feels that Lorbek is ready to step in and contribute 15 minutes a game, the upgrade from Jefferson to Jack might be worth it. Really hate losing Blair as well, but I'm discouraged at the fact that he seemed to regress towards the end of last year and I don't know how much he'd be able to contribute this year.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=5spsxya

Lorbek isn't coming over though. Just signed a one year contract.

Spurtacus
06-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Yeah, Jackson apparently is really unhappy about being sent to MIL, and could be requesting a trade before he even attends a single training camp. I don't know how we could land him as I still can't see MIL taking on RJ's crappy contract.

As for RJ, I'm secretly praying that an amnesty clause will show up after the negotiations are finished and the Spurs can simple axe him from the roster. At this point letting RJ go for nothing is even better than trying to force Parker in a trade simply to get rid of Jefferson.

In a perfect world the Bucks would welcome back RJ. In exchange for taking him off our hands we would give them the retiring McDyess and throw in a second round pick. Won't happen but I can dream.

Cane
06-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Salmons would be a lateral move and he's more of a SG than a SF compared to RJ. He'd also likely struggle in his first year as a Spur like several have done before. But RJ's not exactly giving the Spurs reasons to keep him anyway.

yavozerb
06-24-2011, 05:32 PM
The spurs could not even move RJ in a package deal with a top 5-7 pg in his prime...RJ is not going anywhere, get used to that..

ohmwrecker
06-24-2011, 05:38 PM
The spurs could not even move RJ in a package deal with a top 5-7 pg in his prime...RJ is not going anywhere, get used to that..

Nobody really knows if the Spurs were seriously offering that deal. None of the rumored proposals were very good deals for the Spurs and they wound up making a smart deal on draft day. So, I'm leaning toward bullshit on those TP/RJ package deals.

ChumpDumper
06-24-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm sure the Spurs were getting offers for Parker after his comments in the press, and I'm sure the Spurs floated some deals with Jefferson since that was the only real reason to do something like that for mediocre players and picks in a shitty draft.

yavozerb
06-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Nobody really knows if the Spurs were seriously offering that deal. None of the rumored proposals were very good deals for the Spurs and they wound up making a smart deal on draft day. So, I'm leaning toward bullshit on those TP/RJ package deals.

You can think that, but did you see many execs denying these offers either? I didnt, and with the amount of pub it got, I am pretty sure that at least some discussions involving TP/RJ came up. Some pretty good writers would disagree with you..

Cane
06-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Imo Spurs were willing to give up nearly anyone to get a shot at Valanciunas but he got taken too early.