PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Lost the Plot last offseason

Jahivah
06-25-2011, 11:43 AM
By resigning Tony Parker and Dick Jefferson to long term deals. Hindsight is 50/50 and I completely understand. But I think that in their desperation to contend the Spurs made two big mistakes. That coupled with the resigning of Matt Bonner has put them in a horrible financial situation. Forget the rookies. We all know about Pop's short leash with rookies and from everything we know; all of these guys are at best unpolished. So let's look at the core of the team.

Timmy is on his last legs.
Tony Parker's best days are behind him.
Manu has alot of wear and tear on that body.
Dick is older and has become nothing more than a passenger, hoping to be driven to the promise land. The guy hardly drives to the basket any more.

Outside of these guys we have a bunch of serviceable players and Tiago Splitter who pop refuses to give any playing time. George Hill was bright spot in that he was a big bodied point who could shoot the ball and most importantly DEFEND.

Giving Parker that huge contract made him almost impossible to trade along with Dick Jefferson, who no one wants. The plot has been lost guys.

TwelveGs210
06-25-2011, 11:50 AM
You should be a journalist.

benefactor
06-25-2011, 11:56 AM
By resigning Tony Parker and Dick Jefferson to long term deals. Hindsight is 50/50 and I completely understand. But I think that in their desperation to contend the Spurs made two big mistakes. That coupled with the resigning of Matt Bonner has put them in a horrible financial situation. Forget the rookies. We all know about Pop's short leash with rookies and from everything we know; all of these guys are at best unpolished. So let's look at the core of the team.

Timmy is on his last legs.
Tony Parker's best days are behind him.
Manu has alot of wear and tear on that body.
Dick is older and has become nothing more than a passenger, hoping to be driven to the promise land. The guy hardly drives to the basket any more.

Outside of these guys we have a bunch of serviceable players and Tiago Splitter who pop refuses to give any playing time. George Hill was bright sport in that he was a big bodies point who could shoot the ball and most importantly DEFEND.

Giving Parker that huge contract made him almost impossible to trade along with Dick Jefferson, who no one wants. The plot has been lost guys.
http://osocio.org/images/uploads/ndss-great-story-sujeet_thumb.jpg

Harry Callahan
06-25-2011, 12:43 PM
The Spurs are not in a "Horrible" financial position.

The Spurs could be massively under the cap in two years or at worst no longer paying a bunch of money to 30 somethings. Duncan and Manu may be off the books by 2013. The roster is now 9-10 deep with at least half of the players on rookie contracts through 2013-2014.

Jefferson is a tough one yes (3 more years)

Bonner is not highly paid given his tenure in the league ($3MM a year). He needs to be a 15 minute a night player, not a 25 minute player.

Tony Parker has four years on his deal, but he has the ability to be very good thoughout that contract (he'll be 32-33 when its up). I would contend that Tony would have pretty good value for the next year or two if SA wants to deal him, and his compensation is reasonable of a top ten point guard, which he still is at this time.

The way I see it, there is one more year of "going for it" and then the full bore rebuild gets going. I could see a tanking in two years with a roster cleanout.

If SA has bad luck injury wise next year, the rebuild may begin immediately.

I don't see TD on the team for the 2013 - 2014 season. I thing he'll call it a career at that time.

Big P
06-25-2011, 01:45 PM
rj's contract was definitely a mistake, but Parker got the going rate....hell even Calderon in Toronto makes $10 mil per, but the other mistake I think the fo made, was bidding against themselves when they signed bonner...5 years $15 mil...really? You could have given him a 3 year $8 or 9 mil and even that would have been stretching it...bad signing...especially when every dollar is really going to count under the new cba.