PDA

View Full Version : Another Spurs Assistant Coach gone after this season?

Kori Ellis
06-11-2005, 02:54 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_2793905

Spurs assistant has ties to Karl
By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer

San Antonio - At the end of this month, contracts for several Nuggets assistants will expire and speculation will start about new coaches for George Karl.

While he is quite happy working for the Western Conference champions, San Antonio Spurs assistant Don Newman is expected to be mentioned with the Nuggets.

Newman was a Milwaukee Bucks assistant under Karl from 1999-2003 and played for him with the CBA Montana Golden Nuggets.

"When it comes down to George, there is always a conversation that has to be had," Newman said Thursday before Game 1 of the Finals. "He's concerned about building his staff. Obviously, I was a big part of his staff in Milwaukee. It's only natural that we talk about his situation, and whether it be me or whether I can help him get his jobs filled, that friendship will never end."

Newman signed a long-term contract with San Antonio and said it would be tough to leave.

"(Karl) would have to refer everything through the Spurs (for permission)," Newman said. "I'm in a great situation here in San Antonio."

WalterBenitez
06-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Pop and RC will have to hire some new staff

ChumpDumper
06-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the tip on GRob, Don. Hope you stay.

David@SLCC
06-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Ruben Magnano, anyone?

http://www.cdv.cl/magnano1.jpeg

Dex
06-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Does anybody think this damn near complete influx of new coaching staff is going to have any adverse affects on this team next season?

Dex
06-11-2005, 04:57 PM
On another note, why the hell would he want to hand over being a Spurs assistant, which he obviously enjoys, for being a Nuggets assistant?

I mean, I could understand if we were talking a head coaching job or something. But honestly, why are you going to jump ship from a winning team to a losing one? Does anybody really like George Karl that much?

Kori Ellis
06-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Does anybody think this damn near complete influx of new coaching staff is going to have any adverse affects on this team next season?

Well none of them have actually taken other jobs yet. So it's nothing to be concerned about at this point.

And if Newman and Carlesimo do get other postions, then I'm sure they'll be replaced with guys who will do equally as well here.

T Park
06-11-2005, 05:46 PM
If Newman leaves, then IMO the Spurs are in a bind, Im sure there is no shortage of assistants out there, but, you cant just keep shuffling assistants through.

The only constant is Mike Bud, and its prob cause no one wants him.

I wonder who they would promote, or go find.

The lead assistant, who knows, maybe Magnano, if Pop is willing to totally change his offense.

Mark in Austin
06-11-2005, 05:52 PM
nobody has been offered anything yet.

That being said, if PJ and Newman both wind up moving on, I don't really see it as anything more than a speedbump.

If Magnano's Arg. National Team responsibilities allow him to coach a full NBA season, and he's interested, he'd be a great choice.

Something tells me Dave Cowens makes a better assistant coach then head coach. He'd make an interesting choice, as would bringing back Mario Ellie if he's interested in a larger role than what we could offer before. Mario had a big impact on Devin's development when he was here. If Brown leaves the Pistons, Gar Heard would be intrigueing. So would Lionel Hollins from Memphis and Bob McAdoo in Miami. Off the wall pick: Pete Carril. He's 71 and has been with Sacramento for six or seven years, but it would be very cool to see what wrinkles the architect of the Princeton offense could add to the Spurs with players like Manu, Parker, and an unselfish big man like Duncan to work with.

Kori Ellis
06-11-2005, 05:54 PM
I think if any of the assistants leave, the replacements will be people we would never guess. I mean, who really knew about Don Newman last summer?

Kori Ellis
06-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Didn't Magnano just sign a long-term contract in Europe this past season?

Mark in Austin
06-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Not sure, but I just read that Sergio Hernandez is the new coach of the Arg. National Team. I didn't realize Magnano had stepped down...

T Park
06-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Dave Cowens is gonna be the head coach of the Chicago WNBA expansion team.

Mario Elie is not in the position to be a head assistant, or anything else, I dont know how good of an assistant he is.

Bob Mcadoo? maybe, but him and Riley are supposedly tight.\

Gar Heard is a complete moron, notice the difference of the Pistons record when he coached as opposed to Larry, it was horrible, Gar Heard is not a good coach.

Maybe some new blood, someone that is in 4th line that is young that they consider a great basketball mind.

Make Robert Horry a player coach????

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-11-2005, 06:19 PM
If Magnano's Arg. National Team responsibilities allow him to coach a full NBA season, and he's interested, he'd be a great choice.

Magnano is running a team in Italy now, and is no longer coaching the Argentines.

I doubt Euro coaches have buyouts for the NBA, though. :lol

I don't care who else Pop brings in as an assistant if we lose a couple of guys, as long as we do everything we can to bring Magnano in.

He'd be the offensive Tex Winters to Pop's "zen" defense.

If we're going to bring Scola in, I think this move would be a no brainer, and if you put Ruben's creativity to work with our talent on the wings, our offense would be crazy good.

T Park
06-11-2005, 06:21 PM
I don't care who else Pop brings in as an assistant if we lose a couple of guys, as long as we do everything we can to bring Magnano in

If he has a new multi year deal in Europe, I doubt hes coming over here to coach.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Yeah? No one thought three months ago that our starting center for the rest of the Tim Duncan era was playing ball in New York, either.