Spursfan092120
06-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Fuck that guy.

Interrohater
06-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Worst article ever.

k_nguyen93
06-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Only thing I got out of this article was that Kawhi probably dropped from not working out for a lot of teams. No injury like James Anderson last year. Read somewhere that he shut down Jordan Hamilton so hard in a workout that the guy walked out cuz of dizziness.

Spurs team loaded with a bunch of 6'7" forwards who play defense but don't score much I want some :)

35 and breaking down Til the wheels come off? I'm pretty Tim is the only 35 year old unless we count McDyess...

He, like the Indiana Pacers who chose him, were all about teamwork, grinding defense, and playing the game the right way. :rollin

best known for a team that won championship trophies years ago What's that make the Pacers and the 20+ teams that don't even have trophies :wow

Not a night in a side alley, with broken lights, and probably a broken heart. Never been to San Antonio but :lmao

Kori Ellis
06-26-2011, 11:46 AM
It's a weird article even for a homer to write. I doubt that Leonard is disappointed that he's going to play with the Spurs. Any young player with any sense would welcome the opportunity to play with/learn from Tim Duncan, even a declining Tim Duncan.

And it's not like the Spurs are a lottery team. They are coming off a 60+ winning season.

Bruno
06-26-2011, 11:49 AM
I guess the writer is a Lakers fan and isn't thrilled to see a player he liked going to SA.

SenorSpur
06-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Who is this prick? He strikes me as a "guest" columnist writing about a sport that he doesn't follow.

5in10
06-26-2011, 11:51 AM
It's so funny how all of us jumped on his ass.

ogait
06-26-2011, 12:02 PM
I guess the writer is a Lakers fan and isn't thrilled to see a player he liked going to SA.

:lol definitely seems that way.

I just hope the guy actually knows more about this kid than he does of the Spurs.

I particularly enjoyed this one:

"He winds up on a Spurs team loaded with a bunch of 6'7" forwards who play defence but don't score much".

Where are those is what I'm wondering.

will_spurs
06-26-2011, 12:12 PM
The article doesn't make sense at all. Actually if you read his bio the guy follows the Chargers and Padres, which makes sense. There's no NBA team in San Diego, though, so it looks like he has no clue what he is talking about. In which case he should keep his mouth shut rather than ridicule himself like this.

adrienne
06-26-2011, 12:13 PM
I don't understand this media opinion that the Spurs aren't anything to worry about anymore. Last time I checked, Tim Duncan is still on the roster and they still won 60+ games last year. May not be the "big dogs" anymore, but San Antonio is nothing to gloss over.

Brutalis
06-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Wow...

I bet you anything Kawhi isn't feeling half of what this dude is saying. Lmao this guy acts like it was his kid getting drafted,

k_nguyen93
06-26-2011, 12:19 PM
I don't understand this media opinion that the Spurs aren't anything to worry about anymore. Last time I checked, Tim Duncan is still on the roster and they still won 60+ games last year. May not be the "big dogs" anymore, but San Antonio is nothing to gloss over.

Its part of being Spurs fan. From what I gather its been like that since maybe 2006 when they lost to Dallas? 07 ship was attributed to Dallas flame out/Phoenix conspiracy/weak east. Haters like Jon Barry going to hate. Listen to interview with Becky Hammond, even she knows: http://www.1250zone.com/pages/6786063.php?

SCdac
06-26-2011, 12:19 PM
In a poll last year, or the year before, NBA rookies stated the Spurs are the #1 team they want to be drafted to (something like 17% if I remember, followed closely by the LA Lakers with something like 14%). I don't have the link anymore, but it was posted on this forum. The downside of coming to play here is being largely exaggerated by this writer.

k_nguyen93
06-26-2011, 12:22 PM
In a poll last year, or the year before, NBA rookies stated the Spurs are the #1 team they want to be drafted to (something like 17% if I remember, followed closely by the LA Lakers with something like 14%). I don't have the link anymore, but it was posted on this forum. The downside of coming to play here is being largely exaggerated by this writer.

That's interesting, I really want to see that poll. They're probably not accounting for money though, if you're going to San Antonio probably not as much money on rookie scale since they're always in the 20s with the exception of the trade up this year. I believe stupid writer above said Leonard lost about $2 million from dropping down up to about 10 spots.

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2011, 12:28 PM

Rick Jackson and his father says HI....

http://projectspurs.com/2011-articles/june/syracuses-rick-jackson-says-no-to-spurs.html

SCdac
06-26-2011, 12:33 PM

http://projectspurs.com/2011-articles/june/syracuses-rick-jackson-says-no-to-spurs.html

Surely, not every player is going to want to play for every franchise...

Doesn't change the fact most of the players polled picked SA as the first team they'd want to play for.

k_nguyen93
06-26-2011, 12:35 PM

Butthurt: http://twitter.com/#!/23Jack

Vic Petro
06-26-2011, 12:41 PM

It says right there that he wanted the Spurs to pick him at 59. He's pissed off that nobody picked him so he's going overseas.

He's a good player...surprised at all this twitter nonsense he's put out during/after the draft. Bums me out.

Kori Ellis
06-26-2011, 12:48 PM
That's interesting, I really want to see that poll. They're probably not accounting for money though, if you're going to San Antonio probably not as much money on rookie scale since they're always in the 20s with the exception of the trade up this year. I believe stupid writer above said Leonard lost about $2 million from dropping down up to about 10 spots.

Here's the old thread about that poll:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156992

Nathan89
06-26-2011, 12:52 PM
he said he will make every team who passed on him pay.

but...but... every team passed on you. The kid is dumb but more importantly to point out is the father is giving some terrible advice.

Fabbs
06-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Listen to Lee Hamilton off and on. He's pretty full of himself and fairly incompetent like most media, but he's not that far off on this article.

1. Yes, as is the requirement to be in SoCal radio, he is a Laker Brownozer. Not nearly as severe as other thos, notably the gagging "Loose Cannons." Vic the Brick Jacobs, ex Faker Michelle Thompsan etc.

2. I agree with Kori, i doubt Leonard is bummed about coming to the Spurs. He may be bummed about *dropping* to 15 tho. Altho that is a joke, Leonard is not all the kool aid drinkers are hyping him up to be. This years draft is one of the most weak assed in memory so even **if** he would have gone higher, he's not all that. Lets hope he developes.

This part of the article is very true:
Maybe it was Leonard's frame, and the question if he could be an explosive leaper, going against bigger and more athletic power forwards. Maybe it was the lack of a true offensive game, outside shooting to the point. Maybe the put back baskets he got against BYU or others in the Mountain West Conference teams, would wind up as blocked shots and rejections against the leapers down around the block in the NBA.

wildbill2u
06-26-2011, 01:28 PM
It's so funny how all of us jumped on his ass.

Not just us. I read all the comments at the newspaper response area and didn't see one that thought the writer was right, and that includes all the SD fans and Leonard fans from all over.

boutons_deux
06-26-2011, 01:28 PM
"Kawhi Leonard will have to prove himself all over again,"

what NBA rookie doesn't have to do the same?

Hooks
06-26-2011, 01:36 PM
This dude is stupid as fuck, first of all he doesn't even know Leonard is a SF, not a PF, there's a BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE between a SF and a PF lmao. I can tell this guy doesn't watch basketball much, he probably just watches ESPN or some shit. How the fuck can you watch Leonard all year and not know what position he plays, this guy's stupidity alone pisses me off.

The Spurs aren't even that old either, they're trying to get rid of RJ, Dice is probably retiring, and Bonner TD and Manu are the oldest guys on the team, everybody else is in their 20's. The Spurs aren't done contending either.

Russ
06-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Who is this prick? He strikes me as a "guest" columnist writing about a sport that he doesn't follow.

He's the former voice of the San Diego Chargers and was once the most popular radio sportstalk host in SoCal.

Time, however, wasn't kind to Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton. He was too much into sports and not enough into culture, not hip enough.

He was ridiculed mercilessly by his former stablemate at XTRA Sports 690, Jim Rome.

"Good night now," was his signature phrase and Rome turned it into a joke.

Rome called "Hacksaw" "Butterknife."

His bad toupee (he did local TV sports in San Diego) was legendary.

A San Diego homer is the best way to describe him. A once proud figure put out to pasture.

Harry Callahan
06-26-2011, 02:35 PM
I sense that the untalented talk show host/column writer was mad that SDSU's best player left after only two years when the Aztecs had the best season in its history.

There is neither knowledge of the Spurs nor the NBA in this clown's article. NONE.

The Spurs actually have a bunch of pretty young players in their rotation. Manu and Tim are old yes, but Ginobili is not that far off from his prime and had a really good year.

The Pacers have a couple of really good players, but they were a low seed in a bad conference. The Pacers are not known as being a really good organization like the Spurs are.

In fact, the Spurs acumen allowed the 26th pick in the 2008 draft to be turned into a pick just outside the lottery along with the rights to a couple of potential future players as well three years later.

SenorSpur
06-26-2011, 03:03 PM
He's the former voice of the San Diego Chargers and was once the most popular radio sportstalk host in SoCal.

Time, however, wasn't kind to Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton. He was too much into sports and not enough into culture, not hip enough.

He was ridiculed mercilessly by his former stablemate at XTRA Sports 690, Jim Rome.

"Good night now," was his signature phrase and Rome turned it into a joke.

Rome called "Hacksaw" "Butterknife."

His bad toupee (he did local TV sports in San Diego) was legendary.

A San Diego homer is the best way to describe him. A once proud figure put out to pasture.

Well, that pretty much explains it.

Thanks for posting this information about this nimrod.

objective
06-26-2011, 03:19 PM
something that he's right about though he just ponders it among many reasons is that Leonard dropped due to his agent. It's like a good example of how to harm your client's earning ability on his first contract.

Yes, there was the combine issue where he didn't participate, then did his measurements ice cold with no warm-up, then shot alone in a gym probably without his agent's knowledge.

But denying workouts to teams really was the nail in his coffin and all but guaranteed his slide.

Lon Babby was on PHX radio (http://icestream.bonnint.net:8000/az/audio/2011/06/06242011094153.mp3) and basically said that the reason they chose Morris over Leonard was because Leonard refused to workout for them and they took him completely off their board as a result. He said that when you as a player do that, you "disqualify yourself". And of course Morris was enthusiastic about becoming a Sun going back to Chicago.

k_nguyen93
06-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Nice pickup on that Phoenix interview. Besides the explanations given here, nobody has really even questioned why the guy dropped so low. I follow a bunch of beat writers and there were strong indications that Toronto or Washington at 5 and 6 wanted to go with Kawhi who is more of a sure thing than the Euros they ended up taking. I think its a case of his agent saying one of those two teams is going to pick you, so don't work out too much for teams after that because you're guaranteed to be picked in the lottery by teams who see you drop. I just think that Bismarck and Thompson picks left a lot of players that teams specifically targeted on the board and they would rather go with a guy they scouted over someone nobody thought would be there.

Solid D
06-26-2011, 03:51 PM
The Pacers haven't established who their head coach is going to be for next season, yet...even after the draft. Sad article.

PICK-N-ROLL
06-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Not a night in a side alley, with broken lights, and probably a broken heart.

Never been to San Antonio but :lmao .

gotta be Cherry Street on the east side, not that i've been there (lately) :perv:

scottspurs
06-26-2011, 04:30 PM
That was a good laugh

itzsoweezee
06-26-2011, 05:12 PM
I think the author is completely right on one point: this Spurs team is not the team you want to go to as a rookie. On a scrub team, he could get a ton of minutes and produce right away. On the Spurs, he'll just be a cog on a fading team. Just look at what Popovich has turned Jefferson into. In the long run, Leonard will earn less throughout his career having started out in San Antonio.

He's paying the price for the Spurs front office/coaching blunders, unfortunately.

pgardn
06-26-2011, 07:05 PM

Thats a bingo.

Nailed.

pgardn
06-26-2011, 07:09 PM
"Kawhi Leonard will have to prove himself all over again,"

what NBA rookie doesn't have to do the same?

Especially in this draft.

There is no "Waiting For Oden".

2centsworth
06-26-2011, 07:32 PM

Agreed.

DAF86
06-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Leonard is a SF or PF? The guy in the article seems to imply that KL is a PF.

k_nguyen93
06-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Leonard is a SF or PF? The guy in the article seems to imply that KL is a PF.

He is a SF. /end discussion.

k_nguyen93
06-26-2011, 08:37 PM
I think the author is completely right on one point: this Spurs team is not the team you want to go to as a rookie. On a scrub team, he could get a ton of minutes and produce right away. On the Spurs, he'll just be a cog on a fading team. Just look at what Popovich has turned Jefferson into. In the long run, Leonard will earn less throughout his career having started out in San Antonio.

He's paying the price for the Spurs front office/coaching blunders, unfortunately.

That's true, you then make argument bad teams with talented players stay that way because there is no stablity/good coaching staff to help them progress. Not sure he would have gotten minutes in Indiana to be honest. Already got a lot of big men projects.

Sean Cagney
06-26-2011, 10:11 PM
GOT ON THERE AND LET THIS IDIOT HAVE IT TOO! He is just too dumb to even write.

joshdaboss
06-27-2011, 05:41 AM
lol @ James Gist Jr. deserving more than a Spurs team with the #1 record in the West last year.

Fabbs
06-27-2011, 08:29 AM
Maybe he thinks he is also one of Americas *Top* Models?
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/nctimes.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/5/d3/d35/5d3d3582-c821-5585-a488-744335099336-revisions/4ca57cd419db8.image.jpg
http://www.whyfame.com/gossip/2009/march/16/riot_at_the_12th_cycle_of_americas_next_top_model_ auditions_main_10276.jpg

cheguevara
06-27-2011, 09:01 AM

:rolleyes

this kid could take minutes from Dick. It's just up to him.

cheguevara
06-27-2011, 09:01 AM
:lol at the comments section of the article. dude gets owned

xellos88330
06-27-2011, 09:29 AM
:lol at the comments section of the article. dude gets owned

I didn't read the article after the first paragraph. I just immediately went down to the comments. Shit was hilarious!

ElNono
06-27-2011, 09:36 AM
lol @ those comments

Y'all need to stop trolling :lol

ElNono
06-27-2011, 09:38 AM
You put the "hack" in "Hacksaw."

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

K-State Spur
06-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Eh. The world's 53,451st best garbage man has equal credentials to have an opinion on the NBA draft as anybody in sports talk.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-28-2011, 04:31 PM
The comments section of that article was hysterical. Loved it! :lol

Baseline
06-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Listen to Lee Hamilton off and on. He's pretty full of himself and fairly incompetent like most media, but he's not that far off on this article.

1. Yes, as is the requirement to be in SoCal radio, he is a Laker Brownozer. Not nearly as severe as other thos, notably the gagging "Loose Cannons." Vic the Brick Jacobs, ex Faker Michelle Thompsan etc.

2. I agree with Kori, i doubt Leonard is bummed about coming to the Spurs. He may be bummed about *dropping* to 15 tho. Altho that is a joke, Leonard is not all the kool aid drinkers are hyping him up to be. This years draft is one of the most weak assed in memory so even **if** he would have gone higher, he's not all that. Lets hope he developes.

This part of the article is very true:
Maybe it was Leonard's frame, and the question if he could be an explosive leaper, going against bigger and more athletic power forwards. Maybe it was the lack of a true offensive game, outside shooting to the point. Maybe the put back baskets he got against BYU or others in the Mountain West Conference teams, would wind up as blocked shots and rejections against the leapers down around the block in the NBA.

Lee Hamilton takes himself so seriously that he does that "Breaking News" thing (with accompanying music) like he's delivering his tidbits from a soundproof room at the Pentagon. He embodies the smug disposition of SoCal radio personalities, who exude an air of superiority, as well as incredulity when their teams lose...namely the Lakers.

And I totally agree with Fabbs, in that 99% of LA radio personalities are incorrigble in their purple and gold love, and in their inability to see clearly on any NBA-related topic. As Fabbs pointed out, the list includes the "Loose Cannons," Vic the Brick Jacobs, the ever-so-smug Michal Thompson, etc. But by far the worst of them all is John Ireland, who in addition to looking like an alien, has the most annoying voice in the history of radio waves. How John Ireland has a job in sports is indeed the eight wonder of the world.

BlackBellamy
06-29-2011, 01:30 PM
"You're right, this aging Spurs team is obviously trying to cling on to past glory. Kind of like a pathetic sports writer who wears a horrible toupee to cover up his melon head, to make an abstract comparison."