PDA

View Full Version : Bucks were loaned out 55 million dollars from the NBA

InRareForm
06-26-2011, 08:05 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2011-06-26/milwaukee-bucks-borrowed-55-million-from-the-nba-last-season

Killakobe81
06-26-2011, 10:29 PM
We wont see basketball ANYTIME soon ...

4>0rings
06-26-2011, 10:30 PM
:lmao

I think basketball's done for a few years.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-26-2011, 10:35 PM
It's obvious, teams like Minnesota, Milwaukee and Toronto need to go. These cities can't support an NBA team.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-26-2011, 10:37 PM
And why the fuck is a team like Milwaukee that's been losing money for years doing shit like giving Drew Gooden a 30,000,000+ contract? These owners have no one to blame but themselves.

rayjayjohnson
06-26-2011, 10:49 PM
lol michael redd
lol john salmons
lol gooden
lol horrible contracts

fear the deer?
fuck the bucks.

DMC
06-26-2011, 11:35 PM
lol having a mascot that gets targeted the same time every season and never learns.

DMC
06-26-2011, 11:36 PM
It's obvious, teams like Minnesota, Milwaukee and Toronto need to go. These cities can't support an NBA team.

And New Orleans....

In fact, 20 teams total, 10 in each conference. Keep best players to fill those rosters, fuck the rest.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-26-2011, 11:42 PM
And New Orleans....

In fact, 20 teams total, 10 in each conference. Keep best players to fill those rosters, fuck the rest.
Agreed, the NBA taking a nose dive is largely due to how expansion crazy the league went in the 90s. It thinned out the league's talent level and made it so teams could be severely flawed and win championships.

boutons_deux
06-27-2011, 03:12 AM
"teams could be severely flawed and win championships."

and 1000 of (30 x 82)/2 total games per season would be pro-forma "games" without any interest or effort by the players,

and forces the abomination of B2Bs which cheat both the players and the fans out of quality basketball.

Slomo
06-27-2011, 05:29 AM
Who owns the Bradley center?

I'm asking because I know it recently went through a major refit.

Ice009
06-27-2011, 06:18 AM
And why the fuck is a team like Milwaukee that's been losing money for years doing shit like giving Drew Gooden a 30,000,000+ contract? These owners have no one to blame but themselves.

Didn't Dallas give him that contract? LOL yet another fuckup by Dallas.

Spurs wouldn't even give him minimum let alone that much money. Cuban is lucky Dallas won it all this season with the piss poor decisions that guy makes. Is he really that good of an owner? He seems to just throw money around. Fortunately this time it stuck and he got the right combination of players to surround Dirk with.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Didn't the current Hornets situation start with Shin getting in deep on these kind of loans?

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-27-2011, 08:55 AM
No, they didn't. They gave him a partially guaranteed 1 year deal around 4 million and traded him midseason. He then signed with Milwaukee for that ridiculous contract in the off season.

Mel_13
06-27-2011, 09:02 AM
So, in retrospect, signing Gooden and Salmons to contracts totaling over 70M and trading Gadzuric' expiring contract for Maggette may not have been fiscally responsible decisions?

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-27-2011, 09:09 AM
So, in retrospect, signing Gooden and Salmons to contracts totaling over 70M and trading Gadzuric' expiring contract for Maggette may not have been fiscally responsible decisions?
All of these owners whining about how the MLE needs to be gone and how they need a hard salary cap only have themselves to blame, and they're basically saying the CBA needs to save them from their own stupidity.

Look at Sarver for example. He's basically the leader of the pack of owners campaigning for a hard salary cap, franchise tags, and the MLE to be gone less than a year after he maxed out his MLE to give Channing fucking Frye a $30,000,000 contract. It's extremely hypocritical.

Mel_13
06-27-2011, 09:12 AM
All of these owners whining about how the MLE needs to be gone and how they need a hard salary cap only have themselves to blame, and they're basically saying the CBA needs to save them from their own stupidity.

Look at Sarver for example. He's basically the leader of the pack of owners campaigning for a hard salary cap, franchise tags, and the MLE to be gone less than a year after he maxed out his MLE to give Channing fucking Frye a $30,000,000 contract. It's extremely hypocritical.

Bingo

dbestpro
06-27-2011, 10:16 AM
When you are on a board you are subject to the actions of other board members and sometimes do things that are not in your own best interests. This is what has been happening for years with a few teams holding serve on the ownership group.
Well, the losses have now affected enough teams that most owners will be better off financially by not playing the games. The longer the delay the better it is for the majority of owners financially.

This is no way to manage a business and regardless of past business mistakes the owners will either get their way or simple wait and enjoy the cut in losses. Meanwhile, NBA players expect to get lots of love from Europe, which will only result in a rare gimmick signing or an array of bounced checks.

pass1st
06-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Loans have to be paid back, don't they?

ElNono
06-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Loans have to be paid back, don't they?

He's a US Senator... that comes with some, ahem, privileges...

davethedope
06-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Also, in addition to the above suggestions, the NBA needs to stop drafting players
who haven't graduated from college. That along with the large number of useless teams
has also watered down the quality of competition. Too many young guys playing
like college players.

pass1st
06-27-2011, 01:23 PM
I wish they let high school players back in

Jodelo
06-27-2011, 02:44 PM

http://aksysgames.com/wp-content/uploads/double-facepalm.jpg

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-27-2011, 03:08 PM
I actually agree with Dave about the college game. There can't be any guarantees in drafting a 19 year old kid. Teams that are in the lottery year after year stay there with so few guys living up to their potential within their first two or three years in the league because they're still growing as men and as basketball players. Plus, the way college has become there's fewer and fewer sure things even with the guys who stick around for three or four years. With all the top talent jumping so quickly top juniors and seniors may be shining against depleted competition, other upperclassmen who just weren't good enough to go pro and underclassmen who are just waiting for the chance to do so.

Sadly I don't see any real way to keep the players there. Even if the league were to put a rule forcing them to put in 4 years before they could be drafted there's nothing to stop them from jumping to the Euros instead, watering down the talent pool even worse. It's an ugly truth but I think contraction's the only option right now if they're serious about rebuilding the overall quality of their teams and their product.

Ice009
06-27-2011, 08:20 PM
http://aksysgames.com/wp-content/uploads/double-facepalm.jpg

What's the face palm for? Someone put up a list of the Dallas Mavericks draft picks over the last 10 seasons the other day and they were absolutely shocking. lol I can't believe how shitty a lot of those draft picks were.

Looking at it now, if Cuban had say Peter Holt's budget Dallas would probably suck bad and Dirk would have left ages ago. Cuban spends a lot of money and most of the time it doesn't work, well not until this season anyway. When you look at it he just seems to throw money around and see if it sticks.

Brendan Haywood is another horrible contract.

Like DOK said the owners need someone to save them from their own stupidity. There should definitely be a hard cap IMO that you can't go over.

Killakobe81
06-27-2011, 08:44 PM

this ...

Killakobe81
06-27-2011, 08:45 PM
lol having a mascot that gets targeted the same time every season and never learns.

to be fair, the big point bucks are the smarter ones that have survived many a hunting season ....but I get your point ...

Ice009
06-27-2011, 09:17 PM
this ...

Again, I am pretty sure it was Dallas that gave Drew Gooden that contract. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Jodelo
06-28-2011, 06:03 AM
What's the face palm for? Someone put up a list of the Dallas Mavericks draft picks over the last 10 seasons the other day and they were absolutely shocking. lol I can't believe how shitty a lot of those draft picks were.

Looking at it now, if Cuban had say Peter Holt's budget Dallas would probably suck bad and Dirk would have left ages ago. Cuban spends a lot of money and most of the time it doesn't work, well not until this season anyway. When you look at it he just seems to throw money around and see if it sticks.

Brendan Haywood is another horrible contract.

Like DOK said the owners need someone to save them from their own stupidity. There should definitely be a hard cap IMO that you can't go over.

Only for you. Posted a rant about Cuban giving Gooden the contract, but Dallas did not. They traded him in January, wanted him back but went to the Bucks for this nice little money. So next time before shouting maybe check the facts?

Just a suggestion...

Ice009
06-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Only for you. Posted a rant about Cuban giving Gooden the contract, but Dallas did not. They traded him in January, wanted him back but went to the Bucks for this nice little money. So next time before shouting maybe check the facts?

Just a suggestion...

Alright, I looked it up and it appears it was a one year deal worth between 4.5-5 million. You could have actually explained that. I had no problem with someone correcting me. Either way that's still too much for Gooden. Spurs wouldn't have even offered him more than the minimum yet Cuban throws almost mid level exception money at him. 40 million for Shawn Marion, 25 million for Jason Kidd. Way too much money IMO. Isn't Haywood making 10 million or something as well? If the Mavs didn't win it all last season it those contracts would really be horrible.

Jodelo
06-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Alright, I looked it up and it appears it was a one year deal worth between 4.5-5 million. You could have actually explained that. I had no problem with someone correcting me. Either way that's still too much for Gooden. Spurs wouldn't have even offered him more than the minimum yet Cuban throws almost mid level exception money at him. 40 million for Shawn Marion, 25 million for Jason Kidd. Way too much money IMO. Isn't Haywood making 10 million or something as well? If the Mavs didn't win it all last season it those contracts would really be horrible.

Get your facts straight. It was a 1.6m deal or something in that area which would had become those 4.5-5m if he stayed at Dallas the whole season but he didn´t...

Haywood´s last year is unguarenteed like the Dampier contract was.

Kidd and Marion just helped Dallas to win a ring although the contract for Marion is a bit too much but who cares!

Ashy Larry
06-28-2011, 11:36 AM
sell your team. seems like dude can't afford it.

Ice009
06-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Get your facts straight. It was a 1.6m deal or something in that area which would had become those 4.5-5m if he stayed at Dallas the whole season but he didn´t...

Haywood´s last year is unguarenteed like the Dampier contract was.

Kidd and Marion just helped Dallas to win a ring although the contract for Marion is a bit too much but who cares!

Can you give me a link? I got my info from here http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4356529 maybe that article is wrong, but it says a guaranteed 4.5 million.

What does the last year of Haywoods contract not being guaranteed have to do with him being overpaid?

Who cares about the Kidd and Marion contracts? lol typical fan that doesn't care since it's not his money. If you had never won the championship then I am sure you all would be pissed off at those contracts.

Too many players are getting overpaid in the NBA and that is not the players fault. The owners are the ones that keep fucking up and giving out these ridiculous contracts. Why should the CBA have to be reworked to save them from their stupidity? They should have to pay double for signing average players. Have a tax on owners giving out dumb contracts ;).

I think the salary cap should still be around 60 million, but the owners simply have to learn to spend their money more wisely. They should not be bailed out by the CBA for their idiocy.

dbreiden83080
06-29-2011, 10:49 PM
So close the franchise down..

dbreiden83080
06-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Why keep teams around that need the NBA $$$ to keep them afloat?? A new CBA won't make them suddenly profitable..

jacobdrj
06-30-2011, 01:15 PM
I actually agree with Dave about the college game. There can't be any guarantees in drafting a 19 year old kid. Teams that are in the lottery year after year stay there with so few guys living up to their potential within their first two or three years in the league because they're still growing as men and as basketball players. Plus, the way college has become there's fewer and fewer sure things even with the guys who stick around for three or four years. With all the top talent jumping so quickly top juniors and seniors may be shining against depleted competition, other upperclassmen who just weren't good enough to go pro and underclassmen who are just waiting for the chance to do so.

Sadly I don't see any real way to keep the players there. Even if the league were to put a rule forcing them to put in 4 years before they could be drafted there's nothing to stop them from jumping to the Euros instead, watering down the talent pool even worse. It's an ugly truth but I think contraction's the only option right now if they're serious about rebuilding the overall quality of their teams and their product.

It is simple: Stop calling them student athletes. Call them paid interns/co-ops. Pay them openly, based on market forces, in what would amount to a minor league system, and they will stay...