Bruno
06-27-2011, 05:18 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_david_west.jpg
Born: Aug 29, 1980
Height: 6-9 / 2.06
Weight: 240 lbs. / 108.9 kg.
College: Xavier
Years Pro: 8

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/david_west/career_stats.html)

mountainballer
06-27-2011, 05:38 AM
might be good news for Spurs.
a big extension for West will significantly reduce the Hornets ability to re sign Landry.

btw. if there was a realistic chance to get West (there isn't) I would love to see him at the Spurs. even considering the injury he should have 3 good seasons left.

Mel_13
06-27-2011, 06:57 AM
might be good news for Spurs.
a big extension for West will significantly reduce the Hornets ability to re sign Landry.

btw. if there was a realistic chance to get West (there isn't) I would love to see him at the Spurs. even considering the injury he should have 3 good seasons left.

Good point about Landry's availability if they decide to pay to keep West.

tdunk21
06-27-2011, 07:44 AM
IF we can sign west, IMO he is a definite starter along with timmy....

Tyrone Jenkins
06-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Sign him w/ what, pixie sticks?

The Spurs by all accounts will be over the cap w/ their current roster. They will only have exceptions (mid level, trade, rookie) left. West will go for way more than the mid-level exception...

The only way for the Spurs to sign anyone for more than mid-level will be to cut salary (that means trade someone w/ a big salary to a team that can absorb it) for future draft pics or cheaper players.

Mel_13
06-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Other than contenders, who would be interested in West? West opting out of 7.5 million after an ACL surgery means he wants to go to a contender. What contender has more than the MLE? If David West is the only player the Spurs go after it wouldn't be great, but it wouldn't be terrible if the Spurs got him and just added a couple rookies.

We'll see what the new CBA brings, but do you really need a list of West-caliber players signed to huge contracts by non-contenders?

Tyrone Jenkins
06-27-2011, 09:16 AM
My sentiments exactly.

Corey Magette was sought after at the end of the 08 seasons by both the Laker and the Spurs. Both had the MLE to offer. He turned both down to go to Golden State. That was while he was 28 yrs old and in his 9th season.

I have no idea why players turn down about 2-3 million less to go to some junk team but they do it. Often.

Mel_13
06-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Granted there will be teams that throw money at him, but I don't see why he would risk 7.5 million if he didn't want to go to a contender for less. He'll probably go to LA though.

He'll be 31 before the next season starts. I think he's looking to maximize his last contract and will be motivated by dollar signs more than W-L records.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Sadly. I think West will be fine taking less to win. He still has a few years left and it would be a shame to waste it in Minnisota.

Perhaps you're right.

But there is one other point that some seem to forget (especially Spurs fans). Actually, it's the 30 ton elephant in the room that no-one seems to be talking about except for TP.

That's the fact that the Spurs aren't currently contstructed to win a title this upcoming year or perhaps in the next 3 years. And, I doubt David West, or anyone else for that matter, thinks he is the one missing piece. I certainly don't and neither should you.

So, as much as I hate to admit it, the Spurs aren't a legit contender. If I were him, I'd consider Orlando, OKC or quite possibly New Jersey. I definitely wouldn't take less money to go to SA...

Tyrone Jenkins
06-27-2011, 10:03 AM
We'll see what the Spurs do. The one thing Tony has that is attractive to teams is a long term, relatively cheap contract. I personally believe a Deron Williams and Travis Outlaw trade for Parker and Jefferson is possible.

I sure hope you're right

kobyz
06-27-2011, 10:18 AM
don't act like there any chance to sign him, he's getting at least $10 million a year, if Hornets don't re-sign him his options will be Indiana, New Jersey or Sacramento who have the money space.

kobyz
06-27-2011, 10:25 AM
only option to get him is by achieve a sign and trade for him and giving in such trade Antonio McDyess, DeJuan Blair/Tiago Splitter and James Anderson

ace3g
06-27-2011, 10:33 AM
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Two teams that'll be active with David West in free agency: Indiana and New Jersey. For the Nets, especially if they lose Kris Humphries.

Doctors have told West that his knee should be 100 percent for a return on November 1, Young said.

West, who's rehabbing ACL injury, would've earned $7.5M next season. Hornets offered extension, but West always wanted free agency.

"David wants to win, whether it's in New Orleans or someplace else," agent Lance Young tells Y! " He wouldn't rule out re-signing with NOLA.

Young: "He wants a fair shot to look and see what else is out there...He's loved the Hornets. It's about finding the perfect place to win."

mountainballer
06-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Other than contenders, who would be interested in West? West opting out of 7.5 million after an ACL surgery means he wants to go to a contender. What contender has more than the MLE? If David West is the only player the Spurs go after it wouldn't be great, but it wouldn't be terrible if the Spurs got him and just added a couple rookies.

opting out just means he wants a new long term contract and this before a new CBA is in place. pretty sure we will learn that he agrees with the Hornets for (my guess) 3 years and 25-30 million in the next 3 days.

if he in fact was looking for just a MLE type contract (not knowing what this will be worth at all) and wants to go to a contender, it's
a: not the Spurs, b/c they are not ranked contender around the league and b: not the Spurs, b/c there is likely still some bad blood from the 2008 PO.

k_nguyen93
06-27-2011, 11:30 AM
There might not be a mid level exception in new CBA fyi. I really don't see him signing for that little though.

TDMVPDPOY
06-27-2011, 11:33 AM
indian has like 20-25m under the cap to fck around with, i dunno why d12 isnt on their list...they got a fkn strong team

Mugen
06-27-2011, 11:38 AM
RJ/Blair/Dice/Nando De Colo or some other filler for West/Ariza

no brainer for the spurs but maybe NO does it to get a promising young big in DeJuan. RJ probably fits better in their style of offense than Ariza...NO does t hat rather than risk losing West for nothing....

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2011, 11:46 AM
He'll be 31 before the next season starts. I think he's looking to maximize his last contract and will be motivated by dollar signs more than W-L records.

Exactly. :tu

GSH
06-27-2011, 12:00 PM
West had an option for this season that would have paid $7.5M. He expects to get more than that, and probably will. More importantly, he expects an extension that would pay significantly more than one based on that $7.5M per season. No chance he signs for MLE money, and we don't have the pieces for a sign and trade (without crippling the team completely). In other words, we can't afford him.

We're in salary hell, folks.

Cane
06-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Even if the Spurs could get him, I wouldn't like David West.

He's one of the best midrange shooters in the league but he's still too short and doesn't have the defensive ability to really improve the Spurs chances against guys like Gasol, LMA, etc. When it comes to make-believe acquisitions I would rather gamble on Varejao due to his size, hustle, chemistry with Tiago, and defensive abilities.

Thompson
06-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Maybe if the Hornets were desperate enough (because no one wants to go there) West sign-and-trade for Jefferson/Blair.

We'd be overpaying a bit for West, but we'd be switching him for RJ.

I don't think the Hornets would do it at all, unless they were really in a bind for free agents and they thought Jefferson would do better with Paul at point guard. Not gonna happen, I know.

SenorSpur
06-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Even if the Spurs could get him, I wouldn't like David West.

He's one of the best midrange shooters in the league but he's still too short and doesn't have the defensive ability to really improve the Spurs chances against guys like Gasol, LMA, etc. When it comes to make-believe acquisitions I would rather gamble on Varejao due to his size, hustle, chemistry with Tiago, and defensive abilities.

He's going to cost a good sum of money, he's coming off a serious knee injury AND he's never shown much interest in defending. Pass.

DesignatedT
06-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Yahoo!'s Adrian Wojnarowski reports that the Indiana Pacers and New Jersey Nets will register interest in David West