PDA

View Full Version : New Wilco Single

ohmwrecker
06-27-2011, 10:54 AM
New single, Nick Lowe cover and some live teasers of songs from the new record.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifier/89374/hear-a-whole-bunch-of-new-wilco-songs/

clambake
06-27-2011, 11:01 AM
:vomit:

redzero
06-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Jeff Tweedy should bring back Jim O'Rourke to produce Wilco's next album.

ohmwrecker
06-27-2011, 11:14 AM
A Ghost Is Born is my favorite Wilco record, but I don't need to hear another one just like it. It's silly to expect a band's sound to stay the same year after year . . . and why would you want them to? I just don't get that mentality, tbh.

redzero
06-27-2011, 11:15 AM
I don't want them to sound exactly the same. I just want them to be better.

Jeff Tweedy + Jim O'Rourke = better music

That's a scientific fact.

ohmwrecker
06-27-2011, 11:24 AM
I don't want them to sound exactly the same. I just want them to be better.

Jeff Tweedy + Jim O'Rourke = better music

That's a scientific fact.

I agree SKB and Wilco (The Album) were not as good as Summerteeth, YHF and Ghost, but they weren't bad records. Tweedy's writing has changed into a more open, expansive style, because they are, for the most part, a touring rock band. That's how they make their living. The songs are a reflection of that. A lot of the songs off the last two records sound better live. They become more fully realized in that setting.

lil'mo
06-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Can we PLEASE get a shitty music forum?

redzero
06-27-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm sorry, but Led Zeppelin are gone and they aren't coming back.

Monostradamus
06-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Their last album blew. I was one of the few it seems that really liked Sky Blue Sky tho.

Monostradamus
06-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Nels Cline is great but his arrival did spark the downfall of Jeff Tweedy into his current obsession with guitar wankery.

redzero
06-27-2011, 04:20 PM
I enjoyed Wilco's last two albums, but not as much as Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost Is Born. I think the latter is underrated. It has some great songs on it (Handshake Drugs, Spiders, Company In My Back). If the last 12 minutes of Less Than You Think were removed (because they were pointless), I think people might like the album more.

CuckingFunt
06-27-2011, 06:13 PM
I'm sorry, but Led Zeppelin are gone and they aren't coming back.

Not so. Some friends and I saw a Led Zepplin cover band at the House of Blues a couple nights ago for shits and giggles and according to the skeevie 50(+)-year-olds who made up the majority of the audience, they're as big as they ever were.

ididnotnothat
06-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Not so. Some friends and I saw a Led Zepplin cover band at the House of Blues a couple nights ago for shits and giggles and according to the skeevie 50(+)-year-olds who made up the majority of the audience, they're as big as they ever were.

I was jamming to Zep all weekend long.

Monostradamus
06-27-2011, 06:49 PM
tbh I'd gladly cut a few years off the end of my life if I never had to hear another Zeppelin song ever again, especially Kashmir or Black Dog. Not that I hate them, just that I've heard their songs so fucking much.

ohmwrecker
06-27-2011, 07:35 PM
If the last 12 minutes of Less Than You Think were removed (because they were pointless), I think people might like the album more.

It's not that hard to listen to that record while avoiding the 12 minute "soundscape".

Nels Cline is great but his arrival did spark the downfall of Jeff Tweedy into his current obsession with guitar wankery.

I think Jim O'Rourke is more responsible for what you are referring to as "wankery" and since A Ghost Is Born is my personal favorite, I welcome that.

They've always been a guitar band, though.

Monostradamus
06-27-2011, 08:03 PM
I think Jim O'Rourke is more responsible for what you are referring to as "wankery" and since A Ghost Is Born is my personal favorite, I welcome that.

The guitar wankery didn't go into full effect until Sky Blue Sky, so no, it didn't have shit to do with Jim O'Rourke. Other than a few moments on Ghost, I have no clue how you'd surmise that record is at all full of guitar wankery. In interviews Jeff Tweedy has even said he didn't really know how to play guitar until he met Nels Cline.

IronMexican
06-27-2011, 08:08 PM
This song sucks. Man, that sucks.

ohmwrecker
06-28-2011, 04:16 AM
The guitar wankery didn't go into full effect until Sky Blue Sky, so no, it didn't have shit to do with Jim O'Rourke. Other than a few moments on Ghost, I have no clue how you'd surmise that record is at all full of guitar wankery. In interviews Jeff Tweedy has even said he didn't really know how to play guitar until he met Nels Cline.

It's a pretty well-established fact that Jim O'Rourke is responsible for encouraging Jeff Tweedy to experiment and expand his electric guitar playing on A Ghost Is Born as well as the Loose Fur records. Nels Cline might not even be in Wilco if it wasn't for Jim O'Rourke's influence.

I don't surmise anything of the sort. You are the one using the term which I do not agree with. I'm saying that Ghost (and O'Rourke's encouragement), was the impetus for the more expansive guitar sound that Wilco has employed since. Obviously his playing has evolved with Cline's influence, but the path was established before his involvement.

Your characterization of Sky Blue Sky is inaccurate and narrow. It's obvious to me that the songs on that record were written with the forethought that the would be played live (A few of them were already becoming live staples before the LP was recorded). What you are calling "wankery", to me, doesn't apply. There aren't any frivolous notes played. Every note has purpose. There is a lot of space between. When I hear the term guitar wank, I think of a player who is showing off technical skill without soul. Just playing a lot of notes that serve no purpose.

Their last album blew. I was one of the few it seems that really liked Sky Blue Sky tho.

btw, these two statements are totally contradictory.

HeadBanger
06-28-2011, 07:47 AM
tbh I'd gladly cut a few years off the end of my life if I never had to hear another Zeppelin song ever again, especially Kashmir or Black Dog. Not that I hate them, just that I've heard their songs so fucking much.

That is what makes them classics. One hit wonder bands of today suck and don't even get me started on that crap they call rap.

Jeff Leppard
06-28-2011, 10:43 AM
That is what makes them classics. One hit wonder bands of today suck and don't even get me started on that crap they call rap.

Fuckin' A right, bro! cRap "music" sucks! So does this wimp rock crap!

Monostradamus
06-28-2011, 03:59 PM
It's a pretty well-established fact that Jim O'Rourke is responsible for encouraging Jeff Tweedy to experiment and expand his electric guitar playing on A Ghost Is Born as well as the Loose Fur records. Nels Cline might not even be in Wilco if it wasn't for Jim O'Rourke's influence.

I don't surmise anything of the sort. You are the one using the term which I do not agree with. I'm saying that Ghost (and O'Rourke's encouragement), was the impetus for the more expansive guitar sound that Wilco has employed since. Obviously his playing has evolved with Cline's influence, but the path was established before his involvement.

Your characterization of Sky Blue Sky is inaccurate and narrow. It's obvious to me that the songs on that record were written with the forethought that the would be played live (A few of them were already becoming live staples before the LP was recorded). What you are calling "wankery", to me, doesn't apply. There aren't any frivolous notes played. Every note has purpose. There is a lot of space between. When I hear the term guitar wank, I think of a player who is showing off technical skill without soul. Just playing a lot of notes that serve no purpose.

Oh okay I didn't realize I was dealing with someone who masturbates to every little thing Jeff Tweedy does.

btw, these two statements are totally contradictory.

:lmao no they're not. Never did I say guitar wankery was always horrible. I liked Sky Blue Sky while recognizing that it's full of guitar wankery. Also, just because I like Sky Blue Sky doesn't mean I think it's anywhere near Wilco's best work, because it isn't, and the guitar wankery has something to do with that.

Monostradamus
06-28-2011, 04:00 PM
tbh I'll take Being There over anything else Wilco has done.

ohmwrecker
06-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Oh okay I didn't realize I was dealing with someone who masturbates to every little thing Jeff Tweedy does.

Eh, I'm a fan. You wanted to have this discussion on some level. I am trying to respond. This is just a cheap and easy insult to an honest reply.

:lmao no they're not. Never did I say guitar wankery was always horrible. I liked Sky Blue Sky while recognizing that it's full of guitar wankery. Also, just because I like Sky Blue Sky doesn't mean I think it's anywhere near Wilco's best work, because it isn't, and the guitar wankery has something to do with that.

I assumed a negative connotation to the term "guitar wankery". Seems logical to me. I also made no assumption as to what you view as Wilco's best work. There is a lot of guitar interplay between Cline, Sansone and Tweedy on Sky Blue Sky, but I find it musically akin to the Allman Brothers, or Television at times than anything I would consider to be "guitar wankery".

ohmwrecker
06-28-2011, 05:14 PM
tbh I'll take Being There over anything else Wilco has done.

It's a great record and still holds up pretty well. I think that each album got progressively better peaking at A Ghost Is Born. They seem to be on a bit of a downward slide, but I like all of them on some level. I'm hoping this new one will be a nice leap forward.

I will say. however, that when they play tracks from Being There live, with the current line-up, they are far superior to the original album versions.

thispego
06-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Lol this music is so shitty. Lol carrying on conversations about it. Get a life brahs

thispego
06-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Roger, wilco