PDA

View Full Version : Has Parkers trade value peaked and if so how much

Fabbs
06-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Obviously right after the 2007 Finals may have been Parkers best trade value, but that was the end of RealSpurs ball and the beggining of Lord Poppycocks Finley-Bonner-RJ centerpiece marriages.

Dec 2010 before the trade deadline was also a high value trade point imo.
Best record in league by far. Had we known (many of us suspected) Pop-a-Moron Playoff Version was going to again feature Matty Bonbon as a big and chain both Splitter to the bench and jack with the Blair rotation, well you got it -2 games won in the entire playoffs. Hail Lord Poppycock!

Moving fwd, now that he was reupped for 4 years and millions, imo it helped Parker go into mental slacker mode for the playoffs. Even if he was put on the trade block now, how much has his value slipped? Oh he'd still draw plenty of interest, I'm just asking when did he peak and how much has he dropped?

Leetonidas
06-27-2011, 11:23 AM
I think his highest value came after he proved he could lead the Spurs when Ginobili went down and Tim broke down towards the end of the season in 2009, he averaged 22 and 7 I believe, had his 55 point game that season as well iirc as well as a slew of games over 30 points.

I don't think his stock has dropped much because he had a great overall season last year but sucked in the series against Memphis (though, everyone did). He's become a very underrated point guard in the NBA, he's still a top 5-8 PG in the league and is on a very good contract. But the older he gets the less interested teams will be because while he's still pretty fast he's nothing like 19 year old TP who was easily the fastest player in the NBA.

Mr. Body
06-27-2011, 11:26 AM
It's certainly gone down now that they've traded his back-up away.

ducks
06-27-2011, 11:28 AM
I think tp value could raise more
why because his stats should go up because manu and duncan will not play as much so he will get more shots

coyotes_geek
06-27-2011, 11:29 AM
I'd say TP's peak trade value was the 09 offseason. He just had a career year, was 27 years old and still had a couple of years left on a fair contract.

ducks
he might not be as fast when he was 19
but he has much better outside then he did when he was 19 to

hater
tons of decent guards in the NBA in the last couple of years has contributed to TP value drop.

Budkin
06-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Honestly I'm glad we still have him.

Cane
06-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Probably peaked in 09. I can still remember making arguments that Parker was the third best PG in the NBA, :lol ! :depressed Damn he had a high PER and was scoring like a beast back then IIRC

Even with the decent contract Parker has now, imo his value isn't that high especially in this era of guards. Also have to wonder if Parker sexting to an ex-teammates wife or being outplayed by Mike Conley (31 assists to 20 turnovers versus 37 assists to 13 turnovers) has an affect on his value as well.

He's still one of the best guards at finishing around the rim. Unfortunately his midrange jumper went back to being inconsistent this season. His overall PG game looked like it improved until he shot himself in the foot throughout the Memphis series.

Mel_13
06-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Tony's value peaked in the days before the 2009 draft.

With the Hill trade, the chances that Tony is traded this year have practically disappeared.

I can imagine one scenario where Tony is traded at the deadline:

1. Tim has told the Spurs that he will retire at the end of 2012.
2. Injuries or poor play make it obvious that the Spurs have no shot at competing for the title.
3. The Knicks have given up any hope at trading Billups for one of their prime targets to team with Amare and Melo.
4. Then the Spurs trade Parker and RJ to the Knicks for Billups/filler/and a young player plus future draft pick(s).
5. At the end of the 2011-12 season, that would leave the team with one more year on Manu's contract and a bunch of young players on smaller deals and in full blown rebuild mode.

Basketball Jones
06-27-2011, 12:02 PM
It has peaked and at this time unless a real good offer comes around he is a keeper for this season.

ElNono
06-27-2011, 12:04 PM
A bigger question is if Tony's play has peaked...

Mel_13
06-27-2011, 12:05 PM

cue the duck...

Basketball Power
06-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Parker played like SHIT in the playoffs, had he been even decent Spurs beat the Grizz. I think the Spurs got more value for Hill then they ever could get for Parker

Pauleta14
06-27-2011, 05:28 PM

This.

Not scoring wise, but in PLAYMAKING and LEADERSHIP...

The 2 most important skills of a PG and I still hope he can improve on these areas.
After all it has nothing to do with physical abilities so age won't prevent him to get better...

cantthinkofanything
06-27-2011, 05:43 PM
This.

Not scoring wise, but in PLAYMAKING and LEADERSHIP...

The 2 most important skills of a PG and I still hope he can improve on these areas.
After all it has nothing to do with physical abilities so age won't prevent him to get better...

I don't agree that playmaking isn't tied in with physical ability. I can't think of any great veteran playmakers that didn't start out that way. Tony has never really shown the ability to see the court like Kidd or Nash and probably never will.

As to beign a leader, I think it's along shot given his attitude and willingness to sleep with other players wives.

cd98
06-27-2011, 05:59 PM
At Tony's age, the only teams that will trade value for him are contending teams looking for a point guard as the last piece. For example, Portland before trading for Nelson.

Not a lot of teams that would pay a price for a player that will probably only play at an All Star level for another three years.

Fabbs
06-27-2011, 06:08 PM
At Tony's age, the only teams that will trade value for him are contending teams looking for a point guard as the last piece. For example, Portland before trading for Nelson.

Not a lot of teams that would pay a price for a player that will probably only play at an All Star level for another three years.
"All star level for another three years"? Teams would pay plenty for that.
But it's iffy if Parker will return to all star level for one more year, let alone 3.

But your point is well taken, probably only teams looking to add the final piece. But that can well happen. Knicks, Magic, Heat, Fakers (course they can just wait for another scam). Q is what will the legit teams give up?
Heat have nothing to offer. Knicks who knows.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Parker's value peaked after the 08-09 season. However, Parker was really good in the 10-11 season as well -- I think the Spurs considered it his best season in terms of all around game and leadership. One bad playoff series doesn't doom Parker. Parker has good trade value right now. But the Spurs aren't interested in trading Parker or Manu, unless it's a really awesome deal and includes RJ.

Pauleta14
06-27-2011, 06:48 PM
I don't agree that playmaking isn't tied in with physical ability. I can't think of any great veteran playmakers that didn't start out that way. Tony has never really shown the ability to see the court like Kidd or Nash and probably never will.

As to beign a leader, I think it's along shot given his attitude and willingness to sleep with other players wives.

:nope

First, TP has show multiple times that he is a great passer WHEN HE WANTS TO focus on that area.
The thing is that he doesn't do it as much as the best PGs, he usualy distribute in the 1st quarter/half, then, for whatever reason, he mainly focuses on the scoring...

Everybody (Pop include) agree that he had his best year (except PO) in the decision making area, the balance between scoring and passing.
It's far from prefect, but it's underated and there is no reason it's not going to get better if he focuses on that.

Then, for the phyical part, P&R, alley hoops and fast break passes can be improved in trainning without requiring more energy than any other training exercices...

Pauleta14
06-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Parker's value peaked after the 08-09 season. However, Parker was really good in the 10-11 season as well -- I think the Spurs considered it his best season in terms of all around game and leadership. One bad playoff series doesn't doom Parker. Parker has good trade value right now. But the Spurs aren't interested in trading Parker or Manu, unless it's a really awesome deal and includes RJ.

:wow

Really? any quotes?

I remember clearly the comments about the balance passing/scoring, but not about his leadership...

That's actually the main point that is "bothering" me about Tony, he is almost 30 and IMO still hasn't shown any real improvements in that area.

He is still not vocal, when on the bench stays "in his buble", doesn't cheer much and even on the FT line doesn't handshake...

Mel_13
06-27-2011, 07:01 PM
:wow

Really? any quotes?

I remember clearly the comments about the balance passing/scoring, but not about his leadership...

That's actually the main point that is "bothering" me about Tony, he is almost 30 and IMO still hasn't shown any real improvements in that area.

He is still not vocal, when on the bench stays "in his buble", doesn't cheer much and even on the FT line doesn't handshake...

Keep in mind that those 15 players spend an enormous amount of time together over the course of 7-8 months. Only a tiny portion of that time is on the court. Plenty of other opportunities to demonstrate leadership that we'll never see.

ace3g
06-27-2011, 09:43 PM
MaxSportsSA Maximum Sports
Tony Parker tells "20 Minutes" in France there's a 1 percent chance he'll play for his country this summer because of cost to insure him.

pancakechef
06-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Parkers value declines as Duncan's game declines. Similarly Pops coaching does too.

Pop has to realize that Tony IS NOT A 1/2 court PG without a great big man to run PNR with. Tony is too stupid and has too weak handles to do the scoring himself in iso.

Additionally his court vision blows.

If Pop runs him again, like this past reg season, Parker's numbers will increase (as all other spurs ESPECIALLY RJ). What I never understood this year was why we stopped running in the playoffs and tried to do the McDyess half court bull shit. Parker was a problem sure, but gameplan at the end of the season and in the playoffs with McShithead starting lost ALL OUR ABILITY TO RUN THE FLOOR

G-Dawgg
06-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Whether or not he's as quick as he used to be is irrelevant...He's still one of the quickest point guards in the league, his mid range game is solid, and he still gets the rim at will..

He's cultivated many skills that more than compensate for his loss of a 6th gear.

I think Parker still holds alot of value. There are only a handfull of elite point guards in this league and Parker's in that company...

If he played on a different team his numbers would be sick...

pancakechef
06-27-2011, 10:00 PM
You tell em G Dawgg. Turnovers and momentum killing plays mean nothing in the playoffs because the real action happens after the game. When both teams run sprints and relay races.

G-Dawgg
06-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Turnovers and bad plays are part of the game.... I've never seen a single player play a perfect series and never turn the ball over. You can't judge whether a player is good or not based on one series....

Parker is a tried, tested, and true champion. Check his resume..

pancakechef
06-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Then count the last year and make it two. Package him, Bonner, RJ and MCdyess.

Those guys have been worthless the past few playoffs.

I never said you had to play a perfect game. But you can't have a continually NEGATIVE impact on a series by how bad you play and WHEN you make bad plays.

joshdaboss
06-28-2011, 01:13 AM
2 things are obvious: #1) They aren't trading him. #2) He won't ever be even an average defender.

TDMVPDPOY
06-28-2011, 02:03 AM
the only thing obvious b4 last season, it looked like the clown wanted to head to a big market team to fullfill the cuckhold on him from his partner...then the shit with his personal life with the media, fck him is all i can say....whether that interrupted his play or the team, he shouldve been traded...

coming out and talkin about not believing in the team cant win, fck that shit...

G-Dawgg
06-28-2011, 04:50 AM
To be honest, as good as he is... I was hoping we were gonna get something good for him on draft day....

..instead we lost George

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-29-2011, 07:26 AM
Tony's value peaked in the days before the 2009 draft.

With the Hill trade, the chances that Tony is traded this year have practically disappeared.

I can imagine one scenario where Tony is traded at the deadline:

1. Tim has told the Spurs that he will retire at the end of 2012.
2. Injuries or poor play make it obvious that the Spurs have no shot at competing for the title.
3. The Knicks have given up any hope at trading Billups for one of their prime targets to team with Amare and Melo.
4. Then the Spurs trade Parker and RJ to the Knicks for Billups/filler/and a young player plus future draft pick(s).
5. At the end of the 2011-12 season, that would leave the team with one more year on Manu's contract and a bunch of young players on smaller deals and in full blown rebuild mode.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-29-2011, 07:34 AM
Another important factor - TP has nearly 900 NBA games on his legs, and for a PG who relies on speed that is not in his favour. He has also been battered a lot going to the rack during his career. He's likely to start to decline physically soon, so I'm not averse to trading him for a decent package. Whether or not one materialises is another matter.

TJastal
06-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Another important factor - TP has nearly 900 NBA games on his legs, and for a PG who relies on speed that is not in his favour. He has also been battered a lot going to the rack during his career. He's likely to start to decline physically soon, so I'm not averse to trading him for a decent package. Whether or not one materialises is another matter.

Spurs are up shit creek IMO. They have no bench bigs (unless you call Blair & Boner "bigs"). Their best trade asset for plugging multiple holes was Parker but instead they dumped Hill which only netted them a lottery pick, and given Pop's myriad of reasons for not playing rookies he'll most likely be useless for the spurs his 1st year, much like Splitter missing a few weeks of training camp became useless last year. Expect to see Blair as the "starting" center once again, with Boner as the main "big" coming in off the bench for about 25 minutes per game.