PDA

View Full Version : US Supreme Court: Video Games Qualify For First Amendment

ElNono
06-27-2011, 01:39 PM
US Supreme Court: Video Games Qualify For First Amendment
"The United States Supreme Court threw out a California law (http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/10pdf/08-1448.pdf) prohibiting the sale of violent video games to minors (http://law.justia.com/codes/california/2009/civ/1746-1746.5.html). Notable in the opinion is a historical review of the condemnation of "unworthy" material that would tend to corrupt children, starting with penny-novels and up through comic books and music lyrics. The opinion is also notable for the odd lineup of Justices that defies normal ideological lines, with one conservative and one liberal jurist dissenting on entirely different grounds. In the process, they continue the broad rule that the First Amendment does not vary with the technological means used: 'Video games qualify for First Amendment protection. Like protected books, plays, and movies, they communicate ideas through familiar literary devices and features distinctive to the medium. And the basic principles of freedom of speech... do not vary with a new and different communication medium.'"

Winehole23
06-27-2011, 02:13 PM
The cultural mainstream is hard libertarian.

In this case the Supreme Court apparently declines to defer to fogeyish pearl-clutching over community standards and mores, when it comes to the freedom of big business to sell profanity, violence and gratuitous vulgarity to an eager and discerning American public.

baseline bum
06-27-2011, 04:58 PM
It's kind of funny that the federal government stopped going after "violent video games" once they realized they could make their own first person shooter to drive up recruitment numbers for the army.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-27-2011, 05:25 PM
For my money the most objectionable content that I find in games are in the insults and threats that other gamers throw around on line. Gamers can differeniate between the game and the real world. That's why they play them. But when you have an actual human being on the other end of a broadband connection telling you that you're a piece of shit faggot who deserves to die for sniping him one too many times? That stings.

EVAY
06-27-2011, 06:41 PM
There is a huge amount of social sciences literature that shows that continual exposure to violent images reduces a human's ability to be moved by it. Having said that, it does come back to personal and parental responsibility to limit said exposure.

But, at the same time, cigarette advertising has certainly been modified by governmental intervention...emotional damage is harder to quantify than nicotine damage, I guess.

Tough going.

LnGrrrR
06-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Good ruling.

Winehole23
06-28-2011, 02:27 AM
But when you have an actual human being on the other end of a broadband connection telling you that you're a piece of shit faggot who deserves to die for sniping him one too many times? That stings.:rollin

vy65
06-28-2011, 10:07 AM
The cultural mainstream is hard libertarian.

In this case the Supreme Court apparently declines to defer to fogeyish pearl-clutching over community standards and mores, when it comes to the freedom of big business to sell profanity, violence and gratuitous vulgarity to an eager and discerning American public.

Did you bother reading the opinion? Or did you just throw this tired complaint out there?

LnGrrrR
06-28-2011, 12:04 PM
That's just Winehole's form of trolling. :lol

Winehole23
06-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Did you bother reading the opinion? Or did you just throw this tired complaint out there?It wasn't a complaint, and I just skimmed the article. Sue me.

Winehole23
Was there something in the decision you'd like to bring to our attention, or did you just want to have a slap fight with me?

Winehole23
(For the record, I'm cool with either)

ElNono
06-28-2011, 02:37 PM
I think parents need to be parents. You don't want your kid exposed to some material out there? Then do your job as a parent.

Winehole23
06-28-2011, 02:43 PM
That's just Winehole's form of trolling. :lolGet it straight: I do not have forms of trolling, I am pure troll.

Winehole23
06-28-2011, 03:05 PM
I think parents need to be parents. You don't want your kid exposed to some material out there? Then do your job as a parent.Amen.

JoeChalupa
06-28-2011, 03:12 PM
I think parents need to be parents. You don't want your kid exposed to some material out there? Then do your job as a parent.

I concur.

vy65
06-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Was there something in the decision you'd like to bring to our attention, or did you just want to have a slap fight with me?

pages 8-11 of the majority opinion and 75% of Alito's concurrence.

Winehole23
06-28-2011, 03:15 PM
For those of us who may not have read it yet, what does it say and do you have an opinion about what it says?

(in the meantime, I'll read it myself)

Agloco
06-28-2011, 03:19 PM
US Supreme Court: Video Games Qualify For First Amendment
"The United States Supreme Court threw out a California law (http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/10pdf/08-1448.pdf) prohibiting the sale of violent video games to minors (http://law.justia.com/codes/california/2009/civ/1746-1746.5.html). Notable in the opinion is a historical review of the condemnation of "unworthy" material that would tend to corrupt children, starting with penny-novels and up through comic books and music lyrics. The opinion is also notable for the odd lineup of Justices that defies normal ideological lines, with one conservative and one liberal jurist dissenting on entirely different grounds. In the process, they continue the broad rule that the First Amendment does not vary with the technological means used: 'Video games qualify for First Amendment protection. Like protected books, plays, and movies, they communicate ideas through familiar literary devices and features distinctive to the medium. And the basic principles of freedom of speech... do not vary with a new and different communication medium.'"

Aww man, I was hoping to get Uncle Sam to help me police my kids.

For my money the most objectionable content that I find in games are in the insults and threats that other gamers throw around on line. Gamers can differeniate between the game and the real world. That's why they play them. But when you have an actual human being on the other end of a broadband connection telling you that you're a piece of shit faggot who deserves to die for sniping him one too many times? That stings.

:lol

Winehole23
06-28-2011, 03:21 PM
JUSTICE ALITO’s argument highlights the precise danger posed by the California Act: that the ideas expressed by speech—whether it be violence, or gore, or racism—and not its objective effects, may be the real reason for governmental proscription.http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/10pdf/08-1448.pdf

Winehole23
06-28-2011, 03:26 PM
The compelling state interest fails under strict scrutiny and is overinclusive.

vy65
06-28-2011, 04:03 PM
For those of us who may not have read it yet, what does it say and do you have an opinion about what it says?

(in the meantime, I'll read it myself)

The idea that this case is mere pandering by the court to "big business" to pander violence and smut is ignorant of how the First Amendment has been historically deployed. Also, the idea that video games are mere "violence and gratuitous vulgarity" is uninformed and out of touch.

ElNono
06-28-2011, 04:15 PM
pages 8-11 of the majority opinion and 75% of Alito's concurrence.

I actually thought that Alito opened the door to perhaps narrow the law a bit in order to get it through. It's debatable wether such narrowing would make the law completely ineffective, but I thought his particular disagreement with the majority was noteworthy.

Winehole23
06-28-2011, 04:24 PM
The idea that this case is mere pandering by the court to "big business" to pander violence and smut is ignorant of how the First Amendment has been historically deployed. Also, the idea that video games are mere "violence and gratuitous vulgarity" is uninformed and out of touch.You're over-reading an offhand comment instead of responding to my more topical replies. Telling.

vy65
06-28-2011, 04:27 PM
I actually thought that Alito opened the door to perhaps narrow the law a bit in order to get it through. It's debatable wether such narrowing would make the law completely ineffective, but I thought his particular disagreement with the majority was noteworthy.

The part you mentions seems to be his attempt to analogize video games to a incitement -- which is unprotected. It's an interesting argument, and might have some validity, but that's a separate issue, is not really supported by scientific data, and still has to grapple with grapple with the constitutonal protection video games now receive. Long story short: Alito's approach wouldn't be accepted by the court.

vy65
06-28-2011, 04:28 PM
You're over-reading an offhand comment. Enjoy!

Your concession is duly noted.

Winehole23
06-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Your preference for slap fighting over topical discussion is also duly noted.

LnGrrrR
06-28-2011, 04:34 PM
I think it's rather obvious that video games should be protected, as many have artistic merit.

I think the larger question is, what decides whether or not a piece of art DOES have artistic merit? (Thinking of the old "comic code" here and how they banned pulp comics in the 40s/50s.)

vy65
06-28-2011, 04:38 PM
I think it's rather obvious that video games should be protected, as many have artistic merit.

I think the larger question is, what decides whether or not a piece of art DOES have artistic merit? (Thinking of the old "comic code" here and how they banned pulp comics in the 40s/50s.)

The Court has been pretty good about staying as far away from that question as possible. They try and do so by saying what is not entitled to protection as opposed to delineating what should be protected. It's like they have an easier time defining what is "not art" as opposed to what "is art."

But that's a slippery approach - and there are going to be some determinations of what counts as art when determining what isn't covered by the First Amendment. Nature of the beast I suppose.

But that's also not to say that conceptions of what is protected vs. not-protected can't change. If I remember right, the unprotected "fighting words" in the Chaplinksy case were something like "you're a goddamned communist." That shit's said like 20x a day on Fox News now ...

mingus
06-28-2011, 05:29 PM

exactly. block websites, don't buy them an x-box, etc. if you do buy them an x-box, monitor what they're playing. it's easy to do all that.

Agloco
06-28-2011, 06:08 PM
exactly. block websites, don't buy them an x-box, etc. if you do buy them an x-box, monitor what they're playing. it's easy to do all that.

What's not easy is monitoring what's going on when they're not with you (ie at school). And that's the part that really worries parents.

ElNono
06-28-2011, 06:41 PM
What's not easy is monitoring what's going on when they're not with you (ie at school). And that's the part that really worries parents.

Part of parenting is knowing who and what's around them. It isn't easy, but at the same time generations of people turned out ok without requiring a ban of violent art forms, etc.

Winehole23
02-23-2012, 03:58 AM
nm

Winehole23
02-23-2012, 03:58 AM
A bit over half a decade ago when California legislators felt entitled to protect children across their state by restricting sales of violent video games struck me as deeply amusing from the onset. Not because it would end up costing the state roughly $2 Million (http://www.ecollegetimes.com/student-life/failed-video-game-law-cost-california-2-million-1.2703374#.T0OmZYcgew0) in legal fees after a failed appeal all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court nor out of the sheer disregard for the First Amendment. But because the sheer bureaucratic arrogance on the parts of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jerry Brown, the Governor of California and State Attorney during this time in believing it was their responsibility to discern what content children should or shouldn’t have exposure.https://www.examiner.com/video-game-industry-in-national/california-s-struck-down-video-game-law-saddles-state-with-2-million-bill

RandomGuy
02-23-2012, 09:01 AM
the idea that video games are mere "violence and gratuitous vulgarity" is uninformed and out of touch.

yuppers.

Anyone interested in gaming should watch this:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/show/extra-credits

Based on your statement, I would guess you would probably like it.

They takle all sort of thorny issues in a sensible, mature manner.

The one on free speech is here:

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/free-speech

That said, there are some games where the violence is just gratuitous. When my boys get old enough, I am going to have a serious discussion with them about violence and so forth, and am laying the groundwork already.

At some point all that violence is, I think, unhealthy.

A little is all good fun once in a while, but a steady diet of it is like too much of anything, i.e. probably not good for you.

RandomGuy
02-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Video games as art:

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/art-is-not-the-opposite-of-fun

Winehole23
02-23-2012, 01:40 PM
FWIW, vy65 misconstrued my facetious initial post and hence my tone. I think the law was silly and a waste of money.

LnGrrrR
02-24-2012, 03:02 AM
Speaking of video games that are slightly more than being about violence, I'm looking forward to Mass Effect 3.

And the whole "video games as art" has taken huge steps lately with games like Braid.

Jacob1983
02-24-2012, 03:35 AM
So the word fag or the slang phrase "that's gay" can be in a video game? If that's true, Grant Hill will be heart broken.

Winehole23
02-24-2012, 04:58 AM
lol bragging about your gaydar

redzero
02-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Why do you want fun banned, Winehole?

Winehole23
02-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Why do you want fun banned, Winehole?that's a misconception

vy65
02-24-2012, 11:11 AM
FWIW, vy65 misconstrued my facetious initial post and hence my tone. I think the law was silly and a waste of money.

Yah I overreacted and didn't get a sense as to your facetiousness. My bad, dog.

Winehole23
02-24-2012, 11:22 AM
eh, my bad for attempting to "have fun" with it. the cues can be pretty hard to pick up online.