PDA

View Full Version : Change of perspective ?

venitian navigator
06-28-2011, 09:56 AM
If the news about Timmy are right (stays in the actual contract for being payed more than 21 millions next season) and the lock out miracolously end soon, I'm afraid a change of perspecive is needed.
The point is we are already over the cap, also cutting Dice contract in these next days...and our only hope to get something decent as a 2nd big in the market is via that contract...that's our best asset.

In case we have no chance of a good deal, Imho, it's time to start the young legs...also 'cause Manu, Parker (and Splitter) wil probably play with their respective national teams all the summer...and so will be exausted in november...and Timmy is 35.

Let's give a fair amount of minutes (and maybe also the starting five at the beginning of the season) to the good amount of young players we have (Anderson, Leonard, Richards...maybe Joseph, Green, Butler) ...for having an idea of what they could give us in the (possibly near) future.

Chucho
06-30-2011, 12:17 AM
How about let's not.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-30-2011, 02:33 AM
I'm pretty sure what this lot would give us if forcefed minutes at the begining of the season - a fucking awful start and a huge hole to climb out of.

venitian navigator
06-30-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm pretty sure what this lot would give us if forcefed minutes at the begining of the season - a fucking awful start and a huge hole to climb out of.

I really hope not...
Some of them are already partially experienced (Anderson, Green) others were seniors when they've been drafted (Butler, Leonard) so they're supposed to not be totally inexperienced...

As of now, if we just cut Dice contract, we already could have our 15 men...

(Parker - Manu - Rj - Bonner - Duncan)
(Neal - Anderson - Leonard - Blair - Splitter)
(Joseph - Butler - Green - Novak - Richards)

11 of them (12 if you consider Butler) were part of last year team, so they're not only experienced but also they already know (or should know) our system... that should be a huge advantage, expecially for the starting of next season.
The only real problem is that both our actual play makers (Parker, Manu) are the two that need to safeguard the minutes played, expecially at the beginning of the season...that's why the Joseph draft choice is a little weird to me : maybe could have been better a more experienced player as our third string pg (but maybe our F.O. has always seen something special in the guy...and let's consider that TP have became our starting pg in his rookie year over a more experienced Daniels after just 6 games of regular season).

However, in case you're right, that could be the definitive signal that re-bulding through next draft have to be considered a necessary step...

TheProfessor
06-30-2011, 09:13 AM
To be fair, it's not like getting 60+ wins last season put us in a great position to go far in the playoffs. I certainly wouldn't give minutes to someone like Ryan Richards, who is likely nowhere near contributing. But absorbing some early losses so that players like Splitter, Anderson, and Leonard can play through their mistakes and get comfortable in the rotation seems like a fair trade.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-30-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm not a fan of the idea that forcefeeding minutes to players who are not ready for said minutes is productive. IMO it is counterproductive. Of these players only Splitter can handle ~30 minutes night in night out, Leonard and Anderson about 15-20 max and Richards/Butler/Joseph/Green are a long way from contributing at all, if ever.

Leetonidas
06-30-2011, 09:56 AM
edit: nvm

TheProfessor
06-30-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm not a fan of the idea that forcefeeding minutes to players who are not ready for said minutes is productive. IMO it is counterproductive. Of these players only Splitter can handle ~30 minutes night in night out, Leonard and Anderson about 15-20 max and Richards/Butler/Joseph/Green are a long way from contributing at all, if ever.
I can see Green providing spot minutes, if need be. The others look about right, though their minutes should increase as the season progresses. Joseph and Richards will both be with the Toros. I have no idea what to expect from Butler, assuming he even makes the team.

ChuckD
06-30-2011, 08:52 PM
To be fair, it's not like getting 60+ wins last season put us in a great position to go far in the playoffs. I certainly wouldn't give minutes to someone like Ryan Richards, who is likely nowhere near contributing. But absorbing some early losses so that players like Splitter, Anderson, and Leonard can play through their mistakes and get comfortable in the rotation seems like a fair trade.

Actually, we were set up fine if Manu doesn't break his elbow in game 82. The Grizz would have been another in a long series of tough first round series, but we would have won and gone on.

ducks
06-30-2011, 10:21 PM
lets just pay duncan 20 million under the table
then sign him for the lle